• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Remember the roof is wood, but the ceiling is stone. If the fire started up top, there's a reasonable chance the main interior space is not burning right now.
I do not know, maybe Notre Dame also have another ceiling above the one that visitors see - a lot of cathedrals have this kind of 'fake' ornament ceiling with real one above it.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Indeed. It's not even the first time it burns. As a matter of fact like many cathedrals, it's not that well designed, and required several "patches" to avoid crumbling.
Sad for tourism, but well we'll just rebuild it.

I'm hoping that you do.

Even then, it'll never be exactly the same as it once was.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Incredibly sad... reminds me of the ongoing debate about the Palace of Westminster's restoration.

These things happen sometimes. It's why we have to treasure the history that survives. :(

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To note - Notre-Dame was sacked and half-ruined in the French Revolution, and that was after decades of neglect. It wasn't until the 19th century that it was restored, rebuilt, and made into the icon it became.

Hugo fixated on architecture as the great book of human history. And tragedies like this are part of that history. Things will be lost, the building will never be the same, but, god willing, something equally beautiful can rise from the ashes.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
If by some miracle the main structure survives and the roof is what gets the worst of it, perhaps it is some small consolation that the spire that fell was itself a 19th century recreation.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Ffs it feels so powerless to see it burning down like this :/
Yeah, reminds me of watching the old Glasgow school of art that was made by Charles Rennie Mackintosh burn down (during rebuilding from a previous fire). Flames were so intense the firefighters couldn't get in for many hours. Horrible, works of art like this just turning to dust is so so sad.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I mean, you'd think the staff would have carried as much valuables as they could before leaving the building, but then again in the heat of the moment maybe not. Maybe some stuff will end up on the black market...

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Imagine being the guy who accidentally set Notre Dame one fire.
We have a suspect.

giphy.gif

I really hope though that the person, if it was an accident, is not treated harshly. Accidents are accidents simply.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is incredibly upsetting to me, the cathedral was among the things my girlfriend cited most frequently when she was studying abroad in France. We were planning to go next year but now it looks like I'll never get to see it.
They'll rebuild it and you'll get to see it in the coming years. It will always remain a part of Paris that will last forever

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
This is leagues beyond damaging paintings .Really hope this was just an accident. Destroying a significant piece of France's cultural history like this intentionally would be unforgivable.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The bit about the roof being oak covered in lead could be concerning. Lead is not superdangerous as it is, but fumes are a whole different thing. Inhalation is one of the ways it gets into your system.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
This is a huge tragedy to art culture/history. The cathedral survived hundreds of years only for this to happen.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Speechless. Hard to even watch on TV.

It's so terrible, what a tragedy.

Vive la France.