• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Hope everyone is okay who was in the area when it started. The potential danger to human life aside, that's a terrible tragedy due to the damage to that beautiful architecture.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
oh god
went there to visit paris back then, beautiful church
hope they kill the fire fast

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
This is a huge cultural loss for everyone, not just theists.

I've never gotten to see it in person :-/

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's... probably doomed.

This is fucking me up badly.

Not necessarily. Even after massive fires it's still possible for buildings like this to be restored. Look what was done with Windsor castle after the fire. Of course, depends on how much damage is done, so we will have to see.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The arrow is on fire, it's lost, it's terrible.
The police and security are expending the safety perimeter, pushing everyone away, they officially fear a collapse of the whole roof.
All tourists were evacuated according to the police.

edit,: and that's it, the roof above the heart of the cathedral has collapsed.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If I'm honest, it feels like every historic building is just one flame away from catastrophic disaster. Do we really not have the technology or the political will to prevent things like this?

The subtext of Smokey the Bear is that just about anywhere there's people there's potential for dangerous fire. There's only so much that can be done to prevent this stuff and often less to actually control it when it does happen.

Horrifying nonetheless.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm honest, it feels like every historic building is just one flame away from catastrophic disaster. Do we really not have the technology or the political will to prevent things like this?

Of course there is. Old buildings such as this are renovated and updated to preserve and make safer such landmarks. Its likely the work being done was doing just that.

While you have building materials and tools you always have the chance of such a fire.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Did not expect it be that out of control. The entire building looks unsalvageable :(

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): Ignoring a staff post.
Can we make jokes now that we know no one is in danger?

zon

Oct 28, 2017
This is an immense loss of European history. Priceless works of art are gone. 😔 I hope they managed to save some of the treasures before the fire reached them.

Looking at the pictures I doubt anything but a shell will be left of the cathedral when the fire has stopped...

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, would they even bother rebuilding it? The footage on the news looks terrible...it doesn't look like it's going to make it.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This is really heartbreaking to me. Norte Dame is the most beautiful building I have ever been to. This looks like a really bad fire too. So depressing to see this happen.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I visited back in 2011.

I was hoping to go back with my family in the future.

Sad to see that it won't be the same.

Last edited:

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck! This is a tragic loss for architecture and culture. Hope everyone got out of there safely, and I hope they can preserve as much of it as possible