• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, so parts of the main vault did collapse into the church below. D:

Going by the image, thankfully it's just two holes rather than the entire thing. I was utterly scared the entire thing would've collapsed when the spire well over, but thankfully it isn't quite that bad.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
This is also a moment where we feel that we are all connected as humans. We are all equal. We feel the same pain. We have differences but we are all connected. We need to love each other. Certainly in these chaotic times. This makes me emotional.
I have been in a couple of discussions here. But in my heart I love you all. WE need to come together. Let your heart light your path in life.
Oh and sorry for being this post. But I found it was needed.

Jul 18, 2018
So, who's going to star in the Hollywood film about this?
Tom Hanks. Make it a spin off from The Da Vinci Code. The Illuminati conspired to create rioting in the streets with the help of the Yellow Jackets. Meanwhile they are able to infiltrate the Cathedral and steal all the important treasures before burning it down. However Hanks was able to figure all this out and replaced the artifacts with fake ones and then was able to stop the spread of the fire from being worse before he runs after the Illuminati in the tunnels they created under the Cathedral.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
The correspondent for one of our national news teams (aus), said that it's well know that the church in rome and paris don't like each other.
But, that the Vatican has tweeted out it's prayers for notre dame.

Anyone hear of this beef, and know what it's about?

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

He's so ignorant it's amazing.

That's not even the worst of it. After that he said something along the lines of "apparently it was caused by renovation. Renovation... not sure what that's about."

He's the dumbest, most uncultured motherfucker. Dude has the brains of a rock and can't even properly articulate the cause of the fire.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So heartbreaking. The loss of irreplaceable history always upsets me in a way that's hard to describe. As an artist and lover of history, it's gut-wrenching to think about. I'm ultimately glad that no one was hurt, and that what was saved was saved, but how tragic.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Hanks. Make it a spin off from The Da Vinci Code. The Illuminati conspired to create rioting in the streets with the help of the Yellow Jackets. Meanwhile they are able to infiltrate the Cathedral and steal all the important treasures before burning it down. However Hanks was able to figure all this out and replaced the artifacts with fake ones and then was able to stop the spread of the fire from being worse before he runs after the Illuminati in the tunnels they created under the Cathedral.

I... I'd actually watch this in theater day one.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that shit went up in flames like a dried up bush.
Hope no one got injured. Think at this point the structure is a total lose.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The correspondent for one of our national news teams (aus), said that it's well know that the church in rome and paris don't like each other.

Basically, before all this, Notre Dame was still an expensive mess of a building to maintain - it employs a bunch of materials and techniques from differing centuries while not always drawing enough revenue to take care of itself; the French government owns the building but leases it to the Church, so they're at odds on who exactly has to foot the bill in such regards.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm thinking hero firefighter film. Like 30 minutes of character development etc then and hour of fighting the fire with the hero inside saving lives and putting it out etc.

Probably someone like Chris Pine

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
This is incredibly sad to see. I remember visiting Norte Dame many years ago as a child and how beautiful this church was. I still have those stupid little coins which tourists can get from there. Now they will remind me of the church before the fire. Coming from a city with an old cathedral myself I can't imagine seeing hundreds of years of history going up in flames. I hope as much as possible can be saved and I hope no more firefighters are getting injured in the process.

You don't need to be French to feel the pain. I love France and its history a lot so I even learn French at home which makes it even harder to swallow for me. Je suis très triste aujourd'hui :'(

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
So part of the main building did survive the fall of the spire.... Thank goodness.

I'm worried about the injured firefighter, though - they did say he had severe injuries.... I hope they aren´t life threatening. He/she and everyone who is working out there tonight are heroes.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As horrific as it looked and is. It looks like things turned out much better then it could have ended. That is amazing and thankful for the firefighters who did what they could to minimize what could have been total loss

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Uh, hundreds of years of history mean a whole lot from my understanding. I'm given to believe that americans' sense of decade old buildings being old is laughable compared to the European perspective where people live among structures that stood since before their grandfather's grandfathers were around. (note I'm American so I cant say personally)
Very common and indeed why the comparison is laughable from a cultural standpoint. To get a sense, the inn down the road from my parents house is thought to have been around since the Domesday Book, in 1086. History surrounds us everywhere in Europe and it's catastrophically devastating to see something like Notre Dame damaged to this extent.

dots

Oct 27, 2017

Couple things. One is the french government owns the church but lets the catholics use it on the condition that they do upkeep, which they are bad at.

two is that there were two popes for a while one in rome one in france and they never truly got over that spat I don't think

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Basically, before all this, Notre Dame was still an expensive mess of a building to maintain - it employs a bunch of materials and techniques from differing centuries while not always drawing enough revenue to take care of itself; the French government owns the building but leases it to the Church, so they're at odds on who exactly has to foot the bill in such regards.

Oh, ok.
I read it more as being between the bishops in france and rome.

Oct 31, 2017
Very common and indeed why the comparison is laughable from a cultural standpoint. To get a sense, the inn down the road from my parents house is thought to have been around since the Domesday Book, in 1086. History surrounds us everywhere in Europe and it's catastrophically devastating to see something like Notre Dame damaged to this extent.

Canterbury?

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
As horrific as it looked and is. It looks like things turned out much better then it could have ended. That is amazing and thankful for the firefighters who did what they could to minimize what could have been total loss

Yeah, amazing work by the firefighters and all involved, absolute kudos. Just hope the guy injured pulls through now, like Notre Dame itself.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
So we have official confirmation that the Crown of Thorns and St. Louis tunic are safe - the BBC got the news directly from the rector of Notre Dame.
No official word on the piece of the True Cross and the nail yet.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Couple things. One is the french government owns the church but lets the catholics use it on the condition that they do upkeep, which they are bad at.

two is that there were two popes for a while one in rome one in france and they never truly got over that spat I don't think

There were 3 at one point... and they each excommunicated the other two.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Truly tragic. I'm glad I got to visit it a year and a half ago, truly gorgeous, the stained glass panels were breathtaking. I hope that they can restore it to its former glory. There's a lot of buildings one fire away from being gone, hopefully this will draw awareness to ensure we can properly protect them in the future.

I hope the Great Pyramid is never hurt. One of the big items in by bucket list.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

Yep.

I didn't realise this until it was mentioned to me earlier, but parts of the church in my relatively small town dates back to the 14th century.

Tbh, the events today have inspired me to pay a bit more attention to the history that surrounds us. I work in London, so maybe I should have a bit of a wander after work some days.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Norwegian. Not swedish.

Any info on what's been saved yet?
The BBC's repoorting that according to the rector of the cathedral, there's a lot of artwork saved, plus official confirmation that they have the tunic of Saint Louis and the Crown of Thorns. There's no official info on either the nail or the piece of the cross, but a reddit post of earlier seems to imply they were both saved from the fire.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Truly tragic. I'm glad I got to visit it a year and a half ago, truly gorgeous, the stained glass panels were breathtaking. I hope that they can restore it to its former glory. There's a lot of buildings one fire away from being gone, hopefully this will draw awareness to ensure we can properly protect them in the future.

I hope the Great Pyramid is never hurt. One of the big items in by bucket list.
The Pyramids have been around for 4500 years and it will be around even longer. Even intentionally trying to destroy it would take a lot of effort.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017

Jep its hard to find cities in europe without some kind of historical objects. The Gymnasium (school) i went to is over 600 years old as an example and the local church is even older and was build around 1247.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The BBC's repoorting that according to the rector of the cathedral, there's a lot of artwork saved, plus official confirmation that they have the tunic of Saint Louis and the Crown of Thorns. There's no official info on either the nail or the piece of the cross, but a reddit post of earlier seems to imply they were both saved from the fire.
Thanks! Firefighters probably went berserk to save as much as possible.