• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
There is something profoundly depressing about this. The revelation that something that was once thought of as an institution revealed to be vulnerable and impermanent. It's difficult not to draw a connection to our current times.

Oct 27, 2017

Firefighter spokesman: 'We're not sure we can prevent the fire from propagating to the north bell tower. If it collapses I'll let you imagine the damage'

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm curious. Are there any depictions of what the cathedral's state was like in the time preceding Victor Hugo's book when the cathedral was, by most accounts, dilapidated? It's certainly not the first time they've done a mass renovation of the cathedral, and by the standards of some of the posters in the thread the building might well be thought of as only a couple hundred years old, not pushing on a millenium.

(incidentally you'll never guess what caused the cathedral to be in such a pitiful state at the start of the 19th century /s)

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
856 years old.

Built during the end of the late-Roman Empire.

Before North and South America were known to even exist.

When flat-earthers ruled the world and the sun revolved around the Earth.

Some good perspective on the importance of this site and what this building has witnessed over the years including the time of Napoleon and the French Revolution, as well as two world wars.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. If the firefighters are warning like that about the north tower, then it must be really bad inside.
I hope they start evacuating anyone from the perimeter of the cathedral, as a precaution in face of an eventual collapse.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. It'll take time though.

I saw somewhere on Twitter people asking about. A historian who work on restoring old buildings wasn't sure. Some techniques that were used are just not know anymore. Lost to time. You might be able to make a building look like it, but there is a genuine risk that they might not be able to do it.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious. Are there any depictions of what the cathedral's state was like in the time preceding Victor Hugo's book when the cathedral was, by most accounts, dilapidated? It's certainly not the first time they've done a mass renovation of the cathedral, and by the standards of some of the posters in the thread the building might well be thought of as only a couple hundred years old, not pushing on a millenium.

(incidentally you'll never guess what caused the cathedral to be in such a pitiful state at the start of the 19th century /s)
We probably won't be able to see the completely rebuilt cathedral in our lifetime though.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
NBC stream is showing the fire as well as the water being shot into the north tower. It's definitely not as bad as the main building, but it's still burning pretty strong.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God, this is so saddening.

I don't want to be pessimistic, but how is that even possible? Much of the art in churches is actually built into the structure. There is no way they could've have brought all that to safety. They literally would have to break things out of the walls or cut paintings out of altars. Well, maybe that's what they did in some cases, but I doubt they had the time to do that to the hundreds of pieces of art in the entire church.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

It's kinda crazy to think it's so old. We usually think of "Romans/Greek/Celts/Germanic Tribes" when we start mentioning "milleniums" in Europe.

If the tower collapses it'll be such a massive loss.. fuck...

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
That's shocking to me since I can't see a single flame coming from it. Must be really bad inside it then.

I was thinking the same thing and just saw a zoomed in camera shot and you could see some flames in there. They don't look very big on the TV but its just one bad angle and they have had at least one hose on it for awhile now.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God, this is so saddening.

I don't want to be pessimistic, but how is that even possible? Much of the art in churches is actually built into the structure. There is no way they could've have brought all that to safety. They literally would have to break things out of the walls or cut painting out of altars. Well, maybe that's what they did, but I doubt they had the time to do that to the hundreds of pieces of art in the entire church.
A lot of it was apparently off site or in the vault due to cleaning/repairs/restoration.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be pessimistic, but how is that even possible? Much of the art in churches is actually built into the structure. There is no way they could've have brought all that to safety. They literally would have to break things out of the walls or cut painting out of altars. Well, maybe that's what they did, but I doubt they had the time to do that to the hundreds of pieces of art in the entire church.

They probably mean the paintings, mobile statues, etc. Everything that's NOT built into the structure.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Damn. If the firefighters are warning like that about the north tower, then it must be really bad inside.
I hope they start evacuating anyone from the perimeter of the cathedral, as a precaution in face of an eventual collapse.
I think they've been gradually moving people back over the evening so hopefully most people are out of the way. Firefighters are most at risk. Saw a shot of licks of flame in what I assume is the north tower, I really hope it doesn't engulf it.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Some smartass americans being like "duh duh it's just a building", like that "building" hasn't been a part of people's lives for twice as long as their country has even existed.

Not at all about being catholic either for french people, most of us are not.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling; long history of prior infractions
was anyone hurt or has died? I hope not. shame to see this go but as long as everyone is safe from such a fire we can be thankful to have witnessed nature take such a beautiful building.

Oct 27, 2017
The Parthenon and the Pyramids and the Great Wall of China and Petra are all "just buildings". That's not the point, and not everything needs "updated".
They will all be gone one day. Some just faster than others. That's human existence. Destruction is an inevitable consequence in a finite universe and a massive fire is just one of those signals to rebuild or make something different but maybe better.