• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a creative director is not enough? that is a person who directly impacted my, and others experience in the game as a whole, i cant say the same about a recruiter.
and you are right, i disagree with some of these threads, i dont think we should report on a random naughty dog developer moving to the initiative or whatever because its pointless, but how does that jutify making a thread on this?

should i make a thread on someone i saw joined GG earlier today? whats the point of filling the entire first page with developers getting recruited?

they are still super small, last i checked they didnt even have an art or animation director.

Like you dont have to click on the thread if it's a topic that doesn't interest you, I know that sounds bonkers but that is an option for you.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
Very weird replies to this thread. If it doesn't matter then don't reply. If it's not relevant news the thread will sink. It already being at almost two pages shows the news is obviously relevant. Scratching my head real hard here.

"This is non news"
"Why are you making a thread out of this"
"This thread is pathetic"

They can save some clicks by ignoring the thread but it's too hard.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
most of these are actually well known developers, we dont make a thread about every employee in the industry, its pointless.
Forum policing is not needed. Just ignore the thread. I found the news useful.

I find the "does X game deserve GOTY" to be obnoxious but refrain from entering and moaning about it.

There's an ignore button to help you out, click it.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I normally wouldn't even bother but here's my few takes for this thread.

1. Thread title should be renamed to "Fiona Cherbak joins Xbox Game Studios as Talent Acquisition Lead (formerly at SIE)"
2. I personally wouldn't had made a thread on this had I heard about this news ( I didn't think the SIE-acquisition thread was worth making too, but that's me) , but there's nothing specifically about this news that makes it non-thread worthy.
3. Threads that aren't discussion-worthy or doesn't have any interest from ERA members are very quickly swept away by other trending topics and will quickly be out of main page, effectively killing any discussion.
4. People have different values or what they feel are worth making a thread/discussing. Like I said - my personal weight for this news doesn't amount to anything more than a post in the XGS first-party thread, but if others feel differently, it's fine.

Bye.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Would be funny if she recruited all the business acquisition people from SIE to Xbox.
You do know how employments work right ? She is not allowed to make contact/take talent from old collegueas if it's in same industry for about 5 years or she could face legal issues .

Ot: good for her .wishing her the best :)

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sounds like a good get
really curious to see what the initiative is working on for next gen

All we know is it's gonna be an "AAAA" game. Obviously that term doesn't really exist officially, but it clearly indicated they're going for some Rockstar levels of big instead of "just" Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Call Of Duty, etc. levels. Of course it's gonna take several years before anything noteworthy materializes from them, so patience's required.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posting moves by recruiters? The enthusiast press has constructed the weirdest view of development and what's important/relevant.
Yah, seriously. These types of threads get weirder and weirder every time they get posted. It's cringey bordering on creepy and honestly just kind of blatantly misrepresenting the perceived "significance" of staff moving around in the games industry. It shows a pretty core misunderstanding of how careers in games work, and how often people (except very top-level execs) move around.

Especially recruitment staff -- recruiting across most technical industries is known to have pretty high turnover/move-on rate. You're not particularly tied to a long-term project.

I'd be pretty disturbed to find a thread/twitter post about my moving between companies, honestly, not being nor having ever been a C-level exec nor anywhere near that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All we know is it's gonna be an "AAAA" game. Obviously that term doesn't really exist officially, but it clearly indicated they're going for some Rockstar levels of big instead of "just" Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Call Of Duty, etc. levels. Of course it's gonna take several years before anything noteworthy materializes from them, so patience's required.
that's a very ambitious goal for a studio for their first game. i hope they succeed tho cuz MS does need more of those games.

Captain_Raoul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at her Linkedin, she moves every year or 3 years. She will be gone before The Initiative has released their first game.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Umm.. How is this relevant as a thread though? Is this meant to be some sort of confirmation that MS knows what their doing? I don't get it.
I mean.. we got this in football, right? Where talent scouts are.... going to scout... literally...find promising talent etc, take the prospect back to the club, convince the prospects family to join your club. But in the gaming world, as the professional one, theres C.V's, advertisements etc. I dont understand how this even matters tbh.

Unless of course she's worked at Sony for 15+ Years and has a knack for recruiting staff from the ground up at studios like Sony Santa Monica or Naughty Dog because those studios have been top notch well before her time at Sony.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes i know, so i do not see how relevant this whole post is, if she moves jobs quicker than we can blink with our eyes.
If you personally don't think it's relevant, ignore it. See the mod post above. No one is forcing you to find it interesting. But since you clicked the thread and participated in it, the topic somewhat seems to be relevant to you, in whatever form.

It's relevant because hiring the recruiter who is responsible for building the team which created a game of the generation candidate shows commitment and the direction The Initiative and XGS is aiming for. Not more. Not less.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going R* level then it's gonna take quite some time to staff 3000 devs lol. You know that AAAA thing was marketing BS, right? they're not coming anywhere near the same scale as R*. MS isn't spending 300-400 million on a single game.

Captain_Raoul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they're going R* level then it's gonna take quite some time to staff 3000 devs lol. You know that AAAA thing was marketing BS, right? they're not coming anywhere near the same scale as R*. MS isn't spending 300-400 million on a single game.

3000 staff in total is not 3000 developers. Also a lot is outsourced, so the actual R* staff is way smaller then that.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Not fully sure on how often these recruiter changes company, but yeah that's a pretty good get for MS considering the staff that SIE was able to get for the past three years and which resulted in high quality games. Really hoping all of this (and all the talent hires before Fiona joining) pays off for both XGS and Xbox in general.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

At this point, who knows? Between Game Pass, xCloud and MTXs, the potential revenue for a 300-400m investment could be enormous. Games like GTA V and Fortnite generated BILLIONS of dollars at this point, so it's entirely possible Microsoft is into that sort of gaming defining accomplishment.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
giphy.gif

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
At this point, who knows? Between Game Pass, xCloud and MTXs, the potential revenue for a 300-400m investment could be enormous. Games like GTA V and Fortnite generated BILLIONS of dollars at this point, so it's entirely possible Microsoft is into that sort of gaming defining accomplishment.
do you realize how absurd it is to invest 400m dollars on a new ip?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If anything gamepass is a reason to go with a smaller budget rather than larger ones since MS seem to be interested with constant flow of games more than few huge blockbusters like Sony. Let alone the fact R* took decades to build "multiple" studios working on a single game and Fortnite didn't take a AAAA team to make it, there's no precedent of MS (or any first party really) going this big. Hell no one in the industry is going this big except R* and to a smaller degree Ubisoft.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
plus there are rumors that suggests initiative is 2 AA teams working on 2 AA games .

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
3000 staff in total is not 3000 developers. Also a lot is outsourced, so the actual R* staff is way smaller then that.
Outsourcing is part of the budget. and I don't think the team is way smaller than that unless most of the +3000 people working at R* are not devs which is unlikely (I tried to find if there was a way of sorting people on R* linkedin page based on their work but couldn't). That's not counting how insane the working hours people there had to work to get a game with that production value.
Just up the A15 in Rockstar Lincoln, more than 300 people work in QA (quality assurance) and localisation.
this's how big R* is.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Where did you see these rumours, you got a link?
it was discussed on XBN podcast and this was posted in an article about initiative studio head 2 months ago:

"However, The Initiative also looks to set expectations going forward, claiming "staying small, and staying agile, will actually be our strength." Followed by words from Gallagher, the studio lead states "the bar is high" and "the challenge for us is making sure we deliver on those expectations." It indicates The Initiative is starting small for its early projects, leveraging a tight team focused on innovation – not scale. "

Games in scale of RDR and GTA need around 3000 employees.this does not seem that way imo

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it was discussed on XBN podcast and this was posted in an article about initiative studio head 2 months ago:

"However, The Initiative also looks to set expectations going forward, claiming "staying small, and staying agile, will actually be our strength." Followed by words from Gallagher, the studio lead states "the bar is high" and "the challenge for us is making sure we deliver on those expectations." It indicates The Initiative is starting small for its early projects, leveraging a tight team focused on innovation – not scale. "

Games in scale of RDR and GTA need around 3000 employees.this does not seem that way imo

That doesn't mention too projects, at all.

They are going to make a AAA game with a strong focus on story and polish, book it.

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
Xcloud isnt going to be the saving grace for Xbox that some think it will be. Gamepass will only get picked up by Xbox players and a portion of pc gamers, the majority of AAA game buyers will always be on playstation and for an xbox game to succeed on the level of billions through mtx it will need to be on PS.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great to me :) .looking forward to it .

The two team part was insider info on XBN podcast

There is no way that they are going to tackle two projects at the same time, no chance. With the talent they have been hiring the studio will be a direct answer to the Xbox doesn't do single player games narrative that keeps getting pushed.

Fingers crossed we get an idea of what they are working on at next E3.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
There is no way that they are going to tackle two projects at the same time, no chance. With the talent they have been hiring the studio will be a direct answer to the Xbox doesn't do single player games narrative that keeps getting pushed.

Fingers crossed we get an idea of what they are working on at next E3.
I doubt it. We might have something in 2021 at the earliest seeing just how few employees it is they have right now.

Jan 21, 2019
All this means is Microsoft will roughly know what games Sony first party are developing. Secondly a few more moves from Sony to Xbox as she will have a good idea who the top talent is.

Status
Not open for further replies.