• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I don't even like any other Miyazaki game

I disagree with some of his philosophies

I primarily plays JRPG's

Sekiro is now one of my favorite games of all time

giphy.gif

Why? Well, aside from the setting being right up my alley, the gorgeous visuals and amazing level design, the interesting story, the game actually having cutscenes and characters (that I care about, too), it feels incredibly unique, especially gameplay-wise.

Sure, you can boil down the gameplay to blocking/deflecting and attacking. But that would probably be the most disingenuous statement on Earth. Because every little thing matters; how hard you pressed a button, how you timed pressing the deflect button, how much the enemy's posture gauge has risen, what type of enemy it is, what type of counters it may have, etc. etc. etc. I can't really be assed to properly put it into words but even right before I faced the final boss I was still learning and re-learning some of the countless intricacies of the gameplay.

And then the Arts and the Prosthetic Tools add another insane layer of depth (and with the Prosthetic Tools, I also learned VERY late that it functions differently depending on if you just pressed R2 or if you held it). And then there's the items. I feel like a majority of enemies have secrets to uncover and certain tools/items/arts make them a lot easier to manage and maybe all of them haven't been discovered yet (or maybe they have).

And then there's incredible shit like being able to possess enemies.

And then there's the fucking INCREDIBLE animations that I never got tired of seeing.
Project-Force.gif

And then there's the swimming; maybe I don't have too much gaming experience, but I think Sekiro has the most fun underwater gameplay I've ever experienced.

Exploring in general was so damn fun and I never got tired of the grappling hook. It felt like every time I moved the camera I discovered another 2 paths that lead to some NPC or treasure or what have you.
RipeNaturalAndalusianhorse-size_restricted.gif

As for the "design philosophies" that I don't agree with: I loved the game DESPITE the difficulty; not because of it. The game felt kind of unfair at the beginning because it threw mini-bosses with numerous enemies (one of which didn't have an idol right next to them), and in usual Miyazaki fashion all mechanics are obscure and in this game in particular some stuff like stealth work in a weird way. It became a lot more manageable as I went on. However, it felt like the further I got, the worse the camera was during mini-bosses/bosses. Like, holy shit.

I will say it was really fun learning some of the attack patterns so I could deflect until deathblowing, but some of the later bosses were UFFFF ridiculous.

The RPG elements in Sekiro still matter, but to actually make a difference you need to grind for, uh, quite a while (which I did). I personally did that for the final few bosses because I just thought they had way too much health especially considering the amount of vitality and posture damage they inflicted. Grinding is not useless at all, even if just for Attack Power (it just takes a while to see actual results).

Secondly, I absolutely love the fact that this game has actual characters and cutscenes but I wouldn't mind.... some more. Lol. Like maybe 20-30 minutes' worth of additional cutscenes. I just really enjoyed the setting, lore, and characters, and wouldn't have minded having more.

Third, while I enjoyed the cutscenes, I think FromSoft has literally only had 1 cutscene director (gives me the same feel as stuff like Lost Kingdoms II in 2003 and Enchanted Arms in 2006) and... I don't think he/she is very good. Just something about the cutscene direction feels off/dated. If they're gonna keep him on I want to see more gorgeous CGI cinematics like the opening interspersed throughout the experience (that was a lie I want more CGI regardless).

latest

It was a 70-hour-long journey. Which, by the way, is the longest save file I've had for a game. I think the 2nd longest file I've had for a game is something like 62 hours. I'm actually sad that there aren't more locations.

I want a sequel so fucking bad.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm glad you liked it, it's one of my favorites as well! I can't wait to replay it and give the boss rush mode a go sometime soon.

Also, you should definitely try doing a playthrough without Kuro's charm. 😁

rude

Oct 25, 2017
There will never be Genichiro DLC where we see how he gets a mortal blade from his POV
There will never be Young Owl DLC where he fights alongside Lady Butterfly
There will never be DLC where Sekiro fights reincarnated Tomoe

why was Sekiro forsaken?

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
From hating it, even coping a ban over it, to it now being one of your favourites. Amazing. lol

I meant to give it a try during that original thread, and still havent got around to it. ><

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure about one of my favourites but it's easily my favourite Miyazaki and FROM game. Glad you enjoyed it as well.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Congrats. You actually got gud. Surpassing that hurdle is what keeps some people from being able to enjoy FROM games. It's really weird but it was the same for me. I started off with DS1 and fucking hated it.
Played Bloodborne and started loving FROM games from then on (I even went back to DS1 and beat it) because it finally "clicked".

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
There will never be Genichiro DLC where we see how he gets a mortal blade from his POV

why was Sekiro forsaken?
The game is begging for an Old Hunters style DLC, it's not even funny. Everything is set up for it already too where we can use the shrine to view a memory of it. Ffs I hate that we didn't get it >_>

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Its an amazing game. I maintain the final boss is Froms best boss and perhaps the best final boss ever. When you've got the fundamentals of the combat down some of the fights truly feel epic.

It take Sekiro 2 over Bloodborne 2 myself.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I also agree, it's one of my favorite games. I've played through it more times than any other FromSoft game, and I like all the Souls games and Bloodborne.

Your journey with the game has been a rollercoaster, lol.

Sep 17, 2020
I also finished a couple days ago
Loved the final boss.
Hatred the demon of hatred though

I prefer soulsborne levels/atmosphere and lore, but prefer Sekiro combat. So..i don't know how to place it.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
if it werent for the masterpiece that is Bloodborne, Sekiro would be my favorite From Soft game (of recent output, at least). its an outrageous triumph and i especially think it absolutely nails that feeling of accomplishment when you take down a boss more than any of the other games in that millieu. the final boss pulls out all the fuckin stops.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
www.resetera.com

Finished Sekiro the other day and I can say with confidence that it’s one of my favorite games of all time

I don’t even like any other Miyazaki game I disagree with some of his philosophies I primarily plays JRPG’s Sekiro is now one of my favorite games of all time Why? Well, aside from the setting being right up my alley, the gorgeous visuals and amazing level design, the interesting story...

www.resetera.com

Sekiro is a great game but imo it is FromSofts weakest game since Dark Souls 2

Sekiro s worst FS game last gen. Period.

ResetEra

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
www.resetera.com

Finished Sekiro the other day and I can say with confidence that it’s one of my favorite games of all time

I don’t even like any other Miyazaki game I disagree with some of his philosophies I primarily plays JRPG’s Sekiro is now one of my favorite games of all time Why? Well, aside from the setting being right up my alley, the gorgeous visuals and amazing level design, the interesting story...

www.resetera.com

ResetEra

damn, people having different opinions, resetera is craazy

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is an amazing game with the best final boss in any from software game. A sequel to that game would be golden.

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

ResetEra
So you're telling me that's two different people having two different opinions?

that's crazy

On topic: I really disliked Sekiro initially (like you did) cause I kept playing like a souls game, but once the combat clicked, and it reeeeally clicked though it took its time, it became one of my fav games of the generation.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to get back to finishing this one. Really phenomenal game, I got totally sucked in and then had hardware issues that distracted me long enough for rust to start forming. Shaking it off as late in the game as I am would be a trial, so I'll probably need to start fresh.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Absolutely love this game. I settled for the "bad" ending because I got stuck on Owl originally lol and I still consider it an all-time favourite.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I dropped it fairly quickly, but it came out right around when my son was born so I lacked a lot of patience...and sleep. I need to give it another try.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Since the release of the original Demon's Souls I tried to get into From Software games again and again and again but dropped all of them sooner or later.

Sekiro is the first one that finally "clicked".

It's also the most modernly designed of their games, making moving around/exploring more fluid and fun, it has very fair placed save points that keep backtracking to a minimum, it has the most focused and fluid combat, without that game-y stamina bar and it gets rid of things like leveling your stats or managing and upgrading tons of different equipment, which to me is nothing but tedious micromanagement.

I think the fluid, modernized movement and no-frills combat is what I was missing in previous Souls games. They felt overloaded with complicated and very game-y mechanics.

Sekiro cuts the crap and offers a wonderfully focused experience.

(It also has a timeless look and on PS5 it runs at beautiful 60fps with almost nonexistent load times)

Last edited:

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017

why was Sekiro forsaken?

I believe they jumped straight into the sequel, the Return ending felt like sequel bait.
The whole Interior Ministry plot seem to be teasing Nobunaga's campaign too imo, maybe as the next villain.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Since the release of the original Demon's Souls I tried to get into From Software games again and again and again but dropped all of them sooner or later.

Sekiro is the first one that finally "clicked".

It's also the most modernly designed of their games, making moving around/exploring more fluid and fun, it has very fair placed save points that keep backtracking to a minimum, it has the most focused and fluid combat, without that game-y stamina bar and it gets rid of things like leveling your stats or managing and upgrading tons of different equipment, which to me is nothing but tedious micromanagement.

I think the fluid, modernized movement and no-frills combat is what I was missing in previous Souls games. They felt overloaded with complicated and very game-y mechanics.

Sekiro cuts the crap and offers a wonderfully focused experience.

(It also has a timeless look and on PS5 it runs at beautiful 60fps with almost nonexistent load times)
I agree with everything you said

I tried giving the Souls games another shot too and I just can't. It's way too sluggish and I miss the more charming NPC's

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's my favorite game of all time.
5 full playthroughs and will do a 6th once I get a Series X some day.
I think the traversal being so fast with the grappling hook and unlimited run is what makes it so much more replayable for me compared to their other games. I can just get around so fast.
I know for a lot of other people the build variety is what they enjoy about Souls so this won't be as much up their alley.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
It's great. My favorite game from FROM.

It's also striking how unappealing the main character is, it's kinda refreshing tbh. I also love the aesthetic how it manages to be have pretty nature but dirty and ragged humans showing the toll of war.

drewchebag

Mar 11, 2018
I love this game so much, and I am always very happy for other people who fall in love with it. I understand why some people do not prefer it to other From games because of its differences from them, but, for me, it is just so fucking satisfying. Hope they revisit it someday.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

why was Sekiro forsaken?
I do think it's mostly because of Elden Ring. Activision should be happy with the sales and the company loves selling DLC, but I'm sure the full FROM team is really busy with the new game, that also seems to be their most ambitious project.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I've complained relentlessly about this game being too hard. And yet I have started it and stopped it three times, getting no further than around 2/3 of the way through.

it's that good, and that much fun. A masterpiece.

(I am on my fourth try now and progressing nicely)

CHC

Oct 27, 2017

why was Sekiro forsaken?

I just wanted a DLC where you played as young sculptor

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I just finished myself last week and now on my second playthrough . Completely agree OP it's my favourite from software game second only to bloodborne

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just defeated Genshiro, what a damn thrill that was. Got through his first two phases without taking any damage as well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

ResetEra
Not surprising when one is a response to the other lol.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dropped sekiro because I stopped playing for a week, got lost, and couldn't figure out which way to go since a lot of the world looked the same...

Was enjoying myself until that.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely and easily my favorite FROM game.

Combat was sublime and beating each boss just had me wanting to go back and fight them again.

Going back to clunky Souls combat has been a pain.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
I very much liked the original Demon's Souls on the PS3, but lost interest in the formula halfway through Dark Souls. I am grateful that FromSoftware took a different route from their past efforts and crafted a truly special game in Sekiro.

Oct 29, 2017
My last notable milestone in this game was beating the guardian ape roughly a year or so ago. I've basically forgotten how to play almost entirely. Should I start over?