• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Posts here, that one "watch guide" poster

suvAMuY.jpg

and even this video

have me convinced. Even getting disney plus specifically for this

will report back as someone with ZERO attachment Star Wars in general besides liking ventress and Grievous in the original clone wars cartoon

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get that chart or when people say to skip episodes. I watched every episode and there was probably episodes I wasn't crazy about but overall, I really enjoyed watching the entire series but maybe that's just me.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
You'll know when to skip an episode within the first act generally, if Droid & JarJar wacky adventures aren't your thing. Definitely don't skip most of the first few seasons like people say.

Oct 29, 2017
Don't skip the honorable mention episodes just because they are not part of the main story arcs or because they are "filler". Tresspass from season one is one of the best episode of the show, feels more like sci-fi than Star Wars usually does.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good, but if you're a fan of Padme's character and her relationship with Anakin I would add Clovis' episodes.
I probably should add that just to flesh out Anakin even more, but I don't think the majority would want watch Clone Wars for Padme or the soap opera.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Watch all the episodes
I'm gonna disagree with this. I just finished watching the entirety of Clone Wars yesterday and I definitely feel like I wasted a lot of my time by watching all of it. There's a lot of unnecessary episodes that neither expand the plot nor develop characters.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I'm gonna disagree with this. I just finished watching the entirety of Clone Wars yesterday and I definitely feel like I wasted a lot of my time by watching all of it. There's a lot of unnecessary episodes that neither expand the plot nor develop characters.
Why do all episodes have to directly be about an overarching plot? The episodes are still fun to watch like the Zillo beast episodes. I can understand not liking the Jarjar episodes. But most are still good episodes even if it doesn't have the story you want. Pretty silly to think you're wasting your time if you still enjoy the episode.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
That's the best way to do it. The graph makes no sense, Maul's arc isn't a must watch, but then one episode of it is? If you skipped all the Maul episodes you'd be so confused by the time you get to the end of the show.

Just pretend all the Honorable Mentions are Must Watch and the chart is perfect. It really only skips the most inconsequential episodes.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
do you folks think i should actually do this?

also yoda's a clever guy, didnt expect to enjoy the first episode that much but the enemy droids having personality helped as well lol

Watch them in the Order they aired. Ignore that chronological shit. Definitely ignore the list in the OP. They put the Mortis arc and return of maul as "honorable mentions".

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States

also yoda's a clever guy, didnt expect to enjoy the first episode that much but the enemy droids having personality helped as well lol
Just watch it in release order. There's no real reason to watch it in chronological order because either way the show will make sense.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Why do all episodes have to directly be about an overarching plot? The episodes are still fun to watch like the Zillo beast episodes. I can understand not liking the Jarjar episodes. But most are still good episodes even if it doesn't have the story you want. Pretty silly to think you're wasting your time if you still enjoy the episode.
It depends on why you're watching the show. If you just want more SW, then sure, watching all of it is great. I watched it for very specific reasons, like an introduction to all the big players like Ahsoka (who's now my favorite character in the franchise), character development for Obi and Anakin, and to have a general idea of what went down during that period of time. So yes, things like the Jar Jar/Windu arc, C3PO/R2D2 arc, droids arc, etc. Were an absolute waste of time for me and completely not worth watching.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I tried, I really did, but I can't deal with the Car Insurance Commercial-tier CGI.

Did they only have ten dollars to make this show?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

Don't bother, there's no real benefit to watching it chronologically. The big events still happen in order, it's only a handful of episodes that are out of sequence. Episode 301 is one of the first ones chronologically, but it's a flashback episode featuring established characters, it's meant to be seen after you've already been introduced to them.

Oct 25, 2017
I tried, I really did, but I can't deal with the Car Insurance Commercial-tier CGI.

Lucas was dumping loads of his personal money into the show to make it much higher quality.

It's the main reason it was canceled when Disney bought it,
They didn't want to put all that money in George did.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
It depends on why you're watching the show. If you just want more SW, then sure, watching all of it is great. I watched it for very specific reasons, like an introduction to all the big players like Ahsoka (who's now my favorite character in the franchise), character development for Obi and Anakin, and to have a general idea of what went down during that period of time. So yes, things like the Jar Jar/Windu arc, C3PO/R2D2 arc, droids arc, etc. Were an absolute waste of time for me and completely not worth watching.
This is true if you're only there for the clones and big three characters there's no reason to watch the rest I suppose. Just make sure you watch character specific episodes that don't tie into the overall plot. Lightsaber lost for instance has nothing to do with the clone wars, but it develops Ahsoka's character.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Second time I'm quoting my own post across 3 different threads. Maybe we need a "Fine, I'll watch Clone Wars" OT.

Alright.

I took the image that's been posted a bunch in here and cross-referenced with every other "these are the Clone Wars episodes you should watch" list that I could find. If an episode was included on one list but not the other, I included it here. As a result, this list includes most episodes. My assumption is the only episodes excluded are the ones that are really shit. I then took the list and merged it with the official chronological order from StarWars.com with the included links to each episode on Disney+.

Mostly posting this for myself so it's easy to get to the next episode on my iPad.

Movie The Clone Wars theatrical release | Stream on Disney+

301 Clone Cadets | Stream on Disney+

102 Rising Malevolence | Stream on Disney+

103 Shadow of Malevolence | Stream on Disney+

104 Destroy Malevolence | Stream on Disney+

105 Rookies | Stream on Disney+

109 Cloak of Darkness | Stream on Disney+

110 Lair of Grievous | Stream on Disney+

115 Trespass | Stream on Disney+

119 Storm over Ryloth | Stream on Disney+

120 Innocents of Ryloth | Stream on Disney+

121 Liberty on Ryloth | Stream on Disney+

201 Holocron Heist | Stream on Disney+

202 Cargo of Doom | Stream on Disney+

203 Children of the Force | Stream on Disney+

217 Bounty Hunters | Stream on Disney+

218 The Zillo Beast | Stream on Disney+

219 The Zillo Beast Strikes Back | Stream on Disney+

205 Landing at Point Rain | Stream on Disney+

206 Weapons Factory | Stream on Disney+

207 Legacy of Terror | Stream on Disney+

208 Brain Invaders | Stream on Disney+

209 Grievous Intrigue | Stream on Disney+

210 The Deserter | Stream on Disney+

211 Lightsaber Lost | Stream on Disney+

212 The Mandalore Plot | Stream on Disney+

213 Voyage of Temptation | Stream on Disney+

214 Duchess of Mandalore | Stream on Disney+

220 Death Trap | Stream on Disney+

221 R2 Come Home | Stream on Disney+

222 Lethal Trackdown | Stream on Disney+

307 Assassin | Stream on Disney+

302 ARC Troopers | Stream on Disney+

304 Sphere of Influence | Stream on Disney+

122 Hostage Crisis | Stream on Disney+

309 Hunt for Ziro | Stream on Disney+

310 Heroes on Both Side | Stream on Disney+

312 Nightsisters | Stream on Disney+

313 Monster | Stream on Disney+

314 Witches of the Mist | Stream on Disney+

315 Overlords | Stream on Disney+

316 Altar of Mortis | Stream on Disney+

317 Ghosts of Mortis | Stream on Disney+

318 The Citadel | Stream on Disney+

319 Counter Attack | Stream on Disney+

320 Citadel Rescue | Stream on Disney+

321 Padawan Lost | Stream on Disney+

322 Wookiee Hunt | Stream on Disney+

407 Darkness on Umbara | Stream on Disney+

408 The General | Stream on Disney+

409 Plan of Dissent | Stream on Disney+

410 Carnage of Krell | Stream on Disney+

411 Kidnapped | Stream on Disney+

412 Slaves of the Republic | Stream on Disney+

413 Escape from Kadavo | Stream on Disney+

414 A Friend In Need | Stream on Disney+

415 Deception | Stream on Disney+

416 Friends and Enemies | Stream on Disney+

417 The Box | Stream on Disney+

418 Crisis on Naboo | Stream on Disney+

419 Massacre | Stream on Disney+

420 Bounty | Stream on Disney+

421 Brothers | Stream on Disney+

422 Revenge | Stream on Disney+

502 A War on Two Fronts | Stream on Disney+

503 Front Runners | Stream on Disney+

504 The Soft War | Stream on Disney+

505 Tipping Points | Stream on Disney+

506 The Gathering | Stream on Disney+

507 A Test of Strength | Stream on Disney+

508 Bound for Rescue | Stream on Disney+

509 A Necessary Bond | Stream on Disney+

501 Revival | Stream on Disney+

514 Eminence | Stream on Disney+

515 Shades of Reason | Stream on Disney+

516 The Lawless | Stream on Disney+

517 Sabotage | Stream on Disney+

518 The Jedi Who Knew Too Much | Stream on Disney+

519 To Catch a Jedi | Stream on Disney+

520 The Wrong Jedi | Stream on Disney+

601 The Unknown | Stream on Disney+

602 Conspiracy | Stream on Disney+

603 Fugitive | Stream on Disney+

604 Orders | Stream on Disney+

610 The Lost One | Stream on Disney+

611 Voices | Stream on Disney+

612 Destiny | Stream on Disney+

613 Sacrifice | Stream on Disney+

705 Gone with a Trace | Stream on Disney+

706 Deal No Deal | Stream on Disney+

707 Dangerous Debt | Stream on Disney+

708 Together Again | Stream on Disney+

701 The Bad Batch | Stream on Disney+

702 A Distant Echo | Stream on Disney+

703 On the Wings of Keeradaks | Stream on Disney+

704 Unfinished Business | Stream on Disney+

709 Old Friends Not Forgotten | Stream on Disney+

710 The Phantom Apprentice | Stream on Disney+

711 Shattered | Stream on Disney+

712 Victory and Death | Stream on Disney+

Don't bother, there's no real benefit to watching it chronologically. The big events still happen in order, it's only a handful of episodes that are out of sequence. Episode 301 is one of the first ones chronologically, but it's a flashback episode featuring established characters, it's meant to be seen after you've already been introduced to them.
I disagree hard. I'm still wat the beginning of the watch list but I really liked having 301 at the very beginning because it let me know that these specific clones are actual characters to remember. I would've watched many episodes with these guys thinking they were just random clones that are different each time.

OP - watch chronologically.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
This is true if you're only there for the clones and big three characters there's no reason to watch the rest I suppose. Just make sure you watch character specific episodes that don't tie into the overall plot. Lightsaber lost for instance has nothing to do with the clone wars, but it develops Ahsoka's character.
Yes, these episodes are essential for sure.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just pretend all the Honorable Mentions are Must Watch and the chart is perfect. It really only skips the most inconsequential episodes.
This. I don't know why people try to pretend this isn't the case every time the chart is posted, to try to discredit it.

Just watch release order. It was how it was intended. It very rarely goes out of chronological order anyways.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I would say Padawan Lost was a better arc for Ahsoka than Lightsaber Lost.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway OP I hope you're ready to spend time with the best 2 Jedi; Plo Koon and Kit Fisto.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This show was literally cancelled because they consistently went overbudget due to Lucas refusing to accept bad CGI. I think your shitty animation detector needs some serious adjustment.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

Looking at the first one or two seasons, those bits have definitely shown their age, but even then it was still cutting edge for the time. Try looking at what other CGI shows were like in 2008 and 2009 and you'll see what I mean. After the season 3 bump though, that's when the show's visuals began to evolve. I believe starting sometime during season 3, the budget was around 2M per episode, and it showed. One of the reasons Disney cancelled the series in the first place was because it was so expensive to maintain, hence Rebels being much lower budgeted in terms of look. Of course, everything's changed with Disney+ resources. The shows can now look as good, if not better than they did before.

For reference, this is how TCW looked in the 2008 movie:

This was the most recent season:

And this is what's coming next year:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the first one or two seasons, those bits have definitely shown their age, but even then it was still cutting edge for the time. Try looking at what other CGI shows were like in 2008 and 2009 and you'll see what I mean. After the season 3 bump though, that's when the show's visuals began to evolve.

For reference, this is how TCW looked in the 2008 movie:

This was the most recent season:

And this is what's coming next year:

New season definitely looks better now that they have Disney money to play with, but I suppose I can't skip to it right?

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
New season definitely looks better now that they have Disney money to play with, but I suppose I can't skip to it right?

Part of the fun IMO is seeing the visuals of the show change along with the darker themes and tone in the stories. You can probably skip a bunch of season 1 episodes, but at least try to watch the Ryloth arc at the end of that season since it gets referenced later. Same with the Rookies episode at the start of the season.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Here's another cool observation. The planets in early seasons looked bright and cheery like this:

74e4437f0b8ca9e56b1ebc4dcaf36dd7.jpg

But eventually mellowed out into a more realistic style like here (not the same planet but you get the idea):

latest

Melmer

Sep 18, 2020
UK
Rob Zacny, Alicia Acampora, Natalie Watson, and Austin Walker just started a clones wars watch along podcast 👍🏻
amorecivilizedage.net

A More Civilized Age: A Star Wars Podcast: 01: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

"It's like poetry. They rhyme." What ever happened to the glory days of the Galactic Republic? Did it all fall apart because of the masterful manipulations of a dark lord of the Sith? Or may there have been some cracks in the foundation already? Join Rob Zacny, Alicia Acampora, Natalie Watson...

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
It's decent, considering it's polishing the turd that is the prequel trilogy. Don't believe people saying it is the best Star Wars has ever been. The last 4 episodes of Season 7 are particularly strong.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget to watch Rebels when you're done. Show was so good it made me cry.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Seasons 1 and 2 can be a bit bumpy and it does take some time to get used to the animation at the beginning, but trust us when we say it is worth it. I legitimately enjoy the best Clone Wars arcs a lot more than the movies. I watched in chronological the first time around, but I don't think it is necessary. Some episodes in seasons 2 and 3 are prequels to episodes that happened a season before, but you can usually understand them just fine. Chronological is a lot more cohesive in my eyes.