• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.ft.com/content/56a92098-a372-11e9-974c-ad1c6ab5efd1

In early Tokyo trading, the stock rose as much as 4.5 per cent to ¥41,780 ($386.5), or its highest level since October. That also puts the shares on track for their biggest one-day gain since April.
The jump in the Kyoto-based company's share price came on the back of its announcement of the Switch Lite, a budget edition of its best-selling Switch gaming system. The new version, which is due for release on September 20, will sell for $199.99. It comes with more basic features than the current Switch, which combines handheld and living room-based gaming.
Investors hope the new device will boost demand for the Switch, which has sold about 35m units worldwide since its 2017 launch. It has a library of about 2,000 games - including titles based on its popular 'Super Mario' and 'Legend of Zelda' franchises - most of which will be compatible with the Switch Lite. "Investors should see the Switch as way for Nintendo to substantially increase the install base and prolong the life-cycle of the console for years," said Dr Serkan Toto, an independent video games analyst in Tokyo.
"This device will be a mega hit." Analysts said that with the Switch Lite, Nintendo was targeting the millions of users that had bought a 3DS - the company's older handheld system, but had yet to upgrade to the Switch. "This lower-priced version should add fuel to (the) fire as this price-point directly targets those 75m 3DS owners who do not own a Switch – yet," said Atul Goyal, an analyst at Jefferies. "We have no doubt that this option will boost demand for both hardware and high-margin software."

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Even though I'm not interested on the lite since I already have the OG model, I can certainly see it selling gangbusters this holiday, especially with freaking Pokémon.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I only have a few stocks, more for fun than for actually serious investment, but yeah, I've noticed the stock has been doing pretty well the last couple days.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to see Nintendo dominating this holiday season, hopefully they can take advantage of that to its fullest.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've mentioned it a few times on here but I've held ntdoy since the GameCube era and first got in at like 11 dollars when I was about 16 years old. Ive of course bought and sold multiple times since then but never completely got out of it, so it's my longest held investment. In the past few years, Wii U and the recent dip last year especially, Ive got a lot more shares on the cheap. I'm something like 1700 shares now of ntdoy. Probably will sell off some at the end of the year if the price holds or continues up like I expect, and will enjoy a nice payday thanks to my silly love of videogames. Whodathunkit.

Sep 25, 2018
I've mentioned it a few times on here but I've held ntdoy since the GameCube era and first got in at like 11 dollars when I was about 16 years old. Ive of course bought and sold multiple times since then but never completely got out of it, so it's my longest held investment. In the past few years, Wii U and the recent dip last year especially, Ive got a lot more shares on the cheap. I'm something like 1700 shares now of ntdoy. Probably will sell off some at the end of the year if the price holds or continues up like I expect, and will enjoy a nice payday thanks to my silly love of videogames. Whodathunkit.

Share some wealth

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Lite + Pokemon this holiday... Lite + Animal Crossing Q1 2020...
Yeah, the Lite will do well.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yep.

Yet the wannabe analysts on the main thread are still piping about it being a bad call lol.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Plenty of kids gonna get their little Switch lites these holidays. Nintendo gonna make bank man.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
So, Nintendo not doomed?
giphy.gif

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I only bought 2 shares myself after the post-E3 dip but I really wish I bought them pre-Switch announcement. Would've done really well.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So sorry for bump of old thread but it's basically a follow up to this news/thread. Since the launch of the Switch Lite, and Mario Kart Tour... Both seemingly successful launches, the stock has tanked ~14%! Totally the opposite of what I expected to happen... Anyone here have any ideas what the deal is? I fail to see the Lite or Kart disappointing expectations that much

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So sorry for bump of old thread but it's basically a follow up to this news/thread. Since the launch of the Switch Lite, and Mario Kart Tour... Both seemingly successful launches, the stock has tanked ~14%! Totally the opposite of what I expected to happen... Anyone here have any ideas what the deal is? I fail to see the Lite or Kart disappointing expectations that much
because stock markets are finicky. they need no reason. stop paying it mind

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Why would you assume the Lite has been a success so far?

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Buy on speculation, sell on results.

Oct 26, 2017

Mario Kart Tour does not seem like it was a very successful launch to me.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
No speculations needed. Switch OG has more functionalities than Switch Lite.

Functional > Pricey

Buy on speculation, sell on results.

We call them "Wall Street Bets."

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
There's no reason to assume it's a failure unless you're making blatantly bad faith arguments.
Who is assuming it's a failure? Bad faith argument? What's wrong with you? I asked how do we know if it's actually a success. You wishing for it to be a success doesn't make it one, and someone else wishing for it to be a failure doesn't make it that either. What makes it a success is meeting/exceeding the makers own estimates.

Apr 21, 2018
I bought Nintendo Stock, lots of it, inbetween the Switch announcement and Super Mario mobile release. 1.5 years later, after the Switch's first holiday, I have made about $10,000 CDN.

This is why I can't complain about full-price MSRP on Tropical Freeze and Link's Awakening.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I assume the drop is either people who expected MKT to be as big as Pokémon GO (haven't checked the data to tell if it is or not, but it certainly isn't making as many headlines which might as well mean it flopped in the eyes of some shareholders) or they expect Pokémon to underperform due to controversy, which imho won't be the case. It could also be that Nintendo now decided to put back on the market the portion of their shares that they bought earlier this year since they knew they were under-valued, causing the current market to have an over-abbundance of their titles (shouldn't worry Nintendo since they bought when they were way under 300€)

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Tracking groups like NPD seem pretty happy with the results so far and cite it as the reason why the Switch sold so high last month. There's no reason to assume it's a failure unless you're making blatantly bad faith arguments.

Did we ever get like a % breakdown between the 2 from NPD, or any numbers in general on the lite?

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to assume it's a failure unless you're making blatantly bad faith arguments.
Is "bad faith" just a catch-all term now for "comment/opinion I disagree with" ?

Switch Lite being a success/failure will be determined by its holiday performance relative to Nintendo's expectations. We simply don't have enough data at this point to say one way or the other imo.

Oct 25, 2017
standard buy and sell status quo, there have been speculative talks of a weaker than expected quarter so shares are being sold prior to the fiscal report on the 31st, so wait a week for official numbers.

Last edited:

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Maybe investors are afraid that there aren't many growth opportunities left now that the Lite is out? That the Switch momentum might slow down next year? I personally think they might be right, even though the eShop revenue will definitely grow in the foreseeable future.