• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

New: Trump has asked the Supreme Court to bar his accounting firm from turning over eight years of his tax returns to Manhattan prosecutors.

The case could yield a major ruling on the scope of presidential immunity from criminal investigations. https://t.co/d0RyCWyage

I wonder how much a stolen SC seat is worth. The arguments used in front of the lower courts were abysmal to say the least.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have almost zero hope left for America....

....but I actually fully believe the SC either:

- won't take this case
- will side with the lower courts

Oct 27, 2017
As we stated in the other thread, the Supreme Court would be crazy to touch this, because whichever way they rule is going to have crazy ramifications for the future.

Wonder how expedited their decision will be in this case?

May 21, 2018
I'm almost expecting them to say that only Congress can constitutionally impeach/hold the president accountable so they overturn the lower court rulings.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't think SC will take it...this is the endgame to see if any independence still exists in America's court system.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Supreme Court will announce whether they're even hearing the case (unlikely?) in the next month. If they *do* decide to rule, the verdict should be done around June.

Not sure if this subpoena means that the documents would be released to the public, though?

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt they even take the case. But even if they did, I don't think Roberts would remotely entertain this, so the decision should stand.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this subpoena means that the documents would be released to the public, though?
Right, the subpoena is so NY state prosecutors can get the docs. They wouldn't become public unless they're included as, like, exhibits in an indictment/trial. Well, unless they're leaked, but NY state fighting to get sensitive/embarrassing documents on the president and then leaking them without formally accusing anyone of wrongdoing sounds like a good way to give SCOTUS a pretext to decide that state prosecutors shouldn't be able to subpoena the president's info after all

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you think Roberts will side against Trump? I see a lot of people saying that, but I don't understand it.
Roberts was one of the votes in favor of letting ACA (Obamacare) stand. People have interpreted that Roberts cares more about SCOTUS's legacy as an independent institution based in law than he cares about personal political wins.
edit:
Roberts has overturned precedence in cases the SC has taken up than not. He's all talk, or dems/independents just like to assume the best which, as we all know by now, is always the right way to go about things and nothing bad will ever happen by assuming the best in people.
I like this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roberts was one of the votes in favor of letting ACA (Obamacare) stand. People have interpreted that Roberts cares more about SCOTUS's legacy as an independent institution based in law than he cares about personal political wins.

Roberts has overturned precedence in cases the SC has taken up than not. He's all talk, or dems/independents just like to assume the best which, as we all know by now, is always the right way to go about things and nothing bad will ever happen by assuming the best in people.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting though.

Can you imagine a Supreme Court judge voting in favor of criminal immunity for a sitting president?

Just saying that sounds disturbing.

And that's exactly why they likely won't take it, nevermind rule in his favor.

Even if we assume they're partisan hacks you still arrive at that same conclusion since the rule would apply to all presidents.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'll just do what did the during the 2000 election. Vote in favor of Trump and say this can't be used as precedence.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
This is the REAL TEST for our democracy and the future of the Republic. If SCoTUS actually takes this up and votes along party lines, based on politics and not precedence, then all semblance of checks and balances are gone and all is lost. This is not impossible. The same thing happened in Poland in 2015 with their judicial system and their current constitutional crisis. This is the G.O.P's real end game. Trump is stacking the courts with conservative loyalists. He appointed more judges in his first 200 days than Obama, Bush, or Clinton. If they control the judiciary and become partisan things will become really scary.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Non U.S. here. Is there a reason why the IRS hasn't gotten involved in this issue? I mean they did take down Al Capone.

If it was any normal Joe in the street, they'd be on their asses to get those tax records off them.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go! I'm pulling for the SC to do the right thing, but my heart says America is just too broken.

Am I a fool to have some hope though?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I doubt the SC will take it up, and if they do I really doubt Roberts will vote for the abolition of the rule of law.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they do what he wants this country is unfortunately is in more trouble than people think. Who knows what he will have power to do after.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are coming out, one way or another.

Trump better hope he doesn't have anything to hide.

šŸ˜‚

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Non U.S. here. Is there a reason why the IRS hasn't gotten involved in this issue? I mean they did take down Al Capone.

If it was any normal Joe in the street, they'd be on their asses to get those tax records off them.

Paying someone off probably or they are afraid of being sued.

It's amazing how Trump has never been caught for the mountains of likely fraud and money laundering he has been up to. A number of agencies should have been on his case long before his presidency.