• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Great looking game, but a super disappointing story and a real lack of cohesion between the characters due to the way it told its story. Kinda felt like a game built purely out of side quests/side stories from a main FF game.

never finished it so maybe it picks up?

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Bravely Default 2 right now and reeeeally missing Octopath. BD2 falls victim to vaseline screen pretty bad whereas Octopath was a pleasure to look at all the way through. I especially enjoyed the simple battle screen. Exactly what I want from that kind of game and I hope we get more like it

Oct 25, 2017
Great looking game, but a super disappointing story and a real lack of cohesion between the characters due to the way it told its story. Kinda felt like a game built purely out of side quests/side stories from a main FF game.

That's the intent of the short story format. Very similar to SaGa Frontier /Unlimited SaGa in that regard, with short stories that are finally diverse. OT has much more character interaction, however, and there's not the repeat content that normally comes with different playthroughs.

Playing Bravely Default 2 right now and reeeeally missing Octopath. BD2 falls victim to vaseline screen pretty bad whereas Octopath was a pleasure to look at all the way through. I especially enjoyed the simple battle screen. Exactly what I want from that kind of game and I hope we get more like it

BD2 will likely do well enough to justify ports. The game would look pretty good on PC with a super high resolution mixed with the depth effects.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful looking and beautiful sounding. They definitely nailed the sensory experience of playing the game.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I remember playing the Switch demo back in 2017 I think and really digging the art style. Never got around to buying the full game, but now that it's about to hit Game Pass I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
I understand why a lot of people don't care for the game and their gripes, but it's one of my absolute favorites of this gen. Up there with God of War and Breath of the Wild for me. I know. Sounds crazy. But I got so much enjoyment out of it. Same for Three Houses!

OP
OP
Buckle

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Shit.

This game doesn't pull punches.

Me: "She seems nice."

Octopath Traveller:

MksXUyG.jpg

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I was skeptical of the whole HD-2D thing, but I have this game on PC and wow damn shit is it stunning. It's so *weird* looking but in a good way.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
I have the Switch version that I bought at launch but still haven't played. Now that it's coming to Gamepass, should I play it on Series X, PC, or stick to Switch?

OP
OP
Buckle

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
One feature of this game that doesn't get enough love is the ability to pick fights with any villager you want. Poor bastards.

You see an innocent town grandpa just minding his own business? You can beat the crap out of him.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I thought the same initially, but as I progressed through the game there was one thing I just couldn't help but find extremely disappointing: the spritework. The game looks gorgeous in screenshots and backgrounds never cease to impress, but the sprites have so few different animations it's almost baffling. Each playable character has exactly one smooth-looking animation: the one you see when they use their unique field skill. The rest is just a bunch of "arms raised", "eyes closed" basic two-frame animations that's the same as every basic NPC. Really poor stuff compared to the likes of FF6.

I mean, one of your characters is a dancer and they didn't bother giving her a dancing animation. She just has a couple of poses and the screen fades to black whenever she's on stage.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Switch version that I bought at launch but still haven't played. Now that it's coming to Gamepass, should I play it on Series X, PC, or stick to Switch?

xbox if you play on the TV mostly imo, 60 fps is great and load times are really great. if you are gonna play mostly portable then obviously switch is better. Plus you get achievements on xbox.

I've been playing for a week or so, ~4 hours or so. Some of the visuals are pretty good, the music is great, but some of the visuals look incredibly bad to me (on a series X). I can't even tell sometimes what some of the background stuff is supposed to be, mountains and stuff look awful, and the mini map is really bad so far. Still, enjoying it for the most part although my most recent JRPG is Dragon Quest XI-S and I'd rate that as far better in pretty much everything, but its not really a fair comparison either.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the same initially, but as I progressed through the game there was one thing I just couldn't help but find extremely disappointing: the spritework. The game looks gorgeous in screenshots and backgrounds never cease to impress, but the sprites have so few different animations it's almost baffling. Each playable character has exactly one smooth-looking animation: the one you see when they use their unique field skill. The rest is just a bunch of "arms raised", "eyes closed" basic two-frame animations that's the same as every basic NPC. Really poor stuff compared to the likes of FF6.

I mean, one of your characters is a dancer and they didn't bother giving her a dancing animation. She just has a couple of poses and the screen fades to black whenever she's on stage.
Agreed, they could have done a lot more in the animation department, it clearly had a smaller budget than most RPGs.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
xbox if you play on the TV mostly imo, 60 fps is great and load times are really great. if you are gonna play mostly portable then obviously switch is better. Plus you get achievements on xbox.

I've been playing for a week or so, ~4 hours or so. Some of the visuals are pretty good, the music is great, but some of the visuals look incredibly bad to me (on a series X). I can't even tell sometimes what some of the background stuff is supposed to be, mountains and stuff look awful, and the mini map is really bad so far. Still, enjoying it for the most part although my most recent JRPG is Dragon Quest XI-S and I'd rate that as far better in pretty much everything, but its not really a fair comparison either.
I love DQXIS, but Octopath has both a better and deeper battle system + a way better soundtrack.

Still, they are two of my favorite JRPGs of the generation.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of dropped off the game after I unlocked all the characters but it is gorgeous and the OST is amazing.

Primrose's theme is one I revisit often and I even have it set up on my bard in FF14 thats how much I love it.

Hopefully we get another turn-based RPG with this art style and a more traditional story in the future.

Project Triangle looks great but I know that I dont have the willpower to see a tactical RPG through to the end.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Stick to the Switch, then you can go portable if you need. The game doesn't really need 60fps with the type of game it is.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I loved the art style and the story, I just wish there was a bit more to the overworld/chapter structure. It all felt very repetitive.