• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First TLJ thread of 2021?

Yay...
IHKVpFC.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
One of the better SW movies.

The light speed ram and Luke's force projection were very cool, disagree with you there.

I believe JJ Abrams set the sequel trilogy to dissapoint, by creating a generic new emperor as the villian, doing a boring lineage mystery again, and making the original protogonists fates, look so sad.

I feel RJ did make a pretty entertaining film, with such a bad set up for the sequel trilogy.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a fascinating and unique concept for a thread.

Coming soon: Let's Talk About Pineapple On Pizza.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Look, theres something i dont understand in these discussions. I am not a star wars fan, i find them just okay-sh movies at best, and i hate the fandom. Last jedi is also just an ok movie, it has good cinematography and editing, but its plagued with all these things that annoy me in blockbusters, which is the amount of sarcasm at all times and how weird and honestly cringy the dialogue is, but this is in all star wars movies. All of them.

What i dont understand is why some people act as if its a hard to understand experimental arthouse movie, its a stupid space fantasy with very simple messaging. Luke believe the jedi were bad things, kylo ren wants it to die, but rey and others tell them that theres merit in failure and that even tho bad things came from the jedi and old times, they also inspired a new generation and now everyone can be a jedi,or those old heroes(aka, star wars as a franchise created a toxic fandom and a lot of long term annoying trends, but it also inspired people irl and gave new creators inspiration,so it should be preserved not attacked). Its really not complicated, but theres a bunch of videos out there going "how last jedi hates star wars" or "decrypting last jedi, what it really meant". My guys, this is not a david lynch movie, how can you have trouble understanding anything about it.

If anything my problem with that movie is that rian is too good a person and he is wrong. It is not worth it to celebrate star wars over criticizing it, as the reaction that the toxic part of the fandom had to this move proves it. Star wars was better dead since the 70s.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it sucked. Only Starwars movie I haven't watched again or purchased. Thought it was boring, and the story was bad IMO. Almost felt like a filler episode or something. Rise sucks too though. The only decent one is the first. As a trilogy I thought it was terrible and I don't have any desire for them to revisit any of the characters. Just time skip to adult Grogu and new characters with a MUCH better thought out plan.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of the better SW movies.

The light speed ram and Luke's force projection were very cool, disagree with you there.

I believe JJ Abrams set the sequel trilogy to dissapoint, by creating a generic new emperor as the villian, doing a boring lineage mystery again, and making the original protogonists fates, look so sad.

I feel RJ did make a pretty entertaining film, with such a bad set up for the sequel trilogy.

I told myself I wasn't going to reply to this thread and get sucked into this conversation again, but yes. This.

Considering how much TFA ties the story to a familiar path, the fact that RJ managed to create a story the moves the characters (most of them, really) and the plot forward, to a new place nonetheless (whislt still probably working under tight constraints of where Disney would allow the story to go, i.e.: FinnPoe), is nothing short of amazing.

Had he bit the bait and went for all the familiar story beats that were being indicated in TFA, TLJ would have been a boring and predictable film.

Besides, if one wants more of the original trilogy, one already has the OT to watch.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought The Last Jedi would be the only SW movie I'd never want to watch again. I fucking hated it.

Then I watched Rise of Skywalker.

Both crap movies for entirely different reasons :/

One tried too hard to be edgy and subversive, the other tried too hard to be safe and generic. There's a fine line between surprising your viewers and giving them what they want and both films utterly failed to find that balance.

The Mandalorian seems to strike that balance more often than not, at least, but there are folks who seem to think that a show that exists as a love letter to Star Wars shouldn't have Star Wars characters or references in it. Which is a shame.

After having read a good chunk of Light of the Jedi, I actually think that's a great direction for the franchise to go in. I love how there are so many Jedi working together, woven together, in their efforts and challenges and all the technology they used when they weren't generals in an army is awesome.

To think, if the sequel trilogy had allowed Luke Skywalker to actually succeed in rebuilding the Jedi Order, we could've had a trilogy of movies where the Jedi were as inspiring and awe-inspiring as they seemed to be during the High Republic era.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I don't think its as bad as some say, i don't think its as good as some say, i think people on those extremes are trolling
but please please lets all agree on one thing

They did John Boyega dirty in this and Rise of Skywalker
Oh and yeah close the thread

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought The Last Jedi would be the only SW movie I'd never want to watch again. I fucking hated it.

Then I watched Rise of Skywalker.

Both crap movies for entirely different reasons :/

Good post lol. It always makes me a little sad when I look at my shelf and I see the prequel and og blu ray box set, the Force Awakens, Rogue One, and then nothing more.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It certainly isn't the second coming of Christ that some are want to make it sound like but TROS was just so bad like "transformers "bad...like "how did this get approved" bad.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I am still angry how it sidelined Finn... I still think Finn should of been the focus of the trilogy but whatever...

Genuinely, this is my only beef with the film as otherwise I think it's great but Finn is a total non-factor in Last Jedi and what story he does have is dumb as hell.

Rise of the Skywalker on the other hand, holy shit that movie sucked. I'll take the prequels over that pile of shit. That movie is borderline salt the earth territory in that my desire to see a new Star Wars movie after that is basically zero.

Oct 30, 2017
over/under on how many pages this thread will go for absolutely no reason? i'm gonna set it at 12 (100 posts a page)

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of get the opinion of the OP and others.

That being said. It's still my second favorite over all. Mainly I enjoy that:
a) in my opinion, it's truly the only Star Wars movie to try anything really new since Empire
b) it's a great throwback to the fact that they're all just space samurai, space wizards and space cowboys and is probably the first since ANH that truly shows this
c) it features actual character growth and consequences plus Mark Hamill's performance is truly great

Then again, I'm indifferent about The Mandalorian over all, but love the weird shit in there (frog lady) and would be happy to never see another "cool lightsaber fight" ever in Star Wars again.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It's a critical success because it's a very good film. The best since the original trilogy without a doubt.

As a piece of fiction to expand the Skywalker mythos and land the series' existing tropes it's not a good film.

The responses in this thread will reflect which side of the coin individuals fall on the above. And this will be the case until the end of time, unfortunately.

Did you want Snoke to be the big spooky baddy? Did you want Rey to be a Skywalker? Did you want Luke to be this all-powerful super wizard who remains the absolute bastion of light and goodness in the universe? If yes to one or all of these then you probably won't enjoy the film.

As someone who loves TLJ, its biggest flaw to me is how little it connects to the two films around it. I can see why people would dislike it in that regard; its best moments for me only work with a connected third film, which will no longer ever come to fruition (e.g. the birth of Kylo Ren as the main villain, Rey being a nobody and what that means for the Jedi order moving forwards). It's a shame as walking out of the cinema those things were so exciting for me, particularly because they were trying to do something new in a film franchise that has been creatively bankrupt for over two decades (including TFA).

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think I will go back and watch it one day. At the time I found the last third of the film tiresome, but after Rise of Skywalker I may have a new appreciation for it.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I completed a full viewing of the entire 10 movie series over the Christmas holidays (technically 11 but Solo is more of a bastard spinoff like the Ewoks films, and also I just watched it a couple of months prior).

TLJ has problems, there's some dumb shit and the movie takes too long. But it's also easily the best of the sequel trilogy (but not the best of the Disney movies, which is Rogue One), where the other two movies in the sequel trilogy don't really elevate above prequel territory.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the best SW movie and Rian Johnson helming an entire trilogy is probably the only way Disney can get me excited about something Star Wars related again.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't think its as bad as some say, i don't think its as good as some say, i think people on those extremes are trolling
but please please lets all agree on one thing

They did John Boyega dirty in this and Rise of Skywalker
Oh and yeah close the thread
No I don't agree. He has a pretty big role, and the character growth that makes him a resistance fighter. Most of TFA was him not wanting to be in the resistance either.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I don't love it but Luke's framing is pitch perfect Star Wars. Rian's ideas were infinitely more interesting than whatever the fuck JJ and co were cooking up, and made perfect contextual sense in a post-OT universe. The burden put on Luke after everything he'd seen and experienced perfectly contextualises the stress and anxiety he would have been under, and his impulsive reaction when faced by a looming threat. He's a man who's had to wear the burden of the force almost exclusively alone, and it's no surprising it buckled him. The climax of him finally coming to peace with it and demonstrating its power through pacifistic manipulation of egomaniacal evil demonstrated true, absolute mastery of the light side. To manifest his being anywhere he wished in the universe and ruse his enemies into their own undoing, without delivering a single blow of his own.

To have him accomplish this and vanish into nothing is the best of endings for his character and I absolutely adore Rian for doing this.

But it doesn't really matter. The entire sequel trilogy was a wet fart as a whole and The Rise of Skywalker is genuinely one of the worst fucking blockbusters I've ever seen in my life.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't love it but Luke's framing is pitch perfect Star Wars. Rian's ideas were infinitely more interesting than whatever the fuck JJ and co were cooking up, and made perfect contextual sense in a post-OT universe. The burden put on Luke after everything he'd seen and experienced perfectly contextualises the stress and anxiety he would have been under, and his impulsive reaction when faced by a looming threat. He's a man who's had to wear the burden of the force almost exclusively alone, and it's no surprising it buckled him. The climax of him finally coming to peace with it and demonstrating its power through pacifistic manipulation of egomaniacal evil demonstrated true, absolute mastery of the light side. To manifest his being anywhere he wished in the universe and ruse his enemies into their own undoing, without delivering a single blow of his own.

To have him accomplish this and vanish into nothing is the best of endings for his character and I absolutely adore Rian for doing this.

But it doesn't really matter. The entire sequel trilogy was a wet fart as a whole and The Rise of Skywalker is genuinely one of the worst fucking blockbusters I've ever seen in my life.
Yep, it's like when Obi-Wan said fuck it and let Darth Vader kill him, but well directed and with earned pathos. It also ties back into that because of his realization that he is like Obi-Wan when Yoda says "Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters.".

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Probably the best of the new trilogy

But man. I don't terribly care for Star Wars and yet even I was disappointed with how they treated Luke.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Rey and Kylo Ren found a new sense of independence, separated from traditional Star Wars rules.

Poe learned the hard choices required to be a leader of a movement.

Finn, thanks to Rose Tico, finally found something greater to believe in than his own self interests.

Luke Skywalker saved the day by rediscovering the hero everyone thought he was. And did so in the most Luke way ever. By basically refusing to fight.

You're right. It's a bad movie.

Seriously though, it's my favorite on a storytelling, thematic, and even visual perspective. Cinematography is outstanding.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Look, theres something i dont understand in these discussions. I am not a star wars fan, i find them just okay-sh movies at best, and i hate the fandom. Last jedi is also just an ok movie, it has good cinematography and editing, but its plagued with all these things that annoy me in blockbusters, which is the amount of sarcasm at all times and how weird and honestly cringy the dialogue is, but this is in all star wars movies. All of them.

What i dont understand is why some people act as if its a hard to understand experimental arthouse movie, its a stupid space fantasy with very simple messaging. Luke believe the jedi were bad things, kylo ren wants it to die, but rey and others tell them that theres merit in failure and that even tho bad things came from the jedi and old times, they also inspired a new generation and now everyone can be a jedi,or those old heroes(aka, star wars as a franchise created a toxic fandom and a lot of long term annoying trends, but it also inspired people irl and gave new creators inspiration,so it should be preserved not attacked). Its really not complicated, but theres a bunch of videos out there going "how last jedi hates star wars" or "decrypting last jedi, what it really meant". My guys, this is not a david lynch movie, how can you have trouble understanding anything about it.

If anything my problem with that movie is that rian is too good a person and he is wrong. It is not worth it to celebrate star wars over criticizing it, as the reaction that the toxic part of the fandom had to this move proves it. Star wars was better dead since the 70s.
People here get their media literacy from comics, anime, generic TV, and Cinemasins, so anything more complicated than that just puts these kids in a tizzy

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's like when Obi-Wan said fuck it and let Darth Vader kill him, but well directed and with earned pathos. It also ties back into that because of his realization that he is like Obi-Wan when Yoda says "Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters.".

Yep. It's a magic moment.

I know a lot of people wanted their Master Luke power fantasy but it just never sat well with me. This is a boy that lived during a period of literal galactic genocide and fascism, saw the only two people who taught him the way of the force die in front him of him, confronted the reality that his own father was a major instigator in events that lead to the murder of billions of innocents, and was ultimately left alone as the last remaining loosely trained master of an ancient magic religion (his sister being a follow up, obviously, but then untrained).

He literally had the burden of the entire Jedi and force on his shoulders. Everything. He was alive in the period of time where the worst the force could be was made reality. He was by far the most prime candidate to have a crisis of faith from the weight of duty and consequence when he had the visions he had. He didn't really have anyone to lean on, only ghosts of the past.

Having him break is justifiable, and having him ultimately come full circle in and end and see himself for what he is and the role he plays was Star Wars brilliance. Totally justified and earned, climatic in a big, memorable moment that absolutely fit everything we've come to learn from what it means to be a Jedi.

There's a lot of bits and pieces in TLJ that I don't like (I found a lot of the Finn stuff super boring, even if I like Kelly Marie Tran and she was unjustifiably sidelined in TROS), but the Luke stuff was *chef kiss*.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when we did a poll on here and 2/3rds liked it?

Yeah, you're in the minority, OP. Movie is fantastic.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Why are the bombers dumb? The bombs were on rails being propelled towards the star destroyer. Once they stop being accelerated by the rails they remain at their speed until impact. No gravity needed.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

It's pretty easy to understand. Or so you would think, but looking at how many people still to this day fail to understand TLJ and just misinterpret every point to say that RJ just wanted to crap on Star Wars, I don't know, it would look that it was harder than you might think.

The line of "it's not worth it" is probably what Disney execs and JJ thought when making TROS. But it was worth it, it's just that Disney hates controversies. A proper follow up closing the trilogy will never me made.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

It's pretty easy to understand. Or so you would think, but looking at how many people still to this day fail to understand TLJ and just misinterpret every point to say that RJ just wanted to crap on Star Wars, I don't know, it would look that it was harder than you might think.

The line of "it's not worth it" is probably what Disney execs and JJ thought when making TROS. But it was worth it, it's just that Disney hates controversies. A proper follow up closing the trilogy will never me made.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
TLJ was bad but Rise was so much worse. That is SW for you. The crap product gets better over time because they keep making shit that's worse.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. It's a magic moment.

I know a lot of people wanted their Master Luke power fantasy but it just never sat well with me. This is a boy that lived during a period of literal galactic genocide and fascism, saw the only two people who taught him the way of the force die in front him of him, confronted the reality that his own father was a major instigator in events that lead to the murder of billions of innocents, and was ultimately left alone as the last remaining loosely trained master of an ancient magic religion (his sister being a follow up, obviously, but then untrained).

He literally had the burden of the entire Jedi and force on his shoulders. Everything. He was alive in the period of time where the worst the force could be was made reality. He was by far the most prime candidate to have a crisis of faith from the weight of duty and consequence when he had the visions he had. He didn't really have anyone to lean on, only ghosts of the past.

Having him break is justifiable, and having him ultimately come full circle in and end and see himself for what he is and the role he plays was Star Wars brilliance. Totally justified and earned, climatic in a big, memorable moment that absolutely fit everything we've come to learn from what it means to be a Jedi.

There's a lot of bits and pieces in TLJ that I don't like (I found a lot of the Finn stuff super boring, even if I like Kelly Marie Tran and she was unjustifiably sidelined in TROS), but the Luke stuff was *chef kiss*.

This aspect never really rang true for me because of one really large factor -- Luke knows full well that the Jedi transcend death and can even commune with the dead, so what is death to a person with such knowledge.

He knows full well he's not going to "die" in a conventional sense either. To just blindly shut all that off was an incredibly cynical take on the character, though to be fair this was not Johnson's idea, it was in every version of Episode VII including Lucas so it stems back to him.

But really I never really bought that, it would only be believable if he had no idea that there's anything after death and didn't see that even Darth Vader, the lowest of the low, could be redeemed and even be granted full "ghost rights" or whatever you want to call it.

The real reason Luke is on that island and even Michael Arndt who was writing the original Episode VII script is basically because they couldn't figure out what to do with Luke in the story, so by the time JJ got there they just turned him into a Maguffin and basically bailed out on even having to deal with that problem by moving him to very final scene of the movie.

The whole idea was one borne out of plot convenience (we can't have normal Luke in the story because he would just take over the story), not out of anything really logical.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a troll op or are these actual complaints people have? Thought it was just the domain of alt right youtubers

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
My man!

Welcome to the club!

I remember seeing this on a plane and sitting in absolute shock to how horrible the movie was.

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
I like it, but wish it's simple premise of a slow chase had a bit more tension, but as a sequel to TFA and second movie of the sequel trilogy it makes little sense, but I blame JJ, KK and story group (not sure if they even have an actual power) for lack of any consistency, oh and Disney for rushing TFA but LF still needed to have someone at least map out a trilogy

Also I swear, they wrote the script and realized they forgot about Finn and wrote him a side quest later

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Is this a troll op or are these actual complaints people have? Thought it was just the domain of alt right youtubers
Not liking a movie makes you alt right now?

FWIW I'm just sorta meh on it. Some of it really like (Luke, Kylo and Rey), some it I really don't (everything with Finn and Rose, Leia Poppins).

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Why are the bombers dumb? The bombs were on rails being propelled towards the star destroyer. Once they stop being accelerated by the rails they remain at their speed until impact. No gravity needed.

But what about Space Friction/Resistance (drag) ?
We are talking about a series with space explosions and space sound, so it is clear that space oxigen exists

...or maybe it is better not try to rationalize it that much =P

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Last Jedi had some good parts and some bad parts. Original take, I know.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I'm not personally a fan of the movie but I think it did what it was trying to do well and while I didn't like its vision, I'm glad it had one singular vision and it went for it. It's the movie with the most 'identity' in the sequel trilogy in that it really knows what it wants to do and it doesn't hesitate in doing it, while 7 and especially 9 are...not like that.

Not personally a fan but I think it's well done. That said, I really wish it connected better to 9(and to a smaller degree, 7).

Also it really disappointed me by now focusing more on Finn and Poe, who were my favorites.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It is a horrible movie, with shit plot that goes nowhere, however beautiful shots everywhere and amazing sets.

but is dumb as fuck and pointless.