• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't comment on RE1 since I never played it but I can't but feel your complaints about Chris are a nonissue if you know what you're doing.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
REmake didn't make the original bad or anything but I was a fan of all of the changes, the graphics and audio overhaul certainly put it over the top as personal preference though.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the original as well. Though it's absolutely due to nostalgia, being it was one of my first PS1 games and I played it to death.

REmake is incredible and I love it as well, especially from a playability standpoint today.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely agree the aesthetics of the mansion lean a bit too heavily into "this is a spooooooky haunted house" territory in the REmake.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I first heard of the super scary RE franchise, it sort of built this reputation in my mind. I played RE2 and RE3 first, but when I finally got around to RE1, I just laughed and couldn't take the game seriously for a minute. Nothing about it holds up in the horror aspect. The zombies looked like confused hobos. Then, REmake dropped and proceeded to thrash my sense of security and comfort. lol The enemies actually look and act like terrible monstrosities that hunt you down.

I also don't mind back tracking too much. I love Metroid Prime games, ask me about back tracking. With REmake in particular, I mostly really like it because you really have to keep the status of the mansion layout in mind while running through it.

Lisa absolutely adds another layer of creepiness to the mood of the game and that moment when you come face to face with her and realize there's multiple faces looking back at you.... fgfhdhdhdgfhdjsj.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
While the REmake is arguably a much better game .. I still remember a lot more lines, scenarios and music pieces from the original '96 release. It's a *really* memorable game.

The original RE main mansion hall music is playing in my head as I type this. For the life of me, I cannot recall what it sounded like in the REmake.
sounds almost exactly like the originals? :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhq5iKRZG-U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LXIcWaiezw&list=PLmAjrkj1KHpIcPhiGaVc6-GflaADhiHYC&index=5

I actually love both versions of the ost, REmake has some creepy ambient shiiit

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title doesn't even make sense.

"I waited 10 years to play a game and I still don't like it!"

Wow shocking

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
The original is a classic game, with all the bad dialogue and cheesy moments, there's no way you can get that in the REmake but the latter is an awesome title!!

Also, Julia Voth's likeness for Jill is godsend lol

Oct 31, 2017
The original is one of my favorite games, certainly nostalgia is a large factor, but I still enjoy running through it today.

For all of its improvements, I've never been able to get into REmake precisely because it is not the same game.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I can see where you are coming from, but REMake is just better in every area for me.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
RE1 feels like a young yet creative crowd first attempt on horror, while REmake is a polished gem of years thinking and reworking what went wrong.

A more experienced and capable version of what they envisioned for 1996, with so much more to experience. There's layers of mechanics you can get lost into, making your way through a very diverse set of play sessions. They basically created the perfect adventure title, blending with the horror genre in the most effective way possible.

I don't think i ever played something so well thought, designed and put together. REmake is what you gain from using a very encouraging yet flawed framework, to create a genre-defining game.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I definitely agree the aesthetics of the mansion lean a bit too heavily into "this is a spooooooky haunted house" territory in the REmake.

As much as I believe with that the art direction of the REmake is stronger, I agree with this. Part of me finds the well lit R.P.D. in 2 to be a more interesting location, and is part of why it'll still be worth going back to in the future.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the OP. I think the atmosphere is actually scarier in the original game. The REmake feels like the Disney Land Haunted House version of the mansion.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
I love both the original RE and the REmake like they were my kids. They're both 10/10 games, and are almost symbiotically interchangeable in my all time top five games ever made. But the original is slightly better. I prefer the bright, colourful atmosphere of the original. It has that disturbing, abandoned haunted house quality to it, like someone or something was present very recently, as opposed to the REmake's cobweb-strewn old dump. It's also slightly denser and more complex structurally speaking, it enjoys a brisker sense of play regardless of whether you're carrying a weapon or not (the only way to move with any satisfying speed in the REmake is to run around unequipped), and I really enjoy the way the game flits between stiff scares and campy pulp frequently.

Like I said, both games are legendary. Neither does anything wrong. But Mikami's 1996 classic just does a few more things ever so right for me.

I prefer the Original too, for various reasons.

- The original plays snappier, movement is a lot faster, weapon handling is faster too.
- Way more alternate paths and cutscene variations in the original, in the original there are two different ways to meet Rebecca and several ways for both Barry and Rebecca to die.

Agree with these two points in particular.

Thought RE1 was actually scarier that REmake purely because the colour pallet that juxtapositioned onto the atmosphere and setting made it seem like a creepy absurdist scenario.

And this.

1o2MHY.gif

Last edited:

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I prefer the original for nostalgic reasons and also because it's harder than REmake, which was a cakewalk in comparison even with the crimson heads.

REmake is graphically fantastic but I didn't like some of the changes they made from both a lore and aesthetic POV, again, that's likely down to nostalgia however and my judgement being clouded though.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised so many in here prefer the original. I'm a REmake guy myself, but I'm kinda pleasantly surprised the OG holds its own. It's a great game as well and it goes to show the remake doesn't simply supplant it and make it irrelevant as they are different enough to split preferences among so many people, and Capcom should definitely make the OG (with its original soundtrack) available to people on modern platforms.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get through the remake but every time I see the original it looks so tantalizing for some reason.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the original for nostalgic reasons and also because it's harder than REmake, which was a cakewalk in comparison even with the crimson heads.

REmake is graphically fantastic but I didn't like some of the changes they made from both a lore and aesthetic POV, again, that's likely down to nostalgia however and my judgement being clouded though.

But was is actually harder or was is more difficult because you were fighting with the controls like the original tomb raider games?

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
I think what makes RE1 arguably scarier at times is how much less it's trying to be in your face scary like REmake. Everything about remake's sleak presentation says "look at how much atmosphere, mood, and creepiness is in every frame of this game". With RE1 the atmosphere is more incidental and surreal. When you play it you realize nothing about the mansion even looks decrepit at all, which means you're in a mode of not knowing what to expect, which builds more suspense. There's just a slight unease about everything. Why is this weird statue here? Is that a pool of blood? Why is the lighting in this room green? Why is there nothing at all in this spacious room with odd tiling except a fireplace, tableset and piano? There's an unease with how slightly off the mansion feels, which can be more scary than REmake's "lets make everything look brooding and foreboding" approach for the same reason why the plot twist at the end with Wesker would be more surprising if he wasn't wearing sunglasses.

OP
OP
AgentOtaku

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I think what makes RE1 arguably scarier at times is how much less it's trying to be in your face scary like REmake. Everything about remake's sleak presentation says "look at how much atmosphere, mood, and creepiness is in every frame of this game". With RE1 the atmosphere is more incidental and surreal. When you play it you realize nothing about the mansion even looks decrepit at all, which means you're in a mode of not knowing what to expect, which builds more suspense. There's just a slight unease about everything. Why is this weird statue here? Is that a pool of blood? Why is the lighting in this room green? Why is there nothing at all in this spacious room with odd tiling except a fireplace, tableset and piano? There's an unease with how slightly off the mansion feels, which can be more scary than REmake's "lets make everything look brooding and foreboding" approach for the same reason why the plot twist at the end with Wesker would be more surprising if he wasn't wearing sunglasses.

Yes! :)

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
The OG game definitely does some things better than REmake and REmake does things better than the OG game. I don't think either one is definitive. The thing I hate the most about REmake is the voice acting. It's so boring and dull with no life in it. I actually prefer the original dub lol.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I'll say the original PS1 Director's Cut (Not DualShock) is, because it's Arranged Mode is better than the one offered in the DS version.

Actually, the DC's Arranged Mode is classic RE tension in it's best form, if you throw that into the mix the REmake can't compete.
You mean the Arranged Mode that gives you a Colt Python a mere half hour into the game? :P And then dumps ammo for it on you like it's raining .357 bullets?

Between the shotgun being OP as hell (it's a one-hit kill on all zombies) even in the original version, to the addition of 10% headshot chance with the handgun (20% with Chris!) along with faster firing rate, to the early access to the Python and even more ammo for it (the red jewel surprised the hell out of me in this regard)... no, Arrange Mode is not harder, even when it adds a few unexpected Hunters. :P

I just played through Arrange Mode for the first time a few weeks ago, I immensely enjoyed it though despite my previous paragraph.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
I always felt the Remake tried to make the Mansion too haunted looking.

I know this sounds silly considering it's a horror game, but the original's backgrounds for me looked way more realistic and believable.

I love both games, but to me both are equal and each have aspects better than the other.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
You mean the Arranged Mode that gives you a Colt Python a mere half hour into the game? :P And then dumps ammo for it on you like it's raining .357 bullets?

Between the shotgun being OP as hell (it's a one-hit kill on all zombies) even in the original version, to the addition of 10% headshot chance with the handgun (20% with Chris!) along with faster firing rate, to the early access to the Python and even more ammo for it (the red jewel surprised the hell out of me in this regard)... no, Arrange Mode is not harder, even when it adds a few unexpected Hunters. :P

I just played through Arrange Mode for the first time a few weeks ago, I immensely enjoyed it though despite my previous paragraph.
You're more likely to actually die in a replay of Arranged Mode, especially when dealing with Hunters, than you are in either the REmake or regular RE1 and I will allow no further discussion.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've purchased REmake at least twice, maybe three times (i forget if I own a GC copy off the top of my head) but man, I just can't get into it. I've tried and tried but it's just not fun for me. I'll take the original version on PS1 any day of the week.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I wish REmake had an arrange mode
It does, on PC with the recent Randomizer mod.
http://benn-gaming.co.uk/rerandomizer.html

You're more likely to actually die in a replay of Arranged Mode, especially when dealing with Hunters, than you are in either the REmake or regular RE1 and I will allow no further discussion.
The only place I found this to be true was in the basement in the first room, where I died because they changed which enemies are down there. Besides that, it didn't feel any different. :P

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the original has its charms and I like the DS version, but the gamecube game is clearly better

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the cheesy FMV cut scenes, the bad voice acting and the soundtrack of the original. The guy who does the voice of Chris Redfield also did the voice of Richter Belmont in the original English version of Symphony of the Night. He's a legend of bad 90s voice acting!

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Lmao, OP said the REmake gave the atmosphere the Texas Chainsaw Massacre look when that movie wasn't out for another 18 months from the release of the REmake.

Have no problem with you going with the original. REmake will always be the king remake tho

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
I felt like the stiff mechanics of Resi never sat right with the aesthetic change. It's a bizarre conflict of gorgeous graphics with stiff, archaic, unfitting gameplay that never felt comfortable for me.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
But was is actually harder or was is more difficult because you were fighting with the controls like the original tomb raider games?

The controls were part of it, I played REmake using tank controls as I prefer them in terms of difficulty, analog made it way too easy to dodge zombies.

But in general the game was easier, more items and numerous other things.

Nov 4, 2017
Like The Twin Snakes, this GameCube remake was undeniably better than the PSX original.
giphy.gif

I never played past the first hour or so of the original, it was too hard for me back the day. I just played through REmake over Christmas so I'm ready for RE2.

I must say, it was amazing. However, the tiny inventory and constant back tracking was a bit of a chore. Also the modern controls are harder in same ways; when the camera changes angle suddenly, the direction you are pushing the stick no longer matches your headed direction. It can get confusing.

Deleted member 30569

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I love both the original RE and the REmake like they were my kids. They're both 10/10 games, and are almost symbiotically interchangeable in my all time top five games ever made. But the original is slightly better. I prefer the bright, colourful atmosphere of the original. It has that disturbing, abandoned haunted house quality to it, like someone or something was present very recently, as opposed to the REmake's cobweb-strewn old dump. It's also slightly denser and more complex structurally speaking, it enjoys a brisker sense of play regardless of whether you're carrying a weapon or not (the only way to move with any satisfying speed in the REmake is to run around unequipped), and I really enjoy the way the game flits between stiff scares and campy pulp frequently.

Like I said, both games are legendary. Neither does anything wrong. But Mikami's 1996 classic just does a few more things ever so right for me.

Agree with these two points in particular.

And this.

1o2MHY.gif

I had been waiting for you to enter the thread, and you did not disappoint. I agree with a lot of what you said.

I would sometimes go into "what makes a good remake?" or "what are the best remakes?" type threads always with the same kind of argument argument, which boils down to something like

A good remake enhances and extends, but also complements (i.e., does not completely replace) the original game.

This is most absolutely true for RE1 and REmake (and it looks to be even more the case for RE2 and its remake). Over the years, I have always loved REmake dearly but have always *preferred* to play the original RE1, and many people have already stated the reasons I couldn't always come up with as to why.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Resident Evil: Director's Cut was a hugely formative gaming experience for me and one of the titles that cemented my love of the medium. I remember seeing screenshots of REmake in a gaming magazine at some time around the turn of the century and it literally blew my mind. I never got around to playing that version until it hit PS4, but since then it's enjoyed a permanent residency on my HDD and will do for years to come. Both are brilliant, but I think HD has aged far better, particularly with the updated controls of the modern release.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Barry....help me please... in that nervous voice squeak tone omg. Such classic.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always felt the Remake tried to make the Mansion too haunted looking.

I know this sounds silly considering it's a horror game, but the original's backgrounds for me looked way more realistic and believable.

I love both games, but to me both are equal and each have aspects better than the other.

I mean, it was a game that was clearly held back by the technology available at the time. More realistic? LOL
A lot of it was very minimalist due to assets, and not design.

The original vision the creators had for RE was clearly seen in Remake. Yes, it was always suppose to be a very creepy haunted mansion.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Yes, it was always suppose to be a very creepy haunted mansion.

I think they went a little too far with the "creepy haunted mansion" in the REmake, though. As someone already noticed, the original mansion looks like a mansion that was lived in, but was suddenly abandoned. It's bright inside, and rooms are colorful.

REmake mansion goes so much into the creepy haunted house territory that all of a sudden it's dark everywhere, you have a lot of candle lights (that has been lit for days now?) in some rooms, there are corridors with nothing more than a bunch of mirrors, there's a thunderstorm outside (but only if you're inside; once you enter a balcony or go outside, lighting suddenly stops), it's dirty and dumpy.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably never play the original RE1 ever again. REmake is just so much better in literally every way.

Music just makes this totally false. There's just no way. Original kills REmake in music.

I mean, it was a game that was clearly held back by the technology available at the time. More realistic? LOL
A lot of it was very minimalist due to assets, and not design.

The original vision the creators had for RE was clearly seen in Remake. Yes, it was always suppose to be a very creepy haunted mansion.

Then the original came out better than they intended. Because yes, it is certainly a more believable looking mansion in the original without question.

Last edited: