• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
This geek would play across the street of the mall I worked at. Merriweather Post Pavilion. And parrot heads would descend on our sub shop. Once a dude found a roach in his sandwich and was baffled by my offer of a refund or redo. Fuck this idiot, this song, and it's idiot fans. Fuck!

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
This geek would play across the street of the mall I worked at. Merriweather Post Pavilion. And parrot heads would descend on our sub shop. Once a dude found a roach in his sandwich and was baffled by my offer of a refund or redo. Fuck this idiot, this song, and it's idiot fans. Fuck!

I legit don't know what this moron wanted from me but I detest every fan of this elevator music dork ever since

hiryu2015

Oct 27, 2017
I was in a gas station some 15 years ago and heard this late 70s/early 80s mainstream-sounding pop/disco song with a female vocalist and have never heard it since. I didn't catch any of the lyrics, just a vague sense of the rhythm and tempo. I've come to terms that I'll never find it .

uniform

Oct 27, 2017
I was in a gas station some 15 years ago and heard this late 70s/early 80s mainstream-sounding pop/disco song with a female vocalist and have never heard it since. I didn't catch any of the lyrics, just a vague sense of the rhythm and tempo. I've come to terms that I'll never find it .

I'll start with something obvious.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wish I could have gone most of my life without knowing about Margaritaville. You don't know how good you had it.

However, I shouldn't laugh too much, because this happened to me with a very popular movie. It's "the movie with the old people swimming with all the boulders in the pool." This movie is Cocoon, a seminal work of science fiction by Ron Howard.

When I finally decided to try to figure out what movie it was that I'd seen part of when I was a little kid, I asked one of my friends and only got to "it's a movie about old people swim—"

Before they said, bluntly, "Cocoon."

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have this problem with a song, but a fantasy book I read in my teens. I asked about it on GAF years ago and to other avid fantasy readers that I know but no one recognises it. I've accepted that I'll probably never find it but I look around on the net every now and then.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
The song I've tried to find is from the mid to late 80s, and was on an educational show. I really want to say it was Square One TV, but I can't be sure as I've never found it. All I remember is one bit of the lyrics. and that it was a guy kind of rapping iirc:
One two three four five six seven
The numbers, the numbers
eight nine ten and don't forget eleven
the numbers, the numbers

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Funny this thread should pop up because I've been thinking about resurrecting the help me find this song thread lately.

I asked at the old place years ago and nobody had the answer.

The song came out in the early 2000's I believe. It had a video because I think the first time I heard it was mtv. It wasn't really a country western song but it had that kind of sound to it. At some point a girl comes in and starts rapping, but she has a cute voice so it sounds more like she's just talking or doing spoken word. A few times I've heard the intro to Tom Petty's "you don't know how it feels" and thought it was this song so I think there's a harmonica involved.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I vaguely remember a 90s series (a mini-series?) about a criminal and a cop pursuing him, and i believe the criminal ends up being blasted by a nuclear test on the Nevada desert. I remember them talking while the dude is all burned up in bandages. Or something along those lines. There was one rock song in it, that might have been the credits or ending song that pops into my head once in a while. Think Paint It Black. It was in that style, but i can't find it, despite trying several times. Can't find the show either. In my mind, the cop was Dennis Farina, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that in his filmography.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend who spend, like, ten years searching for a song about Susanne.

Turns out the song was Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word... she'd mistaken "so sad" for "Susanne".

So now whenever something sad happens, we say that it's a Susanne situation, or that Susanne happened.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back when I was around 20 I was working late in the backroom of a store while listening to the radio and the DJ played a Teena Marie song that was so beautiful it made me stop and sit down.

To this day after 25 years of searching I still can't figure out what it was. It wasn't on any of her studio albums but Rick James came in to talk at the end of it so maybe it was on some bootleg of his (and no, it wasn't Fire and Desire lol).

mad no replied to this:

Or

?

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in an ongoing search for a song I heard nearly twenty years ago. Even had a fellow member here try researching it for me, with their father having an extensive blues/country knowledge, with no luck.

All I can remember is the song's lyrics feature the singer describing travelling the USA and eating local oddball foods like alligator and snake, culminating in the chorus being a 1-2-1 guitar strum and a vocal refrain of "Tastes like chicken".

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for a hip hop song from like the 90's I think. The chorus is something like: "you get no pussy". But they sing that line. It might also include the lyrics "what happens when you mix [something something] you get no pussy".pls help. It was a jam

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
There used to be a song that's was shared on Kazaa called Rammstein - Juden Hast.

I tracked it down 15 years later. It's actually a song by a Russian propaganda band called Lyube. Sestrenka:

Oct 27, 2017
Jin's Tekken 3 ending features music I've heard in other shows, movies and commercials since which makes me believe it's some famous, public domain classical piece... but I've never heard the original. My ears always perked and my mind would go "that's Jin's ending's music!". I used to search and look through comments to no avail.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
That song for me was "Alex Chilton" by The Replacements. Spent years with the melody in my head half convinced I'd made it up.

A6502

Jan 22, 2018
This type of vague memory about a song or show, it has aggravated me many times in my life. When your memory isn't quite accurate, it can be impossible for even a search engine to help out. Try Googling "what song lyrics strummin guitars", and Margaritaville doesn't come up, for example. The correct lyric is "strumming my six string". I always fall back on Margaritaville when playing music at get togethers with other musicians who are not very good, especially with mixed ages in the audience. I kinda hate the song from overplay.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There's an instumental that regularly plays in a doctor's office that bugs me. I think it's Pink Floyd. I''m thinking maybe it's "High Hopes" but I can't put my finger on it.

It goes doo dooooo, doo dooooo (doo dooooo, doo dooooo).

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
So, this is a rabbit hole I went down just last week.

There was this weird beat I couldn't get out of my head, after a while I remembered where I might have heard it,

Bastion OST - Setting Sail, Coming Home

But I wasn't quite right, I remembered that when I first heard that song years ago I thought how it had a familiar beat that made me think of Courage the Cowardly Dog.
Weird turn.
Some more memory searching later, I remembered a particular villain from that show, a few google searches later and I found it,

Courage the Cowardly Dog - Katz theme (you can hear it from 0:40 - 1:20)

And I have to say, that is one of the best villain themes I've ever heard.

But then, I found this

Antz OST - Guantanamera

You can hear it too, right? I'm not going crazy?

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
There was this one Dylan song, never had heard it before. And for some reason was playing on, I think, FM, Russian radio. Never was able to find it again. He has such a huge output and I own literally everything but it's gonna be impossible to find lol

Swimble_87

Oct 27, 2017
I had a few like this which I managed to track down pre-Shazam.

All Right Now - Free
This goes back to being very young - there was a Wrigleys' chewing gum advert that played on the TV which featured this song, involving a couple meeting on some kind of coach driving out in a desert area somewhere.

The riff stayed buried in my brain - I can't remember how I ended up finding out what it was in the end, but once I had the song I ended up managing to find the ad itself on YouTube - full circle!!

Stardust - music sounds better with you
Heard this in a couple of shops in the late 90s but didn't follow pop music at all at the time, thought it was catchy but forgot about it.

Fast forward to 2018 and I bring this up with my other half as I was now filling out my music knowledge, ended up going through Turn Around and Drop the Pressure before finally finding this one. I actually like all three!

Out of reach by Gabrielle
Heard this while out shopping with my mum as an early teen, I actually thought this was Michael Jackson singing a song called Valerie!!

Not sure how I discovered the real song in the end, but I did! Took me a good few years though....

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017

I saw this video when I was hospitalized as a kid, and could never remember the song. It wasn't until I was an adult and heard the original version of Kokomo that I was able to find this.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It sounds like the next frontier in machine learning is letting you hum the part of a song you remember, then have it retrieve a list of possible answers with clips.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this is like taking twenty years to track down Sweet Home Alabama

b50fe4cf-88df-4536-99atj86.gif

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
It took me about 40 years to find this theme song from a educational show I use to watch on PBS in the early 80's. For 4 decades this song would just randomly pop into my heard at odd moments and then drive me nuts because I couldn't remember where I heard it. I finally found it on YouTube last year! Thank God for YouTube or this would have been my rosebud.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
mad no replied to this:

Or

?

Thanks for this but I literally bought every commercially released Teena/Rick album looking for the song back when the search was driving me insane. The radio show I listening to was on Hot 103 in DC at around 2am and the DJ at the time loved to play obscure tracks that no one ever heard. Whichever song it was it was a slow jam and Rick doesn't sing, he just came in at the very end to talk over the outro. It was probably some b-side to one of their singles but I swear I'll find it one day.

The smart thing to do at the time was to just call the damn radio station and ask what they played but I had no idea then that the song was rare.

Edit: If I had to guess the song was recorded during the "It Must Be Magic" period as the song was very reminiscent of Portuguese Love and Yes Indeed. They probably thought it was overkill to include it on the album (it was a crazy long song too) so it became an unreleased track or a b-side instead.

Edit 2: On the subject of Yes Indeed it's actually the closest to the song I'm looking for but not it. If you've never heard it do yourself a favor and give it a click.

Last edited:

hiryu2015

Oct 27, 2017
I'll start with something obvious.

Thanks for the reply but I've known Yvonne Elliman since I first got the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack probably 25 years or so ago. I also love her cover of Barbara Lewis' "Hello Stranger". She was also in Jesus Christ Superstar and was a backing vocalist on multiple mid 70's Clapton records.

Dec 22, 2017
Was 75% of your lifetime spent on Mars, in a cave, with your eyes shut and fingers in your ears?

This happened to me though with New Slang by the Shins. Took me like 5 years to figure out what it was.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Funny this thread should pop up because I've been thinking about resurrecting the help me find this song thread lately.

I asked at the old place years ago and nobody had the answer.

The song came out in the early 2000's I believe. It had a video because I think the first time I heard it was mtv. It wasn't really a country western song but it had that kind of sound to it. At some point a girl comes in and starts rapping, but she has a cute voice so it sounds more like she's just talking or doing spoken word. A few times I've heard the intro to Tom Petty's "you don't know how it feels" and thought it was this song so I think there's a harmonica involved.
Sounds somewhat like Lily Allen - Not Fair but that was 2009 and while there is an harmonica, it's not very present, it also doesn't sound anything like the Tom Petty song!

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
There was this techno song I had in my head for almost 10 years. They would play it in the background of the gossip section of a TV channel's news and other places and I really liked the sound. By the time Shazam came to exist they never again played the song anywhere.
Started a desperate search late one night in 2010, typing 'best techno xx year's and trying over several permutations and results.

Discogs showed me some nice compilations, changed the year and found this... https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Best-Of-Trance-2002/release/442138

This was the song:

I felt like I could die in peace at that very moment, had been mortified for years about being unable to find that song and I finally had it haha.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to find a song from ten or twelve years ago. It was a like a hipster/dance/electroclash group, maybe just a duo with a gay woman as the lead. The lyrics were like "can't hide from my love" or "can't hold my love" it something like that. It was playing on some college radio station.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I remember having this same issue with a song when I was young. The only lyrics I could recall was " More precious than diamond rings" . It took years to finally learn the song was Time will reveal by debarge.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I have one that has been driving me crazy for years. It was on CD I had around 2005, but was probably older. It sounds a whole lot like a Violent Femmes song, but I'm pretty sure it was them. All I know it it went "Butterfly....buh da bah buh da bah buh da bah... about you" or something like that. It really has "Blister in the Sun" thing going on, but it's definitely not that. It's also not the Crazytown song....
I got two options for you. First is Butterfly by The Verve. I could see The Verve having a bit of a Violent Femmes mouthfeel.

This is a buckwild suggestion, but could it be Butterfly by the Bee Gees?

"Butterfly , yeah
I dream about you , lonely without you , butterfly"

Or maybe a cover of that song?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I had a one of those melodies you could pull out of nowhere but have no idea where it comes from. When I was a teen I had this funky beat playing in my head at random times for years. No idea where it was from or where I've heard it initially. No one in my family knew what it was, which would probably mean I had heard it in a movie or similar. But no clue which.

Years passed and suddenly when doing a rewatch of Bones (must be where I heard it the first time) I heard the track, or intro rather, when B&B visits Bones' old school for a reunion. Looked it up on a wikia and it was:
I was so fucking glad that day. Listened to just the intro part on repeat for the next few days.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds somewhat like Lily Allen - Not Fair but that was 2009 and while there is an harmonica, it's not very present, it also doesn't sound anything like the Tom Petty song!
Thanks for the suggestion but that's not it. The main vocals are a dude and there's just the one part of the song with the female verse. It could be an uncle kracker song for all I know. I can't remember any of the lyrics, but it has that kind of feel to it in my head. I think the video had a cheap western vibe like Sublime's "Santeria" video.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remember an obscure song with a music video about a guy singing about being slow and he's on some beach, chasin tail.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I remember listening to this one song my cousin recorded on a mixtape of a bunch of mid to late 90s pop songs that there was this one that I swear had the same general melody of Sonic Boom from Sonic CD, and to this day I still have no clue what the song was.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I'm almost 33 and I had never heard OP's song until a few seconds ago. Certainly not a song you can easily hear in Spain like Sweet Home Alabama is.