• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Title says it all. It's been a few years since I've been on Android (getting a oneplus 7t)...any cool apps/games to check out?

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
There's a few categories of apps that are allowed on Android but not iOS, so I'd probably start there? Emulators, for instance--if you have the (legally-acquired) ROMs for them, there's a whole host of good options. My favourite is probably My Boy!, for GameBoy Advanced.

If you like comics or eBooks, the reader apps on Android tend to be a bit better than their equivalents on iOS, since they're able to offer in-app purchases with less punitive platform fees, or no fees at all. So, for instance, when you finish reading an issue of a comic in Comixology, it'll give you the option to just buy the next one right away, instead of just adding it to a wishlist. Same goes for Kindle and so on.

Last edited:

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Termux so you can do all kinds of command line stuff, like ffmpeg and youtube-dl.
NewPipe for a bunch of Youtube stuff.
Syncthing for syncing folders (like Dropbox) between devices, no server.

Other than most apps exist on both platforms but are slightly worse on Android.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Wifiman is pretty good, lets you see where signal is strongest so you can try moving your router

Oct 30, 2017
Apps are much of a muchness between the two app stores these days. The biggest thing will be customisability, straight out of the box on the OnePlus you'll be able to install different icon packs from the app store and change the typeface of the OS.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Termux so you can do all kinds of command line stuff, like ffmpeg and youtube-dl.
NewPipe for a bunch of Youtube stuff.
Syncthing for syncing folders (like Dropbox) between devices, no server.

Other than most apps exist on both platforms but are slightly worse on Android.

+1 for NewPipe.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Is the flip and fold phones worth their cost? I see in Sweden they cost aprox. $2000 :P But I would really love to have a flip

I was hooked almost immediately so I would say yes! You have a literal tablet in your phone with the Fold, and it makes web browsing, video watching and Game Pass incredible to use. It is a lot of money but I don't regret it one bit.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Whenever I get a new Android phone, I always download Smart Launcher. It changes the UI of your phone, organizes your apps by category, has a News Page, page(s) for widgets, things like that.

Such a marked improvement over the standard Android screen. Smart Launcher, Action Launcher, and Nova Launcher are two of the names I see popping up the most, so if you're looking to change up how that phone looks, I'd go with one of those.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
AllCast (might require root) is great, as it'll let you cast local files to your Chromecast.

Whenever I get a new Android phone, I always download Smart Launcher. It changes the UI of your phone, organizes your apps by category, has a News Page, page(s) for widgets, things like that.

Such a marked improvement over the standard Android screen. Smart Launcher, Action Launcher, and Nova Launcher are two of the names I see popping up the most, so if you're looking to change up how that phone looks, I'd go with one of those.
I have Nova Launcher Premium, and it's great, but I'm trying to stick with the stock Google launcher on my Pixel 5. It's... Okay. I do really like that you can swipe to the left for all your Google stuff.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Does using YT vanced put your Google account at risk? I remember reading or hearing that google was shutting down people's accounts for using it but never verified.

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How safe is youtube vanced and is there a possibility that I can get banned for it?

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USB Audio Player Pro

Best music player even you don't use an external DAC.

Also youtubeVANCED. Although I never actually logged in with my google account with it.