• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everybody,

My wife and I finally booked our trip to Japan and are looking for some advice.

What we know:
- First class rail pass is a must for the whole island, already on it.
- No idea where to stay yet! We're more interested in Kyoto, also more into off the beaten path adventures. Will definitely spend some time in Tokyo but don't want to stay there. So definitely looking for some advice on where to stay.
- Retro game shops? Things to do in Tokyo for the 1 MAYBE 2 days we visit?
- Best way to experience Mt Fuji
- We'll be doing all the usual touristy attractions at some point to see some of the more famous landmarks.
- Best places to eat
- Ways to handle getting around and overcoming language barrier (what gives me the most anxiety!).
- Other general travel advice is much needed and much appreciated!

Thanks all in advance. I'm working today so Ill be popping in and out responding.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I's been 5 years now since my younger brother and I went to Japan. Had never been out of the country prior to that.

The rail pass is incredible.
We stayed in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto. I think we liked Kyoto and Osaka the most. Tokyo is cool for its own reasons, but too busy.
As for language, practice basic stuff and watch a lot of YouTube videos. There are a lot of creators who have good content on basic and intermediate language. We found the Japanese people nothing less than incredibly helpful and kind. Many understand English, but could not speak it back well. We opted for the full experience though and really only spoke English to each other (my brother and I). Lots and lots of stuff in Japan is also in English, except maybe in really rural areas. We didn't visit those spots though.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the retro game shops have been thoroughly mined out (supposedly by non-Japanese gamers visiting) but you can still find some stuff if you look around. Akihabara is a fun place to visit if you and your wife are into that.

The JR pass is great but I would also recommend renting a car if you want to see more off the beaten path stuff. Cars will be anywhere from $35-75/day and you can find places that have English speaking rental store clerks that can help you set up the GPS and sometimes the systems of the car in English. The car will give you a lot more independence on where to visit outside of the big cities.

The language barrier is not a super huge issue so long as you don't try to go to super obscure restaurants and some of the smaller mom and pop places. Most places have picture menus and you can usually point to stuff and people will help you buy it or get where you need to go.

Overall, I'd recommend looking up the places that interest you, figure out whether you need a train/car to get there, then just go and enjoy yourself!

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I's been 5 years now since my younger brother and I went to Japan. Had never been out of the country prior to that.

The rail pass is incredible.
We stayed in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto. I think we liked Kyoto and Osaka the most. Tokyo is cool for its own reasons, but too busy.
As for language, practice basic stuff and watch a lot of YouTube videos. There are a lot of creators who have good content on basic and intermediate language. We found the Japanese people nothing less than incredibly helpful and kind. Many understand English, but could not speak it back well. We opted for the full experience though and really only spoke English to each other (my brother and I). Lots and lots of stuff in Japan is also in English, except maybe in really rural areas. We didn't visit those spots though.
Yeah I think we'll probably do something similar and stay in Tokyo for a night, and spend the rest in Kyoto/Osaka with an odd day trip to a more rural area.

Good to hear its welcoming to English speakers, I'll definitely be trying my best to get some basics learned by May :p

Most of the retro game shops have been thoroughly mined out (supposedly by non-Japanese gamers visiting) but you can still find some stuff if you look around. Akihabara is a fun place to visit if you and your wife are into that.

The JR pass is great but I would also recommend renting a car if you want to see more off the beaten path stuff. Cars will be anywhere from $35-75/day and you can find places that have English speaking rental store clerks that can help you set up the GPS and sometimes the systems of the car in English. The car will give you a lot more independence on where to visit outside of the big cities.

The language barrier is not a super huge issue so long as you don't try to go to super obscure restaurants and some of the smaller mom and pop places. Most places have picture menus and you can usually point to stuff and people will help you buy it or get where you need to go.

Overall, I'd recommend looking up the places that interest you, figure out whether you need a train/car to get there, then just go and enjoy yourself!
OMG Akihabara looks incredible. Definitely will look into this.

How was the driving experience on the road there? Would give me anxiety trying to learn the street signs lol

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Shimokitazawa and Yanaka are my favorite neighborhoods in Tokyo. I recommend trying to get accommodations through AirBNBs if you can.

If you're willing to splurge, spend a night at a fancy ryokan on Miyajima Island off the coast of Hiroshima.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
There is a fantastic Japanese travel OT if you haven't seen it.

www.resetera.com

Japan Travel |OT| We have to go back

There are no longer any special rules of entry to Japan because of COVID The living in Japan thread is over here! Below are some resources to help you plan your trip: Websites Do check these out. They give good guides of cities to visit and helpful tips about everything from how to...

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
How was the driving experience on the road there? Would give me anxiety trying to learn the street signs lol

Pretty chill, tbh.

The speed limits are much slower since they're in KPH so you do have to watch out for that. Also, driving on the other side of the road from what I'm used to here in the US was something that I made sure I reminded myself of when I was out in the countryside.

Most roads are much smaller in width than in the US and traffic was nowhere near as bad as it was in the US either. I'd recommend it, if you're going to go out of the major cities or take day trips.

Dec 12, 2017
OP, you should visit the (Studio Ghibli) Miyazaki museum but you have to get tix ahead of your visit. There are courier services that can help you.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How long are you there for? Depending on the amount of time you spend at each place, flying can be significantly cheaper than the rail pass. Also personally I'd say you could spend more time in Tokyo, any time I'm in Japan that doesn't spend at least 4-5 days in Tokyo I regret it.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Shimokitazawa and Yanaka are my favorite neighborhoods in Tokyo. I recommend trying to get accommodations through AirBNBs if you can.

If you're willing to splurge, spend a night at a fancy ryokan on Miyajima Island off the coast of Hiroshima.
Just googled this. Wow. Gonna have to do this.

There is a fantastic Japanese travel OT if you haven't seen it.

www.resetera.com

Japan Travel |OT| We have to go back

There are no longer any special rules of entry to Japan because of COVID The living in Japan thread is over here! Below are some resources to help you plan your trip: Websites Do check these out. They give good guides of cities to visit and helpful tips about everything from how to...
I didnt! This is awesome, thank you!

Pretty chill, tbh.

The speed limits are much slower since they're in KPH so you do have to watch out for that. Also, driving on the other side of the road from what I'm used to here in the US was something that I made sure I reminded myself of when I was out in the countryside.

Most roads are much smaller in width than in the US and traffic was nowhere near as bad as it was in the US either. I'd recommend it, if you're going to go out of the major cities or take day trips.
Sounds actually much less stressful than I assumed.

OP, you should visit the (Studio Ghibli) Miyazaki museum but you have to get tix ahead of your visit. There are courier services that can help you.
Didnt even think of this. This is a must for us. Thanks for the tip, looking into it now.

How long are you there for? Depending on the amount of time you spend at each place, flying can be significantly cheaper than the rail pass. Also personally I'd say you could spend more time in Tokyo, any time I'm in Japan that doesn't spend at least 4-5 days in Tokyo I regret it.
About 8 days (cutting off our two travel days).

What are your top things to do/stay/places to eat in Tokyo?

PhleBuster

Game Publishing
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
- No idea where to stay yet! We're more interested in Kyoto, also more into off the beaten path adventures. Will definitely spend some time in Tokyo but don't want to stay there. So definitely looking for some advice on where to stay.
- In Kyoto, do check out the Fushimi Inari Shrine, and if you can spare several hours it's a pretty neat climb to the very top (it DOES take several hours).
- If you eat meat, go for Kobe beef in Kobe (half an hour's ride from Osaka). I can recommend Kobe Steakland which is easy to access and has wonderful "teppanyaki" steaks (cooked on a plate in front of you) - I strongly recommend getting the "Special Kobe beef steak dinner" set and not skimping and getting the non-special version, the difference is night and day. Best steak you're likely to ever eat for that price, and will change your view on steaks forever.
- If you want something really exotic, you can do a 1-night trip to Koya-san from Osaka, and stay at a Buddhist monastery overnight, enjoy some night graveyard tours, super aesthetic and cold rooms and famous vegan dishes.
- If you're on rail pass anyway, Hiroshima is definitely worth visiting in that direction. If you have a chance to time the visit to the Flower Festival, you can enjoy some awesome Yosakoi dance festivals. Either way, go check out the Miyajima island for cool temples and deer (accessible through a ferry ride from Hiroshima).
- If you have time (not sure how long you're planning to stay) to go all the way to Kyushu, Fukuoka is an energetic modern city with nice folk.
- If you have even more time, you can access some cool tropical islands south of Kyushu by taking a train to Kagoshima (such as Yakushima and Tanegashima) and see a very different environment (and lots of monkeys). And blue, blue seas.
- Definitely go visit an onsen, depending on your schedule and budget you can stay in one near Kyoto, or go to a more rural town and visit a whole onsen village. Kurokawa Onsen in Kyushu is the favorite I've been to so far, but I can also recommend other places depending on your other travel plans.
- Are you planning to rent a car? You can rent one with an international driver's license (which is cheap to get but you need to get it before going to Japan, and it's only valid for a year). It'll enable to travel to some more remote and cool locations, and if so I can give more tips on those.
- Don't think about climbing Mt. Fuji unless you're an experienced hiker, it's nigh impossible to do in a single day and even if you do it in 2 you're likely to be physically destroyed for a week afterwards. Speaking from experience. A lot of destinations boast visibility of Fuji though, so it won't be hard to see.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the hostels in Japan were cleaner than 5-star hotels in Canada I kid you not. Food can be extremely cheap if you look around and hit the side streets. Try a few of the castles like Himeji. Have Okonomiyaki in Hiroshima and stop by the WW2 museum. Don't worry about the language barrier -- just smile and apologize a lot. Definitely hit Akihabara and maybe even Nakano for a slightly more authentic experience.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Ahh if you only have 8 days that's different, I've spent up to three weeks in Tokyo before on a trip and still didn't see everything I wanted to. I've stayed in Asakusa before, Sensoji is a worthwhile place to visit and has some great pictures. Also Teamlab Planets is really cool if you're looking for something a little different. As far as places to eat, I'd say walk around Tsukiji a bit if you're going to go to Teamlab Planets as they're fairly near each other, but you really can't go wrong with food. Maybe go to a nice sushi restaurant if you're in to that sort of thing but you might need help making reservations.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really, REALLY love Okonomiyaki. If you're interested in trying it, maybe check out Monja Street!

Tons of different restaurants all serving their own takes on it, I could easily spend a couple of hours bouncing from place to place, drinking in between!

PhleBuster

Game Publishing
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wife and I went to Japan and uses this as a valuable resource

It even has suggested itineraries for you depending on how long you'll stay and how much money you want to spend.

They have all the tips, suggested place to stay, etc.
I can second this as a good primary resource for info on almost any location, including how to access them. I've made good use of it over the years in planning several trips.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
- We were there in October, depending upon timing of your trip, so some research and see what is still under construction for Olympics. We felt like a lot of the major landmarks were undergoing quick maintenance, so things were shrouded and roped off in a few places. We didn't mind, once we knew what to expect.

- investigate local SIM card for your phone, really came in handy

- use the cities as your base of operations and take day trips out from there. You could do 4-5 days in Kyoto and see a lot of the surrounding area for your off the beaten path adventures.

- if you're looking for retro games, just go a bit further from the train in Akihibara, and Osaka, you're likely to get better deals.

- learn a few phrases in Japanese, it will go a long way with people and show you care - they appreciate that and will help you out with what you need.

- pack a collapsible duffel bag with you, so you can expand your luggage for trip home.

- bring hand santitizer or wet naps, the public toilets don't exactly have soap, or even water sometimes. It's alright, you figure it out.

-In Tokyo, check out municipal building observation deck - it's high, free and you can see quite a bit. Go earlier in the day.

- download Hyperdia app and pay for the 30 days for train schedules before you go. Lifesaver.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Just googled this. Wow. Gonna have to do this.

I didnt! This is awesome, thank you!

Sounds actually much less stressful than I assumed.

Didnt even think of this. This is a must for us. Thanks for the tip, looking into it now.

About 8 days (cutting off our two travel days).

8 days? Thats not even enough time for Tokyo really. What month are you going?

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can second this as a good primary resource for info on almost any location, including how to access them. I've made good use of it over the years in planning several trips.
Yep. It's a gold mine of stuff. ResetEra Japan trip OT is great too but I like using Japanguide because it's precise

In fact, I think the old site's Japan travel ot suggested Japan guide to me. It's carried on over to ResetEra it seems

PhleBuster

Game Publishing
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Now that I know you're only staying for 8 days, my earlier advice is mostly impractical. It'd take at least 2-3 weeks to visit all of the destinations I listed. Kobe and Koya-san can certainly be accessed if you're planning to stay in the Osaka neighborhood though, and there are some good onsen ryokans around Kyoto too, and you can usually visit their onsen facilities even without staying overnight (though a stay at a ryokan is a worthwhile experience for at least 1 night).

I'd actually give the opposite to my earlier suggestions now: don't try to cram in too many destinations, and don't plan anything for the first day (jet lag and all). You'll be able to better appreciate the place if you don't rush around too much and try to cram in too many destinations, and you could certainly spend that long in Osaka alone.

Hiroshima's doable as a 2-3 day destination though, if you want to extend the trip in that direction. Will give better value for a JR rail pass.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I know you're only staying for 8 days, my earlier advice is mostly impractical. It'd take at least 2-3 weeks to visit all of the destinations I listed. Kobe and Koya-san can certainly be accessed if you're planning to stay in the Osaka neighborhood though, and there are some good onsen ryokans around Kyoto too, and you can usually visit their onsen facilities even without staying overnight (though a stay at a ryokan is a worthwhile experience for at least 1 night).

I'd actually give the opposite to my earlier suggestions now: don't try to cram in too many destinations, and don't plan anything for the first day (jet lag and all). You'll be able to better appreciate the place if you don't rush around too much and try to cram in too many destinations, and you could certainly spend that long in Osaka alone.

Hiroshima's doable as a 2-3 day destination though, if you want to extend the trip in that direction. Will give better value for a JR rail pass.
Makes sense and def. good to know.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Hmmm. That looks really nice. Going to Japan after the Olympics.

Definitely worth it. My wife I spent a night at Kinsuikan during our honeymoon in 2006. We had a multi course dinner in our room and a view overlooking the tori in the water.

We did an afternoon at the A-Bomb Dome/Peace Park in Hiroshima and then took the ferry over to Miyajima for the night. The next morning we took the cable car up to the top of the mountain before heading to Kyoto for a few days.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Makes sense and def. good to know.

I was in Hiroshima in October, make sure you go to the A-Bomb Dome and Museum, and Miyajima if you plan on going there. Miyajima is a full day if you get there in the morning, the A-Bomb stuff takes a few hours, so you'd definitely need at least 3 days to do it properly. Make sure you get Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki if you're there because it's amazing.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
The advantage of staying overnight on Miyajima is that the majority of visitors leave in the early evening back to the mainland and you'll mostly have the island to yourself. It was an incredibly peaceful and serene change of pace.

Also, you can use the JR pass on the ferry.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Spend a day at Tokyo DisneySea!
There is no place else like it on earth, I guarantee it's worth the visit.

I genuinely cannot recommend it more highly. It's my recommendation every time these sorts of threads pop up because it tends to get overlooked. When my SO and I visited japan the first time we didn't bother but decided to give it a try on the second visit. Now we make sure to spend time there with every single visit to Japan.
They have two parks: one is a traditional sort of DisneyLand that youd find elsewhere, and they have DisneySea which is a truly unique gem. It's also significantly cheaper than the U.S. parks!

Oct 27, 2017
The normal JR pass is usually just fine. I wouldn't really recommend getting the green pass unless you don't care about spending the extra money, or maybe if you know you'll be taking the train on peak travel days or something.

- Best places to eat
You can look up restaurants ahead of time if you want, but don't worry too much about finding the "best" place. Most food in Japan will be great. One thing to keep in mind in big cities in Japn is to think vertically - department stores will often have a food hall type place or restaurants in the basement, or on upper levels.

Convenience stores (7-11, Family Mart, etc) will be a useful resource as well. Great for a quick breakfast, lots of cheap and fairly decent food. If you're interested in trying a bunch of different Japanese snacks, look for a Don Quijote; they usually have a pretty good selection of stuff.

- Ways to handle getting around and overcoming language barrier (what gives me the most anxiety!).
Almost all public transport information will be displayed in both English and Japanese. I only spoke a few words of Japanese and I was fine everywhere I went.

In Kyoto, I very highly recommend visiting Daitoku-ji. It's a Buddhist complex with something like 22 sub-temples, although only about four are open to the public. Compared to a lot of other Kyoto attractions, it doesn't seem to get very many tourists. They have some great zen gardens and it's really really peaceful.

I assume you're visiting Fushimi Inari - get there early, as early as possible after sunrise really. It's definitely worth visiting, but it will be absolutely packed most of the day which can detract from the experience. You can also escape the crowds by actually going all the way up the mountain; most visitors don't seem to bother doing that.

Nara is a great half-day trip from either Kyoto or Osaka. This can be combined with an early morning visit to Fushimi Inari.

If you're interested in visiting a lot of temples or shrines, you may want to consider picking up a goshuin-cho. Goshuin are stamps provided by most Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines in Japan for a small fee, to be placed in a special book, and they're absolutely beautiful. Because of the handwritten calligraphy, each one is completely unique and it can make for a really special memento of your trip.

Regardless of where you do end up going, I second the recommendation to splurge on a night in a ryokan. They can be pricey, but the food and hot springs and atmosphere are worth it.

I was going to say this as well, but if OP only has eight days in Japan, I'm not sure it's worth it to travel all the way down to Miyajima from Tokyo and back again.

The advantage of staying overnight on Miyajima is that the majority of visitors leave in the early evening back to the mainland and you'll mostly have the island to yourself. It was an incredibly peaceful and serene change of pace.
When I was there I got up super early to watch the sunrise over the floating torii. Absolutely gorgeous.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Let's say I only plan to visit Tokyo and Hiroshima. Is the JR Pass worth it? Looks like flying is very affordable.

See how much the Shinkansen costs to get from Hiroshima to Tokyo and then see if it makes sense to get a JR Pass. You're probably better off just buying a ticket and then loading up a Suica card and using that while in Tokyo. My wife and I go to Japan every four years and we took our daughter with us this last time in November 2018 and we ended up getting JR Passes for the first time in a while since we took her all over on the Shinkansen and it was worth it.

Sure you could fly between Hiroshima and Tokyo, but if you've never rode on a Shinkansen before, it's worth the experience and the views are great along the way.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's say I only plan to visit Tokyo and Hiroshima. Is the JR Pass worth it? Looks like flying is very affordable.
For Tokyo to Hiroshima, you save money vs paying for normal Shinkansen tickets (assuming a seven-day JR pass).

The train will usually be more expensive than flying, but don't underestimate how convenient it is compared to travelling to and from the airport.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Hey everybody,

What we know:
- We'll be doing all the usual touristy attractions at some point to see some of the more famous landmarks.
- Best places to eat

Thanks all in advance. I'm working today so Ill be popping in and out responding.

As far as getting around is concerned, even with the Rail Pass you'll have to be clever and plan ahead how you're going to to get to the places you want to visit if you want to minimize additional fees paid to other public transport companies. The language barrier can be tough but everyone is patient and forthcoming enough, at least that was the case for my visit this past December. Make sure that you can handle crowds if you plan to use public transport though.

I'm used to some pretty huge and chaotic crowds from Berlin but Tokyo is much, much worse and even Kyoto and Osaka can get pretty bad during rush hour or at evenings.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
See how much the Shinkansen costs to get from Hiroshima to Tokyo and then see if it makes sense to get a JR Pass. You're probably better off just buying a ticket and then loading up a Suica card and using that while in Tokyo. My wife and I go to Japan every four years and we took our daughter with us this last time in November 2018 and we ended up getting JR Passes for the first time in a while since we took her all over on the Shinkansen and it was worth it.

Sure you could fly between Hiroshima and Tokyo, but if you've never rode on a Shinkansen before, it's worth the experience and the views are great along the way.
For Tokyo to Hiroshima, you save money vs paying for normal Shinkansen tickets (assuming a seven-day JR pass).

The train will usually be more expensive than flying, but don't underestimate how convenient it is compared to travelling to and from the airport.
Thanks. Y'all are so helpful.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Best places to eat
Kirby Cafe
kirby-cafe.original.jpg

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Japan travel OT has a lot of good info. I spend 3 months of the year in Japan, my wife's from Tokyo and we have a house on an island in yamaguchiken.

Direct advice for your questions:
Best way to do fuji is get to station 5 at around 9 or 10 PM. There are busses that go straight there. You can also spend the night there but do start hiking around 9 or 10PM. You'll arrive at the peak in time for sunrise. Most beautiful sunrise I've ever scene. Bring money for ramen or heated vending machines at top. Bring a mask or cloth to cover you mouth for the walk down as a lot of dust gets kicked up.

If going to Hiroshima I suggest the Washington Hotel as its reasonably priced and right next to the 4 story okonomiyaki food mall (the okonomiyaki is way better here than at the tourist places next to the peace plaza). Also the hotel is a short walk from the peace plaza. If you go in summer there is an awesome rooftop open air bar.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everybody,

What we know:
- Best places to eat

Ahh this is so exciting! I traveled to Japan last year, on a solo trip, and it's probably my favorite trip ever. I'd suggest you make a small itinerary with all the cities you're planning on visiting. I can send you mine if you want (I did Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nara, Tokyo).

As for my tips:
  • Depending on how many cities you'll be traveling to, I'd definitely recommend getting the JR Pass. Make sure you know when to activate it. Also, there are certain JR lines in Tokyo subway you can use (and not pay anything, just showing your JR Pass). Make sure to use that after it's been activated and you've already used it to travel around Japan.
  • Honestly, don't worry about specific places to eat in Japan. Everything is honestly great (even the 7/11 food they have, my God. It's that good). I would recommend Kichi Kichi in Kyoto. It's a very famous omurice place. There might (most likely) be a line, but since you're just two, you might get in quick. Make sure you eat: lots of matcha things (ice cream for sure!), katsudon, different kinds of ramen and noodles, takoyaki (in Osaka is best), okonomiyaki (both Hiroshima and Osaka versions), sushi, etc etc.
  • This is a MUST: You'll need portable wifi to move around. It saved me many times. I'd also recommend getting a portable charger. You can rent portable wifi in the airport (though, maybe you can find cheaper somewhere else). After your trip, you need to return it (either by mail or just getting it there).
  • There are almost NO trash cans around Japan, so make sure to bring a bag of sorts to keep your shit there. Also, almost no benches (unless you're ina park). And no outlets! However, if you're desperate and need to charge your phone: some Starbucks have, some Burger King (the one in Shibuya has, I can vouch for that one) and some McDonalds.
  • I got some really nice, cheap, used clothes at the Comme Des Garçons at Shibuya!
  • If you're planning on traveling to Miyajima, don't go there too late! Ideal time would be 10:00 am or so. If you go too early, everything will be closed, but they also close everything way too early (thin 2:00 pm or so).
  • Public transportation ends around 11 pm I think? And taxis are hella expensive.
  • For retro game stores in Tokyo, the most notable one is Super Potato in Akihabara. But I'd recommend going to Nakano Broadway (it's filled with video game/retro toy stores; and it's cheaper).
  • FYI: I'd recommend walking around and not using the subway if you don't have to. This allows you to really get into Tokyo and save a few yens. Akibabara, Asakusa and Ueno are really close (I walked all the time from one place to another); Shibuya, Yoyogi and Shinjuku is the same.
  • You like Jazz? Well, you're in luck! Catch a show at the Shinjuku Pitt Inn! Really amazing place. Get a beer and enjoy the show (it's pretty close to a subway station as well, btw).
  • As for the language barrier: you'll be fine! Just use your mobile if you need to find places. If you need to buy or find yourself struggling with a menu at a restaurant, the staff will help you. I found that most japanese don't know a lot of english, but the people working in the subway and train station know a lot more.
  • ALWAYS be on time for your train. They will literally leave on the exact time you have on your ticket. Not a minute earlier or later. EXACTLY on time. So be there at least 10 min earlier (you might get lost and yadayada).
  • Don't take the bus to Ghibli Museum if you're going, just walk. It's an adorable stroll over the museum and you can walk through the beautiful park. Also, you save money.
  • You can drink on the streets.
  • I wouldn't spend more than 2 days (1 and a half should be fine, really) in Osaka. There's not much to see. For geeky town, see Denden town. You can also travel fairly fast to Nara (go) and Himeji (meh).
  • In Kyoto, you HAVE to go to Kibune and Kurama Dera. Also, there's an amazing, outdoor Onsen there. Go.
  • Did I mention matcha? Matcha tea, matcha lattes (specially), matcha latte (cold), the starbucks matcha frap (wow), matcha cake, matcha kitkats...
  • Also, if you or your wife are into stationary: go to Loft. You can find the really cute Eartbound planners there! There's a big loft store in Kyoto (I can't recall where, exactly), but it was like 8 floors (one of them being Loft), and the other stores were really cheap (or had amazing discounts lol)
  • You can get really cool Japanese City Pop CD's and vinyl if you're into that.
  • (Tokyo) YOU HAVE TO GO TO TEAM LAB PLANETS. Like this is not an option for you. YOU HAVE TO GO. It's a whole new experience. Try not to google much of it, just trust me. Also, go with shorts!
  • In Kyoto: you'll probably get templed-out at some point (Trust me, you will). My top 3 temples you kinda wanna pay and don't miss out: Golden and Silver Temple and Kiyomizu-Dera. Check out the 'philosopher's trail', it's near the Silver Temple.
  • Into PokĂ©mon? Go to the PokĂ©mon Centers. They're all pretty similar. I'd suggest going to the one in Sky Tree Tower in Tokyo (in Asakusa) and the one in Kyoto. Those were pretty big and filled with goodies you can buy. Plus: Sky Tree Tower is a good place to get souvenirs for friends/family.
  • Do not get souvenirs at Asakusa. I feel like it's a bit of a tourist trap. Overpriced and ugly stuff.
  • CafĂ©s you might be interested in checking out: Kirby CafĂ© (Sky Tree) and Final Fantasy CafĂ© (near Akihabara). Pretty neato.
  • You have to go to a Maid CafĂ©. They're not great as in the food, but it's a pretty whacky experience. Be prepared to cringe to a whole new level. Also, you can charge your phone while you're in there (my maid actually dropped mine, lol).
  • Since everything is super closed early in the morning, I'd recommend going to parks! They're open and they're mostly empty. Favorite parks to visit: Yoyogi and Ueno.
  • Hiroshima is lovely, underrated. Stay 2 days; 1 for Miyajima and the other for peaceful and lovely Hiroshima.
  • Also in Kyoto: Arashiyama (bamboo forest -> go early) and Fushimi Inari Taisha (tori gates -> go early).

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Someone told me the robot restaurant was the greatest thing ever and you have to book months in advance.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Significant other seems keen on staying in shinjuku, are there better districts or any someone would recommend?

Oct 27, 2017
Significant other seems keen on staying in shinjuku, are there better districts or any someone would recommend?

I traveled solo and stayed at a cheaper hostel in Asakusa. It's a very nice, historic neighborhood. The downside was it being very far from Shibuya, Shinjuku, etc. It's closer to Ueno and Akihabara. I really liked it, lots of temples and very peaceful

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Visit Sengakuji Temple in Tokyo, where the 47 Ronin are buried. It's outside the touristy sights in the city so it's calm and serene and beautiful, and also a very cool historic site. Definitely one of the highlights of my trip. For game stores, Super Potato was incredibly disappointing. I had a much better time just looking in Book Off or other used media stores.

Also, don't stress too much about picking out restaurants ahead of time for Tokyo at least, every street is lined with so many interesting restaurants and they're basically all great. I just wandered into whatever looked good and never had a bad meal.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Shinjuku is fine. Never stayed there myself but It seems like the default place most people stay in. Very conveniently located—if a little boring (in my opinion).

I traveled solo and stayed at a cheaper hostel in Asakusa. It's a very nice, historic neighborhood. The downside was it being very far from Shibuya, Shinjuku, etc. It's closer to Ueno and Akihabara. I really liked it, lots of temples and very peaceful
Yes, I have always preferred staying in the eastern side of town despite being inconvenient to reach the busier areas. Peaceful is the right word for it, which is only relative to shibuya etc. lol

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Language barrier:

Learn a few polite phrases- thank you, apologies etc. people will go wildly out of their way to help you and won't be remotely offended by lack of Japanese. On the contrary you have to be careful they don't for example walk you all the way to a station instead of pointing you in the right direction.

Very occasionally a person will be mortified by their lack of English and clam up or pretend not to hear you. That's about as close to rude as you're going to encounter (outside of drunk salarymen or the racist nationalist political vans)

All the signs in big city centers will have English and romaji and therefore easy to figure out but in small towns or the countryside everything will be in Japanese- although this'll be balanced out by even more extraordinarily helpful locals.

Download google translate to read and speak signs and phrases and basically be amazing .

Eat nakamoto ramen in Tokyo (Shinjuku station is the best branch) and Katsukura pork tonkatsu at the top of takashimiya dept store also on Shinjuku.

If you can fly into and out of haneda instead of narita do so because it saves a half day of travel that can be used for eating or shopping and you can uber or cab to haneda without going bankrupt. Narita is absolutely nowhere near Tokyo and worse than "Reykjavik " airport in terms of distance from alleged city location. Although the narita express is great and you see a lot of cool stuff on the long journey.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Shinjuku is my preferred place these days. It's where I stay for work.

I agree with this though. Used to be my regular and it's where I met my wife. I suggest staying east of the river to avoid the mega flood of tourists that have taken over the place.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I just got back from my 2nd trip literally 2 days ago.

Still jet lagged but my quick advice

Get a JR pass.
Get good comfortable walking shoes. My wife and I were doing over 10 miles a day, and if you have bad shoes you will be miserable.
Gonna echo the poster above - go to TeamLabs Tokyo. Don't look up what it is or the experience can be spoiled. Legitimately an incredible experience.
Get some high end wagyu or Kobe beef at some point.
If you are planning on going to touristy spots in Kyoto like Fushimi Inari or any other shrines, go early. Like arrive at the break of dawn. There are so many Chinese tourists everywhere now, every spot was absolutely packed.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ex-wife and I went for our honeymoon..

Check the weather.. I had one day booked for Mt. Fuji and there was a typhoon.. couldn't see ANYTHING and that was one of the big things I wanted to see.. so keep in mind, you may encounter stuff like that.

I'd recommend getting a Japanese pen pal and meeting up with them on day. Our pen pal showed us a lot of places I hadn't seen in researching and generally helped out tremendously. She introduced us to a place called The Lockup (https://savvytokyo.com/the-lockup-terrifying-tokyo-dining/)

If you're going to be out late at night, the subway shuts down, so you'll need to have taxi fare which can be expensive.

As far as English/Japanese language barriers, there's no worry there. I had a translator app, studied some basic stuff, and left it all at home before the trip. Everyone was helpful and a lot of people came up to us wanting to practice their English.

There's internet cafes if you're wanting to communicate with people -- if you're the type that's used to using your phone and not wanting to deal with stuff.

Go to Ueno Park, there's lots of performers and vendors. It's an amazing place to immerse yourself in things. There was a vendor who was doing free sake sampling and everyone was hanging out drinking and cheering and we ended up getting a lot of bottles for gifts.

While it may be fun to try a McDonalds, make sure you go out of your way to try something different. Lots of side alley restaurants, street vendors (pineapple on a stick is a nice quick snack).. get some yakitori..

Vending machines are awesome.. drinks are chilled, lots of variety, bits of pulp, etc.

Obviously check out the Bullet Train.. take in a temple/shrine.. above all have fun. My ex-wife had a tough time as it was her first airplane trip and was jet lagged and she shut down and felt self conscious the first day.

EDIT: Just a quick shorthand, if you want to know how much something is (ballpark) just move the decimal two places to the left. So 1000 yen is roughly 10 dollars.