• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User was warned for this post: Personal attack on another user
Xbox has the benefit of HDR and also being the best looking, best performing console version. On PC, you get whatever your machine can push, which seems to be quite a lot. Flip a coin and see what fits you more, OP.

PC obviously. With that rig, PC will run at a higher resolution, have better LOD, textures, shadows, IQ and framerate. Only thing going for XB1X is HDR.
That's the master race in a nutshell. Spreading lies all around to look superior.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox has the benefit of HDR and also being the best looking, best performing console version. On PC, you get whatever your machine can push, which seems to be quite a lot. Flip a coin and see what fits you more, OP.

That's the master race in a nutshell. Spreading lies all around to look superior.

What lies?

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
mods will have a greater impact on visuals than hdr in this case
But have you?

I assume because you're saying A > B, that you actually know what B is right?

Most people probably don't know what B is though - The not-cheap combo of a good HDR tv + an Xbox One X means most people probably haven't seen what HDR looks like in this game.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Puck has a good point here. Of those saying pc is a no brainer how many have actually seen hdr vs no hdr on this game?

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
But have you?

I assume because you're saying A > B, that you actually know what B is right?

Most people probably don't know what B is though - The not-cheap combo of a good HDR tv + an Xbox One X means most people probably haven't seen what HDR looks like in this game.

yes i have

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame this is even a question - PC should be at the forefront of stuff like this and have HDR available in all their games. The fact that you still cannot go out and buy a good HDR monitor for your PC right now is crazy. You either hook it up to a TV or you go without (don't get tricked by the currently available monitors that claim HDR compatibility, they are lacking the brightness to do anything more than tick a box).

Hopefully this all gets sorted out soon and PC can go back to being at the top in all areas of graphics, but until that happens it's not as easy an answer as a lot of people are making out.

Oct 31, 2017
I think you should play on Xbox and sell me that PC for a dirty cheap price.
It's the better solution for everyone.
You know what? I'll even send you a second Xbox X for it.

walriii314

Oct 28, 2017
X1X because an OLED + HDR> 60fps easily for me, after playing GOW4 and choosing the 60fps option, I ended up going back to 4k 30 HDR, I love eye candy.

memoso

Nov 6, 2017
Men it looks like you know were you want to play, if for any reason you decide to play it on PC. In every city/forest you will be wondering how it would look in HDR

Last edited:

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
Man it looks like you know were you want to play, if for any reason you decide to play it on PC. In every city/forest you will be wondering how it would look in HDR

Yeah seriously this. You'd always be thinking: "I bet this looks awesome in HDR, ah well".

Hairworks is overrated, the standard hair looks fine imo. The foliage and texture and shadow upgrades are minor as well, Xbox One X in graphics mode looks close enough as to make no difference during gameplay.

The framerate difference COULD be a big factor for you if you're sensitive to 30fps vs 60fps. It's a noticeable thing. 60fps feels significantly better to me, but for some people it's not a huge issue. The mod difference could also be a big factor if there are any mods that you'd consider must-have. It depends on you how important those things are.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017

Watch this so you can get a grasp on the immense potential of your PC. X1X is impressive for a console to be sure, and no $500 PC can touch it. Your 8700k/1080ti/ssd rig is absolutely capable of the definitive W3 experience.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah seriously this. You'd always be thinking: "I bet this looks awesome in HDR, ah well".

Hairworks is overrated, the standard hair looks fine imo. The foliage and texture and shadow upgrades are minor as well, Xbox One X in graphics mode looks close enough as to make no difference during gameplay.

The framerate difference COULD be a big factor for you if you're sensitive to 30fps vs 60fps. It's a noticeable thing. 60fps feels significantly better to me, but for some people it's not a huge issue. The mod difference could also be a big factor if there are any mods that you'd consider must-have. It depends on you how important those things are.

I'll be honest I am absolutely turn down the middle on what to do here. Same goes for games like Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3. HDR is a big difference maker but 99% of the time the PC would be a no brainer. I can't believe the lack of support for HDR on PC. It's a really sad situation.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I bought OG Witcher 3 on PS4.

Double dipped on X1X during a 20$ sale. Was not disappointed. It simply looks phenomenal on the X. Plays consistent as well. CDPR has done a great job supporting this game.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017

Master race? I don't even have a gaming PC.

Instead of calling me out for lying, how about you prove me wrong?

XB1X runs at a dynamic resolution in 4K mode, going as low as ~1440p in demanding cutscenes, up to 4K, but hanging around 1800p in graphic intense scenes. It has the same texture, LOD and AO settings as PS4 Pro (ie not as good as PC's highest settings). Shadow quality is better than Pro, but it's still not as good as PC's max setting.

His PC can run it at native 4K with near max settings at 60fps, while XB1X runs it at 1080p-1332p in performance mode at 35-60fps with dialed back texture filtering and shadow quality compared to 4K mode.

That's A LOT to give up for HDR.

Last edited:

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017

I think they did a good job, they supported the game well for over a year, the problem is that they decided they were finished with the game,
but because of the new consoles they decided to give extended support for those.

HDR is mostly for consoles atm, since a lot of TVs support it, while most people run high end PCs on non HDR monitors.
it would be nice to have it added to the PC, but I don't see it as a big deal, the game is from mid 2015!

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why you wouldn't play it on PC with that rig. The framerate boost alone will far outdo any minor benefit HDR gives, plus you could play it in true 4k too.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
If you want an interesting experience with the PC version, you can also play it in 21:9 with a custom 3440x1440 resolution. Witcher 3 looks amazing that way and runs comfortably at 60fps with a 1080ti (unlike native 4k which can drop here and there if you prefer max settings/hairworks).

On my ks9000
AfINhTTl.jpg

Renegade

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has the game both on PC with a 1070 (hooked up to TV) and a One X I would say the One X with HDR is my preferred version on a TCL p605 HDR TV. The image is clean and HDR is much more noticeable. I am a graphics whore too btw.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You know how there are those people that can't see 60fps? I think I'm one of them, except with HDR instead of frame rate. I can notice it if I really try looking for it , but if I'm just playing a game I really don't (I do have an OLED so colors are already much more vibrant than a standard LCD). So yeah, I'd take 100+ fps, G-Sync, and a higher resolution (not to mention mods) over HDR any day.

Edit: Oh yeah, also forgot to mention my monitor is 21:9, which is more amazing than I could have imagined before I bought this monitor.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are lighting mods and rehades that make the game look like the E3 presentation.

Got mods to double the bomb and potion slots and hotkey each sign for instant casting without having to deal with radial menus.

Do it on PC

dylie

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd opt for the PC version, but my reasoning might not really apply to you. My biggest reasons for choosing PC for my play through is because of ultra wide support, mouse + keyboard, and loading speeds off of my M.2 drive (I load from a fast travel in no longer than 3 seconds.) I really believe the Foliage Visibility setting and Terrain Quality on Ultra make a significant difference in Velen. I really feel lost and immersed in the vastness of the Velen forests, wherein the console versions, I'm missing that feeling which is something I value heavily. (This could be heavily reliant on the ultra wide resolution and not the graphical settings.)

As you know, your PC setup is no joke. There's no refuting the obvious advantages to playing on a PC, BUT I noticed you own a 1080p/144hz monitor, and in that case, I'm choosing the Xbox version in your situation. HDR with the checkerboard 4k visuals, in my opinion, will impress you.

Witcher III + Expansions is on sale for $19.99 on GOG right now (or buy it on steam and test it for an hour, if it's not impressing you then refund it!), and the Xbox version can be found for around the same price if used. Therefore, the best way to find out would be to try it out on both because everyone has different opinions on what is important for their gaming experience. If you do, make sure to give an update on your thoughts. :) I'm only running a GTX 1070 at 1080p - 21:9, so I'd be curious about your experience with your rig!

In the end, Witcher III is going to be amazing either way. I understand you want the best experience possible because I was chasing that feeling too, but no setup will ever be quite enough in my experience. Just enjoy yourself!

Last edited:
OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd opt for the PC version, but my reasoning might not really apply to you. My biggest reasons for choosing PC for my play through is because of ultra wide support, mouse + keyboard, and loading speeds off of my M.2 drive (I load from a fast travel in no longer than 3 seconds.) I really believe the Foliage Visibility setting and Terrain Quality on Ultra make a significant difference in Velen. I really feel lost and immersed in the vastness of the Velen forests, wherein the console versions, I'm missing that feeling which is something I value heavily. (This could be heavily reliant on the ultra wide resolution and not the graphical settings.)

As you know, your PC setup is no joke. There's no refuting the obvious advantages to playing on a PC, BUT I noticed you own a 1080p/144hz monitor, and in that case, I'm choosing the Xbox version in your situation. HDR with the checkerboard 4k visuals, in my opinion, will impress you.

Witcher III + Expansions is on sale for $19.99 on GOG right now (or buy it on steam and test it for an hour, if it's not impressing you then refund it!), and the Xbox version can be found for around the same price if used. Therefore, the best way to find out would be to try it out on both because everyone has different opinions on what is important for their gaming experience. If you do, make sure to give an update on your thoughts. :) I'm only running a GTX 1070 at 1080p - 21:9, so I'd be curious about your experience with your rig!

In the end, Witcher III is going to be amazing either way. I understand you want the best experience possible because I was chasing that feeling too, but no setup will ever be quite enough in my experience. Just enjoy yourself!

What about if I hook it up to my 4k tv? Still go Xbox in your opinion?

dylie

Oct 25, 2017
What about if I hook it up to my 4k tv? Still go Xbox in your opinion?

Unfortunately, I do not have much experience with connecting a 4K TV to a PC. I'm not sure if it causes lag/latency or something of that sort. I'm sure you can find some videos on your specific model of TV to see if that's an option. If it is an option, I'd definitely lean towards the PC version! It's still quite the PC gaming showcase and for good reason. Which platform did you initially play on?

(And a little off topic) if you want a transformative experience, play the Witcher II on PC! I had finished a play through on the Xbox 360 a year ago before I built my newest PC, and I recently went back to see the difference. Damn. It's night and day, and definitely worth a look. GOG has it on sale for $3.99 or something which is a steal! Looks like an entirely new game.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, I do not have much experience with connecting a 4K TV to a PC. I'm not sure if it causes lag/latency or something of that sort. I'm sure you can find some videos on your specific model of TV to see if that's an option. If it is an option, I'd definitely lean towards the PC version! It's still quite the PC gaming showcase and for good reason. Which platform did you initially play on?

(And a little off topic) if you want a transformative experience, play the Witcher II on PC! I had finished a play through on the Xbox 360 a year ago before I built my newest PC, and I recently went back to see the difference. Damn. It's night and day, and definitely worth a look. GOG has it on sale for $3.99 or something which is a steal! Looks like an entirely new game.

I have hooked my gaming PC to my 4k TV prior to upgrading it to it's current specs. It's good but there are some trade offs. Mainly in my computer room I have gsync on my monitor and a 5.1 surround sound speaker system. In our living room I just have a soundbar. I am actually learning more and more towards pc for final play through looking at the mods out.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
How do you even set up 5.1 properly in a desk PC setup? Most people use stereo monitors, headphones or a 2.1 setup.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Is Halo on PC (Windows Store)?

Legit question. I don't have a Xbox and would love to play the Halo series.

All future Halos will be. Up in the air if they'll port the Master Chief Collection to Windows 10 with whatever changes they are making to it this year. There's a very small list of Xbox exclusives not also on PC, most being non enhanced so there's really no benefit to playing them on an X vs a One S expect for maybe a smoother frame rate do to graphics overhead on the X but I didn't really notice any major frame rate issues playing Sunset Overdrive back in 2014.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
The people saying HDR is better than higher fps + higher graphical settings + mods

Like wtf especially with that rig

PC >> Xbox X easily in this instance and by a wide margin not minor differences like Pro to X

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
How do you even set up 5.1 properly in a desk PC setup? Most people use stereo monitors, headphones or a 2.1 setup.

Bought 2 small metal stands the back speakers are connected to. So on the floor beside the desk is the subwoofer, then on the desk in front of me are the left, center, and right spaced out, then rear speakers a few feet behind me.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
After lots of reading here and elsewhere, and seeing what the modding community has done for the Witcher 3 PC I have decided my final play through will be on my PC. It's going to be hard giving up HDR, but I just can't pass up what's left to see on PC.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
After lots of reading here and elsewhere, and seeing what the modding community has done for the Witcher 3 PC I have decided my final play through will be on my PC. It's going to be hard giving up HDR, but I just can't pass up what's left to see on PC.

yea it's sad that CDPR have decided not to have HDR on PC but who knows what drove that decision.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this old thread. I'm going to my first real play through of Witcher 3. Always played maximum 5h. I have it on Xbox one X and bought on steam playing with GeForce now. can still get a refund so I'm thinking which is best

GeForce now is capped at 1080p so

-1080p60fps ultra settings on pc (I turn off few like chromatic and vignette )
-1080p40-60 on Xbox one X.
It's tough to see much difference though

right now every time I start witcher 3 it gives me a rtx 10-8. Is it good ?