• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
jcfsSRJ.jpg

I also prefer mine with a personal injection of "hell yeah, let's finally get the big bad" adrenaline.

Sigma Fortress 1, Mega Man X

Solemn, somber, yet determined. Pumps you up but not in a cheesy way - shit is real and you are about to finally take down Sigma for good, and the music conveys this perfectly.

And this SHOULD have been the final level in Battletoads Arcade, The Dark Queen's Battleship:

Everything I said about Sigma Stage 1 applies here too. But this is stage 3, despite The Dark Queen being the big bad, and this being her literal fortress... wat. It's the final stage in my heart.

What are your favorites, and why?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

This theme encompasses the results of all the events that led to the end perfectly.

As a youtube comment posted perfectly explains it...

"An epic dungeon to end with this epic game, it is the perfect balance between struggle and "the victory is near"

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Sigma Stage 1 is a good shout.

My personal favorite is Streets of Rage 2's final level theme:

Not only is it a pretty great remix of the game's intro theme (itself an updated version of Streets of Rage 1's theme song), but it also mixes in a bit of Last Soul, the final level theme of the first game as well. Combined with the final boss theme also being an arrangement of SoR1's, it really drives home the overarching theme of revenge that the game has.

Oct 25, 2017
Celesete: Reach for the Summit

Revisiting the settings of old stages with a new power, tanking through them, and making a final push to the summit of the titular mountain. Probably my favorite last stage in a videogame ever, and the music totally nails it.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
The final fight in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is what comes to mind, when 'It Has To Be This Way' starts playing then you know stuff is about to go down.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people probably haven't heard this because it got added in DLC, but the updated final dungeon music from FFXV is a perfect example of this:

Dark, imposing rearrangement of the game's original theme that builds in intensity as it goes as you run through the devastated streets of your hometown fighting demons and the undead.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Honestly, this remains my favorite one ever, it just feels so intense, creepy, and scary to me, very appropriate for a final level:

As a bonus, here's a beyond awesome remix of that theme, in case you think that's too short:

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Ristar is a mostly not very serious game that inexplicably has a very thematic final boss theme. It's also through composed, which is very rare for videogame music since the idea is to create music that's going to form part of the background.

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas

Splatoon 1

Epic, heavy chords for intro before the fast-paced tune through the battle. Plus that now-iconic chant. Battle lives up to expectations too as you have to use every trick in the book to win.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
A lot of people probably haven't heard this because it got added in DLC, but the updated final dungeon music from FFXV is a perfect example of this:

Dark, imposing rearrangement of the game's original theme that builds in intensity as it goes as you run through the devastated streets of your hometown fighting demons and the undead.

...Man, I really need to get around to finishing the Royal Edition content.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
They don't actually end up being the ends of the games but the climax dungeons in both the Cold Steel games have amazing music

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
...Man, I really need to get around to finishing the Royal Edition content.

The new Chapter 14 is so damn good. It has a TON of content (a lot of it optional), and it actually lets the bros contribute to the final battles rather than knocking them out of the battle party as soon as you reach the Citadel. Even Cor gets a big moment!

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
The last stage music in Fire Emblem Awakening and Echoes are so good.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Sigma Stage 1 is a good shout.

My personal favorite is Streets of Rage 2's final level theme:

Not only is it a pretty great remix of the game's intro theme (itself an updated version of Streets of Rage 1's theme song), but it also mixes in a bit of Last Soul, the final level theme of the first game as well. Combined with the final boss theme also being an arrangement of SoR1's, it really drives home the overarching theme of revenge that the game has.

Both SoR 1 and 2. Incredibleness man. I get chills listening to the track you posted

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If this is the new theme, when does Somnus come into play?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The best, hands down:

Victory Road calling back to the main Pokémon theme is also pretty fun:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nier Automata's is an absolute no brainer (regardless of what the last level is in your eyes).

Title's a bit of a spoiler so I won't post it here.

Original NIER is somewhat the same as well.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
ID Purpose is a great and heartfelt track that takes the other id tracks and brings them to the logical conclusion.

Oct 28, 2017
It's the Endless Possibility theme in Sonic Unleashed. Just perfect. From a gameplay perspective the finale of Sonic Unleashed......wasn't exactly the best. But goddamn that music got you hype.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Also, KH3's final area has some amazing music that the game doesn't let you listen to nearly long enough before forcing you into the final boss battle:

Listen to this shit. Top tier Shimomura.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you first reach Insomnia, Somnus plays. The theme shifts after you walk around for a little while because Ardyn pops up to taunt you and sets the fires to block your path.
Does it come back when you enter the castle? because that small trek from the entrance to the Ifrit fight is imo one of the best moments of the game for me. It'd suck if that was changed :/

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Final boss rather than level but I think it fits

Dream Team's is great too

Both composed by Yoko Shimomura

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Does it come back when you enter the castle? because that small trek from the entrance to the Ifrit fight is imo one of the best moments of the game for me. It'd suck if that was changed :/

That trek is gone. Ardyn blocks the path to the Citadel after you come out of the first ruined subway station, and you have to move through the ruins of the city to find an alternate route to the Ifrit fight. Along the way, you link up with Cor and the Kingsglaive, and a bunch of stuff happens.

Also Omega's there.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spider's String from Digital Devil Saga. It gradually builds up as you climb the tower.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The best, hands down:

Victory Road calling back to the main Pokémon theme is also pretty fun:

Somehow
SOMEHOW
As someone who thought the RSE Victory Road/E4 League Theme was an absolute top three in Pokemon music, I didn't catch that it was the main theme. This.. this makes it even better.

Hage

Mar 15, 2018
Not really last dungeon per se, but the music for the last area of the world map of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is the textbook definition of this, imo.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That trek is gone. Ardyn blocks the path to the Citadel after you come out of the first ruined subway station, and you have to move through the ruins of the city to find an alternate route to the Ifrit fight. Along the way, you link up with Cor and the Kingsglaive, and a bunch of stuff happens.

Also Omega's there.
Damn, that sounds really.... not great, though I haven't played it so I don't wanna judge preemptively.

That trek was so emotionally charged for me, too :/

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that sounds really.... not great, though I haven't played it so I don't wanna judge preemptively.

That trek was so emotionally charged for me, too :/

Believe me, it works. You have enough time to soak in the atmosphere of the original Insomnia before Ardyn changes everything. The new map is simply way, way too big and dangerous for the quieter walk forward to be appropriate anymore.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fight 3. Also used for the intro, but works great for the moments before the final showdown.

This is pretty nice 8bit final stage music too