• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
So much stuff to read already,and world map looks pretty fine too. Keeping expectations about HD-cities in check, but if all the different kingdoms are actually gonna be in the game, that would be amazing. I hope exploration is fleshed out, combat and war would be a lot more meaningful if we can enjoy some peace.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Finally the return of Lone Wolf the Pickpocket

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Lone Wolf the Pickpocket

Lone Wolf the Pickpocket (こそドロ一匹オオカミ, Kosodoro Ippiki Ōkami?, lit. Lone Wolf the Pilferer) is a recurring character in the series. He is a werewolf, a thief, and steals treasure from chests before the party obtains them. He is frequently seen imprisoned. Lone Wolf is imprisoned in Castle Walse...

I didn't know that he appeared in XIV, this is news to me.

FFFanatic

Nov 1, 2017
Hoping we'll see some more diverse looking peeps in the future. One knock I have against FFXIV, much as I love the game, is that nearly all the scions are pale-skinned with white hair. World building looks pretty interesting so far.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching the trailer and you're right. I can see another person in some of the combat footage. I'm just skeptical that it's a permanent party member and not some temporary helper.

But this is all speculation on my part. They could easily release something else down the line. We knew of Noctis loooooong before Prompto, Ignis, and Gladiolus.

Yeah. The FF marketing machine loves to show off the protagonist first and then drip feed party members over time. We even saw that with FFVIIR considering how long it took them to reveal bloody Tifa.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Finally the return of Lone Wolf the Pickpocket

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Lone Wolf the Pickpocket

Lone Wolf the Pickpocket (こそドロ一匹オオカミ, Kosodoro Ippiki Ōkami?, lit. Lone Wolf the Pilferer) is a recurring character in the series. He is a werewolf, a thief, and steals treasure from chests before the party obtains them. He is frequently seen imprisoned. Lone Wolf is imprisoned in Castle Walse...
I'm not against the resurgence of the Werewolf race. To me, I'd rather see that than FFXVI's take on Tarutaru/Lalafell, Elvaan/Elezen, Galka/Roegadyn and Mithra/Mi'qote.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys feel about the Naruto storyline? I think premises like that can be quite interesting if done right. There's a lot of potential here.

I'm thinking that I'm miffed because a lot of ideas for character action games I have are getting used before I'm able to implement them in a game myself, lol.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that I like it. I like the idea of (specifically giant) monsters sealed within people giving them special powers.

I'm also thinking that between DMC5, Nomura games and this (and probably other things I'm unaware of), there are might be a fair bit of Naruto fans in the game industry that have been seemingly inspired by it. Which makes some sense given its popularity, but isn't really something you think given that it's not really spoken of with that much reverence compared to something like Devilman, or JoJo, and it wasn't super original.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I think the assumption is coming from the description of the dominant as an advisor which is what she appears to be in the Awakening trailer combined with her yellow (generally considered Titan's colour, especially in XIV) nail polish since it is an unusual colour choice and they like to use accents like that in character designs.

well that makes more sense but I'll wait until it is confirmed.

Jan 11, 2018
What if we got a Birth by Sleep style narrative for the three main protagonists? Maybe we start off pre-timeskip, and after a major event happens we can pick which narrative we want to complete first, and then we'll all eventually meet up for the second half of the game and perhaps find the fourth warrior of light?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not against the resurgence of the Werewolf race. To me, I'd rather see that than FFXVI's take on Tarutaru/Lalafell, Elvaan/Elezen, Galka/Roegadyn and Mithra/Mi'qote.

If the trend continues we should be getting Ivalice races. I could see the mixing a few of those with a few from XI/XIV. The empire seems to be broadly similar to Ishgard with the obvious Vatican influence and Dragoons, so perhaps they're mostly elves? And the Au Ra I think are fair game since they were just created for XIV. They haven't been overused at all yet.

Jan 11, 2018
There was absolutely no doubt FF7R would have a party. That's not really the same thing.

They eventually made all the characters in FFXV playable, which tells me they were aware of that criticism and perhaps wanted to do it all along with couldn't make it happen in time for launch. I can't imagine the FFXVI team going in thinking "having a party is not going to be a goal at any point during development".

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
I don't know why but I always find it funny that FF characters have last names. Maybe because they rarely mentioned in the games.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm glad after today that we have more of a conflict within the plot. It doesn't look like there will be one major villain or character story.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
They eventually made all the characters in FFXV playable, which tells me they were aware of that criticism and perhaps wanted to do it all along with couldn't make it happen in time for launch. I can't imagine the FFXVI team going in thinking "having a party is not going to be a goal at any point during development".

I said this in the previous thread, but the team making FFXVI went out of their way to structure Heavensward in a way that it feels and progresses the way a single-player game would despite being an MMO, traveling party included. And it's a great impression, honestly! I'm playing through it myself now and I think I like it more than some actual SP FFs. So, I have no idea why they wouldn't want to do "the real thing" when given the opportunity too.

And I know they're making clear this is going to be the next one in the series to really challenge conventions, but it should be noted: That's something to be done in balance with preserving the reasons people like FF to begin with, and I can't imagine Yoshida would disagree. You don't just throw the baby out with the bath water and that's not what they're going to do here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV and VIIR IMO had good combat but ... i could do without a party if that is where we're headed, tbh. just let me customize/strategize around one dude

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Was reading back some pages and wow people really don't think Clive is a suitable FF protagonist name? I think people need to take a look at all the protagonist names in the main games because wow lol.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
If the trend continues we should be getting Ivalice races. I could see the mixing a few of those with a few from XI/XIV. The empire seems to be broadly similar to Ishgard with the obvious Vatican influence and Dragoons, so perhaps they're mostly elves? And the Au Ra I think are fair game since they were just created for XIV. They haven't been overused at all yet.

I would totally love Au Ra and I'm totally not biased because I main one.

Jan 11, 2018
Looking at the banners, most of them hint at their respective Eikon.

Rosaria shows Phoenix, as expected.
Sanbreque shows a woman and two dragons. Shiva and/or Leviathan seems the most likely bets.
Waloed shows a horse's head and six legs. Definitely Odin's horse Sleipnir.
Dhalmekia shows Titan, but more interestingly icons representing the four main elements and an additional one.
Iron Kingdom is a lot more vague, but given one of Clive's abilities in the trailer and the lack of wind representation I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Garuda for this one!

Crystalline Dominion also shows elemental icons, each representing a nation and their seat at the table there. Odin is clearly the odd one out, lacking in elemental attributes.

It also shows four crystals at the bottom.

Now this leads me to believe that we're going to see the return of Light Crystals and Dark Crystals, a concept from earlier Final Fantasy games. With Ifrit being described as a Dark Eikon, I would guess that every nation except perhaps Waloed is in possession of a Dark Crystal - or something to that effect - and that perhaps Sanbreque is also privy to this truth, hence why they possibly have two different water/ice Eikons pictured in their coat of arms.

That leaves a Dark Eikon of Earth and Wind respectively, although they might go for totally different elements with the Dark Crystals. If that's the case, the dragons of Waloed might be Bahamut rather than Leviathan.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Now this leads me to believe that we're going to see the return of Light Crystals and Dark Crystals, a concept from earlier Final Fantasy games. With Ifrit being described as a Dark Eikon, I would guess that every nation except perhaps Waloed is in possession of a Dark Crystal - or something to that effect - and that perhaps Sanbreque is also privy to this truth, hence why they possibly have two different water/ice Eikons pictured in their coat of arms.

That leaves a Dark Eikon of Earth and Wind respectively, although they might go for totally different elements with the Dark Crystals. If that's the case, the dragons of Waloed might be Bahamut rather than Leviathan.

or maybe qlippotic (kabbalic term for "corrupt") versions of whichever respective Eikon

but pure spitballing here

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Krile, Tataru, and Giott, every lalafell takes me out of any scene.
Aite you're forgiven somewhat for not shitting on Tataru

tenor.gif

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Folks should keep in mind that a city can be big, but not every part of it needs to be explorable. There could be sections of towns, stuck together but specific main roads or alleyways. It doesnt have to be a gta sized city with block after block.

Also, castles can have interiors and secret passageways and rooms! Interiors in general!