• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like it.

JRPGs with names like 'Edge Maverick' Feel a little try hard to me.
We used to have Final Fantasy games with playable characters named "Cecil", "Vincent", "Barrett", "Guy", "Edward", "Edgar", "Fran", and "Lulu".

I'm just happy we don't have a big party with THESE actual Final Fantasy names:

Beowulf Cadmus
Druksmald Goltanna
Folmarv Tengille
Arazlam Durai
Ajora Glabados
Zalbaag Beoulve
Mustadio Bunansa
Goffard Gaffgarion
Valmafra Lenande
Milleuda Folles
Gragoroth Levigne
Ezel Berbier

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I know better then to get hyped for another water city after the mess that was Altissia. Was never huge and fully explorable as they said... I couldn't even go to the top waterfalls! Will remain cautious about this water city even though it's a marvel.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Western coast - Iron Kingdom; Religious worshippers of Crystal. Speak their own language. Unaccepting of dominants.

West - Rosaria Duchy; Eikon is Phoenix , Dominant becomes Archduke eventually. Source of aether is Iron Kingdom's crystal, thus ownership is a source of contention

East - Kingdom of Waloed; Redacted Eikon. Dominant is their current king and has beaten off orc and beastmen; building army to take on neighbors

South - Dhalmekians; Made of 5 states; Eikon is Titan, whose dominant has a special role as advisor to the republic's parliament.

North(?) - Empire of Sabreque; Led by holy Emperor who is worshipped like a deity. Eikon is redacted whose dominant serves as champion/soldier

Center - Crystalline Dominion; No dominants. factions agreed that the a rep from each will form a council to lead the dominion. Land is important and has been fought over in the past

Laying it all out theres so much potential here for something special

I see Game of Thrones' influence everywhere. The different houses they just introduced and the dark almost machiavellian themes we saw from the trailer, which is almost a subversion of traditional FF Themes. It screams ASOIAF.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
People clown Clive but we're coming off of literally Noctis Lucis Caelum lmao

This is an improvement in my opinion

And speaking of FFXV, that city is giving me Altissia vibes. Hopefully it's a lot more explorable than Altissia. Don't need to be able to go into every building, but make it feel like a living city.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Mother Crystals are the broken body parts of a giant being named Drake

It's probably like Hyne's body from FFVIII, except dragonian

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
We used to have Final Fantasy games with playable characters named "Cecil", "Vincent", "Barrett", "Guy", "Edward", "Edgar", "Fran", and "Lulu".

Beowulf Cadmus
Druksmald Goltanna
Folmarv Tengille
Arazlam Durai
Ajora Glabados
Zalbaag Beoulve
Mustadio Bunansa
Goffard Gaffgarion
Valmafra Lenande
Milleuda Folles
Gragoroth Levigne
Ezel Berbier
You take that back!

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Mother Crystals are the broken body parts of a giant being named Drake

It's probably like Hyne's body from FFVIII, except dragonian

gingiser-gattai.gif

End boss = eikons all combine together to form Bahumat

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
New art is dope and I like the character names. Clive is a perfectly fine name especially given it's Yoshi-P who likes giving the human characters in XIV standard names. It's the other races who get the crazy shit.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Man man man, that all sounds great. FF9 made me a sucker for Eidolons/summons in Final Fantasy, so love the focus and how they're being implemented.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I see Game of Thrones' influence everywhere. The different houses they just introduced and the dark almost machiavellian themes we saw from the trailer, which is almost a subversion of traditional FF Themes. It screams ASOIAF.

I'm so fucking onboard with that. I know that it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's the cool thing about FF. For all we know the next entry may go back to a more whimsical style like FF9, and that would be cool too. But in the meantime, let's give serious/dark FF a chance :)

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Yo this Eikons and the Dominants thing is basically like the Bijuu and Jinchuuriki concept from Naruto....

Oct 31, 2017
Remember when Yoshida said his bosses got angry at him for adding a CG cutscene to the end of the Bahamut Raid

Yoshida

don't be a coward

embrace the desire to add in CG cutscenes even if higher ups say no

Please

that's all I want from this game now. Just a confirmation that it'll have multiple CG cutscenes and I'll be comfortably hyped 🥺

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Honestly - this seems really boring. I hope I'm wrong but this just seems really really bland. Need to see some gameplay...

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Six different houses with strong emblems and differences... Final Fantasy going Game of Thrones.
I mean, they've basically got the Iron Islands in here and didn't even bother hiding it in the name lmao

The Iron Kingdom -- A small group of islands off the coast of Storm, the western half of Valisthea's twin realms.
Honestly - this seems really boring. I hope I'm wrong but this just seems really really bland. Need to see some gameplay...
As a lifelong fanboy I'll play all the singleplayer mainline entries multiple times... but I have the same feelings.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Some I'm guessing these are all points of interest:
nJcsrFe.jpg

Beowulf Cadmus
Druksmald Goltanna
Folmarv Tengille
Arazlam Durai
Ajora Glabados
Zalbaag Beoulve
Mustadio Bunansa
Goffard Gaffgarion
Valmafra Lenande
Milleuda Folles
Gragoroth Levigne
Ezel Berbier
To be honest, "Ezel Berbier" sounds the most "mainline single-player/non-MMORPG FF friend" out of those names. The FF series has always had a mixture of normal sounding names with more "stranger" sounding names. Need I remind people, FFIV's protag is named "Cecil Harvey". These three names, Clive and Joshua Rosfield and Jill Warrick fit in with the typical FF naming, ESPECIALLY the old school more medieval fantasy ones. Given there are dragoons, I'm sure we'll see a Highwind somewhere in here, and we'll DEFINTELY see a Cid popping up. Remember, people, FFI had Princess Sara and Queen Jane. Not Princess Saranea, and Queen Jayneth, just Sara/Sarah and Jane.

Final Fantasy Dimensions, which was helmed by Tokita (guy that did the story for FFIV) carried on the old school naming tradition in that game. You have normal names like Diana, Barbara, Sophia, Eduardo (Spanish), and Graham, but also have Sol, Nacht, Dusk, Aigis and Glaive.

Or L'cie and Eidolons from XIII.
Difference between that is that it seems you are born a Dominant, not branded one.

Last edited:

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
The lore dumps in this website at this early stage in the promotion alone has me super excited.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
The names "Clive" and "Joshua" got me thinking of another mature-themed bloody medieval fantasy JRPG...

51IBduyNyML._AC_.jpg

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It would be interesting if you could turn into the dragon somehow, by some twist, Clive is also a dominent. haha. Or if the small dragon is a peer that roams with you and can talk somehow. It would be cool.

ElhAKY0XIAIXpmY

Inb4 Clive becomes the dominent of Bahamut, and gets revenge on the whole world worth of summons.

Sep 14, 2018
Difference between that is that it seems you are born a Dominant, not branded one.
The things from Naruto are also created by other people, not born according to what I just read.

I think people just want to run with "this was copied from GoT, this was copied from Naruto, that from X" etc. I guess I don't need to get in the way of that lol.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
That art reminds me so much of Vagrant Story art style. It gave me chills thinking about it. I love Ivalice, I miss Vagrant Story.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
It would be interesting if you could turn into the dragon somehow, by some twist, Clive is also a dominent. haha. Or if the small dragon is a peer that roams with you and can talk somehow. It would be cool.

ElhAKY0XIAIXpmY

Inb4 Clive becomes the dominent of Bahamut, and gets revenge on the whole world worth of summons.

The way I read it from the site is that you're born into being a dominant, you can't become one through choice.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Yoshida said his bosses got angry at him for adding a CG cutscene to the end of the Bahamut Raid

Yoshida

don't be a coward

embrace the desire to add in CG cutscenes even if higher ups say no

Please

that's all I want from this game now. Just a confirmation that it'll have multiple CG cutscenes and I'll be comfortably hyped 🥺
It's not needed anymore.

Full in game cutscenes. Keep the consistency and immersion.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The way I read it from the site is that you're born into being a dominant, you can't become one through choice.
What if it wasn't a choice. Clives brother falls to a tragedy, His father the archduke too I think. What better ultimate revenge than to use one of thr strongest and most famous summons. To exact that revenge. "I'll kill you, if it's the last thing I do" he says. Maybe the power of a summon is what he needs. And he is special.

Maybe Clive is the first individual in this world who makes a pact with Diablos or Bahamut! To fight the struggle of the rest.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019

Beowulf Cadmus
Druksmald Goltanna
Folmarv Tengille
Arazlam Durai
Ajora Glabados
Zalbaag Beoulve
Mustadio Bunansa
Goffard Gaffgarion
Valmafra Lenande
Milleuda Folles
Gragoroth Levigne
Ezel Berbier

I have to agree with this, Garlador von Reseteraus

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Picture riding the chocobo in a huge grassy field. And then jumping off of it because a behemoth or two came out of the nearby forest.

Picture flying an airship and seeing the crystal dominion from above.

Picture running on a battlefield with 100 other NPCs fighting, like a real war in final fantasy!

Picture roaming into a city or town (in one of the 6 kingdoms, which IMO are inevitably better thought out than the XV cities). And Picture just roaming the streets, visiting a bar or inn in this world. The NPCs just roaming like FFIX or FFXII. And you talking to them.

This is so hype. It's a bunch of things. I am so hyped.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
How do you guys feel about the Naruto storyline? I think premises like that can be quite interesting if done right. There's a lot of potential here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
We are going to see CG cutscenes. Visual Works exists, and if they aren't gonna contribute to a mainline FF then why keep them around?

Oct 31, 2017
This is giving me very strong XII vibes. Do I dare believe?
Someone else pointed it out:

Valisthea= Ivalice + Eorzea lol

We are going to see CG cutscenes. Visual Works exists, and if they aren't gonna contribute to a mainline FF then why keep them around?

I'm only (kind of) irrationally paranoid about it for numerous reasons:

1. Director directed The Last Remnant, which had no CG
2. Takai and Yoshida are heavily involved in the MMO's, which contain almost no CG outside of the openings. But then again... those are MMO's lol
3. Final Fantasy XV only had 3 CG cutscenes, but that was only because they had to use 110 minutes' worth for Kingsglaive

Yeah I'm being impatient + irrational.