• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
This is looking great!

Between this, Horizon and God of War if they all hit in the next 2 years things are going to be bonkers.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
The skip is also necessary to set up the spread of the Blight. I expect it will have gone wild post-skip which will explain why there are more Dark Eikons to battle.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's such a bummer that folks like me who can't play twitch based action games well have just aged out I guess. Final Fantasy is probably my favorite franchise since game 1 and the loss of turn based gameplay just kills me.

Character design and story sounds super cool though.
I hadn't really thought about this but yeah it does basically suck getting told that the franchise you grew up with and love is basically telling you to "play the shitty spinoff game or learn action combat."

If they took something like FF7R and had auto attack like Xenoblade to limit the amount of inputs it could retain the flair without being the baby mode that "classic" mode is in FF7R.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
As generic as it gets
EiNTxvlXcAEnNXL.png

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I also feel like if this was an open world game they would have said it already, so I am sticking with my prediction of large open zone like 12 or the Xenoblade games, maybe even bigger in scale.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
World map also reminded me of FFXI with Jueno serving as the center where all nation's co-exist.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is Jill from any of the 6 kingdom? They mention her as part of the "Northern territory" but not a kingdom. Not sure If I'm getting it right.

Also do we have a world map so I can understand more where each kingdom is located?

I'm hyped to dive in this game's lore.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to this, was sick and tired of the futuristic nonsense of some of the previous titles. It felt like FFXV was the culmination of that.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Leaked dev meeting conversations :

" Guys, we want it to be Ivalice and Eorzea but not Ivalice and Eorzea so we are free from canon. What do we do ?
- Called it Valisthea, nobody will notice.
- Genius. Done. "

Also :

" what is exotic fancy architecture ?
- Paris.
- Also Venice.
- But we already did Venice in XV ?
- Yeah but it was a waste and this is too good to pass on.
- Okay, let's do Paris on top of Venice canals then ?
- Yeah, but don't forget Crytals. Like, GIANT CRYSTALS. "

50542209717_17903636c7_o.png
Hey ! I like me some Paris ok ?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Final fantasy use to have like 16 characters, then they had 8, then 4, now they are down to 3

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
How exciting! Already so much better than what we are used too from the FF franchise.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder what's going to happen to Clive to make him go on a revenge journey, is Ifrit going to kill Joshua or Jill? Will Clive want revenge on Ifrit and his dominant?

I love me some revenge story with all the nuances that comes with it so I'm anxiously waiting for this game and it's the major reason why I went with an PS5 instead of Xbox.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
So, from the early translations of the trailers, "Zanbrek" seems to be "Sanbreque". There's also way more nations/lands that many of us theorized there to be.

Firion
Luneth
Cecil
Bartz
Terra
Cloud
Squall
Zidane
Tidus
Vaan
Lightning
Noctis

And now.....Clive :P
Clive, Joshua and Jill fit more as "mainline FF names" than if they named him Galfaldral Lulorion or something like that. The more simpler names actually harkens back to the more old school FFs when you had characters named Edward, Guy, Maria, and Gordon.

Lol I'm dying at anyone calling these names dumb in a series where a character was named Lightning
Lightning is the only name I dislike, to be honest. It has nothing to do with it being as blunt of a name as it is (like Cloud), but maybe has more to do with being as long as it is. I prefer my names pretty simple. Clive works in that regard.

Fuck ME, we got a fuckin' WORLD map! We got a fuckin' WORLD!!! I think the last single-player FF to give us an actual world (online ones are VERY GOOD at including actual worlds into their games) was FFX and one was small by comparison to most others:
carte2_2321484.jpg

FFXII, it wasn't even the entire world where the game took place, just a region.

FFXIII, please...

FFXV, I refuse to see that as being Eos in its entirety. If THAT is all that exists on Eos, it's mainly a water planet with tiny little islands clustered close to each other and nothing more.

FFXVI, on the other hand, THIS is what I want. Looks meaty, looks fitting for a FF-world map. I'm not expecting old school style exploration, but more something like zones, BUT I hope we can explore the HELL out of it and feel satisfied with it. I also hope there are many methods of transportation. We got our feet, we'll likely get chocobos, but howabout boats/ships? Howabout airships (classic, propellered airships)? I HOPE we see all that!

I love it. It has those islands on the outskirts of the continents that will surely be dungeons or special places! Like the old days! The kingdom distances between each other look spread out! Really digging it.
I'm hoping for that. That's been SORELY MISSING in many modern FF games. More dungeons, more secret locations. Cut all those fetch quest missions, add more missions that revovle around secret locations and dungeons.

And lol, they can reuse some of the assets from FFXV's Altissia I guess :p

50542209717_17903636c7_o.png
And I, and among others were wondering if this game was just going to stay baked in the more grounded, dark and realistic setting. Nah, this shit's straight up fantastical fantasy. I felt this way about Tenebrae in FFXV and it's a shame nothing became of that location other than being a pitstop on the way to another location. When I think of fantastical lands of "Final Fantasy", I think of shit like this. ESPECIALLY a big ass crystal tower (like in the castle). Reminds me of the sword in Alexandria, the Sylx Tower of FFIII and the towers in FFIV. THIS, IMO, is what an old school FF world SHOULD look like!

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Final fantasy use to have like 16 characters, then they had 8, then 4, now they are down to 3
We went many years with Noctis and Stella as the only revealed characters for what eventually became XV.

The initial reveal of XIII was ONLY Lightning.

When X was announced, the party shown was just Tidus (with black hair!) and Yuna.

Cloud and Barret were the only technically confirmed characters for VII Remake for about 4 years.

Like, give them a minute. :D

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Imagine playing FF16 for 20 hours, and youve barely dealt with 2 kingdoms. I feel like this could be a meaty game! wow. I need to explore this world and the regions between kingdoms. I need this game.

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
I also feel like if this was an open world game they would have said it already, so I am sticking with my prediction of large open zone like 12 or the Xenoblade games, maybe even bigger in scale.

I am PRAYING that its zoned. Especially with the practically 0 loading times that will be possible on PS5, this type of design choice seems like it'd be a no brainer

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We went many years with Noctis and Stella as the only revealed characters for what eventually became XV.

The initial reveal of XIII was ONLY Lightning.

When X was announced, the party shown was just Tidus (with black hair!) and Yuna.

Cloud and Barret were the only technically confirmed characters for VII Remake for about 4 years.

Like, give them a minute. :D
Sorry they burnt me so many times I just expect the worse now, I just want the old ff back

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
And I, and among others were wondering if this game was just going to stay baked in the more grounded, dark and realistic setting. Nah, this shit's straight up fantastical fantasy. I felt this way about Tenebrae in FFXV and it's a shame nothing became of that location other than being a pitstop on the way to another location. When I think of fantastical lands of "Final Fantasy", I think of shit like this. ESPECIALLY a big ass crystal tower (like in the castle). Reminds me of the sword in Alexandria, the Sylx Tower of FFIII and the towers in FFIV. THIS, IMO, is what an old school FF world SHOULD look like!
Yeah one of my biggest disappointment of this gen is FFXV totally cutting short everything after leaving to Altissia and making it just one big train ride lol. Even Altissia is largely wasted potential. I hope in this one we can walk to that huge spire tower (and spires) in that picture lol.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I really love the very plain names. Unironically.

Like, probably my favorite FF protagonist name, lol.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the time skip is 4 or 6 years since Square will obviously want 12-year-old Jill to be 16 (Japanese version) or 18 (Western versions) post-time skip.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIII world map

latest

FFXV world map

Pg4Ypku--YTIbCumlZM_3gp6rzVUwv6Qv87PUgEgcxw.png

------------------------

Loving the kingdom and lore descriptions. I really hope we can go to all these kingdoms? Realistically maybe only 3 or 4 though?

The name is okay

All 3 main characters are the worst designed FF protagonists since pre FFIV era though. Just forgettable. But hey its hitting every other note

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly I vastly prefer these names over the names in XIV like Myrlweb Bloefswynn or however you spell it

Clive reminds me of the name Claude

Jill is an awesome name

gimme

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Middle English cliven, from Old English clīfan ("to cleave, adhere, stick"), from Proto-Germanic *klībaną ("to glue, stick"), from Proto-Indo-European *gleybʰ- ("to lubricate, stick"). Cognate with Dutch kleven ("to adhere, stick"), German kleben ("to adhere, stick"), Swedish kliva ("to climb, stalk"), Icelandic klífa ("to climb, ascend").

Aug 4, 2020
So each of them has/can transform into a summon (Ifrit, Phoenix, Shiva) Im guessing. I like the designs and setting so far.