• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
God damn this looks really, really good. This and 7 Remake Part 2 are easily my most anticipated games right now.

Glad that there is some sort of time skip - I always love that in games/shows/movies. So curious to learn more if there will be a party/party members at all.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
So after 10+ pages I feel crazy for thinking that the first thing that came into my mind when I heard Clive was this guy...

BgBM7rc.jpg

or maybe I'm just old. XD

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, thats not what he said. The game will have top end graphics at launch, but they wont sell you the game based entirely on CG gameplay videos that are nigh impossible to live up to.
He considers an unhealthy obsession at S-E for always having the best graphics a bad thing. One that sunk 14. I don't think 16 will be the most graphically advanced game by the time it's out and that's fine. That's what I meant by top end.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I am genuinely baffled as a British person, I'm pretty sure I could check classified ads and find at least 10 Clives working as plumbers, which is why it being picked as a name in a fantastical RPG is kinda funny

Also Clive Barker the Hellraiser director

Apparently the all-American Garfield even had an invisible friend called Clive

Yeah, if anything it's just such a conventional name that it feels weird.

That said, I've had that issue since Castlevania, with series protagonists called Trevor and Simon?
pPVZ04k.png

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So...I'm one of the weirdo's that actually likes Nero better in DMC4 and DMC5; I always preferred the simply versions of DMC. But yet, I can't find myself excited for a mainline FF in this style. It's like: "Does this series even have an identity any more?"

I don't see why that's necessarily a bad thing personally. The fact that each FF is it's own thing with loose connections in like monster designs is a strength imo not a weakness.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I'm loving all the world building with the different factions around the individual Mothercrystals. I can already imagine some huge cities and towns to explore.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He considers an unhealthy obsession at S-E for always having the best graphics a bad thing. One that sunk 14. I don't think 16 will be the most graphically advanced game by the time it's out and that's fine. That's what I meant by top end.
Looks like we agree, thanks for clarifying :)

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Imma starting to feel it. Curious to see more of those sprawling cities in the art. Storywise, I'm more interested then I've been in years.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Going to repost my thoughts on the the map! These are all guesses and could be wrong ! aside from the middle crystal dominion confirmed. Tallest crystal.

6 Kingdoms: Rosaria, Waloed, Sanbreque, Dhalmek, Iron Kigndom, Crystalline Dominion,
Crystal Dominion is clearly the kingdom in the middle I think with the giant crystal we see int he new art today. Heart of the world. As the description says, the biggest crystal.

Waloed is the kingdom of the whole continent on the east. The city in the north of that east continent. The right of the image. It has a giant tsunami or water whirlpool happening. Its logo looks like Odin Horse? But that water whirlpool could mean water summon ?

The Iron Kingdom. We see a giant shard sticking into an island on the left of the map, after the west big continent. That could be it, it is isolated.

Rosario is the kingdom to the north if this island. Opposite of the Waloed capital. It is on the north of the west continent.

Dhalmek? My guess is, 5 states, as it says. I see 5 small town symbols on the western continent. Idk.

I love the map and can see distance between the kingdoms. I hope we can travel far with chocobo and airship! :D I cannot wait. This is the most hyped ive been for an FF in a long time.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...I'm one of the weirdo's that actually likes Nero better in DMC4 and DMC5; I always preferred the simply versions of DMC. But yet, I can't find myself excited for a mainline FF in this style. It's like: "Does this series even have an identity any more?"

People recognizing the FF XVI announcement trailer 5 seconds in means that yes, the series still have an identity.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Older Clive is a lot better, take that young Fairy Fencer generic ass protagonist away from here. Hoping to see more diversity though in these characters.

Really liking what I read about the nations so far, not much to go on but at least it sets the stage for possible dynamic changes between them and interesting plot points through their alliance.

The art is also so damn good, I would want this game right now if I wasn't going through XIV.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
He straight up uses charge shot and other Nero moves in the trailer.

source.gif

There's enemy step, devil bringer/snatch, Shuffle and idk what else in the trailer too.

gonna speculate here. What if that's a fire spell charging. like you have to set it and wait for it to charge via melee like ff7r?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Joshua is a fine name for a Final Fantasy character!

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
My prediction here is that Clive (and maybe other characters? not sure if anyone else is even playable) is going to be able to equip multiple eikons at once, master their abilities the same way characters master abilities in FFV, and then equip them onto different action buttons. Having not played DMC, I can't speak to how it works there, but it may well be closer to Dragon's Dogma in style.

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
How long do you folks think the time gap is for when Clive gets older?

It would be so neat if that moment happened earlier in the game. Or the halfway mark.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing as earlier speculated that the prologue of the game will be as young Clive and the main thrust of the game as an adult. And probably we won't get any team members until post-time skip, which could promise an older cast of characters!

Xenoneo

Jan 31, 2018
Rosaria
Phoenix (Joshua), Dark summon Ifrit (not Clive but adult Clive)

Sanbreque
Leviathan, Dark summon Shiva (Jill)

The Iron Kingdom controls Drake's Breath trying to kill its Dominant Joshua. Sanbreque doesn't have their Dominant and blessing of the mother crystal because of Blight, they find about the Dark summons and the one connected to them is in Rosaria. The Iron Kingdom and Sanbreque invade Rosaria together.

Adult Clive has come from a time-delayed world with Dark summons for some reason, like to take back Jill who is a Dark summon Dominant of the other world, somehow he turns into Ifrit that night, uncontrollably trying to kill Joshua. Probably retake his control, not killing Joshua. now Clive and adult Clive want to kill a specific person.

Last edited:

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017

It would be so neat if that moment happened earlier in the game. Or the halfway mark.
Based on the story details here, Clive is on a quest of revenge, so probably the time skip happens very early in the story, otherwise there will be no inciting incident for him to go off in a journey. I reckon no more than ten hours as young Clive.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I'm feeling it happening early (I don't think they'd make it so obvious now if it was late), and I'm gonna say a nice round ten years.

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

I feel like it'll be after the events we see in the trailer. Sure we get some clips of him older but I feel the first part of the game will be younger Clive and then that series of events leads him out into the world. Hopefully we get a pretty long intro period of young Clive tho

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to see the other Eikon's Jinchūrikis.

Also, the thread is moving a lot faster than I can keep up with, so forgive me if it's been brought up, but if I am following the trailer it looks to me like Clive is killed protecting Joshua who then summons pheonix and brings him back to life?

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
Good finally some info. Good to see there are orcs and beastmen, sounds like multiple races in the game.
Only thing i am worried about is Eikons (probably summons) are bound to one person, that means probably no multiple summons per character or a multitude of summons or secret summons. The lack of summons bothered me in FFXV.

Idk if that's true. They called Ifrit a Dark Eikon so that could imply multiple Eikons that live independently of a dominant or a kingdom

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
If the phoenix dominant becomes the archduke of rosaria by tradition, does that mean Clive's dad can summon phoenix too? Maybe they need to pass it on so the bloodline remains in charge of the kingdom, kinda shady because gaining that power is kinda random if that's the case.
From one day to another your dinasty could lose its royal status because some random peasant has inherited phoenix's power.

Yeah I'm thinking the same. I'm intrigued as to how the Dominant power works. Does it pass on when they die and awaken in a random person, Attack on Titan style? Or do they have some influence as to who it passes to via some sort of magick/interaction with the crystals, perhaps. The info about the Ironborn (sorry, Ironblood, heh) says that any dominant 'unlucky enough' to be born there is executed, which gives the impression it's random. But then like you say, what happens if a random peasant's baby inherits it?

Loving the lore and theorycrafting, I've missed this run up to a new FF lol