• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final Fantasy XVI releasing in 2022 - Will it happen?

• Yes it will release before the year's end

Votes: 179 48.0%
  • No, it will be delayed into 2023

Votes: 194 52.0%

• Total voters

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
More importantly: demo announcement with the next trailer in spring? 🤔

A shadowdrop would be amazing, but it ain't happening.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
2022. Yoshi-P is pretty strict with his timeline and already stated covid delayed everything for 6 months. Spring re-reveal, late Q4 release.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
We really shouldn't have the "YoshiP said they'll show it when it close to release so it'll be this year then" line of thinking imo.

YoshiP also said we'll get more info in 2021 but the reality of game development (especially in Covid times) didn't workout how they wanted it to.

I still think this is most likely a 2022 release, but we shouldn't hang on to what YoshiP said as an off-comment during a XIV stream.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
There's absolutely no way that FFVIIR2 will come out in 2023 or 2024.
That's just completely pessimistic. SE has relied on Eidos Montreal for help before, as well as Crystal. They have for sure used their help for the development of the new game, especially in the motion capture department. I refuse to believe that is not the case, especially knowing the context surrounding the development of the first game. Furthermore, they indicated in the past six months that development was going smoothly.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
If it is Fall 2022 and comes out alongside Breath of the Wild 2, Starfield and GoW Ragnarök... My wallet won't be happy.

I can see this slipping into Q1 2023 to close out the fiscal year without clogging up the release schedule.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
2023. Square can cruise on Forspoken and FFXIV subs until then. Have they even committed to 2022 for release? I wouldn't even call it a delay.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They got pushed back due to having no infrastructure to develop in that environment. As far as we know they have the setup for it now so it *shouldnt* happen again.

Unless everything just gets way worse. Which is certainly a possibility.

It wasn't that they had no infrastructure but covid 19 problems with the Tokyo office leading to late or outright cancellation of deliverables by outsource partners.

Even if things get worse, their office shouldn't have problems handling it, given that they offer permanent work from home as an option for employees now, regardless of the pandemic situation. Which should mean they have the means to let employees transist to WFH when necessary without the initial problems they had last year.

www.jp.square-enix.com

Square Enix to make work from home permanent as of December 1 -Mostly home-based hybrid model to strike balancex between flexibility and manageability- | SQUARE ENIX

Tokyo, Japan (November 25, 2020) - Square Enix CO., LTD. (headquarters: Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo; President and Representative Director Yosuke Matsuda; here...

2023. Square can cruise on Forspoken and FFXIV subs until then. Have they even committed to 2022 for release? I wouldn't even call it a delay.

They have not committed to any release year or date but Yoshida just said they had to push back the release by 6 months. He previously also said he would like to reveal the game again closer to release date, rather than have a drawn out marketing. He wants a trailer that will make people really want the game I guess, rather than just hoping to see more.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
More than likely this year. I doubt they will spend an entire year polishing the game.

I will be planning my holiday around the game.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, I'd say late 2022 is definitely possible and I'm basing that on literally only my hopes and dreams.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
They're going to announce a release date for late 2022, then it'll get delayed into early 2023.

Oh my goodness I can't wait to quote this post in November's delay announcement thread.

Oct 29, 2017
This is square-enix baby!, I'm expecting more delays and a 2025 release date that then extends to 2026!

JK, hopefully we see some really good gameplay/graphics when they show it next time, the first time they showed it, looked like a PS4 Game, FFVII remake looked a gen ahead.