• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Versus XIII was supposed to also have blood?

E4AYn72.png

Gezech

Oct 28, 2017
I always have felt some older FF titles would be M-rated if they had the graphical fidelity of XVI. Especially VI, VII (which was censored in its Remake) and Tactics. The shit they got away with because of shitty graphics is unreal.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I remember when Versus XIII was supposed to also have blood?

E4AYn72.png

Versus XIII also had themes like devil worshipping. That stuff got cut because execs were like nope, we can't have that in Final Fantasy, so eventually you got a boy band on a road trip.

It's pretty amazing that FF16 is going against pretty much everything that SE execs demand in these games.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Versus XIII also had themes like devil worshipping. That stuff got cut because execs were like nope, we can't have that in Final Fantasy, so eventually you got a boy band on a road trip.

It's pretty amazing that FF16 is going against pretty much everything that SE execs demand in these games.
I imagine Yoshi-P has a lot of freedom at SE after what he did with XIV

Rods

May 1, 2020
Well, Dragon Quest won't go M rated at least.

XV was in development for almost a decade - they needed a T rating to maximise profits.

Nope.

VII Remake has mass-market mainstream appeal that far exceeds the next mainline entry though - it's like a Marvel or Star Wars blockbuster. It's understandable they'd want to chase that T rating to maximise sales there.

Meanwhile this is something fresh at last, and they're allowing the creative teams freedom from age-rating demands with the content, seemingly.
I don't buy that, most of the top games in term of sales that are non nintendo are M rating.
GTA, Red dead 2, Witcher 3, Call of duty series, Skyrim, The last of us 1.
T rating would only help with sales if they release it on the switch.

Last edited:

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This is not a confirmation in the slightest.... it's provisional guys. But I can see it happening 90%

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, but still some good shit.

I wonder what they'll put in the game beyond blood (even the MC gets all bloody in combat, so it's not just cutscenes). The world could be very bleak.
they'll have a depressed barber and tailor as a side quest where nobody wants to buy overly designed clothing or get their hairs like a fucking peacock and they don't know what to do anymore. The lead will give them a little hope with his hair, but he'll walk away ultimately in the final betrayal.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
M rated Final Fantasy lets gooo

Hope they don't go overboard with profanity like VII Remake

"I AIN'T GOT NOTHING FOR PUNK ASS BITCH LIKE YOU"

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Type-0 doesn't count as a real Final Fantasy. If the rating sticks on release, this will be the first mature rated FF. Interesting and exciting.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Seeing how much they could push and got away with T rating in FFXIV, I'm both afraid and excited at what they can pull with an actual M/PEGI 18 game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm so used to "rated M/pegi 18" i never realized it was a peculiarity with FF. though i did notice writing (eng localization at least) in FF7R wasn't watered down, which was kind of surprising ... series has trended relatively "PG-13" since FF7

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Not surprising given that trailer, makes me think this is next year and not 2022.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking there will be a graphic public execution or something ---- being medieval and all.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They propably realized that Witcher III had no problem in selling a lot even though it was a M rated game.

Also, FF XIV has blood in some key scenes.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Only Type-0 has ever gotten a M rating mostly because of blood, violence, military plot, and the fact you can spy on one of your instructors changing. I think FFXVI wont be that silly. It will definitely have blood, gore, violence, as we saw in the trailer but it will probably also have uncomfortable themes. Maybe the main character will have a romance he struggles with kind of like how in Xenogears Fei and Elly are initially on opposite sides but eventually Fei overcomes that and you find out they were always soulmates throughout the various themes of the game. If we can get that level of romance then i'd be really happy. But anything is better than Noctis and Luna exchanging letters to eachother... sure that's pretty romantic but her total screen time with him is probably less than 5 min.

edit: I hope if it is rated M that Nomura can challenge himself in the next few parts of Remake and make them dark like the original FFVII.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I just watched the JP trailer on SE's stream and got so much more hyped than at Sony's reveal. Music is on point.

Hope the story is done well, Type-O was M but was one of the worst FF experiences I had. Nevertheless can't wait for the PS5 launch now.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Nope. Lack of blood ruined one of the best scenes form the original game. Well actually they made it worst but that's a different story.

I LOVE the Remake. But that scene without blood made me really sad. Completly ruined it.

You see a dudes body explode into blood as it gets crushed by a rock in the trailer, so its not really a surprise it could get the M rating on just Blood alone.

What would be really surprising is if it has something like "A Night under the Highwind" only instead of cutting to morning we get a Visual Works sex scene.

Visual Works sex scene? Hmmm *thinks back to Tidus and Yuna*

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is what Tactics would have gotten if it'd come out now in 3D graphics.

I welcome it.

And to think that just a few months ago 7 Remake couldn't even pull bloodstains on the floor lol

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'll never understand how you can kill literal armies in games and be totally fine but a bit of blood is automatically PEGI 18.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that games change provisional ratings, for example Persona 5 Royal went from 18 to 16

persona-5-royal-box-art-ps4-india-steelbook-1024x576.jpg

51P6k7vBoIL._AC_SY400_.jpg

At this point I'm fairly certain they just ascribe the rating depending on what the trailer implies. So, dude being squished by rocks could be an 18 if they show much more of that, or if the blood is a regular occurence. Better to be safe than sorry, sort of thing.

I wouldn't jump to "all the swears and sex"