• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I don't think these two picture have been posted yet here
52118076586_618ca49061_k.jpg

52118583565_bcb6731a73_k.jpg

remember when people said this could hit PS4? yeah, I doubt that a bit.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lightning will never be forgotten, because she will be the last playable female character in the series

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
HUD is super bad. All i could think of is that it reminded me of a fighting game.

And there is a reason. Visually easier to gauge whatever you are looking at.

I guess they will let us custom for people who want a more muted HUD with the greys and brown for that PS3 era nostalgia 😉

Joke aside, 1 year of "polishing"!, it's now or never to be vocal about stuffs you didn't like and go on Twitter share your thoughts. I'm sure the team will hear the community (unless they don't... GGST still having a ugly as HUD 🤣).

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Nope!
As I was saying in the general thread, none of the characters I saw were in :( given what we now see of combat, i only expect them to appear as occasional allies (as they are pretty big characters).
That's pretty much it, i knew the tone they are going with but everyone and their mother could deduce it so it's non-info lol
Gotcha, cheers!

I'm bracing for impact, but it'd be cool if they tagged along for a good while instead of just a few missions. Let's see! There's potential, what with Benedikta (blonde lady), Hugo (big boy) and Jill. Hopefully the ones you saw too if their designs are cool!

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
first FF game in god knows how long I can say I'm actually hyped for god DAMN that looked good
Same.

I think the last FF I bought was FFX.

I think the production values and strong SP story are tickling my Sony 1st party SP stuff that I love and this just is calling my name. I'm definitely getting this day1. This shit looks bombastic as all hell.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am once again requesting that Alexander show up in a Final Fantasy game, it's been too long.(I have no idea if he's in FF14)

He is. he has a raid series/story dedicated to him and one of the toughest/biggest boss fights in the game is dedicated to him.

But I agree. More Alexander.

double_heist

Nov 19, 2019
Yeah.

I totally understand PREFERRING a certain style (full turn based, ATB, MMO style, full action etc) but to act like FF hasn't constantly changed up its battle mechanics over it's life is silly. "being able to change the class of my characters!? Absurd!" "skills through levelling up and not just bought from a shop! How dare!" "Turns happening when I haven't made my choice yet! hwgeuagysgdjkay!"

If they want SE titles that are still turn based, then they should stick to Dragon Quest instead. That one has been consistent for decades now.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The visuals remind me of that Project Awakening trailer. I mean they are probably even better than that, but it is great to see scale and also great asset quality. Environments have nice geometry on the terrain. HUGE upgrade.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
It looks good, but I think the trailer direction needed work. Way too much flash in a short amount of time, it would've been nice to seen some slower story interactions to flesh out the characters a bit more.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Summons is the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear Final Fantasy. Happy to see that they are great in this new entry. Very hyped!

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that the game is already playable from start to finish a full year before release gives me so much confidence. It feels like most of the last few Final Fantasies have all been scrambling to hit a release date and it shows.

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
This looks incredible but I hope we have an option to turn off most of that HUD/damage numbers

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think there might be a party, just not a (mostly) playable one. For one, you're controlling Phoenix in the first Phoenix Ifrit fight. Then the Shiva diamond dust scene shows the same Clive combat UI, but targeting a "Liquid Flame", which could mean it's a party member summon attack.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
All action and seemingly no party would be a disappointment. I can live with it I guess. Also a lot of what they've shown of the environments, structures, etc., looks kind of overly grounded and realistic. Hopefully there is more variety to come in that regard.

twistedbasis

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
All these screenshots with just clive, by himself, no one else around, are just completely unexciting to me. What a waste of potential if you're all alone the entire time.

There's more to FF than gameplay. These trailers haven't convinced me why I should care about this universe nor are there other characters that we've seen that I care about either. 1v1 fights with 2 health-bars along the top of the screen isn't my definition of hype or motivation to play for dozens of hours.

A very weak showing. Disappointed.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
No party is such a big disappointment. Just don't even bother calling it FF at this point.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
vW2H32K.gif

He did an air grab that is used to stun the coeurl then changed to phoenix mode as a finisher

this is DMC business lol

HBHB

Nov 21, 2017
This was freaking amazing, one of the best trailers in series if not the best, but oh god at that release window, my worst case scenario was March yet ...

ket

Jul 27, 2018
The blog post definitely sounds like there isn't going to be a party.

Lame! This makes this game go from a must-buy to a wait & see for me

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Garuda knock-up into Titan finisher. If we're sacrificing a party for combat this clean then it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. DMC eat your heart out.
It really is a bit of a DMC system. With different summon abilities replacing different weapons/styles.

It looks like you can only "equip" three at a time on Clive? We see him with three different Eikons equipped later on (Shiva, Odin, Ramuh at 1:06).

Here's some copium speculation for people who want a party:

9 eikons, 3 can be "equipped" at a time, 3 main characters revealed on the website (Clive, Jill, Joshua). That would give room for three eikons for each character. Maybe by the endgame each character can have their own "Eikon Build" and you can swap between the active characters?

I still think no party is more likely at this point tho

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
I just want a female character playable in a mainline FF game again. FF7R doesn't count because its not like they could get away with not including Tifa or Aerith.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Garuda knock-up into Titan finisher. If we're sacrificing a party for combat this crispy then it's a sacrifice worth making. Late game combat with all the summons is going to be crazy.
I'd be alright with DMC level combat being in a pretty game like this. Nothing against DMC5 but its environments are mid, having a nice world to explore and a story that is definitly at least going to be good is gonna be great for me.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
There's some stuff here for the party hopers.

For one, there's a scene where Diamond Dust is used on an enemy while Clive does not have Shiva equipped. Two, there's a scene where Shiva is summoned vs Liquid Flame and uses Diamond Dust in a grand animation while Clive's HP bar is present AND he doesn't have Shiva equipped. Shiva has long been speculated to be Jill's dominant (or confirmed). In other scenes where summons are present, Clive's HP bar is replaced by the summon itself.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I think there might be a party, just not a (mostly) playable one. For one, you're controlling Phoenix in the first Phoenix Ifrit fight. Then the Shiva diamond dust scene shows the same Clive combat UI, but targeting a "Liquid Flame", which could mean it's a party member summon attack.

Clive will be the main character BUT the other dominats will play a big role you will see and get there perspective a lot it's going to be a "party" so to speak narratively but you will only play Clive and other characters in summon form. It's so obvious this is what they are going for.