• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I keep saying this game has been in development for a while and Square Enix needs a game for their next fiscal year, but people keep on cleverly saying "lol we'll play this in 2025"

I 100% believe that they've been aiming this game for Q4 2021. It might end up in Q1 2022 because of covid-19 and stuff but it's not going to be a title we have to wait years and years to see.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The FFXIV team turned around FFXIV 1.0 to 2.0 in 2 years.
I would not be surprised if they took it as a challenge to make a mainline FF game in a similar period of time.

I mean you could argue that while some people are disappointed by the graphics, they do seem more achievable than what S-E normally do.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I think they're just assuming more than being the voice of official confirmation... but I would agree. It might be naive but I really do think it'll come sooner than we might think.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I am personally expecting 2021 (barring any further covid delays) and 7 Part 2 for 2023. New FF every two years is my guess.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I could see late 2021 with a possible ultimately COVID-caused delay to 2022. The team in charge of it has a good track record with hitting release windows, and all signs point to pre-production on the project potentially starting as soon as 2015, with full production going ahead in April 2019.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I keep saying this game has been in development for a while and Square Enix needs a game for their next fiscal year, but people keep on cleverly saying "lol we'll play this in 2025"

I 100% believe that they've been aiming this game for Q4 2021. It might end up in Q1 2022 because of covid-19 and stuff but it's not going to be a title we have to wait years and years to see.

I'll gladly be wrong on the 2025 joke, game looks awesome.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
This is big news. The first year of PS5 is looking so cool at the moment. A part of me knows that some of these games will get delayed to 2022, but I want to believe all of them will come out next year!

Agni

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
I would love this because it'd mean FF17 could happen next generation. If PS5 really only gets FF7-2 and XVI then I'll be disappointed. Remake was crap and XVI looks terrible already. I have no interest in these basically.

Need another team to show a new FF vision in a few years so I have something to look forward to. Hopefully with some inspiration from Africa and South Asia rather than this generic Western fantasy crap.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Insert generic joke about XVI taking decades to release here.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about 2021 but I also wouldn't be surprised. Yoshi P knows how to steer a ship and I'm pretty confident it won't be plagued with delays and development hell like a lot of the recent FF games.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017

That's my thinking too. They need a big title for 2021 and I don't see Project A being that. I also think with Yoshi helming this that development has been much smoother and his team are using development tools that they already use for 14. Plus, ShB was developed in less time than this game must have been and that game is easuly 40 hours alrdy.

Nov 23, 2017
It'd be great as long as it's ready. I don't want another XV debacle. if it's actually ready for 2021 then i'm in. It'll be great to play another FF while I'm waiting for VIIR2

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it launches in 2021, is it going to be worth playing in 2021? After FFXV I'm not going to get my hopes up.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Big games get delayed frequently, there's no way all of this makes it in 2021.

That said it's a good thing they are aiming for it at least, hopefully most of this will be out by 2022.

Dec 15, 2017
How will this impact FFVII remake? In theory the PC port of part 1 should be released next year. What about part 2? FF is dead to me. The best thing they could do is continue with FFVII remake and then remake VI

Oct 27, 2017
It does look a lot further on than we usually see from the first showing of a Final Fantasy game. It tends to be mock-up footage and/or made-for-the-trailer cutscenes, and this looks to have in-game cutscenes and actual functional gameplay (albeit with no HUD and from cinematic angles).

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Dog if all the shit slated actually releases in 2021 that's 2017 Nintendo levels of "Goddamn I can't hold all these games." Luckily I'd bet money at least 2 GoW, Horizon, and FFXVI get delayed.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
How will this impact FFVII remake? In theory the PC port of part 1 should be released next year. What about part 2? FF is dead to me. The best thing they could do is continue with FFVII remake and then remake VI
Square Enix has multiple teams on FF. The trailer opens by saying that this is a BD3 project (as we all expected). That's not the team that's handling the FFVII remakes.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Fine with them targeting 2021 for FFXVI / God of War and not gonna be surprised/upset if they get pushed to 2022. That's just the reality of game development during COVID.

Everyone should just temper their expectations now, PS5 is already shaping up to have a solid first year without em.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for letting me know.

13-ff9llu1-012.jpg

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely nothing to base this comment on, but I can't imagine they'd release FFXIV's new expansion and FFXVI in the same year, especially when YoshiP is producing one, and directing another.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
This being the XIV team I can actually believe it. Another trailer in a few months and one more at Jump Festa in December?

Though this game looking like they might be aiming for their first M rating if they keep up the level of bloodshed.

edit: just saw edit. nvm anything I said.

dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly down for a lowkey Final Fantasy... SE has always been ambitious and that is wonderful on them- it's their ambition that got them to take FFVII to the moon, but somthing low key, story focused would be welcome.

This is really the most low key announcement I've felt since the XIV 1.0 trailer. Things may have been different in a non-covid world, but the trailer which really focused on narrative and story gave me hope.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a mistake. Lots of website reported the same because Yoshida said we'd get more info in 2021.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
I personally will not expect this before 2023 with SE's track record. But I guess with the 'gameplay' they showed, it might be further along than just a logo/cgi reveal.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be flat out ASTONISHED if this made 2021

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
We should have had more than a logo reveal for GOW2 if it is to release next year.

idk even if they're targeting fall 2021, they didn't need to show anything more than a logo tease. sony has a lot of time before they should feel any pressure to show off late 2021 games. next showcase will have Horizon and GT7 I bet, then after they'll show us God of War for the first time

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I have absolutely nothing to base this comment on, but I can't imagine they'd release FFXIV's new expansion and FFXVI in the same year, especially when YoshiP is producing one, and directing another.

If I had to guess I'd say that FFXIV 6.0 is September 2021 and FFXVI ends up releasing in March 2022, so ~6 months apart. It's not going to miss their next fiscal year, though.

I don't think they'll announce a date until they're reasonably confident that they can hit it. So we'll probably never really know if it was ever planned for 2021 or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.