• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
How has it been poor? We are chomping at the bit waiting for it. It's got everyone in anticipation mode with every show it can be at.

By not being specific or transparent about when the game will be shown. They promised an update last year and waited until the last minute to say that the update will be delayed to spring. We're entering summer and they still haven't given a specific date for the update.

All this "FF16 at SOP!!!!" speculation, which feels like it's happened at least 5 or 6 other times, is being caused by SE being so weird about giving basic info about a promised update.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
By not being specific or transparent about when the game will be shown. They promised an update last year and waited until the last minute to say that the update will be delayed to spring. We're entering summer and they still haven't given a specific date for the update.

All this "FF16 at SOP!!!!" speculation, which feels like it's happened at least 5 or 6 other times, is being caused by SE being so weird about giving basic info about a promised update.

Well sure, I guess to me us anticipating it constantly is not being poor at all. They have achieved what marketing teams want. It is poor by us wanting to know, but ultimately we are just generating our own free advertising for the game. It's kind of smart in a way.

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019
So nice of Sony to announce XVI tonight AND give everyone a free copy for the midnight release later the same day 🤡

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Imagine if SE just...gave a specific date for the spring update instead of being vague? They handled this stuff so poorly.

Agreed. They once again showed the game too soon really(understandable that things got delayed due to covid, however), but that wouldn't be much of an issue if this industry didn't have a weird obsession with keeping everything a secret for no real reason.

How has it been poor? We are chomping at the bit waiting for it. It's got everyone in anticipation mode with every show it can be at.

Well sure, I guess to me us anticipating it constantly is not being poor at all. They have achieved what marketing teams want. It is poor by us wanting to know, but ultimately we are just generating our own free advertising for the game. It's kind of smart in a way.

This isn't some genius marketing trick, it's a new entry in one of the most beloved, longest running game series ever. FF15 had pre-release hype and everyone excited for nearly a decade, doesn't really mean it was a good period, in fact it was fucking dire.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They promised an update last year and delayed it to spring. I think they have more control over the marketing than you say.
Sure, but we all still anticipated it to show up at a state of play or a Playstation Showcase, still do, and Square doesn't decide when Sony has those.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Imagine if SE just...gave a specific date for the spring update instead of being vague? They handled this stuff so poorly.

From a PR perspective people are super hungry for news so it works. And Sony has PR rights as they couldnt specify why the trailer wasnt shown yet in Investor Meeting etc.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Transcending history and the world
A tale of clowns and crushed hope
Eternally told
iu

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I really hope the meltdowns don't get too dramatic if its not there today. It's very likely we're seeing it this month no matter what happens tonight.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the meltdowns don't get too dramatic if its not there today. It's very likely we're seeing it this month no matter what happens tonight.

100%. Exactly How I feel. We're gonna see it soon either way. Unless Yoshi-P comes out and says the next showcase is delayed again, which I highly doubt , it's gonna be shown again very soon. So whatever 🤷‍♂️ I'm honestly just enjoying the clowning that's going on lol

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
100%. Exactly How I feel. We're gonna see it soon either way. Unless Yoshi-P comes out and says the next showcase is delayed again, which I highly doubt , it's gonna be shown again very soon. So whatever 🤷‍♂️ I'm honestly just enjoying the clowning that's going on lol
Yeah. This very much feels like the Elden Ring marketing strategy, lol. Just let the fanbase go nuts with speculation for a year or two, let their constant hype/clownery cycles become a meme, and then release pretty regular updates of information not too terribly far from release.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I'd be happy just to see more of it. Would be super happy if we see the world more and how the cities work.

I want to see more characters to get a sense of the game if its a solo adventure or party based.

Release date is cherry on top for me.

Expecting meltdowns regardless of what is shown. Lol

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I, for one can't wait to see and meet more clowns and welcome them into my city.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Main things for me to see is:

Release date
Combat gameplay (party system or lack of by extension)
Cities and dungeons
Story stuff
Sick enemy designs

I will be be easily pleased nevertheless

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling confident today is the day. I haven't had this type of feeling we were getting something since that State of Play where we got Star Ocean instead.

Could always be wrong of course but I just feel confident going into this that this is the one.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I feel 50/50 on the chance of it being shown during the SOP later today.
This next showing was delayed, and it's been a long time since the first trailer do it really feels like the time to show the game and give a release date. Really I just want to know if there is a party and when-ish it's releasing!!

I think we will see it by the end of June if not today though.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Was about to say. I'm not 100% clued up on gaming news all the time but I didn't so much as see any rumblings on Twitter or forums about the Yuffie DLC. Caught me massively off guard.

Yeah, the rumours floating around were about an "All Dressed Up" Tifa DLC covering what happened with her and Barrett between the Airbuster fight and Tifa meeting up with Cloud and Aerith in Wall Market. Then bam, surprise Yuffie DLC (which did give small glimpses into some of that stuff, actually).

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the rumours floating around were about an "All Dressed Up" Tifa DLC covering what happened with her and Barrett between the Airbuster fight and Tifa meeting up with Cloud and Aerith in Wall Market. Then bam, surprise Yuffie DLC (which did give small glimpses into some of that stuff, actually).

It just shows no one really knows what's up at SE.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
The collective disappointment when that Square Enix logo pops up and we get the next Forspoken or Valkyrie Elysium update

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It just shows no one really knows what's up at SE.
FF XVI is a total mystery, both now (not a single leak!) and before its reveal. We knew it was CBU3's next game mostly down to hiring and logic, but that was it.

The closest thing was a few people saying it'd be at the PS5 stuff, but to my recollection nobody knew the setting, protagonist...

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
FF XVI is a total mystery, both now (not a single leak!) and before its reveal. We knew it was CBU3's next game mostly down to hiring and logic, but that was it.

The closest thing was a few people saying it'd be at the PS5 stuff, but to my recollection nobody knew the setting, protagonist...

Well soon the veil will lift on some of it, haha.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone mention this a few pages back but what insiders have hinted that it's gonna be there? I only saw NateDrake.

Jhonny

Jan 23, 2019
If it's not here today, easy rally of my spirit as the train will restart for the Keighley SGF key note next Friday. If it is here today… :)

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Grubb said he doesn't know anything about the SoP. Just expects a "pretty good show."

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Today, at this moment..Do you want:

A 60 second teaser with information of a showcase in late June/July?

OR

A 4 minute trailer that shows cutscenes and gameplay but no information after other than the year or window?

Risev

Oct 27, 2017

OR

A 4 minute trailer that shows cutscenes and gameplay but no information after other than the year or window?
I'd take a logo screen with Soken music playing over it. Anything extra is a blessing.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019

OR

I'd be cool with a 60 to 90 second trailer confirming a showcase later this summer. Ultimately, I want the showcase more than both options...

Status
Not open for further replies.