• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
Dont forget those Famitsu(Dengeki?) year end creator interviews where they give messages about their hopes for the coming year.

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
also, never understood this "cant market more than one game at a time" thing that some people on this site have. Why not?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I doubt FF XVI will be the better looking game from a technical standpoint. Forspoken has a more "next-gen" feel so far despite some rough stuff (surely to be improved upon; the same can be said of FF XVI's lighting, shaders...).

Now, I think I'll like FF XVI's art direction way more. I just need some of that colour and more interesting architecture from the concept art compared to the trailer.

And character designs more in line with older Clive.
also, never understood this "cant market more than one game at a time" thing that some people on this site have. Why not?
Sadly, S-E has a history of this (even stating such), so people might be on the money.

I still think that marketing two admittedly similar games (and don't think there's that much overlap in this case beyond them being AAA action RPG titles) isn't a big deal as long as you let them both breath enough, especially when releasing them.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I definitely think they are trying not to have their big RPG releases stomp on each other (Endwalker, Forspoken, and FFXVI).

I never believed for a second any of the speculation on Forspoken being Q1 and FFXVI being Q2. In large part, they're chasing an overlapping audience. XVI is Holiday 2022 at the earliest, but I really expect to see it in Q1 2023.
Speaking of this, I am shocked at the amount of folks that think Sony will release God of War in april or may when Horizon Forbidden West is late february. These games need a bit more distance between each other.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Speaking of this, I am shocked at the amount of folks that think Sony will release God of War in april or may when Horizon Forbidden West is late february. These games need a bit more distance between each other.

TLOU2 released in June. Ghost of Tsushima released in July. They both sold gangbusters. That situation may have been due to TLOU2's sudden delay, but it proved that these huge first-party games can release 6-7 weeks apart and be perfectly fine.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The best way to kill sales for something unproven like Forspoken is to place FFXVI a month after it. Same with SoP:FFO. Two brand new forays for S-E, and easily both will be outsold by FFXVI if they end up close in release date.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
although I feel sad we have no XVI news, it just doesn't feel too painful cuz of Endwalker. what a top tier JRPG it has shaped up to be. *chef's kiss*

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
although I feel sad we have no XVI news, it just doesn't feel too painful cuz of Endwalker. what a top tier JRPG it has shaped up to be. *chef's kiss*

The GOAT tbh. Thought this post really captured what makes all of XIV so good.

FGBdYs4VQAImD_J

It's at the very least a great way to kill time if you're gonna be waiting on something for a few months, just saying~

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Last edited:

Munba

Oct 27, 2017
I think XVI will look better than Forspoken and next trailer more polished for sure. I think XVI has a bigger budget though.
And first trailer combat animations of XVI seems already on par with the other one imo.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I doubt FF XVI will be the better looking game from a technical standpoint. Forspoken has a more "next-gen" feel so far despite some rough stuff (surely to be improved upon; the same can be said of FF XVI's lighting, shaders...).

Now, I think I'll like FF XVI's art direction way more. I just need some of that colour and more interesting architecture from the concept art compared to the trailer.
I'm still not even convinced it's a next gen title. It was even revealed as a "PlayStation console exclusive" and they've never clarified whether or not it's coming to PS4 as well as PS5, so I think they might have deliberately left that door open for now. Character models and environments in the trailer were nothing that couldn't be feasibly accomplished as a cross-gen title. I'd say many PS4 games look better, even RPGs with huge open worlds (Horizon Zero Dawn for example). There were a lot of cross-gen red flags, like Clive's chainmail being a very flat texture below, and a lot of obvious polys on the character model, which are poly savings that definitely aren't necessary next gen (look at Ratchet's poly count and clothing details, even on random NPCs):

Final-Fantasy-XIV-Screenshot-018.jpg

It's a character model completely on par with Noctis', just with better IQ thanks to 4k as standard for PS5.
Final-Fantasy-XV-Noctis.jpg

And yes, I know old Clive looks better:
Final-Fantasy-XIV-Screenshot-09.jpg

But I'll raise you old Noctis:
4e3957749efcf7e3ccb15a590e902a31.png

XV was still a beautifully showcased game, and nothing from that XVI trailer was a generational leap over this imo:
original.jpg

I think the next trailer will either be a huge step up visually with some noticeable overhauls to character models and environment geometry, and fully confirmed as PS5 and next gen exclusive. Or it will look mostly the same where polys/geometry is concerned, with some big shader/lighting improvements showcasing the PS5 version, but be announced as cross-gen.

Of course it's also possible that Square are struggling to step up their game for next gen, or just aren't concerned much with visuals, but Forspoken shows they can push their tech forwards, and FF games have always proudly pushed visuals to the brink in the past. So this would be a big change in priority for Square and this franchise.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
I'm still not even convinced it's a next gen title. It was even revealed as a "PlayStation console exclusive" and they've never clarified whether or not it's coming to PS4 as well as PS5, so I think they might have deliberately left that door open for now. Character models and environments in the trailer were nothing that couldn't be feasibly accomplished as a cross-gen title. I'd say many PS4 games look better, even RPGs with huge open worlds (Horizon Zero Dawn for example). There were a lot of cross-gen red flags, like Clive's chainmail being a very flat texture below, and a lot of obvious polys on the character model, which are poly savings that definitely aren't necessary next gen (look at Ratchet's poly count and clothing details, even on random NPCs):

It's a character model completely on par with Noctis', just with better IQ thanks to 4k as standard for PS5.

XV was still a beautifully showcased game, and nothing from that XVI trailer was a generational leap over this imo:
original.jpg

I think the next trailer will either be a huge step up visually with some noticeable overhauls to character models and environment geometry, and fully confirmed as PS5 and next gen exclusive. Or it will look mostly the same where polys/geometry is concerned, with some big shader/lighting improvements showcasing the PS5 version, but be announced as cross-gen.

Of course it's also possible that Square are struggling to step up their game for next gen, or just aren't concerned much with visuals, but Forspoken shows they can push their tech forwards, and FF games have always proudly pushed visuals to the brink in the past. So this would be a big change in priority for Square and this franchise.
Possible with the action focus they are really making sure it is solid 60fps instead of pushing 30fps crazy 4k visuals but I'm guessing they are doing the graphics polishes once the gameplay is done

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
Possible with the action focus they are really making sure it is solid 60fps instead of pushing 30fps crazy 4k visuals but I'm guessing they are doing the graphics polishes once the gameplay is done

Nah I don't believe this game is a PS5 only exclusive. I'm pretty sure it is cross-gen. Hell Matsuda said it in a itw February 2020 (if i recall correctly) that all S-E games in development were PS4/5 (except for Forspoken). And obviously, among the games in development was FF16.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
The GOAT tbh. Thought this post really captured what makes all of XIV so good.

It's at the very least a great way to kill time if you're gonna be waiting on something for a few months, just saying~
If only ff14 had an offline version like the future dq offline and also a portable switch version..
As It Is It Is too demanding for me...

Back on tipic i still believe in crossgen for ff16,
Unless Jp market Sales are unworthy of course

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Traversal animations aside, Forspoken isn't really a high bar for XVI (or any current gen only game tbh). I don't know why some of you think XVI won't look better than Forspoken if it is indeed current gen only.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018

original.jpg

What I'm gonna say will sound like cope or whatever, but I do believe Yoshida when he says that they could barely do any polishing for the game for the first trailer and that he really didn't want to show some CG or fake gameplay trailer. I do expect a significant improvement (not to the point where this is a contender of best-looking game of the gen so far or even the year it releases in, mind you).

I think it's mostly the very flat lighting at times, beyond some textures, sure, that give off a more outdated look, as the IQ is really clean and VFX and animations look fantastic (facial animations not so much, but that seems like polishing you do at the last stages and they did avoid showing characters speaking). As in, shaders and lighting can drastically change how a game looks, as I think can be seen in this KoF XIV mod:
NYaXffo.png

In any case, I see what you mean with XV, that game's still a looker even today, even if there are a few important areas XVI comes out on top and I'd be surprised if the final release isn't generally better looking. Although, I see older Clive's model to be more comparable to Integrade's Cloud than Noctis, even if all three are on the same overall level. Disagree about Horizon, though! I'm not gonna say that game's not great looking, but I think it's overrated as a visual showcase. Seeing people compare it to RDR2 or other titles was always weird to me. Forbidden West looks insanely beautiful, though.

In any case, even if the game is improved significantly, it's clearly not aiming for some nigh unattainable visual fidelity, which I'm fine with.
If I remember correctly this is a bullshot. Correct me if I am wrong of course.
I remember something among those lines too, although I guess that the game can look like that (maybe better?) on PC now.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
the strangers of paradise account dropping new lore every week meanwhile we barely know about the premise of ff16 lol

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
XIV is the most Final Fantasy-ass Final Fantasy game to release in quite a while, so I'm not too concerned about the graphic quality of XVI. Give me a good story and well written characters, a well built world and some nice music over pretty visuals.

Although I do think XVI will look pretty good, that last trailer is over a year old now.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
What I'm gonna say will sound like cope or whatever, but I do believe Yoshida when he says that they could barely do any polishing for the game for the first trailer and that he really didn't want to show some CG or fake gameplay trailer. I do expect a significant improvement (not to the point where this is a contender of best-looking game of the gen so far or even the year it releases in, mind you).

I think it's mostly the very flat lighting at times, beyond some textures, sure, that give off a more outdated look, as the IQ is really clean and VFX and animations look fantastic (facial animations not so much, but that seems like polishing you do at the last stages and they did avoid showing characters speaking). As in, shaders and lighting can drastically change how a game looks, as I think can be seen in this KoF XIV mod:
NYaXffo.png

In any case, I see what you mean with XV, that game's still a looker even today, even if there are a few important areas XVI comes out on top and I'd be surprised if the final release isn't generally better looking. Although, I see older Clive's model to be more comparable to Integrade's Cloud than Noctis, even if all three are on the same overall level. Disagree about Horizon, though! I'm not gonna say that game's not great looking, but I think it's overrated as a visual showcase. Seeing people compare it to RDR2 or other titles was always weird to me. Forbidden West looks insanely beautiful, though.

In any case, even if the game is improved significantly, it's clearly not aiming for some nigh unattainable visual fidelity, which I'm fine with.
Yeah we'll definitely see some improvements to lighting, and I've no doubt that the worst case scenario is it's still easily the best looking FF game ever made when played on PS5, but I think the geometry and character poly counts are good indications that FF16 has been designed at the very least with the potential to release cross-gen. Because geometry/model detail isn't something you can easily scale, and it's all very much last gen poly counts, material use, and overall scene detail in the trailer.

When artists are targeting next gen exclusively, they get to produce some batshit insane poly counts, and FF16 was nowhere near that level of detail. You don't get to the end of development and then recreate higher poly versions of all your assets in the polish phase, so I'm braced for that cross-gen announcement =/

Nov 1, 2017
Tokyo
When artists are targeting next gen exclusively, they get to produce some batshit insane poly counts, and FF16 was nowhere near that level of detail. You don't get to the end of development and then recreate higher poly versions of all your assets in the polish phase, so I'm braced for that cross-gen announcement =/

Also, even when done from the beginning, things like this take a considerable amount of time and budget, and Yoshi-P might want to spend that on scale and gameplay instead. Content over graphics.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Also, even when done from the beginning, things like this take a considerable amount of time and budget, and Yoshi-P might want to spend that on scale and gameplay instead. Content over graphics.
Yeah, I get the sentiment, but scale isn't an issue with high poly counts now. Especially with SSDs. And FFXV wasn't exactly struggling to capture scale at its detail level either.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's to also make a bigger, varied explorable world (maybe less like FFXV more large zones similar to FFXIV). I with the others, I have no problem with the initial reveal's graphics/character models/detail, as long as they give us a hearty, grand world (maybe not AS big as everything you experience in FFXIV and its expansions, but something to strive towards). I want snowy mountains, dune-hilled deserts, dense, green forests, roaring rivers, serene fields, perilous valleys, sorched volcanic lands and so on. We know there's some sorta marshlands present in the trailer, and an ancient tower/citadel-like structure where you fight the Coeurl enemy, so those boxes are checked. As it is, that artwork for the Crystalline Dominion looks grand as fuck and all those Crystal Towers is definitely a throwback to the old "crystal towers" of FF (FFXIV incorporating these throwbacks perfectly as well), like Syrcus Tower/Sylx Tower of FFIII.
world_pc.jpg

Not to mention how the central palace structure's built around the massive crystal tower, which is also shaped similar to a sword blade and giving me thoughts of Alexandria Castle in FFIX. I mentioned the shame of that palatial structure, with all those pointy domes,. also bear a similar look to the summon Alexander.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah, I get the sentiment, but scale isn't an issue with high poly counts now. Especially with SSDs. And FFXV wasn't exactly struggling to capture scale at its detail level either.
To be fair, even if your console can manage, you still need to create that content, which is no doubt very time consuming (especially if you're not copy and pasting a lot of the assets and they are unique enough).

I have nothing to back this up, but I feel like that might not be where CBU3's priorities lie and that they will instead focus more on scale and gameplay/story density. Like, FF VII Remake is gorgeous, but it's a rather linear and restrictive experience (which is totally fine, but its level and mission design feel outdated). FF XV, while also really beautifully realized and being technically big, doesn't have that much in the way of points of interest or towns, nor meaningful story content (at least in its open world portion).

I honestly hope the sense of scale and diversity and number of towns is brought back with XVI, but I'm not holding my breath that much just in case.

Last edited:

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, even if your console can manage, you still need to create that content, which is no doubt very time consuming (especially if you're not copy and pasting a lot of the assets and they are unique enough).

I have nothing to back this up, but I feel like that might not be where CBU3's priorities lie and that they will instead focus more on scale, density and gameplay/story content. Like, FF VII Remake is gorgeous, but it's a rather linear and restrictive experience (which is totally fine, but its level and mission design feel outdated). FF XV, while also really beautifully realized and being technically big, doesn't have that much in the way of points of interest or towns, nor meaningful story content (at least in its open world portion).

I honestly hope the sense of scale and diversity and number of towns is brought back with XVI, but I'm not holding my breath that much just in case.
They (game designers like Square) honestly give you the feel that you can either have ONE or the OTHER, but ONLY one or the other (unless its an MMORPG like FFXIV). I'm sure BOTH can be achieved, and that's just me as a non-programmer, non-developer spitballing a vision from my sideline, but to me, if you already know how to do both on the further ends of the spectrum, wouldn't that mean doing something towards the middle be do-able? Something big enough to give the impression/illusion you are traveling across a world without making you feel like you are traveling across pointless space, but something linear enough to guide tight pacing of a story without feeling like the world is just a made-up of connected dungeons.

Status
Not open for further replies.