• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comment from Director Hiroshi Takai
When FINAL FANTASY I was released, I was just another player─a young student with big dreams. By the time FINAL FANTASY V was in the works, I had earned myself a seat at the developers' table... albeit at the very end. From there, I moved "online" leaving my mark on both FINAL FANTASY XI and XIV.

And now...XVI.

From the establishment of an all new development environment, to learning the ins-and-outs of the PlayStation 5, the team and I have taken on countless challenges during our journey to bring you the sixteenth chapter in the storied FINAL FANTASY franchise. And though we're pouring our hearts and souls into this project each and every day, it may still be some time before we can get it into your hands. However, I promise it will be worth the wait!

square-enix-games.com

Introducing FINAL FANTASY XVI – Coming to PlayStation 5 | Square Enix Blog.

An all-new title in the legendary FINAL FANTASY series has been announced. Get the details here.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Will play The Last Remnant to see if I like it.

XIV 2.0 is amazing anyway.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
To be more clear, he was the director of The Last Remnant and the assistant director of FFXIV:ARR and FFXIV:HW. Also, Naoki Yoshida (a.k.a. Yoshi-P), the producer and director of FFXIV:ARR and all of its expansions is producing XVI.

I'm optimistic.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time since 12, single-player FF is in good hands. I'm hyped even though I think the art is bland.

Isn't the DMC5 combat designer on this too?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This is amazing. XIV is fantastic and I have super faith in XVI just because of Yoshi P and Takai.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The Last Remnant is an underrated game that good some really cool and interesting things, imo. Excited to see him at the helm of an FF. I wonder if Sekito will compose at all.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Immediately this gave me XIV and TLR vibes, and neither I've played. It doesn't help SE's approach to western men is very obviously them. But yeah, overall footage vibes were of XIV and TLR. Both having solid reviews, too, so I'm faithful!

Maybe I'll bump TLR into my soon to play list after all.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I loved The Last Remnant and FF XIV is a decent game bogged down by MMO gameplay.

Very excited after seeing the trailer but still cautious when this releases.

Time for me to play The Last Remnant. Switch port any good?

There's a few slowdowns here and there but didn't notice any major problems.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that 16 had so much english dub already done makes me think this game is closer than we think.

We must have faith

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think this is late 2021, or early 2022. English dub and everything shown was ingame and not overly unrealistic? Looks pretty advanced to me.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The Last Remnant has a really cool turn-based battle system. I wonder how the director will translate that into an action RPG? Could be a nice fusion...

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Great.
(Relatively) new blood in the higher ups is exactly one of the things this series needed.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is late 2021, or early 2022. English dub and everything shown was ingame and not overly unrealistic? Looks pretty advanced to me.

Exactly. It's not a target render, not a CGI tone trailer, not some logo and "coming soon" but a full trailer with what looks like real, actual gameplay in an achievable graphical state.

Seems very "soon" for a FF title.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The Last Remnant has a really cool turn-based battle system. I wonder how the director will translate that into an action RPG? Could be a nice fusion...

It has a Dragons Dogma/DMCV combat designer on board, and you feel that. I think it's gonna be good stuff. Really hoping it also has party switching ala FF7R.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I like what I have seen, but I hope they enhance the look of the character models. In general, I think the visuals could be enhanced. Project Athia definitely looked ahead from a graphical perspective, makes sense it is further off though.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird, everything regarding this game is so promising but the graphics look so underwhelming and drab.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I like what I have seen, but I hope they enhance the look of the character models. In general, I think the visuals could be enhanced. Project Athia definitely looked ahead from a graphical perspective, makes sense it is further off though.

Yeah Athia is definitly later out now. You watched the XVI trailer in 4K yet? I think it isn't far off from Athia.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
6a184fef60d4bb2642e23fabcbe5fb93.jpg

Lenz

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm incredibly excited for this. This team proved themselves by reviving XIV and bringing it to where it is now (from a story prospective XIV is at the greatest point it has ever been at) so they deserve to get a crack at a mainline title again. This game could be HUGE.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ryota Suzuki/Oni-S isn't the "DMC combat designer". He was one of the designers on DMC5, and presumably worked on the combat, but we don't know exactly what his specific assignments were. We do know he is a combat guy, but we don't know if he's the combat guy. Given that he wasn't involved on DMC3 (and neither was Neo_G), but lead designer Yoichiro Ikeda and many other Team Itsuno mainstays were, presumably not.

But he was the gameplay player lead on Dragon's Dogma and the lead designer on Dark Arisen, so presumably he was heavily involved with the combat design on those.

Last edited: