• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
1bbugasuksn51.png

Just this please!

Better expect this as the reversible cover, we haven't had a front cover art with only the logo since what, XIII?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Speaking of which, both XV and VII Remake's reversible covers were against a black background, which was kinda cool the first time it happened, but I'm kinda bored of it right now.

If they bring the logo-only cover in any form, I kinda hope it's against a white background. Although I like the older Clive key art as the potential cover quite a bit.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Best version of the FF13-2 moogle was the FF Mobius moogles. Because there was more of them with their own voices and very different iterations of saying kupo. there was a soft-spoken moogle with a gold cowboy hat and sunglasses and said kupo so softly at the end of his lines, it was fucking great. If you're gonna have moogles and have em be voiced, if they really want a cutesy voice then have it be THAT moogle's voice and show other moogles having their own distinct voices, that way it will read closer to FFIX's and FFXI's moogles who had distinct personalities reflected in their dialogue. I don't group up Mog from VI in this only because he was the only moogle (who lost his partner) present in the game's cast but the moogles in the intro showed he was distinct (as were they from each other).

As for any new races, give me those beefy dragon bois they teased us with when showing us Au'Ra concept art. Wouldn't mind seeing new Beastfolk races though as it's been a hot minute since the Ivalice ones were introduced and I do miss the Yagudo from XI and the Lizards from Adoulin.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Hype!

Also lol at that response from another user:

"Release YEAR reveal, lol. If they don't release in 2022 then remake part 2 will be 2024."

Yeah no shit.

I'd be pretty surprised if it was earlier. I could've maybe seen 2023 given how they have the original game as a base, but between the DLC and covid, it's unlikely.

Though we did have Nomura saying at the start of this year that he wanted to show something, that he had some footage of Cloud walking through a forest or something. Hopefully that's a sign that development is well on track at least.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I'd be pretty surprised if it was earlier. I could've maybe seen 2023 given how they have the original game as a base, but between the DLC and covid, it's unlikely.

Though we did have Nomura saying at the start of this year that he wanted to show something, that he had some footage of Cloud walking through a forest or something. Hopefully that's a sign that development is well on track at least.
Just show Cloud and Tifa running together in a new area about to fight and people would be satisfied lol

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Have you lived through the Versus XIII years because if there is one thing to not trust it's that kind of talk from him

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Not only have I lived through the Versus XIII years, I've also lived through the "people claiming FFVII Remake is the next Versus XIII and being wrong" years. Which are still going, apparently.
More power to you if you think that it is indicative of anything that someone wants to show something without actually showing anything is a sign of progress. That's still a 2024 game at the end of the day

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Eeeh, can't exactly fault people for thinking that when it took them 5 years to re-reveal the game.

That was less than 4 years, and that was when they experienced development troubles and had to drop the outsourced development, bring the whole game in-house and competent restart it, while also figuring out everything about the visual style, the gameplay system, the writing style and characterisations, etc. that would serve as the foundation not just for the one game but for the whole Remake project going forward.

By comparison, the next game has the original as a base with a lot of what I just listed already worked out, so they can go straight into the next game. The stuff in the DLC also sets things up for the sequel quite handily - they clearly know exactly where they're going. That's not to say that there's no way anything can go wrong, but there is currently no reason to think it will outside of general pessimism - and comparing it to Versus XIII is even more hyperbolic.

More power to you if you think that it is indicative of anything that someone wants to show something without actually showing anything is a sign of progress. That's still a 2024 game at the end of the day

And I have no issue with that - 4 years between major AAA games, especially during pandemic times, is entirely normal and even impressive, and not even worth mentioning in the same breath as Versus XIII. Still wanna see what Nomura was talking about, but it's probably just basic tech demo stuff.

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Man, every time I think about FF VII Remake part 2,
I get sad. I really don't want a fucking fanfiction-tier story, not just out of me wanting to follow the overall same beats of the OG, but also due to how poorly executed the Whisper-related stuff was in Part 1.

It's such a shame, considering how much I think they nailed the tone, the writing (whenever the plot jannies weren't involved), the combat, the music and the visual design, antiquated level and sidequest design aside.

Part of me wants to cling to those Kitase and Nojima comments in the Ultimania interview, but having fucking Zack alive (even if it's another timeline as it's clear) and revealed to the audience makes me think they won't care to do the whole Nibelheim thing the overall way it was. And I really don't want fanservicy reunions between him and Cloud or whatever the fuck.

I think they wanted to surprise people when they kill Aerith again, so I guess they're succeding there because I fear for that not happening either.
I don't have much hope, but dharmapolice reiterates that FF16 will be at the TGA. On Reddit it's called lilidarkwind ...
I'm cautious about this, even if it seems like a bet that makes sense. I also don't think we know if they're actually the same person (not that they have to say so btw), but yeah, it wouldn't be a shocking development.

The game releasing in 2023 (and aiming to do so right now) would be, imo. If CBU3's really pushing for a short marketing cycle (which would be around 6 months to a year), then they would have been certain of not being able to show the game this year at all for a while, if that's the target year. Who knows.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I'm cautious about this, even if it seems like a bet that makes sense. I also don't think we know if they're actually the same person (not that they have to say so btw), but yeah, it wouldn't be a shocking development.

The game releasing in 2023 (and aiming to do so right now) would be, imo. If CBU3's really pushing for a short marketing cycle (which would be around 6 months to a year), then they would have been certain of not being able to show the game this year at all for a while, if that's the target year. Who knows.

again 2023 just seems too far for this game considering how much we know of the development, VO is probably complete, basic development and scenario was confirmed to completed last year. plus you have to remember that YoshiP himself said that the next time they show the game, the release will be soon after that. I'm still betting on 2022

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Man, every time I think about FF VII Remake part 2,
I get sad. I really don't want a fucking fanfiction-tier story, not just out of me wanting to follow the overall same beats of the OG, but also due to how poorly executed the Whisper-related stuff was in Part 1.

On the one hand I get that Zack is a more important part of the story than his cameo in the original game suggested but I still suspect the reason they've gone the way they did with the remake story was just a way of shoehorning more of him into it in the worst possible ways

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
again 2023 just seems too far for this game considering how much we know of the development, VO is probably complete, basic development and scenario was confirmed to completed last year. plus you have to remember that YoshiP himself said that the next time they show the game, the release will be soon after that. I'm still betting on 2022
Yeah, that's why I'm not really buying those comments. It doesn't really gel with what we know of the game's state.

Again, I don't want to hail his every word as gospel, but, if it were so far away, he would have probably taken that chance during the live letter to, along with saying he wanted a shorter marketing cycle, to say that no info would come out in 2021 (this could still happen even if I feel like the longer the wait to say anything -if they even do-, the less of a chance, but yeah).
Oh, I'm aware of that, I just don't know if dharma claimed anything over here to confirm that they're indeed that user over at Reddit. Again, not that they should say anything, but I wouldn't trust any claim regarding the game or one's identity 100% just to be safe!
Looks like the FF7R hate arc of this thread has been initiated. Ight, Imma head out.
Sorry about that, my fault, especially when I don't feel like discussing XV ad nauseum myself. Will spoiler it and be done with the topic on my end.

Edit: just saw the "hate" part. I love the remake! Precisely because of that, however, I feel passionate against certain things in it.
I think it's definitely for the fanservice on top of whatever narrative thread they're putting together. He's a very beloved character despite having such a short amount of screentime in the OG and mostly because of CC (despite that game's god awful writing and a bad story, he's really likable there).

I've never wanted the game to 1:1 with the OG and I was really enjoying all the things they created for this and even wanted more events like the Jessie mission. But the way the Whispers are executed are way too reminiscent of the Compilation, make every scene drag and feel awkward and rob the game of the wonderful themes of anticapitalism and pollution the Shinra/Midgar segment had in the OG and should have kept here. Even if I wanted them to fully deviate from the OG, I'd be worried seeing how badly they executed all of this :/

And yeah, the worst thing they could is merge timelines and have Zack join or whatever. Best case scenario: they keep Zack a mystery adding maybe some teases and changes here and there until Cloud gets his shit together. But I feel they're going to play around with the two timelines and show a lot of Zack before the time he should be a known quantity.

In any case, yeah, this might not be place to discuss this!

Last edited:

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about Remake II makes me want to stand up on the nearest table and dance. Field areas, Nibelheim flashback, more playable characters, more nuts plot surprises, more incredible music, Midgar Zolom probably Junon and just MORE of that amazing combat. Yes please, all over my face.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
In any case, I saw these fan-made pieces the other day and I really liked them. Particularly the first one, which kinda reminds me of FF VIII/Parasite Eve Nomura, the GOAT:
6612ac573d8d979a30337aeb192f4545042a8e4b.png

Source: https://euanchen.tumblr.com/post/629718660571938816

I hope we get more fanart as soon as the game gets the spotlight, as there isn't that much thus far.
EDIT:
*insert obligatory, recurring "Man every time this thread is bumped I have a heart attack thinking FFXVI is finally getting some new news lol lol" post*
This thread is a homage to FF I's time loop!

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*insert obligatory, recurring "Man every time this thread is bumped I have a heart attack thinking FFXVI is finally getting some new news lol lol" post*

dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
So, I guess for context... here was my tongue-in-cheek heads up I posted the day before the Bethesda aquisition: https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-hasn’t-bethesda-announced-skyrim-for-ps5-yet.290924/

And here was my leak about Fortnite on Switch a couple weeks before reveal: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fortnite-for-nintendo-switch-confirmed-by-kgrb.46151/post-8614110

Let me just put things into perspective: I have a sibling who is an intermediary (trying to be vague here). My sibling a) does not like me and knows I am a massive gamer and b) only tends to give up intel when a little bit inebriated at family gatherings. Generally, I have to pretend I am not really interested to get any information. All this is to say, some of what is shared may well be fucking with me, some of it ends up being true. The Bethesda aquisition was said to me "I'll bet you 100 dollars Bethesda gets bought by someone that hates Sony this week" ... the Fortnite info was like "Fortnite is coming to switch, it's going to run like shit and there's a push to have some excliive Mario content in there which Epic is trying to avoid" ... the FF information was a little more sobering... "Battle will feel heavier, there are playable character(S) and everything is being built for TGA." My sibling, I believe is aware of my posts here and on reddit and has since Septemeber been a complete vault. So, in short, my source may have dried up. The only other thing I have inferred is that this game will be larger than people imagine and so 2023 is a window of discussion... and this may not be what is shared with us in December. Still, take all I say with a grain of salt, my sibling could be just fucking with me as well. Just laying my cards out here.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
TGA would probably be the last chance to show it outside of Japan this year - if Sony does not announce a surprise PSX event...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So, I guess for context... here was my tongue-in-cheek heads up I posted the day before the Bethesda aquisition: https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-hasn't-bethesda-announced-skyrim-for-ps5-yet.290924/

And here was my leak about Fortnite on Switch a couple weeks before reveal: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fortnite-for-nintendo-switch-confirmed-by-kgrb.46151/post-8614110

Let me just put things into perspective: I have a sibling who is an intermediary (trying to be vague here). My sibling a) does not like me and knows I am a massive gamer and b) only tends to give up intel when a little bit inebriated at family gatherings. Generally, I have to pretend I am not really interested to get any information. All this is to say, some of what is shared may well be fucking with me, some of it ends up being true. The Bethesda aquisition was said to me "I'll bet you 100 dollars Bethesda gets bought by someone that hates Sony this week" ... the Fortnite info was like "Fortnite is coming to switch, it's going to run like shit and there's a push to have some excliive Mario content in there which Epic is trying to avoid" ... the FF information was a little more sobering... "Battle will feel heavier, there are playable character(S) and everything is being built for TGA." My sibling, I believe is aware of my posts here and on reddit and has since Septemeber been a complete vault. So, in short, my source may have dried up. The only other thing I have inferred is that this game will be larger than people imagine and so 2023 is a window of discussion... and this may not be what is shared with us in December. Still, take all I say with a grain of salt, my sibling could be just fucking with me as well. Just laying my cards out here.
I am sorry, but that Skyrim thread doesnt really prove anything, and your Fortnite claims were inaccurate as well. As for the FFXVI information, as it was already covered here many times, 2023 doesnt make sense given what we know of the state of development officially (voice recording done, content including side content is already locked, plans to give the next information when they are ready to have a release date rather than drip feeding information for years).
This is all not to mention that you seem to have access to super broad information, including even the marketing plan for Persona 6:
FYI- Persona 6 will be teased at the end of the anniversary events. No gameplay, just a logo with some new aesthetic and an "unexpected" theme.
Very few got such an access of information, especially when it extends to both east and west game development information.

I hope that you understand that it is not hard to be very skeptical about all of this.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
For what is worth, it is extra difficult speak about stuff you want info about with a person you have deep ties with. Even moreso if you are a fan of said topic and can't act uninterested.
Like, speak to me about FF and I'll point out my ears like G'Raha Tia.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm choosing to believe, but because it's somewhat logical more than anything else. Dharmapolice has big "just trust me bro" vibes. No offense, I just think Modiz has a point.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I am sorry, but that Skyrim thread doesnt really prove anything, and your Fortnite claims were inaccurate as well. As for the FFXVI information, as it was already covered here many times, 2023 doesnt make sense given what we know of the state of development officially (voice recording done, content including side content is already locked, plans to give the next information when they are ready to have a release date rather than drip feeding information for years).
This is all not to mention that you seem to have access to super broad information, including even the marketing plan for Persona 6:

Very few got such an access of information, especially when it extends to both east and west game development information.

I hope that you understand that it is not hard to be very skeptical about all of this.

To be fair to dharmapolice, I don't believe the Persona anniversary announcements are completed yet, am I wrong? They seem like they're announcing multiple things over the year's time.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
To be fair to dharmapolice, I don't believe the Persona anniversary announcements are completed yet, am I wrong? They seem like they're announcing multiple things over the year's time.
I have not been arguing that the Persona 6 information has been proven wrong, I am saying its highly unlikely for said individual to get a hold of so many different pieces of information from so many places, especially on 2 of the most important upcoming Third Party Japanese games in development.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I have not been arguing that the Persona 6 information has been proven wrong, I am saying its highly unlikely for said individual to get a hold of so many different pieces of information from so many places, especially on 2 of the most important upcoming Third Party Japanese games in development.
That's fair. I assumed seeing that in the history that there was a likelihood of being linked to a gaming journalist site, but obviously it's all unlikely.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That's fair. I assumed seeing that in the history that there was a likelihood of being linked to a gaming journalist site, but obviously it's all unlikely.
Even in the case of game journalists, Jason Schreier, easily the most reliable reporter in the industry, has been vocal about his lack of information access on game development in Japan, hence why he is in a position to beg for FFXVI to show up each time because he doesnt know either lol.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand I get that Zack is a more important part of the story than his cameo in the original game suggested but I still suspect the reason they've gone the way they did with the remake story was just a way of shoehorning more of him into it in the worst possible ways
FFVII Compilation and onward has been all about shoehorning "I liked _______ from the original game.... I WANT MORE THEM, even if they are dead!!! GIMME MOOOOOOORE!". To me it always felt less of a "We really have a good idea on how to expand this world and movie the story forward" and more of "You like Cloud and co? You like Sephiroth? You like Zack? You like Hojo? We got'em ALL and they are ALL COMING BACK!!!" Hell, Advent Children and on feels like the Star Wars sequel trilogy. The dead speak!

And I say all this as someone that LOVES FFVII (it's my second favorite FF of all time).

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Just to add to what modiz said above: a Persona 6 tease at the end of the anniversary stuff feels like an easy cold call.

FFXVI at the TGAs feels like a cold call. At least a few of us have been saying that one long before dharma brought it up. I certainly thought as much before ever seeing a post from them. It's just a logical guess.l, like I said before.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
FFVII Compilation and onward has been all about shoehorning "I liked _______ from the original game.... I WANT MORE THEM, even if they are dead!!! GIMME MOOOOOOORE!". To me it always felt less of a "We really have a good idea on how to expand this world and movie the story forward" and more of "You like Cloud and co? You like Sephiroth? You like Zack? You like Hojo? We got'em ALL and they are ALL COMING BACK!!!" Hell, Advent Children and on feels like the Star Wars sequel trilogy. The dead speak!

And I say all this as someone that LOVES FFVII (it's my second favorite FF of all time).

I can see this take. And SE is nothing if not willing to partake in some fanservice with their favorite characters. I think the VII universe is different in many ways, in that many people got into FFVII through Crisis Core, and to them, Zack is the bee's knees. But to remake Crisis Core itself is maybe a bridge too far. Would you actually be successful in bringing a full-on pachinko battle system in to a wider audience? Highly unlikely. So, remake VII, bring Zack into it in some meaningful way, and you can make everyone happy. How do you do that without doing what you're saying which is offering a glorious amount of fanservice? It may not be possible.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm like 60% sure FFXVI will be there but I still ain't doing the bet this time. A part of me thinks something huge like that would've leaked by now
From what I remember, Geoff's most recent shows haven't gotten many leaks if any at all. And re: FF XVI we've gotten zero info we can trust beyond Schreier's vague descriptors last year.

I also don't think a FF XVI trailer is so huge that it has to be leaked, not with the game already announced. Certainly not bigger than a potential trailer for Horizon, GoW, Dragon Age, Kojima's next project or whatever they could show (and hasn't been leaked either) at TGA.

Still, there's a relatively high chance I'll have to keep using this avatar next year lmao.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
So, I'm the one that sort of started the XV rant a few days ago (sorry) by bringing up that I think maybe this could be a 2023 game. My reasoning was quite different, though.

We're a month from 2022. No release date. No idea how the game actually plays. Only one trailer, a light preview site, and a note on the PS Store that it's an action RPG. Literally all we know. Not rated by ESRB. No announced information dumps. The only bits of info we've gotten have been drug out of YoshiP by Yoko Taro and Sakaguchi. None of the official social media accounts have said anything in nearly a year.

I know SE, particularly Yoshida, would like to change their habits of releasing a trailer too early. That suggested initially that the game is nearly finished. But to not do any marketing for a year beyond the initial announcement seems implausible at best. I get that Endwalker is down to the wire and maybe they're looking to do more after this. There just seems so little time to do all that needs to be done for this game to release in 2022. And that needs to start at TGA. It was nine months from June 2019 E3 presentation for VII-R's "re-reveal" to release day (extended to 10 months by the delay), and there were something like four trailers, a whole series of behind the scenes videos, multiple presentations leading up to that. So, I think if this game doesn't have a massive info dump or re-reveal next week, then the possibility of it making 2022 is practically out the window. The NVIDIA leak merely adds intrigue: if the game is released September 2022, a six-month PS5 exclusivity window before going to PC (if the leaked date is right) seems weird and kind of useless. PS5s are hard to get for now and for the foreseeable future, so it may take you six months to get ahold of a system if you are one of the holdouts waiting to buy when this game comes out. Why bother doing that when you can just get it on PC six months later? That date, of course, could be a placeholder. We don't know. But a lot of games on that list had no date.

At the same time, if it releases in 2023, it damn better be in the first part of the year, because it will be widely expected that Endwalker's follow-up will be released that year as well. Any expansion to XVI would then come in the heart of Endwalker's progression.

TL;DR: TGA or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.