• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Pretty sure what Yoshida meant about wanting to show the game when people can buy it is that he wants the game to present so well that people go out and pre-order it, not literally showing the game when release is imminent.

Could be wrong, though.
Maybe a little of both, however for sure it won't be like 30-60 days or something before launch. This is a huge game obviously as we know and like their other titles.. When the marketing begins, it will hit a few shows and be spread out 6-9 months. When it begins to the point of getting seen frequently like how VIIR got its tease in May 2019, its blowout in June 2019 and its various information / trailers in the months after.

They want to show the game and show all the features in a blowout style (if there is something on wednesday it won't be that). And they want folks to pre order it and anticipate it for the marketing cycle. However, if the release is summer or fall 2022 or later, Yoshidas comments would have meant that he wouldn't want to show it in summer 2021 and then have the wait be over a year still.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
For me this whole bet thing is a bit of fun while we wait.

It might be at the SoP, it might not. There are good arguments for why it might, as well as for why it might not.

There isn't too much logic behind my reasoning for saying it will be there, I just want to get in on the hype. If it's not there, yeah I'll be disappointed, but it's not the end of the world and when it finally does get shown off again all of that disappointment will be a distant memory anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I'm still on #TeamReal but if people want to use these you can choose between Clive, Joshua and Jill lol

cliveclown.png
josuhuaclown.png
jillclown.png

Just realized that Jill's hair reminds me of FFXII Ashe's character design. Weird that it took this post to make me realize that lol

Also, the art style for these illustrations (barring the clown edits obviously) is really great

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to bet because:

A. SE is dead set on making fans suffer as much as possible so I've mostly stopped paying attention to event schedules and thinking about whether or not it will be there (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 329 times, shame on me).
B. Clowns are terrifying and I'm not messing w/ that shit.

That said, I'd be surprised if it's there. A 20 minute SOP when it's been quiet for a year and they said they wanted to show right before releasing? And that's just going to be a little trailer at some forgettable digital event? And then when is it realistically coming out? March at the earliest? They're going to show it now instead of blow it out after the holidays?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure what Yoshida meant about wanting to show the game when people can buy it is that he wants the game to present so well that people go out and pre-order it, not literally showing the game when release is imminent.

Could be wrong, though.

People take him waaaaaay too literally. A showcase and then release 2-3 months later? No publisher does that with a AAA release. None. Even GTA got at least four months of lead time and that was back in the day when releases were far more frequent. Square will be talking about this faaaaar before it's out, the same way they did Endwalker and anything else. It's not gonna be more than a year away, but here months is insanity.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
That said, I'd be surprised if it's there. A 20 minute SOP when it's been quiet for a year and they said they wanted to show right before releasing? And that's just going to be a little trailer at some forgettable digital event? And then when is it realistically coming out? March at the earliest? They're going to show it now instead of blow it out after the holidays?

Well FFVIIR was re-revealed after 4 or 5 years in a 15 minute SoP so it's more than fair to say it might be there. They say they want to show it right before releasing, this is SE we are talking about, where soon means it is a year away. Right before release could mean 6 months.

The SoP for remake reveal had over a million views, the full trailer at E3 had over 3 million views. Trailers at these forgettable digital events have been breaking view records on YouTube. Showing it now would be the best time. We have a heap of games just come out a few bigger ones in November and December. In the New Year there is little appetite for game announcements. Then February and March are packed with new releases. June is a realistic time to release it,all the big releases would be out.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well FFVIIR was re-revealed after 4 or 5 years in a 15 minute SoP so it's more than fair to say it might be there. They say they want to show it right before releasing, this is SE we are talking about, where soon means it is a year away. Right before release could mean 6 months.

The SoP for remake reveal had over a million views, the full trailer at E3 had over 3 million views. Trailers at these forgettable digital events have been breaking view records on YouTube. Showing it now would be the best time. We have a heap of games just come out a few bigger ones in November and December. In the New Year there is little appetite for game announcements. Then February and March are packed with new releases. June is a realistic time to release it,all the big releases would be out.
When VIIR had that trailer dropped at the SoP, e3 was just around the corner and their e3 presentation that year was basically dedicated to giving us a bunch info on VIIR. It was great timing and basically helped build up to when the marketing campaign for the game truly started. XVI isn't really in the same position unless SE decides to have their own event / stream dedicated to XVI this year. From the sound of it, it seems like Yoshi-P wants the next time we see XVI to be like VIIR at e3 in 2019 vs just dropping a trailer and saying see you next time. Obviously anything can happen and the latter might just be what we get (which is cool too) but it his statement made it sound like he wanted to have a big showing for XVI so it would be the game you have to play and it wouldn't be very long before you could play it either.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The demos are interesting in that they can be a year out (FFXII, FFXV), a month before launch (XIII-2, VIIR) or inbetween (FFXIII)

The far out ones have represented games very much in flux. I'm not really interested in playing anything until it's locked down, systems-wise.
they do seem to be super late in the development, i bet things are locked down. And tbh, the VIIR demo was more a marketing thing because it was ready and playable at e3 2019. They made the public wait beyond christmas, beyond the original anniversary (when a trailer launched), and until March 3rd 2020. That demo was ready for a while. I can see a demo in this case but it would be different from XV and FF Origins, where those were used for direct feedback... And this is more like VIIRs where they know it is good and will just sell the game.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
they do seem to be super late in the development, i bet things are locked down. And tbh, the VIIR demo was more a marketing thing because it was ready and playable at e3 2019. They made the public wait beyond christmas, beyond the original anniversary (when a trailer launched), and until March 3rd 2020. That demo was ready for a while. I can see a demo in this case but it would be different from XV and FF Origins, where those were used for direct feedback... And this is more like VIIRs where they know it is good and will just sell the game.

Yeah, I think so.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
lol it would be hilarious if the launch trailer skipped the producers live letter and was at SoP instead.

but all kidding aside, XIV has never had a major presence outside of SE organized events so I'm really not expecting anything XIV related here aside from showing existing footage or being part of a sizzle reel or something especially considering the last major Producer's Live Letter before Endwalker is mere days away after SoP.

also we are so fucking close to Endwalker. HOLY HELL I can't wait!

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Blast from the Past. September 2003.

www.gamespot.com

Square Enix considering Kingdom Hearts sequel, Final Fantasy VII-2?

Tetsuya Nomura comments on the current possibility of sequels for two of the company's high-profile RPGS.

"On the issue of a Kingdom Hearts sequel, Nomura stated that he would like to clarify that a sequel has not been officially announced at the current time. Nomura said that although he hopes that the title will be developed, Square Enix and Disney have not made any agreements yet. However, Nomura hinted that the possibilities are good, saying that there were already some talks with Disney about making a sequel while Kingdom Hearts was in production.

On the possibility of a Final Fantasy VII-2, Nomura said that the chances of it happening are unrealistic. Nomura explained that Final Fantasy X-2 was able to be released since it utilized the Final Fantasy X engine, allowing production of the game in one year at only half the usual development scale of a Final Fantasy title. However, to make Final Fantasy VII-2, everything would most likely have to be created again from scratch since the data from the original Final Fantasy VII cannot be used. Thus, producing a Final Fantasy VII-2 would require the development scale of a normal Final Fantasy title."

The Kingdom Hearts 2 E3 2004 trailer was surprising after this (with Hollow Bastion level and other surprises). It is wild how amazing KH2 (and3 IMO ) are.
We would also see the Advent Children movie trailer and the ps3 VII tech demo.

Glad they finally green lit it all for VIIRemake in early 2014 and revealed it in the e3 2015 showcase.

Oct 25, 2017
Blast from the Past. September 2003.

www.gamespot.com

Square Enix considering Kingdom Hearts sequel, Final Fantasy VII-2?

Tetsuya Nomura comments on the current possibility of sequels for two of the company's high-profile RPGS.

"On the issue of a Kingdom Hearts sequel, Nomura stated that he would like to clarify that a sequel has not been officially announced at the current time. Nomura said that although he hopes that the title will be developed, Square Enix and Disney have not made any agreements yet. However, Nomura hinted that the possibilities are good, saying that there were already some talks with Disney about making a sequel while Kingdom Hearts was in production.

On the possibility of a Final Fantasy VII-2, Nomura said that the chances of it happening are unrealistic. Nomura explained that Final Fantasy X-2 was able to be released since it utilized the Final Fantasy X engine, allowing production of the game in one year at only half the usual development scale of a Final Fantasy title. However, to make Final Fantasy VII-2, everything would most likely have to be created again from scratch since the data from the original Final Fantasy VII cannot be used. Thus, producing a Final Fantasy VII-2 would require the development scale of a normal Final Fantasy title."

The Kingdom Hearts 2 E3 2004 trailer was surprising after this (with Hollow Bastion level and other surprises). It is wild how amazing KH2 (and3 IMO ) are.
We would also see the Advent Children movie trailer and the ps3 VII tech demo.

Glad they finally green lit it all for VIIRemake in early 2014 and revealed it in the e3 2015 showcase.
Now make a thread called :" Nomura: chances of Final Fantasy VII-2 happening are unrealistic" and watch Era burn (and probably be banned lol)

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm so ready to retire this goddamn thread is unreal.

That new "Final Fantasy XVI: new 19 minutes-long trailer" to be created tomorrow will be fire.
For real, I'd be fine with a 1 minute-long teaser even.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Saw The Last Remnant Remastered was only $10 on the PS Store and remembered that Hiroshi Takai directed that (Was that his last directed game before XVI)? I know it's a somewhat polarizing game but I heard it has Ivalice vibes and FF XII is one of my favorite games ever. I like RPGs like that so I thought for $10 it was a no brainer.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
has there been something new come up pointing to this? I was away for a while.(No the little devil inside PlayStation tweet doesn't count lol)

Not really. But yes I was going to mention it was strange to focus on that especially as their game…. Sure it's not 100% confirmation that FFXVI is not going to show up but oh boy it does make me think getting hyped for it to show up tomorrow is just going to lead to disappointment.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I honestly think if FFXVI was to ever appear in a State of Play, Sony would mention them front and center so as many people would watch the show. That's one of the main reasons why I don't expect to see it

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I honestly think if FFXVI was to ever appear in a State of Play, Sony would mention them front and center so as many people would watch the show. That's one of the main reasons why I don't expect to see it
I don't get this logic, going by this all publishers would announce all the big games that will appear on their showcases lol, which obviously doesn't happen outside of some exceptions.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I don't get this logic, going by this all publishers would announce all the big games that will appear on their showcases lol, which obviously doesn't happen outside of some exceptions.
Im surprised more publishers don't tease game reveals more obviously to be honest. You'd get a lot more FF fans tuning in if they knew a trailer would be dropping.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
To add to what other posters are saying, Sony dropped not only FF7 Remake but also the reveal of FF7 Remake Intergrade into State of Plays with no prior tease

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
For those curious, here's what they said about the States of Play where they rerevealed FF VII Remake after almost 4 years and where they announced Intergrade:
FF VII Remake rereveal said:
"It'll be a quick show (around 10 minutes), but we've got some PS4 updates we couldn't wait to share with you.

PlayStation Worldwide Studios will be showing off an extended look at the upcoming MediEvil remake, as well as a first look at a new title. And we'll have other updates and announcements from upcoming PS4 games.

One note: Don't expect any updates relating to our next-generation plans this time. Sorry!"
Intergrade announcement said:
"Time for another State of Play! This Thursday, a State of Play broadcast will serve up new updates and deep dives for 10 games coming to PS4 and PS5, including new game announcements and updates on some of the third-party and indie titles you last saw in June's PS5 showcase.

The show is clocking it at 30 minutes or so, give or take. Can't wait to hear what you think! And a quick note: there won't be PlayStation hardware or business-focused updates in this show. We're focusing on great games set to come out in the months ahead."
Truth be told, the one where FF VII Remake was rerevealed couldn't have gotten a less exciting description lmao. It was also a damn short event, and there had only been a handful of States of Play (all of them quite mediocre imo), so if it hadn't been for some people's teases, I don't think anyone would have been too excited for it.

If you think about it, FF XVI being rerevealed is less of an "event": it's only been a bit over a year since it was first announced (actually showing a game), we've been promised info in 2021 and, I guess, it's less exciting of a watch for many since it's not a remake for one of the most beloved and hard to update games ever.

I'm still more doubtful than I was a few days ago (and even then I was 50/50), but we'll see.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
For the record, Shinji Hashimoto has not retweeted the event at all. He always does for state of plays and other events. Especially the FFVIIRemake included events this year and 2019.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

He's still with S-E iirc.

But yeah, he's no longer the Final Fantasy Brand Manager (that's Kitase now), so I don't think we should look at his Twitter activity as proof or a tease for anything.

He still RTs everything SE-related too, but yeah, I'm not so sure he would even know if XVI or any other SE game is in this anymore. He didn't RT the last SOP and that had Forspoken in it, if I recall?

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, Shinji Hashimoto has not retweeted the event at all. He always does for state of plays and other events. Especially the FFVIIRemake included events this year and 2019.
He also didn't RT the september event when Forspoken had a new trailer, and then proceeded to RT a ton of Forspoken stuff after the event was over. So yeah, I don't think he does that anymore.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
Im surprised more publishers don't tease game reveals more obviously to be honest. You'd get a lot more FF fans tuning in if they knew a trailer would be dropping.
I think Sony wants to avoid this especially because if they and the publishers announce the full lineup (or even Sony themselves announces the biggest title ahead of time), you'll start getting an anti-hype effect where people don't bother tuning in to other shows lacking certain titles, under the confidence that nothing relevant to their interests will show up.

The ambiguity forces everyone to watch regardless.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I think Sony wants to avoid this especially because if they and the publishers announce the full lineup (or even Sony themselves announces the biggest title ahead of time), you'll start getting an anti-hype effect where people don't bother tuning in to other shows lacking certain titles, under the confidence that nothing relevant to their interests will show up.

The ambiguity forces everyone to watch regardless.
Yeah I can see it being beneficial to Sony and I guess they're the hosts. Makes sense.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Team fake without a doubt, but I would be happy to eat crow :)

Love to see how the game has improved visually and I want to hear more music as well, what was shown off last year was so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.