• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Welcome to the Final Fantasy XVI "Will it show up at the October State of Play?" betting special!

Background:

On a special day in September of 2020, Yoshi-P and the gods at Creative Business Unit 3 decided to grace us with a glimpse at the next mainline title in the storied Final Fantasy Franchise, Final Fantasy XVI. It gave us look into the new world in the Final Fantasy lore, one that returns the franchise to its High Fantasy roots.

But aside from brief snippets via blogposts and some verbal affirmations from Yoshi-P himself, its almost been over a year since we have seen something substantial from the game. Creatives behind the team have ensured the fans that development is progressing smoothly but we are hungry and want more footage. In blogposts prior we were told to expect new information in 2021 and Yoshi-P has expressed that they will not have anything to show until after TGS 2021. Well, we are past that and now in October and a new State of Play is upon us.

The Bet:

Now there are some of us that are skeptical as to whether we will get some new footage here at this State of Play and many who say that the long national nightmare is over and its XVI's time to shine. So, as fun little community thing, we are doing an avatar bet.

The bet is for the losing team to change their avatar to any of these 3 images for 2 weeks after the State of Play has aired.

Thank You Scotia for the images

Remember: Contestants are also encouraged to create their own clown avatars and use that for the bet.

The Contestants:

#TeamReal consists of the folks who believe that we will be seeing new XVI footage during the October State of Play, these include:

- modiz

- purseowner

- Xavillin

- Angie

- Mediking

- Ewaan

- Niosai

- Knight_Sami

- Okabe

- pleaseinsertdisctwo

- Cjdamon042

- vestan

- Scotia

- SoulsHunt

- Tornak

- Wispmetas

- Uzupedro

- Moara

- Orion

- Dlanor A. Knox

- Viale

and for #TeamFake, which are the folks that are not expecting any new footage for XVI at the October State of Play, these include:

- Helix

- Slaythe

- Quintus

- asd202

- jacktuar

- Son of Sparda

If you wish to partake in this little game of ours, do @ me and whichever team you are on and I'll add you to the list.

Let the games begin!
Ain't that funny? You would think Team Fake would have more people but they don't. Ha!

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, thanks for using the images I made! I don't mind if people clown their own avatars of course but if anyone uses mine then I'd be great!

And yeah that post is a good layout for a thread if people want one made.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Oh, thanks for using the images I made! I don't mind if people clown their own avatars of course but if anyone uses mine then I'd be great!

yeah, its all about choice. either people use your images or they make their own. its all about making it accessible for those who want to partake

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, its all about choice. either people use your images or they make their own. its all about making it accessible for those who want to partake

Yeah of course I wouldn't want anyone to be forced into using mine anyway. I didn't really expect anyone to use mine so even if one person does that would be a surprise lol.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol don't worry. Team Real won't lose. Trust me and no I'm not a insider
Insiders be like:

OIP.MYx-YlMKCEXYqZQztCYGCAHaEK

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
sorry for blasting all of your @'s one last time but I am moving this to its own thread.

www.resetera.com

The Final Fantasy XVI Avatar Bet! (Betting window is now closed)

Hello and Welcome to the Final Fantasy XVI "Will it show up at the October State of Play?" betting special! COUNTDOWN TO OCTOBER 2021 STATE OF PLAY: 2021-10-27 22:00:00 Europe/London Background: On a special day in September of 2020, Yoshi-P and the gods at Creative Business Unit 3...

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to be really patient with news for this game and not get my hopes up for seeing it. That said I really hope we see this game again at the SoP event. Come on Yoshi it's been a fricking year now with basically nothing. We get it (I get it) everyone love FFXIV but 16 exists too in theory and could use sometime in the spotlight. My hype level can't get any higher for Endwalker and I've already got my copy ready to go. I don't need anymore convincing but for the love of god show us some god damn 16 already. Please… prettty please.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
it's kinda odd how confident people are about it showing up. But whatever…. I hope it is shown but once again I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
it's kinda odd how confident people are about it showing up. But whatever…. I hope it is shown but once again I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

I honestly don't even know what evidence they're using beyond "I really want to see it".

They're not going to show the game off the year before it's out. It'll get shown off when it's ready to release, and close to release. Probably three months before at absolute maximum.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't even know what evidence they're using beyond "I really want to see it".

They're not going to show the game off the year before it's out. It'll get shown off when it's ready to release, and close to release. Probably three months before at absolute maximum.

PlayStation have updated the FFXVI pages in the background last week. They did that to other games just before they showed them in a State of Play.

We were told we would see something this year and we are fast running out of year.

Recently they said the Music is done, all the VA is done and they only have the last few side quests to finish. It sounds to me it's in the last legs of production.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I think there's a decent bit of reason(Def more than "I really want to see it" at least) to think it could be here personally:

• FF XVI was said to get news in 2021, not a whole lot of time left.
  • FF XVI was planned/hoped(by Square) to be at TGS(three weeks ago), but needed a bit more time per the producer.
  • FF XVI is apparently fairly close to being finished as per producer
  • Sony has started updating sites related to FFXVI *very* recently (like within last week)
  • History of recent FF announcements/trailers at SoPs.
100% sure? nah, but I think there's a solid chance.

Last edited:

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I mean even if it doesn't show up, no biggie, it'll appear when it appears. No harm in getting hype unless you're the type who legit gets upset when it won't show

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation have updated the FFXVI pages in the background last week. They did that to other games just before they showed them in a State of Play.

We were told we would see something this year and we are fast running out of year.

Recently they said the Music is done, all the VA is done and they only have the last few side quests to finish. It sounds to me it's in the last legs of production.

One important thing to note: We were told we would see something this year, and then YoshiP changed his tune to "the next time I want to show it is when people can go out and buy it right after". It's pretty clear that they're trying to avoid the FFXV/Versus XIII "let's show it way too early and piss everyone off when it gets delayed" kind of thing.

It's not coming out this year, so it makes no sense to show it this year just for the holiday-game marketing onslaught to steamroll it. They will probably show it two or three months before it's actually coming out.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
One important thing to note: We were told we would see something this year, and then YoshiP changed his tune to "the next time I want to show it is when people can go out and buy it right after". It's pretty clear that they're trying to avoid the FFXV/Versus XIII "let's show it way too early and piss everyone off when it gets delayed" kind of thing.

It's not coming out this year, so it makes no sense to show it this year just for the holiday-game marketing onslaught to steamroll it. They will probably show it two or three months before it's actually coming out.
Unless the game comes out early next year.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020

Yep. Also even if Yoshi-P had said info was coming this year as his most recent update…that doesn't mean it will. Plans change and COVID continues to delay things. Putting together a trailer is no easy thing.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

He didn't want the reveal trailer to be released last September but SE made the decision for him. It could have happened again. Then again he also wanted to show something at TGS.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yep. Also even if Yoshi-P had said info was coming this year as his most recent update…that doesn't mean it will. Plans change and COVID continues to delay things. Putting together a trailer is no easy thing.

Given they wanted to be at TGS I think its fair to assume they have something being prepped to be shown this year. Even if its just a small tease for some event-esque blowout (which wouldn't be untypical for Square).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the game comes out early next year.

They're not going to put a mainline Final Fantasy out in January or February, and if it's coming out in March there's zero point in them showing it in October. If it is somehow coming out in March, they should show it off after the holidays so it doesn't just sink into irrelevance for five months.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They're not going to put a mainline Final Fantasy out in January or February, and if it's coming out in March there's zero point in them showing it in October. If it is somehow coming out in March, they should show it off after the holidays so it doesn't just sink into irrelevance for five months.
Your beliefs of how long a game will be marketed are pretty flawed considering how long nearly every non yearly game gets marketed for. Games usually get a release date around 6 months prior, not 3, especially as we move away from Holiday launches to any other kind of launch.

Heck, Endwalker is just a DLC that the fanbase would have been aware of regardless and it got a release date 6 months ahead of release.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the Final Fantasy XVI "Will it show up at the October State of Play?" betting special!

Background:

On a special day in September of 2020, Yoshi-P and the gods at Creative Business Unit 3 decided to grace us with a glimpse at the next mainline title in the storied Final Fantasy Franchise, Final Fantasy XVI. It gave us look into the new world in the Final Fantasy lore, one that returns the franchise to its High Fantasy roots.

But aside from brief snippets via blogposts and some verbal affirmations from Yoshi-P himself, its almost been over a year since we have seen something substantial from the game. Creatives behind the team have ensured the fans that development is progressing smoothly but we are hungry and want more footage. In blogposts prior we were told to expect new information in 2021 and Yoshi-P has expressed that they will not have anything to show until after TGS 2021. Well, we are past that and now in October and a new State of Play is upon us.

The Bet:

Now there are some of us that are skeptical as to whether we will get some new footage here at this State of Play and many who say that the long national nightmare is over and its XVI's time to shine. So, as fun little community thing, we are doing an avatar bet.

The bet is for the losing team to change their avatar to any of these 3 images for 2 weeks after the State of Play has aired.

Thank You Scotia for the images

Remember: Contestants are also encouraged to create their own clown avatars and use that for the bet.

The Contestants:

#TeamReal consists of the folks who believe that we will be seeing new XVI footage during the October State of Play, these include:

- modiz

- purseowner

- Xavillin

- Angie

- Mediking

- Ewaan

- Niosai

- Knight_Sami

- Okabe

- pleaseinsertdisctwo

- Cjdamon042

- vestan

- Scotia

- SoulsHunt

- Tornak

- Wispmetas

- Uzupedro

- Moara

- Orion

- Dlanor A. Knox

- Viale

and for #TeamFake, which are the folks that are not expecting any new footage for XVI at the October State of Play, these include:

- Helix

- Slaythe

- Quintus

- asd202

- jacktuar

- Son of Sparda

If you wish to partake in this little game of ours, do @ me and whichever team you are on and I'll add you to the list.

Let the games begin!

Add me to team real. I'm going to believe.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Your beliefs of how long a game will be marketed are pretty flawed considering how long nearly every non yearly game gets marketed for. Games usually get a release date around 6 months prior, not 3, especially as we move away from Holiday launches to any other kind of launch.

Heck, Endwalker is just a DLC that the fanbase would have been aware of regardless and it got a release date 6 months ahead of release.

I'm following what Yoshi has blatantly said about not wanting to drag out the marketing process for months.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'm following what Yoshi has blatantly said about not wanting to drag out the marketing process for months.
Would you say that Endwalker has "dragged out the marketing" in that case then? Because if he was thinking as such, then why would they announce the release date so early?
My point is that you are stretching what he said to almost mean "only show the game when it is gold", and that rarely happens for non Holiday games.
Realistically all it means is that they have a representive part of the game to show and a release window/release date to announce alongside it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Would you say that Endwalker has "dragged out the marketing" in that case then? Because if he was thinking as such, then why would they announce the release date so early?
My point is that you are stretching what he said to almost mean "only show the game when it is gold", and that rarely happens for non Holiday games.

I don't think Endwalker has the same amount riding on it that FFXVI does. Endwalker, being an MMO expansion, is better suited for a "this month we're gonna talk about the new jobs, this time we're gonna talk about the new raids" marketing, because it's an addition to a game that everyone is already familiar with. MMO players need to know about job changes and shit like that because it impacts the way they're going to play the game they're presumably still playing now.

Meanwhile, Square and Yoshi are clearly gunshy about showing XVI over and over and over again for months. They know what damage that kind of dragged-out, piecemeal overexposure did to XV and XIII. Showing too much, constantly teasing people with drips of content, throwing out uncertain release dates...it's just not helpful for the game and it's not helpful for fan expectation.

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
I am team Fake but because it is better going expecting nothing and surprise yourself than expecting news and get nothing

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The thing with them potentially failing to fulfill the "more in 2021" promise is that they've had plenty of chances to say "yeah, sorry, but that's probably not happening anymore", and we know Yoshida's pretty candid about this stuff.

The way he talked about TGS meant that they were seriously considering it as a venue to show off the game. You don't say that or feel that way if your marketing assets aren't being actively worked on to be shared this year, since that was three full months before the year's end.

Now, is the game going to appear this Wednesday? Likely not. But being so certain that it's not showing up this year strikes me as weird.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
are you suggesting that its marketing would be quick then or ?

I think they will show it this year , but with the release being late summer or fall 2022.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
are you suggesting that its marketing would be quick then or ?

I think they will show it this year , but with the release being late summer or fall 2022.

They're not going to show it off this year if it isn't out until next fall. That's insane. There's zero point in even bringing the game up if it's functionally a whole year out.

At best you might get a short trailer in late December with an April release date.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I just think there is a pretty massive difference between showing a game more than 3 months before launch and way overmarketing and cosntantly teasing a game but thats just me i guess.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just think there is a pretty massive difference between showing a game more than 3 months before launch and way overmarketing and cosntantly teasing a game but thats just me i guess.

I'll be honest: the only thing we need to know about XVI is whether or not there is a full party of characters.

Otherwise they can be dead silent until release date and I don't need to see anything else.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, it does.

If it wasn't coming this year he would've told us already because he's always hyper transparent about basically everything. This is the same guy that posted an effusive, page-long apology and explanation of server technology when people couldn't log in to FFXIV for a couple days because the game got too popular too fast for SE to keep up (lol).

News is coming.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I need that, but I also need to see more interesting locations and character designs, honestly.

I would rather we leave all of that to be discovered in-game. I'm so tired of being able to extrapolate every single twist and character arc in a new FF game before it even launches. RPGs in particular are terrible at blowing everything in advance via marketing.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
This thread is tagged "News" so I keep expecting to see some announcement or something in here. Thread should be tagged "Olds" amirite?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I would rather we leave all of that to be discovered in-game. I'm so tired of being able to extrapolate every single twist and character arc in a new FF game before it even launches. RPGs in particular are terrible at blowing everything in advance via marketing.
The only reason I'm saying is because I trust CBU3 to not do a repeat of, say, XV in terms of marketing, going by Yoshida's words and the game likely coming out next year. Then again, I think some XIV trailers are quite spoilery? If so, I hope they tone that down.

The website update last year probably excited me more than the actual trailer, mostly due to how beautiful and fantastical the towns looked. The trailer was just too grounded and dim, so I'd love to see more key characters more in the line of older Clive's design (still grounded to a degree, but unmistakably a FF/JRPG guy) and an in-game look at one of the two cities they showed, as Rosaria looked boring and I need my JRPG ass towns in FF.

But yeah, I really don't want them to ruin this game with marketing. Honestly? FF VII Remake had a fantastic 2019, but then, in usual S-E fashion, they started revealing too much. Which felt extra bad considering how much of that game was a known quantity (established world, cast, story, only Midgar...).

Hopefully they strike a good balance with XVI. It's a brand new world, so everything's bound to surprise us. It's a first since 2006 honestly, so it's super exciting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I'm saying is because I trust CBU3 to not do a repeat of, say, XV in terms of marketing, going by Yoshida's words and the game likely coming out next year. Then again, I think some XIV trailers are quite spoilery? If so, I hope they tone that down.

The website update last year probably excited me more than the actual trailer, mostly due to how beautiful and fantastical the towns looked. The trailer was just too grounded and dim, so I'd love to see more key characters more in the line of older Clive's design (still grounded to a degree, but unmistakably a FF/JRPG guy) and an in-game look at one of the two cities they showed, as Rosaria looked boring and I need my JRPG ass towns in FF.

But yeah, I really don't want them to ruin this game with marketing. Honestly? FF VII Remake had a fantastic 2019, but then, in usual S-E fashion, they started revealing too much. Which felt extra bad considering how much of that game was a known quantity (established world, cast, story, only Midgar...).

Hopefully they strike a good balance with XVI. It's a brand new world, so everything's bound to surprise us. It's a first since 2006 honestly, so it's super exciting.

I went into Psychonauts 2 this year having watched NO TRAILERS outside of the initial reveal and it was amazing. I feel like that's the best way to engage with modern games, since modern game marketing just ruins...everything right up front.

JRPG trailers tell you every detail about every character and often show bits of the endings right up front and it's just...so exhausting. Imagine playing a JRPG where you don't know every single party member and the main villain and their evil plan before you even put the disc into your console. I miss those days.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how white the trailer was in terms of characters, they need to show more of the world and the people in it.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Pretty sure what Yoshida meant about wanting to show the game when people can buy it is that he wants the game to present so well that people go out and pre-order it, not literally showing the game when release is imminent.

Could be wrong, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.