• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
IF information is delayed to 2022. You can be sure that they will make use of the absence well until literally June/ e3 2022. I highly doubt a Final Fantasy showcase will happen in Feb or March.
I mean i loved XV Uncovered.. I'm down for that. But they did VIIR at E3 for its 2019 uncovering portion.

And it went way better than Uncovered, where it felt they had to fill in the timeslots one way or the other.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
TGS was seriously considered and not at all discarded, so, even if it's unlikely they're meeting that deadline, we still have three full months. I'm still expecting stuff, otherwise Yoshida wouldn't even entertain a late September/early October appareance (again, even if he was pessimistic).

Probably November or December, sadly.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
that was for XIV and it was replacement for the physical fan festival that got cancelled

No, it was the announcement showcase like the title says. Fanfest replacement was in May and was announced at this event in Feb. And this is CBU3, so it's relevant because of that, if for no other reason. Point being though: They're willing to do an FF showcase before June/E3.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
No, it was the announcement showcase like the title says. Fanfest replacement was in May and was announced at this event in Feb. And this is CBU3, so it's relevant because of that, if for no other reason. Point being though: They're willing to do an FF showcase before June/E3.
There was planned 3 fanfest, Europe, NA and Japan, the announcement showcase and the digital fanfest later were the result of cancelling those 3 physical events, still was only for XIV, they didn't called digital fanfest because was too close and didn't last enough, just that

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

It was still a replacement for the North American and European Fanfests. We didn't even know there was going to be a digital Fanfest until the announcement showcase.

Jan 11, 2018
On a more serious note, I think this is a better approach than drip-feeding us with every little minor thing they've been working on. I want them to pull a Capcom and drop a big trailer 10 months before the game's release. I don't want multiple big trailers dating back years prior to the game's actual release.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
On a more serious note, I think this is a better approach than drip-feeding us with every little minor thing they've been working on. I want them to pull a Capcom and drop a big trailer 10 months before the game's release. I don't want multiple big trailers dating back years prior to the game's actual release.

It worked for FFVII-R. I think there were a few years of basically nothing other than key art before it showed up in SoP. 1 month later, E3 had the big blowout of info, then trailers at each of the next few shows, then demo, then release.

If CRIMSON-XIII is right, and it shows up at TGA (which has been my theory pretty much since Yoshida told us it wasn't going to be at TGS), then a similar time schedule would put us around late-Q3/mid-Q4 for release. Would be a pretty clear time as far as major releases, with Forspoken probably being out for a few months already, Endwalker out for a full year nearly, and VII-R2 probably only being teased at that point.

I also don't doubt SE shadow-dropping a new trailer at basically any time.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Fuck, just realized we're only a week away from October. We should be getting a S-E Presents lineup soon enough (the E3 was shown 10 days prior).

Not that they're gonna include FF XVI, though, and remember that Yoshida refused the chance of a surprise appearence (I agree with this: S-E loves to do this with announced games, which I find stupid).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing prevents Sony for having a FFXVI-only presentation too. They signed the exclusivity and maybe even marketing deals

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Fuck, just realized we're only a week away from October. We should be getting a S-E Presents lineup soon enough (the E3 was shown 10 days prior).

Not that they're gonna include FF XVI, though, and remember that Yoshida refused the chance of a surprise appearence (I agree with this: S-E loves to do this with announced games, which I find stupid).
I think their schedule is laid out, i saw a calender a week or two ago. There is a 30-60 minute Forspoken thing. Their presents is 30 minutes in the intro of the days. I forget if it was on the TGS website or. But yeah they have not laid out game names for that first presents.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I feel like good with YoshiP helming 16, but I am disappointed that the game was announced and looked very far along…..and then….nothing.

After the years long FF13/15 debacle and news droughts and Dev hell I was ready for a return to "normal".

So I guess I'm not worried about the game, but I sure as hell hope we get a new trailer and release date in the next few months. I still feel like this will be out Holiday 2022 even though we have seen and heard so little.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I wonder how much Covid has fucked over their development/marketing plans and whether they planned to have less of a wait from the reveal till the next trailer.

It's been more than a year, which some people in the know laughed about as they didn't think it was a possibility. But we know it was never planned for E3.
I think their schedule is laid out, i saw a calender a week or two ago. There is a 30-60 minute Forspoken thing. Their presents is 30 minutes in the intro of the days. I forget if it was on the TGS website or. But yeah they have not laid out game names for that first presents.
Yeah, I meant their S-E Presents schedule, since I don't think they even tweeted about it! Like, the kind of tweet/image where they talked about this summer's focusing on LiS and Eidos Montreal's game.

If FF XVI were to appear this TGS (😞), it'd surely be on that event, with a potential stream later on to talk about it.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Kind of ironic when yoshi p boasted about wanting to show the actual game instead of cgi so people wouldn't think it was far off.....

....only to go a whole year without any new footage.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of ironic when yoshi p boasted about wanting to show the actual game instead of cgi so people wouldn't think it was far off.....

To be fair, I doubt it will be far off when they actually decide to showcase the game again.

Don't forget that FFXIII was announced 4 years ahead of its Western release and FFXV... well... I'd hate for that to happen again.

Edit: typo

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The game is being developed whether or not there is a trailer. We saw footage of it that was not CGI so the project is real. What was an issue was having super-closed events where Famitsu journalists swore that Versus XIII was real and the most beautiful game ever made with Nomura saying it's well underway when it never got past 10% of development.

The Last of Us 2 was announced in 2016 and released in 2020 and that wasn't an issue then, and they didn't have to deal with the full force of COVID-19's disruption. Don't be like that

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I doubt the game is that far away. People were saying Forspoken would be years away when that was revealed, but it's coming out next Spring. Then we had a similar situation with Elden Ring, no news for a year, but it's out in January. Wouldn't be surprised if the next time FF XVI is shown we get a release time frame.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I expect FFXVI to fill the spot that FFXIV expacs had back then, so June

(it would be sick if CBU3 was big enough to fill the gap year release between FFXIV expansions, one new game every two years)

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all because if the PS Showcase thing, but June feels right to me. If they do a showcase thing during the holidays and give it that window, that's not too different from how Endwalker's been handled and as noted, June is the old XIV window so the division is used to launching a game then.

I also feel like that "spring" window for Forspoken is doing a lot of work. That feels like it's gonna hit late May to me.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Just rewatched Dreamboum's great combat breakdown and got me thinking about Eikon moves. My first theory was there being a pool of Eikons and then a rotating wheel for battle.

But some of these moves seem pretty "basic" (like the Phoenix launcher), so perhaps Clive can use all Eikons simultaneously and they're triggered through player actions? Or what if there are equivalent moves for every attack type in every summon (so it wouldn't just be Phoenix that has a launch)? Or maybe do need to choose (selecting Phoenix to do a launcher, otherwise you're fucked)?

As for party members: would they also have Eikon moves? There are only eight "official" Eikons (Ifrit is the ninth one per a deleted tweet) and we've already seen Clive have access to three in the first trailer. Depending on how the story/lore goes, I guess you could have a pool to share them across members (be them character exclusive or fully swappable), but I don't know, seems a bit too contrived and ambitious (even if they don't meet that tempting sixteen Eikon number).

I guess this is the main reason I think there's not gonna be a party, as I feel they might focus on a wide array of Eikons moves for Clive and make his combat very deep. Then again, other characters could have different attributes/"job", especially if they're not playable.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I doubt the game is that far away. People were saying Forspoken would be years away when that was revealed, but it's coming out next Spring. Then we had a similar situation with Elden Ring, no news for a year, but it's out in January. Wouldn't be surprised if the next time FF XVI is shown we get a release time frame.
People are rightly concerned, though, if only because SE has a bad habit of announcing FF games too early. It seems like they've learned their lesson after the XV and VII-R debacles. I suspect the game is mostly completed, and they're simply waiting now on the marketing cycle to kick in to start showing it off.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I'm sure that has less to do with vertical slice footage than it has to do with Endwalker dominating "Mainline FF" marketing. They're plugging the pixel remasters as well, so if they started also pushing FF16 right now it'd either get lost in the crowd (I had friends who didn't even know the FF16 reveal trailer existed) or it'd distract from the other stuff they're currently selling. I would expect FF16 marketing to kick in at The Game Awards in December.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Just rewatched Dreamboum's great combat breakdown and got me thinking about Eikon moves. My first theory was there being a pool of Eikons and then a rotating wheel for battle.

But some of these moves seem pretty "basic" (like the Phoenix launcher), so perhaps Clive can use all Eikons simultaneously and they're triggered through player actions? Or what if there are equivalent moves for every attack type in every summon (so it wouldn't just be Phoenix that has a launch)? Or maybe do need to choose (selecting Phoenix to do a launcher, otherwise you're fucked)?

As for party members: would they also have Eikon moves? There are only eight "official" Eikons (Ifrit is the ninth one per a deleted tweet) and we've already seen Clive have access to three in the first trailer. Depending on how the story/lore goes, I guess you could have a pool to share them across members (be them character exclusive or fully swappable), but I don't know, seems a bit too contrived and ambitious (even if they don't meet that tempting sixteen Eikon number).

I guess this is the main reason I think there's not gonna be a party, as I feel they might focus on a wide array of Eikons moves for Clive and make his combat very deep. Then again, other characters could have different attributes/"job", especially if they're not playable.

I would be cautious of relying on a year old video to make sense of the game's battle system. So much has likely changed.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019

There's a part of me that wonders if this is going to be squad-based combat, where Clive is the leader of a group of randos that can be assigned different jobs.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I would be cautious of relying on a year old video to make sense of the game's battle system. So much has likely changed.
I know, and we haven't even seen much in any case to make much sense of it. Although tbh, I doubt there have been changes as big as conceptual/fundamental ones considering how close to finished the game seems to be.
There's a part of me that wonders if this is going to be squad-based combat, where Clive is the leader of a group of randos that can be assigned different jobs.
If there's a party, I'm leaning towards this, yeah, wouldn't expect them to be playable. I guess similar to what FF XV was at launch: Noctis can do a lot of stuff and the others you can't control directly. Having a Gambit-like system would be nice, although it wouldn't really soften the dissapointment of not playing as them that much.

I could even see the game giving you control to Clive, Jill and maybe Joshua in several portions of the game to show different POVs. It wouldn't replace having a party, though, the magic of that is sharing the journey and managing them.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
I saw a" leak" way back that said there is a "party" of dominants that are unplayable but that Clive can unlock further eikon abilities by doing optional sidequest chains with them, which would be neat if true. And it sounds like something YoshiP would do.

I would still prefer a traditional party that you can play as though.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well, now that we know FFO is coming out in March, I expect SE's marketing in the next few months to be focused on that.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
This is approaching tin foil hat territory but Soken recently liked Geoff's game awards annnouncement tweet. Assuming he is the composer we could see the rereveal there.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
This is approaching tin foil hat territory but Soken recently liked Geoff's game awards annnouncement tweet. Assuming he is the composer we could see the rereveal there.
Believing in likes and retweet's worked well for Hashimoto when he did it so I'll join you in this tin foil hat madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.