• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't what was said. Whether the game is in a state to be shown and whether that state is to Yoshida's satisfaction are two very different things.

Guess which one won out last time.
I think last time they didn't expect to get backlash for the visuals of the game, so they thought it was good enough to be shown.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I said in the Sony thread, based on public knowledge out there by insiders that Square 2022 and 2023 are mapped out already.

FFXVI will launch 1st in 2022 I expect Q2 2022
Forspoken is next which is the Japanese Studios under Squares umbrella with English Writers. Late 2022
Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 will Launch Q1/Q2 2023.

The only thing I have heard is E3 2022 plans have started.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
No, Tornak is right, I am often seeing new stuff from the game, but it's from in-game and not marketing material. The people I am in touch withs is working on the actual game, I will not believe any "trailer" talk from them until they can prove it is from an actual trailer.
tumblr_m3hakh8m4Y1rnnyy9o1_500.gif

I said in the Sony thread, based on public knowledge out there by insiders that Square 2022 and 2023 are mapped out already.

Forspoken is next which is the Japanese Studios under Squares umbrella with English Writers. Late 2022

For S-E you mean? I hope those plans don't include FF XVI :p

I agree with your prediction about FF XVI, yeah. I don't think we'll have to wait until after summer to play it. Don't know about Forspoken, though, could see it coming out first.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Forspoken isn't coming first. They started pre-pro on XVI in like 2016. Luminous wasted years on FFXV DLC and the Windows port. The timing doesn't even make sense unless Forspoken is like a ten hour game. That "January 2022" date has people mixed up, man. It's never made sense.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Forspoken isn't coming first. They started pre-pro on XVI in like 2016. Luminous wasted years on FFXV DLC and the Windows port. The timing doesn't even make sense unless Forspoken is like a ten hour game. That "January 2022" date has people mixed up, man. It's never made sense.
Pre-Production for Forspoken was running simultaneously with XV DLC, we saw it in the form of WITCH.

But even that really doesn't mean anything. Pre-production can go on for years and years until resource frees up. For XVI they had a creative team come from Heavensward but they didn't suddenly have the hundreds of developers needed to create a AAA game. SE have been recruiting for years, so we have no idea when they were able to kickstart full scale production.

On the other hand it's an entirely plausible scenario that Forspoken started full development after the XV DLCs.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i know you can't just speedrun game dev by throwing people at it but it does seem like Forspoken has some of SE's western teams working in conjunction with Luminous... could have a much bigger overall team than FFXVI.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
We don't know what Forspoken really is yet. They can easily spend 3 years in full production and make a full game. Until they say the date, I will be reserved in thinking it can come earlier or much later in time. At the moment, my hunch is that Forspoken is before FFXVI. But I am glad to see so many people here feel optimistic about the opposite.

rodeo_chirb

Jun 16, 2020
Its gonna show up at TGS anyway, but I wouldn't mind seeing more or a beta. I LOVED the alpha
For sure, origins is easy to shit on (and for valid reasons), but I think the game still has a lot of potential. It needs polish for sure, but final fantasy nioh is like a dream game for me so I'll always hold out hope it'll be good.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but what I mean is we have no idea when XVI started full production. Just because pre production began in 2016 doesn't mean full production couldn't have started in 2019. In fact that probably is when it started.

I understood your post. My understanding is the game started actual development before then and lm comfortable assuming that's not the case for Forspoken.

KnightSlayer

Jul 27, 2021

Did everyone forget about what Square said this past May..?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know what Forspoken really is yet. They can easily spend 3 years in full production and make a full game. Until they say the date, I will be reserved in thinking it can come earlier or much later in time. At the moment, my hunch is that Forspoken is before FFXVI. But I am glad to see so many people here feel optimistic about the opposite.

unless i'm interpreting footage wrong FFXVI is way more of a "game" at this point than Forspoken (which doesn't even have an official title yet)

that said this stuff can turn on a dime

edit: my bad it's not under "tentative title" anymore. dunno how i missed that

Last edited:

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
No, Tornak is right, I am often seeing new stuff from the game, but it's from in-game and not marketing material. The people I am in touch withs is working on the actual game, I will not believe any "trailer" talk from them until they can prove it is from an actual trailer.
So um.. about the question if this game has an actual party system..

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
There's actually a live letter a little over a week after this where they said they'll be talking about combat updates, so that's Endwalker locked into its own thing.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

Forspoken looks to have started full production at the start of 2019 as well.

A gameinformer guy tweeted during Forspoken's reveal that he had seen a very early prototype of it when they went to SE Business Division 2 for a preview of FFXV in 2016 and now he realizes what that prototype was for. So pre-production for Forspoken also seems to have started in 2016.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
unless i'm interpreting footage wrong FFXVI is way more of a "game" at this point than Forspoken (which doesn't even have an official title yet)

that said this stuff can turn on a dime

edit: my bad it's not under "tentative title" anymore. dunno how i missed that
Forspoken is actually the title that will be on the box, when sold . Buit you make a good point about the trailers.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
The least they could do is maybe throw some more words onto the web site they launched last October? Maybe that's all we'll get this year.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
So um.. about the question if this game has an actual party system..
I'm not looking forward to have them confirm no party at all.

That's gonna be some rough time for discussing the game (and a big dissapointment lol).

A gameinformer guy tweeted during Forspoken's reveal that he had seen a very early prototype of it when they went to SE Business Division 2 for a preview of FFXV in 2016 and now he realizes what that prototype was for. So pre-production for Forspoken also seems to have started in 2016.
Oh, had totally forgotten about the GameInformer thing, nice catch. I still wonder just how much input Tabata had on the game, as he was clearly involved at some point, and if there was any kind of reboot or something.

So, it's anyone's guess to see which game comes first seeing how their development times mirror. Just because Forspoken didn't get the actual title until later/has had less meaningful trailer doesn't mean they are way behind FF XVI.

I am still betting on Forspoken coming first.

DivineBlade

Jun 26, 2021

Keep in mind that Forspoken has probably been rebooted multiple times since then.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
I'm not looking forward to have them confirm no party at all.

That's gonna be some rough time for discussing the game (and a big dissapointment lol).

Oh, had totally forgotten about the GameInformer thing, nice catch. I still wonder just how much input Tabata had on the game, as he was clearly involved at some point, and if there was any kind of reboot or something.

So, it's anyone's guess to see which game comes first seeing how their development times mirror. Just because Forspoken didn't get the actual title until later/has had less meaningful trailer doesn't mean they are way behind FF XVI.

I am still betting on Forspoken coming first.
You are saying that you have reason to believe there is no party?

Also, for people who follow 14 and Yoshi-P, they know that guy is very clever with his wording and knowingly misleads/teases sometimes. A good example was when asked about his division's mystery project and his involvement with FFXVI, he just said that he is NOT directing FFXVI and left it at that. Many people at that time thought ok, maybe that game is not mainline FF then only to later reveal that he is only the producer and that the game is indeed FFXVI. Now, he mentions he wanted to do something for TGS, but could not make it in time. This, to me does not indicate that that was their only plan for showing off the game for now. And he sure as hell was not going to imply at all that we would see it in some event like PS showcase when no such event had been announced yet. All that is to say, that FFXVI can still show up on Thursday as Yoshi is very specific with his words and trying to extrapolate from his comments usually is misleading.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Also, for people who follow 14 and Yoshi-P, they know that guy is very clever with his wording and knowingly misleads/teases sometimes. A good example was when asked about his division's mystery project and his involvement with FFXVI, he just said that he is NOT directing FFXVI and left it at that. Many people at that time thought ok, maybe that game is not mainline FF then only to later reveal that he is only the producer and that the game is indeed FFXVI. Now, he mentions he wanted to do something for TGS, but could not make it in time. This, to me does not indicate that that was their only plan for showing off the game for now. And he sure as hell was not going to imply at all that we would see it in some event like PS showcase when no such event had been announced yet. All that is to say, that FFXVI can still show up on Thursday as Yoshi is very specific with his words and trying to extrapolate from his comments usually is misleading.

Yep. Very specifically said he "does not think" they'll make TGS. Going to be very funny if it's there on Thursday and confirmed for TGS after. Man loves his wordplay.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
There's going to be so many overly dramatic posts declaring the series dead if they announce no party members

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018

I think it could go either way, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a solo game tbh.

But I'm mostly basing it on the combat looking similar to a character action game, which tend to have pretty deep, complex combat. Then again, that doesn't mean there couldn't be, say, 3 or 4 characters with diverse, complex styles in the game. Like, we've already seen guest combatants in XVI and stuff like DMCV proves you can have a nice amount of different characters. I also think the combat will have enough of its own (on top of RPG elements) that comparisons like this might not be that great.

As for Yoshida, yeah, he seems to love twisting the truth and trolling. But the reason he seemed down on TGS was him not thinking they'd be able to pull off a big showcase (which is what he seems to want to do next before opening pre-orders and all of that) and he seemed candid enough. Again, if taken by his word, it would imply they would be even less ready for a showcase a month before. But it's all about semantics (and a language I don't understand at that).

So, in both cases (party and the next showing being next week), I choose to remain pessimistic, but I wouldn't be shocked if I'm wrong (if only), just a tiny bit more surprised than if those things didn't happen.
There's going to be so many overly dramatic posts declaring the series dead if they announce no party members
Yeah, that won't be pretty. Ngl, I'd be bummed, but I don't think there's anything that would be a dealbreaker in this game.

Now, I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't at least get non-playable members, even if it's not for the full game and the rotate or something. Like, even XIV, an MMO, has that and, from what I've seen, it's very well developed.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
CBU3's full focus is going to be on Endwalker from now till a few months after its release, especially with all the recent hype surrounding it, then all hands on deck with FFXVI's marketing i think.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
www.youtube.com

Breathtaking Games | PlayStation

https://www.playstation.com/ps5/games/Step into breathtaking worlds, discover incredible stories, and meet unforgettable characters – in games out now and co...

This was a PlayStation ad from a few days ago that had Hogwarts and Forspoken in it but no FFXVI. That's why my current feeling is those two games are more likely to be shown next Thursday and have a closer release

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.youtube.com

Breathtaking Games | PlayStation

https://www.playstation.com/ps5/games/Step into breathtaking worlds, discover incredible stories, and meet unforgettable characters – in games out now and co...

This was a PlayStation ad from a few days ago that had Hogwarts and Forspoken in it but no FFXVI. That's why my current feeling is those two games are more likely to be shown next Thursday and have a closer release
To be fair, returnal was missing from an ad from December, only to appear in TGA and have a release date announced there.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
CBU3's full focus is going to be on Endwalker from now till a few months after its release, especially with all the recent hype surrounding it, then all hands on deck with FFXVI's marketing i think.
They said they were going to show stuff in 2021 last year and CBU3 considering TGS (even if they might not make it) points at that still being the case.

This year we're getting more, I'm sure of that.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Endwalker is an MMO, too. An expansion launch is going to be an increased workload, but I still wouldn't think of it in the usual terms of "ramping up." It's not like they're pulling people off XVI for that. Those have to be very different kinds of work.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
They said they were going to show stuff in 2021 last year and CBU3 considering TGS (even if they might not make it) points at that still being the case.

This year we're getting more, I'm sure of that.
Yeah they probably wanted to have a 16 presence at TGS, not sure if it was covid or something else that might stop them from doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.