• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
output5280168ab6933d5f.gif
This shot stood out to me. There is literally nothing in the background and it just looks like Shiva is in a beta room.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Don't give me hope, my dude.

Not hope just speculation based on the details😂

FFVIIR was outsourced initially because they had no team to build the game and then brought back into internal development while the team was being built. I think that why they stuck conservatively to just Midgar.

For this game they have been recruiting for a while. Development has probably been ok. It is not surprising to hope the game gets release late 2021 or early 2022.
I'm expecting the release sequence to be like this.

FFVIIR for Xbox and PC
XIV Expansion/Next gen versions
XVI for PS5
Athia
FFVII-2

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Also let's not forget that FFVIIR is extremely linear where this game could potentially be open world or bigger at the very least.

It didn't look that next gen to me but still pretty good and exciting, combat looks phenomenal and the story is already intriguing af compared to XIII and XV.
Yeah this is where I'm at. As well as thinking the game is at least 12 months away, maybe even 24 months, so visual quality could change a heck of a lot. Particularly lighting, which is absurdly flat at the moment.

Most importantly for a first look, years ahead of release, the story and dialogue is sounding fantastic. That's the part that needs to be great early on in an RPG's development.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, it was a modified version of Crystal Tools (which was used to build FFXIV 1.0) which incorporated parts of Luminous Engine as it was being developed.
Nah, it was a modified version of Crystal Tools (which was used to build FFXIV 1.0) which incorporated parts of Luminous Engine as it was being developed.

I thought they did say it's a new engine made for FFXIV. As stated in the links.

"The update requires an all new client, currently available for free download for all purchasers of 1.0. It uses a different graphics engine, based on a branch of Square's Luminous technology and drastically redesigns the game world map for ease of use and play and boasts a different server structure which allows for more rapid player action; the new engine is also better optimized for both lower end PCs and the PlayStation 3."

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV

"A Realm Reborn and Heavensward are operating on the game engine which was specially built for FFXIV," he observes. "For an MMORPG, it's necessary to render as many characters as possible simultaneously. Also, being a title from the Final Fantasy series, FFXIV is expected to meet the quality of the franchise. In order to materialise these two goals, the exclusive game engine was built."

https://www.mcvuk.com/development-n...ee-years-on-from-a-realm-reborns-release/amp/

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The absolute whiteness and lack of diversity seems even more glaring and obvious when the setting is so generically western european looking. Really hope there is more to this world.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I gotta say, I was severely underwhelmed by this announcement. Mainline Final Fantasy games used to be graphical showpieces that blew me away everytime, but this just looks... kind of bad if I'm being honest. The character models look awful, the artstyle is bland and uninspired, some of the assets look like they were ripped straight from XIV, and there's just generally nothing that excites me about this announcement at all. Project Athia looked way more interesting than this.

Indeed. Feels like Sony got the bad end of the exclusivity deal here, lol.

Maybe SE bundled this along Athia and FF7R to get more cash out of Sony, haha.

In a way, I'm relieved? FF7R still seems like their main thing, and XVI, as it looks now, seems like something they're pushing out just to remind people they haven't stopped making new FFs? I'd believe it if you told me it was a side story prologue of some sorts to FFXV.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
So what engine are they using? Maybe it's the art style but I found the character models in FF VII Remake and XV more impressive. The gameplay looks fun but everything else was underwhelming.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Joshua's gonna be the antagonist, cuz he killed everyone but MC with Ifrit and then he's gone. MC looking for Joshua for years to save him or revenge.

That's my wild take from the trailer LOL.

Last edited:

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics do not make a good game.

Good god these takes.
This shot stood out to me. There is literally nothing in the background and it just looks like Shiva is in a beta room.
Did you miss the brown desert??? And also how the angle of the shot keeps it low in the background with the sky being more dominant. Jesus. I can't with era sometimes.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah if I have to be honest with myself I'm very disappointed by the complete lack of color and I kind of agree with all the "generic" complaints being thrown around.

it's footage from the beginning of the game, obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that it all looked generic. I really hope the game has lots of imaginative, colorful, and fantastic environments because that's one of the reasons why I play this series.

Still a Day 1 purchase

Even though I am really concerned by the director of The Last fucking Remnant directing this

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
fuck i'm so excited that I had to change avatar to that villain hottie in the trailer. Can't wait to know more about the characters

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's because it's a fucking desert. And also the angle of the shot keeps it low in the background with the sky more dominant. Jesus. I can't with era sometimes.
So? Assassin's Creed Origins is just a desert and if you take your eagle up high you're gonna get more detail and environments than we got there. Or let's say XV's first section of Leide, where it's also just a desert, whenever you get a summon POV you get a good look of the entire environment and it's not literally just a wasteland that looks like the background to a Tony Hawk Create a Park mode.

But it just sounds like you can't handle people criticizing this game for some reason.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I gotta say, I was severely underwhelmed by this announcement. Mainline Final Fantasy games used to be graphical showpieces that blew me away everytime, but this just looks... kind of bad if I'm being honest. The character models look awful, the artstyle is bland and uninspired, some of the assets look like they were ripped straight from XIV, and there's just generally nothing that excites me about this announcement at all. Project Athia looked way more interesting than this.
I feel the exact opposite. I despise hype trailers that promise empty lies with pretty cgi. Save that cgi trailer for when the game is actually confirmed to exist and be playable first. I like every FF, but it's absolutely true that Square Enix's obsession with pretty graphics hampered their games and their development process. Before FFVII came out with its prerendered cutscenes there were other FF games that weren't marketed as the cutting edge of tech.

This fandom has been conditioned to want and expect pretty sparkles and the idea of a game in trailer form, holding onto the head canons they built in their minds for years until at last the actual gameplay trailer is released, nothing like the concepts they thought it would have, and they are finally forced to realize it, the promise and the idea of the game promised to them by those trailers, was all a fantasy in their heads born from target renders that the dev team couldn't deliver on.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Yeah if I have to be honest with myself I'm very disappointed by the complete lack of color and I kind of agree with all the "generic" complaints being thrown around.

it's footage from the beginning of the game, obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that it all looked generic. I really hope the game has lots of imaginative, colorful, and fantastic environments because that's one of the reasons why I play this series.

Still a Day 1 purchase

Even though I am really concerned by the director of The Last fucking Remnant directing this

Have you ever played FFXIV? You are in for a world of excitement. Naoki Yoshida's team creates the best character arcs and locations are incredibly beautiful.

Oct 31, 2017
COMPLETE LACK OF COLOR??????????????
Yes

calm down

the colors are dull and muted IMO Edit: actually not IMO, it quite obviously was not a colorful trailer

the game is still Day 1 for me but the art direction of what was shown in the trailer personally really did disappoint me if I have to be honest with myself, and yes I think the shots of Shiva looked like shit and her design is bad/generic

Last edited:

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
this looks like testing for sure unless she's in heaven or something. Looks amazing though... the model is even better than XV's.
ehh it's a better designed Shiva than XV's skimpy outfit but the detail in XV's is a lot better.

What I'm getting at is that this one is not gonna be a showcase and so at this point I'm more interested in the story and characters (honestly, gameplay wise I'm expecting the same that I got out of XV/VIIR).

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cycle begins a new:

1. Announcement trailer released showing scenes/assets that are still in development
2. People say the game looks like shit
3. We see the same scenes close to release date that have clearly been worked on further DUE TO THE NATURE OF VIDEO GAME DEVELOPMENT
4. Game releases and looks phenomenal

The trailer is running on an emulation of PS5 on PC ffs. The game is clearly still in early development. This is not representative of how the final product will look. Enjoy the fact the game has been announced.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So the Heavensward team is working on this. The best written piece of FF content in the last decade for me. Shadowbringers is also very close for me.

I am eating GOOD

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
People really thinking that this is the final trailer and the game will be release tomorrow.

Hopefully we all could survive this pandemic and enjoy the next gen.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I dont get the graphics complaints. The game is going to look fantastic in later trailers in fact I guarantee it. This was literally a first showing....

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
So the Heavensward team is working on this. The best written piece of FF content in the last decade for me. Shadowbringers is also very close for me.

I am eating GOOD

Heavensward/Tactics ogre/Vagrant story

I'm totally fine if the game was influenced from any of those.

The cycle begins a new:

1. Announcement trailer released showing scenes/assets that are still in development
2. People say the game looks like shit
3. We see the same scenes close to release date that have clearly been worked on further DUE TO THE NATURE OF VIDEO GAME DEVELOPMENT
4. Game releases and looks phenomenal

The trailer is running on an emulation of PS5 on PC ffs. The game is clearly still in early development. This is not representative of how the final product will look. Enjoy the fact the game has been announced.

So true.

I recall FFXV announcement and gameplay in 2013 and FFVII Remake first gameplay announcement were somewhat rough.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
FF7 Remake was shot like a movie. They slapped lighting in front of the model's faces at all time during cutscenes, which is why it looks so good. FFXVI doesn't seem to do that

Also FF shot itself in the foot seeking cutting edge graphics for more than a decade. The FFXIV team know this more than anyone. Art Direction >>>>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.