• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I love it, but most people in this forum seem to hate it, so there's that.

If you do give it a shot, and end up enjoying it, do yourself a favor and make sure to check out Pitioss Ruins after beating the game. It's a superb dungeon.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
There were lots of wrong with it but XV also gave me moments that made me forgave most of its issues. Can't say the same about XIII.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Definitely worth a play. It's its own thing compared to other FF games but still quite fun (and cheap to boot whether gamepass or PS4).
I recently played just the DLC and got in the mood to play it again (Not very long either, you can beat it in about 30 hours).

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I recently finished FF7 Remake and I quite liked it (even though I am not a JRPG person at all) and then I saw FF15 Windows Edition on Game Pass for PC.

Is it worth a shot? People seem kind of mixed on it in other threads.

Its totally worth it.

This is especially after playing 85 hours just on the BASE game (not including DLC and Comrades) - oh and I got platinum from it too (was my first game to get a plat lol).

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
The complete edition: 100% Yay. I recommend you to read the true ending light novel if you care about the story though. This novel tells the ending you would get with the complete package of expansions that were canceled. Sad because it's a really fulfilling ending

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yay, but not a yay where I can openly encourage anyone else to try it and expect them to enjoy it as much as I did.

It's a very flawed game and walking away from it completely satisfied isn't a guarantee.

That said, its strong elements really resonated with me -- I enjoyed the art style and the main party a lot, I enjoyed finding cool locales in the open world portion of the game, and I ultimately dug the combat (it took a while to feel like I had really learned how to play, though).

The story is a hot mess, the open world doesn't actually have much to do in it other than combat encounters and occasional cool locales (it's far more sparse than other open world games that have populated the market since before its release, IMO), and the characters are always going to be at the mercy of the player's tastes and from what I've gathered in discussion, the four main characters are NOT everyone's cup of tea.

I platinumed the game and bought the DLC but I actually never played the DLC. I haven't actually returned to the game since the launch window, actually. I keep trying to set aside time for another playthrough but the admitted tedium of the game is no longer countered by my genuine curiosity to push forward in the main narrative -- i.e. it's something I find quite difficult to engage with for a replay, but I did value my initial encounter with the game and still hold it in a favorable light... just not in a way that I can really advocate to others.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty bad. Kudos to the incredible OST and a very cool post-game dungeon, however.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV problems go WAY beyond the story.

1- It has a massive open world that is mostly empty. World building is terrible. Outposts are mostly identical.

2- the battle system is the definition of look over substance. You can win the game without dying ever if you have basic economic instinct.

3- the Quests are extremely repetitive, uninteresting, and hollow. Majority of them are mindless.

4- Cup noodles.

FFX is a better time investment.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nay.

I've tried multiple times to get into the game and every single time, I'm disappointed.

- A boring and empty open world.
- A potentially good story ruined by terrible story telling.
- My least favorite battle system in the entire series.

And that isn't even going into my frustration trying to play the game from the technical issues running on PS4 Pro at launch to the frustrating additions to the story overtime. It always felt like I was trying to play an unfinished game.

Roxoriku

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
A slightly tepid yay? I enjoyed FFXV when it launched and found it a mostly charming and fun experience. I actually plan to replay it on the PS5 this holiday season!

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Meh?

A true diamond in the rough - the combat feels interesting at first but IMO never quite delivers, the story is great but narration and execution are the most terrible mess, and its technical ambitions proved to be too much of a burden for modern systems.

If nothing I'd replay the story on PS5 if it got a graphical mode equivalent to PS4 "Quality" but at 60 fps + drastically cut down loadings.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it more than VIIR. XV has the best main party from the mainline series, give it a shot.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
FFXIII killed any FF boner I could have had since. Couple that with this really being an FFXIII spinoff (pardon me, threw up in my mouth a little) originally and I stayed away from it.

Until Game Pass. 77 hours later, probably second or third fave mainline FF game.

But tbf, I liked it mostly for the grinding. (I think I was at hour 55 when I left on a boat to the next place). The story was dumb, the world mashing real life present day stuff didn't work for me, and, the characters werent cuppa tea. Monsters were huge and game looked pretty though.

Also, I didn't choose to do that near end-game dungeon by myself. My old housemate said that's where he quit, but I had the new option and he never did (what an advert for 'don't buy games at launch' lol)

But yay for me, can understand if big fucking nay for many others.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yay only if you just stick to the critical path and play the DLCs in order. Avoid the open world and sidequests.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
FFXIII killed any FF boner I could have had since. Couple that with this really being an FFXIII spinoff (pardon me, threw up in my mouth a little) originally and I stayed away from it.

Until Game Pass. 77 hours later, probably second or third fave mainline FF game.

But tbf, I liked it mostly for the grinding. (I think I was at hour 55 when I left on a boat to the next place). The story was dumb, the world mashing real life present day stuff didn't work for me, and, the characters werent cuppa tea. Monsters were huge and game looked pretty though.

Also, I didn't choose to do that near end-game dungeon by myself. My old housemate said that's where he quit, but I had the new option and he never did (what an advert for 'don't buy games at launch' lol)

But yay for me, can understand if big fucking nay for many others.

To be fair it was pretty much only a spinoff in name only lol

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was absolutely dreadful. But, I don't know, I played it at launch like a sucker and I guess I got the worst experience possible for my trouble. I have no idea what kind of experience you'd have if you played it now with all the patches and changed story content and DLC included.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I didnt hate it but I also didnt love it.

Though I gotta say, I surprisingly enjoyed the camping / cooking stuff a lot. There was something really cozy about going on a road trip with your boys and camping at night in front of some cool location.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
It's alright, better than XIII at least imo. But kinda felt rushed towards the end. FFVIIR improves on the FFXV fighting mechanics in every way.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
When I played at D1 was a big nay and probably one of the worst jrpg I have played.
The story is somewhat absent, things happen and you don't know why. Before playing the game you should watch a movie (kingsglaive) and the anime and still I didn't feel like I had the full picture.
The first half of the game is rather boring, exploring is not bad per se but you're limited in the things you can do: the second half is "linear" and possibly even worse cause the plot become way more fucked up.
Our of all characters of the story, only the four party members gain some sort of development, Noctis is cool as a FF protagonist but that's that.
Dungeons are good and probably some of the best of the series, but the battle system is too simplistic and become dull and predictable after the first ten hours.
All in all only the dungeons and the ost are the only things I could save, but this is my experience playing the game back in 2016 at D1, maybe Square did some miracle and put in the piece of the plot that were missing (but I don't think the game is in any condition to become "good" just with a few patches, it's the concept itself that is rather problematic)

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Nay.

It did give me this funny memory though.
I asked a friend what they thought of the ending after they beat it. They were so mad that it "just ended" out of nowhere. I was like "what? They die and Noctus gets reunited with his girl". She then proceeds to say wtf and that's not the ending that she got.

I guess what we didn't realize was that they had added onto the ending post launch.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Nay.

It did give me this funny memory though.
I asked a friend what they thought of the ending after they beat it. They were so mad that it "just ended" out of nowhere. I was like "what? They die and Noctus gets reunited with his girl". She then proceeds to say wtf and that's not the ending that she got.

I guess what we didn't realize was that they had added onto the ending post launch.
The ending was never changed. Lmao

And good job on posting the ending of the game where someone asks if they should start playing the game.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Great looking world and combat but boring to explore and fight. I think the characters are surprisingly good and it has some amazing moments here and there. Stellar soundtrack too.

I'd say it's worth a shot.

However, I've also only played the game at its launch and it's been off my radar since. I have zero idea what's actually changed since then, but I know the DLC and patches lasted a while.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
The ending was never changed. Lmao

And good job on posting the ending of the game where someone asks if they should start playing the game.
After googling it, I guess there's two endings based off some picture you picked at whatever moment throughout the game? I could have swore it was added after but honestly it's been 3 years so who knows.

Either way I got the wedding scene and she didn't which led to some funny banter between us.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
After googling it, I guess there's two endings based off some picture you picked at whatever moment throughout the game? I could have swore it was added after but honestly it's been 3 years so who knows.
Everyone gets that scene and it's been in the game since launch. The only explanation is that she skipped cutscenes.

ichigoww

Apr 22, 2018
My personal take, based on my playthrough that is not over yet (had to leave the game on stand by a long time ago, because of real life and backlog priorities):

Bad things:
  • Combat is way too simple
  • Magic and summon systems have probably the most bland implementation in the FF main series
  • Story is all over the place.
  • There's a shit-ton of boring side-quests (which you can just ignore, so this isn't that much of an issue)
  • There's close to no difficulty on normal, haven't played on hard. And some of the features implemented post-launch make the game even easier.
  • The world map feels empty, there's only like one big town and that's it. There are some cool landmarks here and there though
Good things:
  • Ost is super good
  • The game can be really pretty.
  • Characters are somewhat interesting and likeable
  • Eng dub is really good.
  • Driving around on the jeep/buggy/off-road car? is fun.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely adore FFXV but it's hard not to walk away from it without a disappointed feeling by what it could've been.

Still worth a playthrough.

Hellfire is still incredible to this day.
it's up there with dancing mad and one winged angel.

Edit:
Just read through the thread and I'm pleasently surprised by all the yay's. For a while it felt like I was the only one who really enjoyed the game.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this game so polarizing? As a person who has only played one 3D Final Fantasy (VII Remake), I never know who to trust.
Multiple reasons. A lot of people, including me, played at launch where the game felt like it was missing a ton of stuff from story to mechanics and content and felt incomplete.

Even after all the updates and DLC, the combat is still more flash than anything else and piss easy so just that aspect will be polarizing.

Poor treatment of some of its female characters and the main party being all male sucks. The bros aren't bad and some of them have good character development but I feel overall it was a step back from the more varied parties of previous FF. Still better than 13's cast though.

The music and graphics are great for sure though.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Let's just say it's as good as Final Fantasy 7 Remake..:

damn I just don't like final fantasy these days.Huge nay for me

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
It's a hot mess held together by bandaids and desperation.

Probably one of the worst numbered entries, but it's still worth a playthough, especially if it's on Gamepass.

FWIW, I played it and beat it on launch week, so it was before all of the patches that added in cutscenes and the DLC. Never bothered to look back after all that stuff came out.

Absolutely loved FFVIIR though. Easily my GOTY so far and washed away the bitter taste that FFXV left in my mouth.