• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reporting back. I get great performance (50-65 FPS) throughout the map (slightly less in Duscae region) with the latest ffxv update, removed special k mod, and 60 FPS cap in game. I also use gsync. I tested by driving through the map.

The only hitching I stutters I got while driving across the map was when it would rain and suddenly .... my Regalia skin would change. What on earth? Lol. It changed from the cool black color to white and purple, almost like it changed colors when it was went. But that change caused the stutter for sure. Didn't notice others. Tried twice even after rebooting pc.

Pretty excited with the improvements.

Gtx-1070
I7-7700hq
16 gb ram
Nvidia Drivers: 388.59 (I can't seem to use any of the new drivers yet because it screws with my g-sync; they cause weird green-artifacts in bright spots when g-sync is active)

Edit: I still sometimes have to restart my game when the silly keyboard/mouse/gamepay switching happens. That causes major stuttering. May re-install special K again if it keeps happening. If I turn off "GUIDE" will this fix it?

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Reporting back. I get great performance (50-65 FPS) throughout the map (slightly less in Duscae region) with the latest ffxv update, removed special k mod, and 60 FPS cAp in game. I also use gsync. I tested by driving through the map.

The only hitching I stutters I got while driving across the map was when it would rain and suddenly .... my Regalia skin would change. What on earth? Lol. It changed from the cool black color to white and purple, almost like it changed colors when it was went. But that change caused the stutter for sure. Didn't notice others. Tried twice even after rebooting pc.

Gtx-1070
I7-7700hq
16 gb ram
Are you by chance using the Leviathan skin for Regalia?

That's how it is for me too. I thought it's working as intended, like, it's a unique skin that changes color according to weather.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone agree with this guide for this game? http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html
There is nothing particulary wrong with it, just that it's a generic guide, and most of these settings won't have any effect on several games unless given specific compatibility bits with NVInspector.

I do not recommend manually removing your GPU driver, unless you really know what you are doing and for what reason.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone playing this game with HDR? Yesterday, HDR was perfect but since the patch, the whites are bright bright bright.

I am. This tends to happen after Windows updates and Nvidia driver updates for me. Go into Nvidia control panel and reset your color settings even if they look like they are set correctly. Do this until the colors look normal again and not over saturated. Last time I had the problem I had to reboot and then reset the colors. Never use "Default" color settings.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there another way to stop mouse/gamepad switching - not using special-k? So I stopped using the special K mod after the last FFXV update through steam, because it seemed like the performance issued had improved. The only thing that happens [sometimes] is the stuttering caused by the mouse/keyboard/gamepad random switching. Sometimes if I restart the game it works fine. Would like to know the actual cause to save time.

Asian Oni

Oct 27, 2017
Is there another way to stop mouse/gamepad switching - not using special-k? So I stopped using the special K mod after the last FFXV update through steam, because it seemed like the performance issued had improved. The only thing that happens [sometimes] is the stuttering caused by the mouse/keyboard/gamepad random switching. Sometimes if I restart the game it works fine. Would like to know the actual cause to save time.
Does it happen after using Ansel ?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Still trying to figure out the best non crash settings regarding TRAM. I had it on HIGH and made it to 5 hours of gametime. I had it on AVERAGE and I made it to 1-1.5 hours. Gonna try HIGHEST now...

8gb of ram with no other applications open.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I successfully installed the extra ram in my laptop. So now, with the game on an SSD and 16 GB of ram, I have completely eliminated stuttering and loading issues. I just played a battle where I was warping long distances, fighting, and my game sticks to 1080p 30fps with pretty good settings for my rig (Kabby lake i5/ GTX 1050). My performance and visual quality is a step above base PS4, so I'm pretty satisfied.

I have not had crashing issues, although I've not really been able to play the game for more than an hour at a time. But I was watching the ram, and it was hovering just over 8 GB used (system ram) and my vram was always in check (TRAM on High).

It's time to dig in.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I successfully installed the extra ram in my laptop. So now, with the game on an SSD and 16 GB of ram, I have completely eliminated stuttering and loading issues. I just played a battle where I was warping long distances, fighting, and my game sticks to 1080p 30fps with pretty good settings for my rig (Kabby lake i5/ GTX 1050). My performance and visual quality is a step above base PS4, so I'm pretty satisfied.

I have not had crashing issues, although I've not really been able to play the game for more than an hour at a time. But I was watching the ram, and it was hovering just over 8 GB used (system ram) and my vram was always in check (TRAM on High).

It's time to dig in.

Yea but what is your maximum ram?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1080Ti finally arrived today, installed it and cranked up the game to max settings, both in 1080p and 1440p.

Results were pretty, but also spotty: I still had the game hitch up whenever I was moving, or when someone's conversation popped up, and particularly when I warped. Once again, it seemed to be a case of once the thing/place/action loaded up once, it wouldn't hitch the second time. My fan also got pretty loud while testing this out too.

Could the issue be where it's installed? It's currently on my SSD so that shouldn't be an issue. Or is this because of a weak CPU and why overclocking should be my next step?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here with AMD cards? I think the latest Adrenaline drivers released causes the game to CTD after awhile. Apparently reverting back to the previous release resolves it.

jorimt

Mar 8, 2018
1080Ti finally arrived today, installed it and cranked up the game to max settings, both in 1080p and 1440p.

Results were pretty, but also spotty: I still had the game hitch up whenever I was moving, or when someone's conversation popped up, and particularly when I warped. Once again, it seemed to be a case of once the thing/place/action loaded up once, it wouldn't hitch the second time. My fan also got pretty loud while testing this out too.

Could the issue be where it's installed? It's currently on my SSD so that shouldn't be an issue. Or is this because of a weak CPU and why overclocking should be my next step?
You're not going to eliminate frametime spikes in this sort of game, no matter how powerful your GPU is. The better your GPU, the higher your average framerate, and the better your CPU/faster your RAM, the higher your minimum framerate, and thus, in turn, the possible reduction of frametime spikes' occurrence and duration.

While frametime spikes still occur on consoles, they are usually less noticeable, mainly because, (A), consoles have unified memory architecture (e.g. no swapping of assets from DRAM/VRAM/pagefile, thus, unlike PC, they are a single shared pool tuned specifically for fixed console hardware per game), and (B), most of these open-world games with heavy asset streaming run at 30 fps on consoles, where 50ms+ frametime spikes during asset loads are much less visible at a 33.3ms render target than they are at a 16.6ms or lower target (e.g. the higher the average framerate, the more obvious the drops are when they occur).

I've got a i7-8700k, 1080 Ti, 16GB of DDR4 3200MHz RAM with tight timings, and a stupidly clean PC with minimal background processes and no active overlays, and no matter my system or in-game settings, I experiences full 1 to 2 second stutter when this game streams in new assets, while other times, the stutter only lasts for milliseconds in the same instances.

It's the game. In fact, it's pretty much any open world game with asset streaming. Some just do it better than others.

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
LOD in spots is just horrendous, nothing like watching something (in this case, SE's comically lame product placement with the American Express sticker on shop windows) Noctis is standing next to keep switching from low level blurry mess to clear with just a slight camera movement.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reporting back. I get great performance (50-65 FPS) throughout the map (slightly less in Duscae region) with the latest ffxv update, removed special k mod, and 60 FPS cap in game. I also use gsync. I tested by driving through the map.

Gtx-1070
I7-7700hq
16 gb ram
Nvidia Drivers: 388.59 (I can't seem to use any of the new drivers yet because it screws with my g-sync; they cause weird green-artifacts in bright spots when g-sync is active)

Edit: I still sometimes have to restart my game when the silly keyboard/mouse/gamepay switching happens. That causes major stuttering. May re-install special K again if it keeps happening. If I turn off "GUIDE" will this fix it?

Ok, new report. Same settings. But in Cave fights with multiple enemies my FPS couldn't hold up at all. So, I lowered my resolution from 125% to 120% and noticed an improvement. I can't tell much difference on my monitor apart from a little more aliasing on fences and stuff. Worth it for the performance consistency.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

no, the game is just that. i have a 1080ti with 64gb ram! and shit still stutters some times and drops to the 50s. it doesnt happen often so when it does you can tell.

Dremo

Oct 27, 2017
Man getting so many crashes today. Haven't even played an hour and already crashed 3 times. Downloaded that Special K, but didn't seem to help. That new patch also messed up the button prompts, now I only get generic controller icons. Using Windows 10, GPU is GTX 1070 and CPU is i5 3570K. Performance is better than in the demo though. Still in the first area of the game, about 7 hours clocked in. Feels bad.

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
Man getting so many crashes today. Haven't even played an hour and already crashed 3 times. Downloaded that Special K, but didn't seem to help. That new patch also messed up the button prompts, now I only get generic controller icons. Using Windows 10, GPU is GTX 1070 and CPU is i5 3570K. Performance is better than in the demo though. Still in the first area of the game, about 7 hours clocked in. Feels bad.
Try lowering your cpu overclock, i was using 4.4Ghz on my 3570K early in the game and got several crashes, lowered the clock to 4.2Ghz and never had it crash again in more than 25 hours so far, the game seems to be very sensitive to cpu overclocking.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017

Sorry to hear that, I guess an obvious question but are you overclocked(esp. manually)? Everyone's configuration is different, but I've had one crash in 50 hrs of gameplay, and it was when I was overclocked (although others here have reported crashes without manual overclocks, if I'm not mistaken)

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
I'm getting those crashes too with specialK mod making the mgs ! noise and making a error log. It's making the game unplayable cause there's no saving for long stretches and on top of that it's the memory leak crashes they aren't even commenting on. SE needs to do something about their Q&A cause if cannot believe bugs that are so widespread and common would get through a proper Q&A.

Dremo

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear that, I guess an obvious question but are you overclocked(esp. manually)? Everyone's configuration is different, but I've had one crash in 50 hrs of gameplay, and it was when I was overclocked (although others here have reported crashes without manual overclocks, if I'm not mistaken)
Cpu isn't overclocked, but gpu has been slighlty overclocked using manufacturers software. Could cpu overclock causing it?

Game stops rendering sometimes when I change from fullscreen to borderless. And I have gotten greenscreened crashes a few times after which tv loses connection to my pc and have to reboot computer for to get it recognize it again. Even taking out hdmi cable out and back in won't work.

Should you play it in borderless or in fullscreen for HDR to work properly? Seems like colours are more washes out in in fullscreen.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The game is playing really well on my laptop now that I upgraded to an SSD and added more ram.

EDIT: dammit I posted this in the wrong thread again. Too many FF threads, lol.

As to an update, however, I had a chance to play several hours in a row and no crashing or memory leak problems like some people are having. All peachy here.

I did encounter the Galden Quay lighting bug, though, which I hope they fix soon.

Last edited:

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Cpu isn't overclocked, but gpu has been slighlty overclocked using manufacturers software. Could cpu overclock causing it?

Game stops rendering sometimes when I change from fullscreen to borderless. And I have gotten greenscreened crashes a few times after which tv loses connection to my pc and have to reboot computer for to get it recognize it again. Even taking out hdmi cable out and back in won't work.

Should you play it in borderless or in fullscreen for HDR to work properly? Seems like colours are more washes out in in fullscreen.

-I think this eliminates CPU or GPU overclocking as a potential issue. CPU overclocks may cause crashes, but from my understanding/experience they tend to be system level BSOD type crashes, which is different from the types of crashes you and others described. And for most consumer brands, shipped GPU overclocks tend to be extensively tested, so while it's not impossible to be a cause, I think it's again unlikely.

-The type of crash that you describe however seems (at least in my uneducated opinion) to be on the GPU or driver level. On the driver level I would recommend updating to the latest drivers or (if you are on the latest drivers), rolling them back, and seeing what happens.

If that doesn't help, then I would look to your GPU in terms of temperature and power. Specifically power, making sure the connectors are firmly in place on the card and attached to your PSU(also clean out any dust that may be on your GPU while you're there). A cooling failure can lead to unsafe temperatures triggering the failsafe on the card (although if I'm not mistaken this would probably trigger a system level shutdown,) You can check temps using something like MSI afterburner, if you are not using it already.

If FFXV is the only graphically intensive game where you have this issue then I think these GPU related fixes are less likely to be helpful than the driver ones, but you can still try if you like.

-Sorry,I personally don't have much experience/understanding on the best configuration for HDR, as I use a non-HDR screen.

Just some of my 2 cents, but I'm sure there are others with a more knowledgeable opinion that may have their own thoughts. My suspicion though is that this game may be exposing some underlying issues in your system.

Last edited:

Dremo

Oct 27, 2017
-I think this eliminates CPU or GPU overclocking as a potential issue. CPU overclocks may cause crashes, but from my understanding/experience they tend to be system level BSOD type crashes, which is different from the types of crashes you and others described. And for most consumer brands, shipped GPU overclocks tend to be extensively tested, so while it's not impossible to be a cause, I think it's again unlikely.

-The type of crash that you describe however seems (at least in my uneducated opinion) to be on the GPU or driver level. On the driver level I would recommend updating to the latest drivers or (if you are on the latest drivers), rolling them back, and seeing what happens.

If that doesn't help, then I would look to your GPU in terms of temperature and power. Specifically power, making sure the connectors are firmly in place on the card and attached to your PSU(also clean out any dust that may be on your GPU while you're there). A cooling failure can lead to unsafe temperatures triggering the failsafe on the card (although if I'm not mistaken this would probably trigger a system level shutdown,) You can check temps using something like MSI afterburner, if you are not using it already.

If FFXV is the only graphically intensive game where you have this issue then I think these GPU related fixes are less likely to be helpful than the driver ones, but you can still try if you like.

-Sorry,I personally don't have much experience/understanding on the best configuration for HDR, as I use a non-HDR screen.

Just some of my 2 cents, but I'm sure there are others with a more knowledgeable opinion that may have their own thoughts. My suspicion though is that this game may be exposing some underlying issues in your system.
Cheers! I haven't cleaned my computer in a year or so I'm sure it's a bit dusty in there. But the last the game crashed gpu temps were 58 celsius.

The last game I played was Witcher 3, remember it crashing probably once. Haven't played graphically intensive games that much. Maybe I'll try Crysis or something today and see if it crashes.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was able to play for like a hour yesterday with out a crash by disabling assets and lowering Tram to high. Was probably going to crash soon anyway, will play some more later tonight and see.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finished the game, clocked 60hours+ into the game, no memory leak and only crashes I had were me trying to alt-tab, ram usage stayed at 6.5-7.5gig the entire game.

i5-3570k @ 4.1ghz and 1060gtx, game got really demanding at some parts when I was fighting shit and it'd drop below 30fps, but the graphics are so good I didn't want to change settings, lol

ima just roam around and explore a bit, I wanna keep playing because of how pretty the game looks

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Haven't crashed at all in 35 hours and now crashed twice in the space of an hour in Insomnia.

The area just seems bad for it :/

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game is running like ass for me, even with all the Nvidia settings off.
1440p
1080ti
i7-7700k
16GB of Ram

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have everything else set to Highest. It's just so stuttery

Last edited:

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah looks like you're right so I reverted it back to the default, I don't like how it looks. It was a really bright white though, the effect doesn't look very natural to me.
My default car skin does this. It is not a lighting thing. Randomly (and almost always when it rains) the game will stutter and lo! I now have a purple and white skin regalia. Lol. At least from my side, it's a bug.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
My default car skin does this. It is not a lighting thing. Randomly (and almost always when it rains) the game will stutter and lo! I now have a purple and white skin regalia. Lol. At least from my side, it's a bug.
I thought they were right because I reverted it back to the default and it didn't happen when it rained again, but yeah, it was a bright purple and white Regalia. So it sounds like I ran into the same glitch.

Guess I'll see if it happens again. I hope not, it's a minor bug but it's going to bother me if it happens as commonly here as it does for you!

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Wow so the 30fps hair bug is true. If i run at 60 hair effects on characters are drastically reduced. hopefully they fix this.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
You're not going to eliminate frametime spikes in this sort of game, no matter how powerful your GPU is. The better your GPU, the higher your average framerate, and the better your CPU/faster your RAM, the higher your minimum framerate, and thus, in turn, the possible reduction of frametime spikes' occurrence and duration.

While frametime spikes still occur on consoles, they are usually less noticeable, mainly because, (A), consoles have unified memory architecture (e.g. no swapping of assets from DRAM/VRAM/pagefile, thus, unlike PC, they are a single shared pool tuned specifically for fixed console hardware per game), and (B), most of these open-world games with heavy asset streaming run at 30 fps on consoles, where 50ms+ frametime spikes during asset loads are much less visible at a 33.3ms render target than they are at a 16.6ms or lower target (e.g. the higher the average framerate, the more obvious the drops are when they occur).

I've got a i7-8700k, 1080 Ti, 16GB of DDR4 3200MHz RAM with tight timings, and a stupidly clean PC with minimal background processes and no active overlays, and no matter my system or in-game settings, I experiences full 1 to 2 second stutter when this game streams in new assets, while other times, the stutter only lasts for milliseconds in the same instances.

It's the game. In fact, it's pretty much any open world game with asset streaming. Some just do it better than others.

This is very true and something that people are just going to have to accept this point.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a stupid question, but here it goes...

Installed the SpecialK mod, and now my Xbox controller icons/prompts are now just generic icons. How can I get them back?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game takes forever to fucking load on my machine (about 5 minutes). I only have one stick of RAM at 8GB (the other slot is obstructed by the heatsink, lol). I'm resorting to ReadyBoost to see if I get any gains, but if anyone has any optimization tricks, let me know. It would be cool if my GPU used VRAM to help out with these specific processes.

3770k, GTX970.

Otherwise, it runs almost maxed out at 1080p30 (shadows set to average and some Nvidia features disabled), but needs quite a few concessions to run at 60.

Edit: Great news, Readyboost™ fans. I got a significant speed bump to loading. After that, I set my other two drives to ante up some virtual memory. Now the game is smooth sailing.

Last edited: