• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
I7 7820X
32 Gigs DDR4 3467mhz
GTX1080 Ti
Gsync Asus 27" 1440P native.

Running Windows 10. All settings maxed out in the ingame settings. Activated High Specs Assets via config file. Applied a reshade preset. And finally, added extra options from Luminous tool. No K special crap. Runs worse with it for me.

Getting between 50-80 fps everywhere!! I'm on chapter 6. Here is a little clip I made with Nvidia Shadowplay. Please consider that it plays about 10 fps more without the recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=80&v=Vcvv8hSqkd8

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Has the atrociously bad stuttering from the demo been fixed? And I don't mean the bad frame-pacing that makes even a solid 60 feel inconsistent, I mean the actual huge multiple-frame stutters when traversing by foot or during fights. And no, it's not the input device switching stutters since those last even longer and you can see the UI change.

I tried using SpecialK with the demo but I don't think it works properly. Honestly it seems like it runs even worse. With the performance I'm getting out of the demo, stuttering-wise, the game is completely unplayable and one of the worst PC ports I've seen in the last 10 years.

I have an MSI GT62VR. GTX1070 8GB, SSD, 16GB DDR3, i7 6700hq. Fully updated nVidia drivers and Windows 10. Tried G-Sync on and it caused even more issues so I'm keeping it off. This kind of performance on this kind of setup is just unacceptable.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
After playing around with the game at 1440p now, running at a locked 60fps w/ VXAO enabled seems just out of reach on my GTX 1080. A shame, too, since it makes such a huge difference.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So I tried the following:

- Turned off g-sync and turned on frame limiting to 57 - This stopped the jittery video playback and videos played smoothly (naturally gameplay stutters)
- Kept g-sync on, v-sync on, frame limiting to 57 - causes jittery video playback (gameplay is great!)
- G-sync on, no frame limit - causes jittery video playback
- G-sync on, no frame limit, v-sync off - causes jittery video playback and also terrible screen tearing during videos

It seems that g-sync is the problem. any other thoughts?

Okay that's odd, sadly I can't really help you more there since I don't have a G-sync monitor :/ Maybe write it as a bug-report to Square?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The Special K mod makes the game run worse for me. I just tested it standing in this spot:
201803161428221.jpg

201803161429371.jpg

Without the mod I get constant 60 FPS regardless of where I'm pointing the camera. With the mod, I get drops to 52 FPS when looking in certain directions.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
can you try that without afterburner and rtss? use the ingame fps counter instead.

i think they dont like each other.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All settings on or at max, except for the following:

LOD: Average
TRAM: High
Lighting: High
Shadows: High

Only using the ShadowLib option from the NV effects. (I'm still iffy on hairworks.)

Using Special K's mod, I have the framerate limit set to 60, and the in-game option is at 120. I also have RTSS disabled for the FF15 executable. I'm at chapter 5 now and my performance is pretty damn consistent. Some minor hiccups every now and then, but I think that's the game loading in new assets. (Installed on an SSD.)

There's no way you're not dropping frames below 60 with a 1080 @1440p even with those settings

I'm also playing @1440p with a 1080 (+6700k, both OC, and with a SSD) at similar settings but without any gameworks option and am currently at chapter 3 and this area for example is really demanding, I can drop in the low 50s - high 40s at times with multiples ennemies on screen

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way you're not dropping frames below 60 with a 1080 @1440p even with those settings

I'm also playing @1440p with a 1080 (+6700k, both OC, and with a SSD) at similar settings but without any gameworks option and am currently at chapter 3 and this area for example is really demanding, I can drop in the low 50s - high 40s at times with multiples ennemies on screen

Without HairWorks enabled, I definitely stay at 60 in that area. Also, I never said it's a locked 60fps 100% of the time. I certainly don't drop into the 40s however.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Altissia witg VXAO is really demanding, tanks the fps even more than Duscae. Would make for some amazing screenshots, if they would fix the Ansel water bug.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, if you are not using LumaSharpen, you're doing it wrong. I'm playing @1080p 110% and I really can't imagine a smoother image. Allowed me to come down from 125% which really helped with the performance.

Last edited:

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
God i hate that they basically tied every post processing effect to "Filtering" i just can't keep it enabled cause the blur and DOF kills my eyes but if i set it to low i also disable nvidia flow and some other pp effects i would like to keep, i tried enabling flow separately in the luminous config tool which actually works but this also automatically sets filtering back to average and enables all the other crap again, i probably just have to life without it until someone figures out how to mod these shaders.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
So do some effects close to the camera cause anyone elses fps to tank into single digits? When the optional boss in the dungeon where the ever illustrious regalia quest takes place casts the toad spell my frames dropped to like 5 with a gtx 1080.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So do some effects close to the camera cause anyone elses fps to tank into single digits? When the optional boss in the dungeon where the ever illustrious regalia quest takes place casts the toad spell my frames dropped to like 5 with a gtx 1080.

Some specific enemies also make my framerate tank (1080 Ti at 1440P or 4K). Ice and fire effects mostly. Probably running on CUDA threads?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
OK so decided to test 1440p instead of 4k and I maxed everything out and turned on VXAO.

60fps but jesus. Everything is so blurry now! What is causing this? Surely it can't just be resolution??

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
My extra ram is supposed to come in a few days. I'm gonna wait to play the game until then, and hopefully another patch will be out as well.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Downloading now! Gonna try it out. Does it work with Special K? If not, I'll uninstall Special K for now.
Not sure if it works with Special K, because Special K still refuses to work for me, but it is redundant really as long as you disable Steam overlay manually and don't switch between mouse/keyboard and joystick all the time.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK so decided to test 1440p instead of 4k and I maxed everything out and turned on VXAO.

60fps but jesus. Everything is so blurry now! What is causing this? Surely it can't just be resolution??

VXAO will take you a giant hit in the cities
It's not feasible VXAO right now with the current gen hardware.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Traded in my RX 470 for a GTX 1060 (paid $70 on top). Gonna see what kind of a difference that extra 2GB VRAM is going to make. Keeping my expectations in check, but I'm hopeful =P

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
With the latest Special L and AMD Drivers, I've been able to keep a mainly consistent 60fps during gameplay (only dropping to 45 at lowest during certain cutscenes). Been experimenting with threads to find the best balance of performance vs. stuttering.

Will try the game without framecap and AMD Enhanced Sync later on.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017

It´s the filtering. Set it to low and you`ll get a crisper image but you loose some neat effects. So just try Sweetfx/Reshade.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Downloading now! Gonna try it out. Does it work with Special K? If not, I'll uninstall Special K for now.

Unfortunately not there is a special version of Reshade for Special K but i never got it work either.

Btw there is another method to add sharpening with a negative LOD which should work pretty well with TAA blur in Nvidia Inspector:
  1. Select the driver profile settings button
  2. Set the profile to "Final Fantasy XV" from the drop down.
  3. Set Anti Aliasing mode to "Override any Application setting" and set "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" to "AA_MODE_REPLAY_MODE_ALL"
  4. Set "Texture filtering - LOD Bias (DX) to whatever you like -1 to -1.5 should be enough more then that can be pretty demanding (and too sharp).
  5. Hit Apply and close the inspector

Last edited:

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I have been having a lot of game crashes since turning on spatial audio (dolby atmos). I went from one random crash in 25 hours or so to crashes every hour. I guess I should be turning that setting off. Posting to maybe help someone else.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sad I had to turn off VXAO to keep closer 60 once I hit Duscae, it looked so nice...

The only place I really see my 1080 hitting 100% is while driving in Duscae. I haven't hit Altissia yet, but I can imagine it could be a heavy hitter with how dense it is.

I also had drops into the low 50s during the
Mindflayer fight at the end of the ice cave behind the waterfall near Listallum

Maybe all the effects? I'm not sure exactly

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beware that even by disabling Steam overlay, I still get crashes.
If I play at 1440p, I can play for lot's of hours.

At 4K resolution, I last up one hour only before crashing.

I have 16GB of RAM and a 1080 Ti so I shoulnd't be memory starved. Also using Special K.

Squeenix really needs to fix this.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
60 hours and still no crash. I'm starting to wonder if my copy is actually an anomaly.

I play it 100% with a controller in big picture mode, if that makes any difference.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I don't get any crashes either regardless of how much I play. Well, I got one once when maxing up absolutely everything to see how it looked, crashed instantly when applying, but after restarting the game it worked fine maxed out. Probably a glitch. Other than that, zero crashes.

i7 6700k
16 GB RAM

1440p, 100% scaling, everything on high, Nvidia stuff disabled except Turf, TAA, assets enabled

cruiserrr

Feb 15, 2018
I had constant crashing within a few minutes of starting the game. This site said that this has something to do with the Nvidia settings or unstable overclocking. I reset my MSI settings and rolled back to the recent nvidia driver. My issue was fixed, hope this helps.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
my dualshock 4 v2 doesn't work even by disabling steam controller support. I need to buy another controller to play this game

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I finally connected my PC directly through HDMI to my OLED TV instead of using Gamestream just so I could test HDR implementation.

Amazing HDR, and I swear it even looks less blurry. Makes me think that this TAA implementation was more geared towards HDR rendering than SDR rendering.
Could just be placebo, but the image looked way less blurier with HDR on

Deleted member 19782

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get any crashes either regardless of how much I play. Well, I got one once when maxing up absolutely everything to see how it looked, crashed instantly when applying, but after restarting the game it worked fine maxed out. Probably a glitch. Other than that, zero crashes.

i7 6700k
16 GB RAM

1440p, 100% scaling, everything on high, Nvidia stuff disabled except Turf, TAA, assets enabled

FPS?

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Without HairWorks enabled, I definitely stay at 60 in that area. Also, I never said it's a locked 60fps 100% of the time. I certainly don't drop into the 40s however.

Big fights in that area will bring pretty much any GPU to its knees.
This guy is playing at highest settings (without VXAO) with a custom 1080 Ti running close to 2GHz and has trouble holding 60fps...at 1080p.
Vid from chap 3

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I finally connected my PC directly through HDMI to my OLED TV instead of using Gamestream just so I could test HDR implementation.

Amazing HDR, and I swear it even looks less blurry. Makes me think that this TAA implementation was more geared towards HDR rendering than SDR rendering.
Could just be placebo, but the image looked way less blurier with HDR on

Increase in constrast will look like sharpness.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I installed DS4 Windows once and it totally broke Steam's controller support for me. Had to uninstall the controller drivers entirely to fix it.