• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Where is this "SpecialK mini-mod version"?

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilt...d/sk_special_projects/SK_FFXV_DieAntiDebug.7z

Highly experimental.

Basically, I think he figured out why it's crashing.

Well, I re-wrote some of my thread code and now I see how this gme's anti-debug is making a mess of everything. I'm able to see the process split in two now in my logs.

At this point, I really think that whole thing needs to be removed ASAP.

I have found no locale leak, but given how the game is breaking debuggers, it's going to break a lot of thread-related stuff seemingly randomly. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?

This fix is highly experimental.

https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_special_projects/SK_FFXV_DieAntiDebug.7z

Run this, but don't expect the crash itself to go away. Only for me to be able to trace it finally.

EDIT: Also reports that an Nvidia hotfix is fixing the crashing issues:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4639/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-version-391.05

Deleted member 26462

User requested account closure
Oct 30, 2017
VXAO cannot be enabled in the demo and every test i've seen so far was done without any of the nvidia stuff enabled cause everyone knows it's a performance hog so no that's definitely not it this also wouldn't explain why only the steam version performs (much) worse as i allrdy said above the win store version runs almost 15% better for me at exactly the same settings.

So that explains the difference in performance between the demo and the final game, i thought VXAO enables when you modify the .ini file.

Do you think it's possible that a patch can erase the performance issues with the Steam API?

Oct 27, 2017
With TRAM at Highest and VXAO enabled, this sounds about right. I'd set TRAM to high as highest is a bit much for 1080s. For me, the Model LOD setting also drops some performance. I set this to average I believe.

Edit: Also using a GTX 1080 @ stock, only my 6700k is at 4.7. (Doubt that makes much difference.)

Hey thanks for the tips.

Is the in-game FPS counter reasonably accurate? I typically use the one built into steam but I've turned the steam overlay off.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So that explains the difference in performance between the demo and the final game, i thought VXAO enables when you modify the .ini file.

Do you think it's possible that a patch can erase the performance issues with the Steam API?

Probably they just need to reduce the steam api calls or whatever they do causing it dunno if they will do that but a new crack will probably sort it out sooner or later.

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does turning the Steam overlay off also disable Steam's controller input? If that's the case, does FFXV automatically detect DS4 controllers?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone able to get a locked 30 fps on a 1070 without microstutter when turning the camera? Or is everyone just dealing with it?

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Game is now fully cracked btw and the new p2p crack is also Denuvo free and the exe is newer then the one released to the public in the latest patch looks like some unprotected dev builds got leaked, seems like SE is on a roll here...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone able to get a locked 30 fps on a 1070 without microstutter when turning the camera? Or is everyone just dealing with it?

Are you describing the frame pacing problems? Oftentimes bad frame pacing can look like microstutter.
iirc the in-game frame limiter has problems (which I think was in the console releases as well?)
I'm capping at 60 via vsync but have the in-game limiter at 120 and it looks pretty decent for me. I'm on a 1080@1440p though, are you going for 4k@30 on a 1070?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Are you describing the frame pacing problems? Oftentimes bad frame pacing can look like microstutter.
iirc the in-game frame limiter has problems (which I think was in the console releases as well?)
I'm capping at 60 via vsync but have the in-game limiter at 120 and it looks pretty decent for me. I'm on a 1080@1440p though, are you going for 4k@30 on a 1070?

Sorry, this is in reference to my previous post:

So after trying everything over the past week, and I mean everything, I cannot get rid of microstutter with my 1070 with a locked 30 fps.

DXTory, RTSS, K mod, in game limiter, adjusting every setting from low to high, every nvidia refresh/vsync type, and every combination of all these things.

My test is rotating the camera while standing still. There is a bit more stutter when I have everything cranked to high, but reducing everything to low still gives visible micro hitching while rotating the camera.

If I'm running forward anywhere in Duscae I get the always present microstutter as well as hitching as it loads assets.

Other games run at a rock solid 60 fps at high settings on this machine (tested Prey, Dark Souls 3 and Shadow Warrior 2 just to make sure nothing was wrong with my system). FFXV has almost zero microstutter/frame pacing if playing at 60 fps locked in the first desert area. As soon as I hit Duscae, nothing gets rid of the microstutter.

I'm shelving it for now hoping Square fixes it. This port is really a bit shit.

(I5 7400, 1070ti, 16 gig RAM)

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
If possible, try forcing off the steam input config from BPM overlay and then restart the game.

7oto0aa.jpg

If you have steam input enabled, that should disable it for this specific game and just use xinput (assuming they used xinput).
I don't have the game so I can't test it and that's why the example pic is from FF12.

That's the only thing I can think of that could cause xbox pad not working without the overlay.

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope any frame rate limiter other than the ingame one (which is crap).

Haven't tested Special K though since I only have played the demo...
Special K seemed to mess with FMV playback during the Kingsglaive supercut at the end of chapter one. I've been having a bad time with it in general, though. It does very little on my end and frametiming is worse with it on than when I just use the in-game limiter - could just be something on my end not liking it, despite other Special K mods working wonderfully for me in the past.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sorry, this is in reference to my previous post:

So after trying everything over the past week, and I mean everything, I cannot get rid of microstutter with my 1070 with a locked 30 fps.

DXTory, RTSS, K mod, in game limiter, adjusting every setting from low to high, every nvidia refresh/vsync type, and every combination of all these things.

My test is rotating the camera while standing still. There is a bit more stutter when I have everything cranked to high, but reducing everything to low still gives visible micro hitching while rotating the camera.

If I'm running forward anywhere in Duscae I get the always present microstutter as well as hitching as it loads assets.

Other games run at a rock solid 60 fps at high settings on this machine (tested Prey, Dark Souls 3 and Shadow Warrior 2 just to make sure nothing was wrong with my system). FFXV has almost zero microstutter/frame pacing if playing at 60 fps locked in the first desert area. As soon as I hit Duscae, nothing gets rid of the microstutter.

I'm shelving it for now hoping Square fixes it. This port is really a bit shit.

(I5 7400, 1070ti, 16 gig RAM)
I have a 1070 ti with a i5-4690k (moderate OC) and I don't have constant stutters.

You're not talking about just immediately after loading a save, right? I mean it does stutter for like 15-30 seconds right after loading, but after I run around a bit then it's smooth.

I'm playing at 1080p with mostly High settings. For Nvidia effects, I only have Turf on.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1070 ti with a i5-4690k (moderate OC) and I don't have constant stutters.

You're not talking about just immediately after loading a save, right? I mean it does stutter for like 15-30 seconds right after loading, but after I run around a bit then it's smooth.

I'm playing at 1080p with mostly High settings. For Nvidia effects, I only have Turf on.

No, I spin the camera around to get everything loaded in. Once the framerate stabilizes after, I get constant microstutters when panning the camera that are not related to loading assets. This is at 1080p with the using 7 different frame locking solutions, from internal to Nvidia to RTSS.

Also setting everything to low, disabling HD assets. Nothing gets rid of it.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No, I spin the camera around to get everything loaded in. Once the framerate stabilizes after, I get constant microstutters when panning the camera that are not related to loading assets. This is at 1080p with the using 7 different frame locking solutions, from internal to Nvidia to RTSS.

Also setting everything to low, disabling HD assets. Nothing gets rid of it.
Ok well I definitely don't get constant stutters after the first minute.

I just use the in-game 120 fps limit setting and no third-party solutions.

I do not use HD Assets. (This is strictly an artistic choice after seeing that Digital Foundry video. I had it on before and didn't notice any framerate slowdown.)

However, I do close the following -- Steam Overlay, Razer Synapse, and turn off FFXV's framerate display. I've heard there are potential slowdowns with all three of those things.

I just use FRAPS instead to see my framerate.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Ok well I definitely don't get constant stutters after the first minute.

I just use the in-game 120 fps limit setting and no third-party solutions.

I do not use HD Assets. (This is strictly an artistic choice after seeing that Digital Foundry video. I had it on before and didn't notice any framerate slowdown.)

However, I do close the following -- Steam Overlay, Razer Synapse, and turn off FFXV's framerate display. I've heard there are potential slowdowns with all three of those things.

I just use FRAPS instead to see my framerate.

Have you made it to chapter 3 yet? I was running at a constant 60 fps with very little stutter up to that point. When I got to chapter 3 I was getting drops down to the low 50s all over the place, it became way too annoying so I had to lock at 30.

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If possible, try forcing off the steam input config from BPM overlay and then restart the game.

7oto0aa.jpg

If you have steam input enabled, that should disable it for this specific game and just use xinput (assuming they used xinput).
I don't have the game so I can't test it and that's why the example pic is from FF12.

That's the only thing I can think of that could cause xbox pad not working without the overlay.

that worked awesome, thank you

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have you made it to chapter 3 yet? I was running at a constant 60 fps with very little stutter up to that point. When I got to chapter 3 I was getting drops down to the low 50s all over the place, it became way too annoying so I had to lock at 30.
I just made it to Ch. 3 a day or two ago. I do think it's slightly lower framerate, but I was well above 60 in the first two chapters.

Tonight I'll turn FRAPS on and run around a bit in Ch. 3 and let you know.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
So I am playing this on my amd box with a Vega 64. It seems to be doing all the Nvidia stuff really well probably due to the compute nature of the card but the turf effects while show the grass trampling in chp 3 doesn't get completely trampled. Is that the same for Nvidia cards?

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
That Kaldaien guy just released a new version of his fix. Haven't tried it yet but figured I'd throw it out there since he uploaded it 10 minutes ago on the steam forums.
Link

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
33% boost? Huh. I'll have to try this when I get home.
Got on for a few minutes and got about a 6-7 fps boost if I had to make a good guess. Hammerhead isn't stuttering for me nor is running around anymore either. I haven't gone to the cities yet since I have other stuff I have to go do but this newer fix definitly has had a more noticeable impact than his other one did for me.

DrDaxxy

Mar 1, 2018
The "33% performance boost" part is a joke, you know.

Kaldaien said:
If by performance boost we are discussing SteamAPI (which is silly).

I cannot make any qualitative statements on the impact removing the anti-debug has on the performance of the rest of the game, just so we are clear.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
So disabling the Steam overlay removes much of the menu lag. So no complaints so far. Could have better frame pacing, but it looks much cleaner than PS4 Pro which I also played this on.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna try that anti-debug version. People are saying it is loading faster initially, which is good for me. For some reason the game takes a long time to start initially. I will see if this helps.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Is there a way to use Kaldaien`s mod with sweetfx? The mods` dxgi.dll does not work with my preset...

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
the kaldaien mod has been causing more problems than they are fixing for me. had the game crash many times after hearing the mgs alert sound (idk why that happens, but it happened a couple of times in the middle of gameplay) so i just uninstalled it :/

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
At this point it's probably easier to just grab the crack and be done with it, it's clearly the DRM causing these issues be it steam api or denuvo and kaldaien's mod is just a bandaid fix.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Nexusgamer has a comparison / analysis PC vs consoles, it's quite interesting.

Just watched it. Kind of a disappointing watch since they just compared basic scenes from the very beginning of the game. DF's comparison was more thorough with better actual comparison footage from different parts of the game.

Also here's the game tested on lower-end hardware at various resolutions and graphical settings.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you have both a gamepad and KB+M plugged in? I found that the game would constantly try to switch between kb and gamepad input (by looking at the hud and button icons which were flicking back and forth like a madman when i used the gamepad) It was making every input cause a annoying stutter. Fixed it by turning off KB+M inputs in SpecialK.

This is happening to me as well (button icons changing to kb/m icons), but turning them off in SpecialK didn't seem to work, unless I ticked the wrong settings. Is there a way to do it with .ini files or something?

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
What?
I'm using Windows 10. This is the option I mean:
1e5Captura.png

I have a 2560x1440 25" monitor. (Dell U2515H). My Windows scaling is set at 125%. I use the HD pack (therefore I have 4k cutscenes)

Before enabling this I was getting pixelated cutscenes. After enabling it they look properly.
Ahh ok. Yeah that's what we're talking about. Setting the application override for DPI. I'm also using the HD pack but I feel like I'm an anomaly. Every problem people seem to be having with the game I seem to not have. I think I'm just getting lucky. :P Maybe the resolution difference in our displays are key in this case, who knows. I give up. :P

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
So my only real issue is that you either have to live with jaggies or TAA with ghosting. FAA looks meh, TAA looks great, but feels meh.
And playing with the resolutions didn't help much as the performance drops massively. Wish they'd patch in another options :/

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally one hour and 59 minutes into the game I exited and asked myself how much fun I was having actually playing the game, and how much tinkering I was doing - and as with so many new games these days I said, fuck it, and went for the refund. Best policy that's ever been created for gamers. For once the gamers get placed ahead of the publishers and developers.

Oct 25, 2017
The debug 0.9.9.3 special k released today keeps on forcing the game to 0fps... which as I found out all the way back with the benchmark, crashes the game (in other games, this usually = unlocked fps, but not here). The only way to keep it from doing this is to open the dxgi config, change the fps - save, open the game, open another copy of the file again, change the fps back - save, and then lock the file to read only. MESS.

Performance/stuttering/loading did not noticeably improve. In fact, the on-time-rythmic-hitching issue returned. So I said fuck it, and rolled back to 0.9.9.

Finally finished chapter 1 (11 hours in game, 24 hours steam time because of retries and tech toubleshooting) - did all hunts, fought all major field enemies 1 time each (each giant type [let the sun do the job for me on the red guy], giant scorpion, ban-snatch), did all 3 dungeons (couldn't open them at the end of course). Reviving the guys at the last second so they don't fall behind on the EXP tip sure is time consuming/nerve-wracking. Decided to focus on AP (got almost all important all passives). The bioblaster poison ability is a time saver for the Ronin guy. Using the 3 fanfares+20% sandwich (major fights)+GQ Hotel, I wound up at 42K~ EXP: Level 1 >> level 24 with 667+ surplus AP to spend on other junk at the start of chapter 2. I tell ya, half the passive AP abilities (camping, food prep, pictures) rely heavily on camping - which effs up experience gain multiplier. Thank goodness for the Nixperience Band - how'd ya'll do this ish in 2016??? Been using Ragnarock 90% of the time for that 1+ AP per kill - this is now WARPSTRIKE XV, but I'm still having a lot of fun!

Am I overleveled? I don't plan on leveling again until the free stays in chapter 3 and 9. Idea is "No Mob EXP Grinding/Hotel Only/AP Monger/'Tourist' (one and done)" run.

Last edited:

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ignis' gameplay seems to tank my frame rate on my gtx1070. I usually get 60-70 FPS on high-ish settings but during his combat it drops to 40s