• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hmm at chapter 4 and i haven't noticed performance drop or memory leak

game just runs super good with my 1060gtx and 8gig ram, hope it doesn't get worse :V

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
it's so beautiful T_T

It really adds to the atmosphere. But sometimes, the camera during combat gets so low that it blocks the view when a fight happens uphill. I still keep it on as it on as it's just too nice to look at:

Is this a mod separate from Turfworks?

No it just changes the behaviour of turf. Makes grass higher and more interactive. It's already implemented in the game. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXVPCmods/comments/830r7y/modtweak_more_responsive_turfeffects_grass_and/

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Had my first summon (the required one in the base) and my fps didn't drop? Huh. I was expecting it too since it seems to be happening to everybody :o

EDIT: Scratch that. When everything clears up the FPS plummets. Weird.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'd appreciate some help, Trying to find the ideal settings for the game. Asking again since my post seems to be lost a few pages ago.

I have a i7 6700k, GTX 1070, and 32GB of RAM.

As per recommendations Digital Foundry article setting Shadows and Lighting to Average since anything above that seems to have a performance impact with apparently a negligible difference in image quality.

I am trying to find the most optimal settings to run the game hopefully at 1440P because I don't think I can run the game at 4K at 60FPS while maintaining the highest preset.

Maybe I could run it at 4K at 30, but I'd prefer to run the game at the highest possible resolution my system will allow without lowering the framerate or introducing stutter.

Does anyone have ideal settings for my configuration?

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Soooo I disabled the Steam Overlay and had the game running for hours this time, no super long fights but with TRAM on high did almost full up my 8GB VRAM a few times the game never crashed like it had been. I didn't see system memory go up significantly either.
Gonna give this a try while I play today, it's crashed on me every other time I've played for a few hours. Really sucks when you lose progress.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd appreciate some help, Trying to find the ideal settings for the game. Asking again since my post seems to be lost a few pages ago.

I have a i7 6700k, GTX 1070, and 32GB of RAM.

As per recommendations Digital Foundry article setting Shadows and Lighting to Average since anything above that seems to have a performance impact with apparently a negligible difference in image quality.

I am trying to find the most optimal settings to run the game hopefully at 1440P because I don't think I can run the game at 4K at 60FPS while maintaining the highest preset.

Maybe I could run it at 4K at 30, but I'd prefer to run the game at the highest possible resolution my system will allow without lowering the framerate or introducing stutter.

Does anyone have ideal settings for my configuration?

If you don't have a Gsync display then lower your display's refresh rate to 50Hz and aim for 50 FPS at all costs. Everyone's setup is different so you really have to find out what works for you.

I can run at about 45 FPS, completely maxed out, on a Gsync display with two GTX 1080s, each running at full load. I'm at 3440x1440.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If you don't have a Gsync display then lower your display's refresh rate to 50Hz and aim for 50 FPS at all costs. Everyone's setup is different so you really have to find out what works for you.

I can run at about 45 FPS, completely maxed out, on a Gsync display with two GTX 1080s, each running at full load. I'm at 3440x1440.

I use a 4K HDR TV as my primary display on PC. I specifically bought this TV because rtings reported to have very low input lag when used as a PC Monitor, so I have a 60hz display.

I don't think there is a way to force a TV to run at 50hz is there?

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Quoting from the DF analysis thread:

Possibly a stupid question: when people say they are getting hitching, are they referring to random objects spazzing out? I get things like truck tires, waving textures (like flags) , and parts of character models freaking out regularly. I'm on a 1070 and i5-6600k, 16gb RAM at 1440p.

I turned down TRAM to high and then average and I still get the issue. What else could it be?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to give up on this. It's crashing more and more for me. I even got an Exception Memory Error before it crashed this time. i74790k GTX 1070 w/ 16GB RAM and everything on high @1080p. They better fix this with a patch unlike NIER.

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Just had my first hard crash. What was weird was that I heard a musical sting, kinda like the "!" from Metal Gear Solid before it happened. What's that all about?

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any memory leak issues? I played for like an hour and suddenly during the transition from night to day the game crawled to 30fps. Quit and restarted the game, back to 40-45 fps at that exact spot/time of day/graphics settings. 980ti, 6700k, 16gb ram

I'm about to give up on this. It's crashing more and more for me. I even got an Exception Memory Error before it crashed this time. i74790k GTX 1070 w/ 16GB RAM and everything on high @1080p. They better fix this with a patch unlike NIER.

Have you had this issue with any other games? I was having this problem with a ton of games before I finally realized that a BIOS update had made turning on XMP for my RAM unstable. RAM works fine, doesn't ever crash at stock, but turning on XMP makes any demanding game crash within an hour (sometimes after like 5 minutes, sometimes after 40).

edit:

Also, there's a weird clinking noise when running in grass. Anyone else hear that?

Quoting from the DF analysis thread:

I think hitching usually means a noticeable dip in framerate for a short amount of time. DF mentioned the grass freaking out every now and then, but not every object. That's weird.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Disabling steam overlay makes it so my controller doesn't work. Any fix for that?

Edit: Disabling xbox controller configuration in Steam fixed it.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Quoting a post I made in another thread to hopefully get someone who has similar specs to answer this question:

So I have a 1070Ti coming in next week to replace my 970. How high can I go with settings at 1080p while maintaining a rock-solid 60FPS throughout the game? Other specs is a 17-7700 CPU and 16GB DDR4 RAM.

I was hoping to be able to use HairWorks and TurfEffects, too.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Have you had this issue with any other games? I was having this problem with a ton of games before I finally realized that a BIOS update had made turning on XMP for my RAM unstable. RAM works fine, doesn't ever crash at stock, but turning on XMP makes any demanding game crash within an hour (sometimes after like 5 minutes, sometimes after 40).
Nope and I play pretty graphic intensive games all the time. It's all solely on this product unfortunately.

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
Quoting a post I made in another thread to hopefully get someone who has similar specs to answer this question:

I'm running a 1070Ti with a 3570k and 16GB of RAM. I tried the game on my TV as it upscales 1080p really well and was dropping to the low 50s with VXAO and Turfworks enabled but no TAA. VXAO seems the most taxing even at that resolution so everything else should work fine. This was only during chapter 2 though.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Theres a strange behavior I have with this game. It seems that textures keep switching between lower and higher detail quite regularly. Its weird... the game is on SSD, 16gb ram, 8700k and 1080Ti. I haven't even got the graphics maxed out so it shouldnt be VRAM related. Weird. 60 fps capped.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone experiencing a lot of crashes? I'm running the game on a 1080 and a i7-6700 and the game crashed about 6-7 times in the 30 hours I've put into the game now. It's really annoying. Happens out of nowhere. Game would be running at a good 65-70 fps and all of a sudden it crashes.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Scanned the thread, didn't see any mention...

Are any of you playing with a similar system?

Ryzen 1700X
32GB RAM
RX 480

If so, how is it running?

If not, how about...

i5 7300HQ
8GB Ram
1060 Max-Q?

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

These are the settings I'm using on a 1080. Maintains 60fps for the most part in Duscae. Could probably exchange VXAO for turf, though the performance hit with turf is higher.
d3eec96c84.png

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
These are the settings I'm using on a 1080. Maintains 60fps for the most part in Duscae. Could probably exchange VXAO for turf, though the performance hit with turf is higher.
<jumbo image>
I'm also using a GTX 1080. However I'm playing at 1080p and 1440p (TV and monitor) and it's really smooth with TurfEffects, HairWorks, and ShadowLibs enabled, however I have TRAM set to High rather than Highest. With Highest I noticed an ample amount of stutter. It wasn't unplayable, but with High TRAM I almost never get any stutter. Changing that setting down to High might help smooth things over enough for you to enable TurfEffects. VXAO is also being a pretty heavy hit, especially in Lestallum. Looks great though, but not sure if the perf hit is worth it.

My system for comparison: Ryzen 1700X (3.5ghz), 16GB DDR4-3200, GTX 1080 (overclocked).

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm running a 1070Ti with a 3570k and 16GB of RAM. I tried the game on my TV as it upscales 1080p really well and was dropping to the low 50s with VXAO and Turfworks enabled but no TAA. VXAO seems the most taxing even at that resolution so everything else should work fine. This was only during chapter 2 though.

d3eec96c84.png

I'm also using a GTX 1080. However I'm playing at 1080p and 1440p (TV and monitor) and it's really smooth with TurfEffects, HairWorks, and ShadowLibs enabled, however I have TRAM set to High rather than Highest. With Highest I noticed an ample amount of stutter. It wasn't unplayable, but with High TRAM I almost never get any stutter. Changing that setting down to High might help smooth things over enough for you to enable TurfEffects. VXAO is also being a pretty heavy hit, especially in Lestallum. Looks great though, but not sure if the perf hit is worth it.

My system for comparison: Ryzen 1700X (3.5ghz), 16GB DDR4-3200, GTX 1080 (overclocked).

This is all very helpful. Yeah, since 1070Ti only has 8GB of VRAM it's best not to go highest with TRAM. That's for cards closer to 10GB of VRAM. So I've heard.

Seems I have a bit of headroom with GameWorks but something will have to be cut somewhere for 60FPS experience. Maybe Average Shadows or ShadowLibs off to be able to run at 60FPS with everything turned on.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm on a 6700K at 4.4ghz. Game is anything but smooth with the extra Nvidia effects in the Duscae region, especially during battles. Lot of dips to 45-50 fps. Tested lowering TRAM to high, didn't do shit, except introduce texture pop-in issues. VXAO performance hit seems to be lower than turf. Tested it out in an open field. 90% GPU usage with turf off and VXAO on, 99% usage with turf on and VXAO off.

From what I'm seeing, your CPU has more threads, so maybe that's helping your performance.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Set it to highest and the problem is gone. Should be no problem with your 1080ti (also have one and no issues). I tested the difference between high and highest. Turning the camera and looking at some tires, on high the hq textures loaded in like half a second too late. On highest, it's instant.
Can second this. Gas station ground textures kept switching between high and low quality versions at high TRAM setting. Setting to highest eliminated the issue.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Set it to highest and the problem is gone. Should be no problem with your 1080ti (also have one and no issues). I tested the difference between high and highest. Turning the camera and looking at some tires, on high the hq textures loaded in like half a second too late. On highest, it's instant.

Thanks, I'll try it later!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Going to be starting the PC version soon, I was wondering if I could get some recommended settings for the best performance with my current specs:

Windows 10 64 Bit

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k

Motherboard: AsRock Fatal1ty (don't have the exact model)

Installed Physical Memory: 8 GB

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

I'm looking into possibly overclocking my PC soon. Much as I'd love to upgrade to a 1070 or 1080 Ti, the current marked up prices won't allow that.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
I'm on a 6700K at 4.4ghz. Game is anything but smooth with the extra Nvidia effects in the Duscae region, especially during battles. Lot of dips to 45-50 fps. Tested lowering TRAM to high, didn't do shit, except introduce texture pop-in issues. VXAO performance hit seems to be lower than turf. Tested it out in an open field. 90% GPU usage with turf off and VXAO on, 99% usage with turf on and VXAO off.

From what I'm seeing, your CPU has more threads, so maybe that's helping your performance.
CPU utilization seems to scale only up to 6c/6t, I have 8c/16t, and most of it is not being utilized. From the DigitalFoundry video yesterday (thank you John and Alex for the excellent video), it looks like Shadows are one of the biggest hits to performance, and of course, resolution. Are you playing at 1440p?

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CPU utilization seems to scale only up to 6c/6t, I have 8c/16t, and most of it is not being utilized. From the DigitalFoundry video yesterday (thank you John and Alex for the excellent video), it looks like Shadows are one of the biggest hits to performance, and of course, resolution. Are you playing at 1440p?
1080p. Do me a favour, enable a frame counter like RTSS (or the in-game one) and see if the game maintains 60fps during battles in the grassier Duscae areas on your end.

I also had a few areas here and there where shadow libs/highest shadows tanked the framerate, hence why I just leave them off/set to high.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
1080p. Do me a favour, enable a frame counter like RTSS (or the in-game one) and see if the game maintains 60fps during battles in the grassier Duscae areas on your end.

I also had a few areas here and there where shadow libs/highest shadows tanked the framerate, hence why I just leave them off/set to high.
Looks like Duscae battle with ~10 Magitek troopers and Voretooths gets me about 50-60fps depending on the angle. This was at 1080p using the in game frame tool. 60FPS cap, High TRAM, High Shadows, High Lighting, VXAO off, Turf On, ShadowLibs On, HairWorks On (although it probably isn't utilized in this battle). I'm on Full Screen as well, vsync enabled in display too.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Duscae battle with ~10 Magitek troopers and Voretooths gets me about 50-60fps depending on the angle. This was at 1080p using the in game frame tool. 60FPS cap, High TRAM, High Shadows, High Lighting, VXAO off, Turf On, ShadowLibs On, HairWorks On (although it probably isn't utilized in this battle). I'm on Full Screen as well, vsync enabled in display too.
Sounds about right from what I just tested myself. Turn some other stuff down, game will run fine with turf on, though with some dips of around 10-15 fps. But personally, I'm fine with turf off. Get more consistent performance overall, along with less aliased foliage (need to downsample to eliminate that, which adds more of a performance impact in turn).

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So the game decided to fill up my 8 GB of VRAM with TRAM set on high at began stuttering as if I had it on highest lol. First time it does that

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also did anyone find a way to have shuffling battle music?

I know you can replace the music with whatever you want, but what I prefer is having the game randomly select whatever battle tracks I want (one battle might play the FFVI battle theme, another FFX, etc). Is this possible?

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
So the game decided to fill up my 8 GB of VRAM with TRAM set on high at began stuttering as if I had it on highest lol. First time it does that
Some folks have mentioned the game having a memory leak issue. Not sure if it's delegated to system RAM, VRAM, or the disk itself, but I find myself needing to restart my PC every 4 hours or so after playing in order to keep performance stable.