• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
does the game not look like this for anyone else when in fullscreen? it was the same in the demo and i don't remember finding anyone with the same issue, latest drivers, 750 ti

Hmm, I've seen this before, try enabling "Use NVIDIA colour settings" in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

S51biJK.png

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I kinda wanna make a separate thread about this, but if you ever use a controller on PC, buy and install controller companion on steam. I've been using it for years, it's $5, and lets address super simple issues like this. Essentially lets you use your xbox controller to control the mouse cursor. Hit back and start simultaneously to turn it on, move the cursor, back and start again to turn it off. Can also be set to auto disable whenever anything goes full screen. Has full keyboard support and a bunch of other stuff. Pretty amazing for $5 tbh.

E: shit it's even cheaper, only $3 now

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367670/Controller_Companion/

I think Steam Input can do all that and more for free.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
VXAO makes a pretty big difference, both to looks and performance.
Running with a GTX 1080 and i5 6600k, both overclocked, the game hits a kinda stable 60 FPS with high-ish settings and VXAO on. I'll share when I get back to my PC.

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
Ok Steam had me download the entire game again despite having it preloaded.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
VXAO makes a pretty big difference, both to looks and performance.
Running with a GTX 1080 and i5 6600k, both overclocked, the game hits a kinda stable 60 FPS with high-ish settings and VXAO on. I'll share when I get back to my PC.

It literally costs me 15fps, I can't get out of the 30s with it on even with a titan

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game perform decently on a regular hard drive? I don't have 150 GB or whatever the total size is (Game + HD assets) free on my SSD.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just woke up and start unpacking.

How's the overall performance compared to the demo for everyone? Is it more or less the same?

Maybe it's because I keep looking at PS4 screenshots, but this game on PC looks pretty clear to me by comparison

PS4 Pro Quality mode vs PC MAX (same time of day.)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/133727

VXAO looks superb to me.
Damn, that's what I'd call a generation leap.

Is PS4 Pro quality mode using checkerboard technique?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the real question is what resolution and are you running at and are your setting comparable? Are all Gameworks Effects on? Are all other settings maxed out?

That's at 4k, lighting and and shadows on high, everything else at highest. Turning hairworks on or off doesn't seem to make a difference, not sure if you need to restart the game for that..

It's hovering around 50 fps with VXAO off

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
That's at 4k, lighting and and shadows on high, everything else at highest. Turning hairworks on or off doesn't seem to make a difference, not sure if you need to restart the game for that..

Have you turned AA off? I find it redundant in most 4k games. Saves quite a bit of fps too.

(waiting for my download to finish. My 1080ti did well for the demo so I'm hoping it'll be the same)

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, after doing the tutorial stuff I got a couple minutes into the opening with pushing the car before it crashed.

I need to play with the settings some, where I have them is too much for my 1070 (OC'D 2.1GHz) and poor old OC'd to 4.5GHz 2500K, first step will probably be turning off Turf Effects. Or maybe drop the frame rate down to 30.

EDIT: Just crashed again just before I think gaining control of Noctis after finishing pushing the car, even made AIDA64 crash too... That's a first.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL

I assume the other user you were responding to wasn't running the game at 4K on GTX1080. I think folks giving performance impressions need to actually list the resolution and settings they are running at along with the CPU and GPU they are using (this is more of a general statement so that people don't get confused by non-equivalent performance metrics). Anyway, a 15fps impact does make since for a feature like VXAO though.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Hairworks definitely isn't on the main characters, SE probably has their own hair stuff they can't reasonably replace. It's just on random fuzzy creatures. I should see if it's on Carbuncle...

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
Seems to run worse than the demo for me.

What kinda settings should I be aiming for with a GTX1080 ryzen 1700x and 32GB of ram?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna have to restart but first, anyone else download the stuff off the workshop? The Cactuar suit was on all the NPCs in the cars that drive by and apparently all NPCs, I assume that's not intentional... Gonna remove those.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question.. I'm so sorry if it's been asked. How do I know high res textures have been enabled?

Is it the assets on/off toggle? I have 3440x1440 res so I'm not even sure if it will apply to me.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Verifying my game cache stopped the crashing upon load, so I'm fully up to speed now with everything maxed.

Tip for folks: if your game looks really blurry, like someone smeared Vaseline all over it, try disabling then we-enabling motion blur. Did the trick for me.

Also a question for folks with Gsync: did you have to turn on windowed Gsync for this? Doesn't seem like the game is true fullscreen even though it's supposed to be.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue so far is that it isn't alt+tab friendly at all. I'm alt+tabbing while on full-screen it switches the game to some weird windowed mode and the only way to switch it back is to go to the options, turn fullscreen off then turn it on again.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
VXAO is a 10 fps hit for me (7700k, 1080 ti), from 60 to 50 fps. I did not even max out the resolution percentage (175%) and play in 1080p.

Edit: some extra info for reference
- All GameWorks effects enable
- Turn off motion blur
- TXAA
- My rig has 32 gb ram
- Game is installed in normal HDD instead of SSD
- No overclock

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Does everyone have permanent banding in the sky? I remember it being there on the PS4 as well

Jan 15, 2018
Can anyone with similar specs to mine comment on how the game runs on high at 2560x1440:

GTX 1070
i7 6700HQ
32GB DDR4 Ram

Much appreciated.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
FPS seems to go haywire after coming out of Nvidia Ansel until a restart. The demo did the same :/

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Locking to 30 with RTSS seems to screw up pre-recorded cutscenes, since they play back at 60. That's not ideal, as the in-game FPS limiter introduces a lot of stutter.

Deleted member 26462

Oct 30, 2017
Does the demo activates VXAO when is set to 1 in the .ini file?

The game runs far worse than the demo for me like 10fps worse O_o

I simply don't understand why.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Can anyone with similar specs to mine comment on how the game runs on high at 2560x1440:

GTX 1070
i7 6700HQ
32GB DDR4 Ram

Much appreciated.

I have a 1070/7700K and half as much RAM and the game runs ~60fps (I have it capped at 60 and it occasionally dips to the high 50s) with almost everything on high and at 1440p. Only stuff I have turned off are the Nvidia hairworks/grass/shadow toggles.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Also a question for folks with Gsync: did you have to turn on windowed Gsync for this? Doesn't seem like the game is true fullscreen even though it's supposed to be.
For some reason, FFXV doesn't have an exclusive fullscreen option, only 2 options: windowed, and borderless windowed mislabeled as 'Fullscreen'. It was the same in the benchmark and the demo.

Ishiro Can this information be added to the OP?

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Looks amazing, quite happy with the performance as well. Did a mistake by playing the first 20 minutes with VXAO. Don't want to turn it off now :(

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Really? It functions outside of steam as a mouse cursor and keyboard? That's cool. When did that get added?

Well it does need Steam in the background. I think DS4 and Xbox controllers have had custom configuration support for near a year now. Can setup desktop bindings, per game bindings, BPM bindings, and universal bindings that are active whenever you hold the home button (center one). And there is all sorts of things to bind, and you can put multiple functions per button, and have certain ones activate depending on how you click the button. And those are just basic features.

I don't think any other programs for controllers anywhere else offer as much as Steam Input does.

Deleted member 10852

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
with a gtx1070, im able to use the hd texture pack?
CPU 4670k 4.0Ghz
12GB RAM DDR3

want to play this only in 1080p and 60fps

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
does the game not look like this for anyone else when in fullscreen? it was the same in the demo and i don't remember finding anyone with the same issue, latest drivers, 750 ti
What resolution? I have colour issues if I try playing @1440p with all PC games (my desktop is 4K). I don't have FFXV yet but am thinking about it.

Oct 25, 2017
HEADS UP ON AO:

The effect of VXAO and Normal AO stack. Having both on at the same time, or one on and the other off has a noticeable quality difference (though its a little weird, you'll see in a minute.

Will get a comparison up in a second.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Glad I'm not the only one, I think the game does something weird with the fullscreen mode that can mess up certain monitors. If you turn your monitor off and back on it will be normal. Then it may go to those crazy colors when you close the game or if you alt + enter to go windowed. Then you can turn it back off/on to make it normal. No idea what it may indicate, I thought it might be my monitor isn't in the best condition since I recently had it fixed, its power supply related stuff were all replaced since they got borked. Old LG 1080p monitor, 22EA53, with a GTX1080. If you take a screenshot the game looks normal which is why you had to take a photo. Hopefully this doesn't indicate the monitor is dying again. It only happens with FFXV so far, no other game switching between fullscreen/windowed/borderless has triggered it for me as of now so hopefully not. I haven't tried connecting it with DVI-D instead of HDMI to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

Herbz

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, FFXV doesn't have an exclusive fullscreen option, only 2 options: windowed, and borderless windowed mislabeled as 'Fullscreen'. It was the same in the benchmark and the demo.

Ishiro Can this information be added to the OP?

No wonder. My PC microstutters with windowed mode. Is there a way to force FFXV to run in fullscreen mode?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Does Ambient Occlusion look like ass for anyone else?

Best example is the shop in Hammerhead. The items on the wall look awful with AO set to highest. It's like shadows or something are all blurry/pixelated. It's hard to describe. With AO off the problem goes away completely but everything looks too "clean" or sterilized.

Here are some example images:

AO off:

AO on highest:

The second one especially looks bad in motion.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
What resolution? I have colour issues if I try playing @1440p with all PC games (my desktop is 4K). I don't have FFXV yet but am thinking about it.
1080p at 75% rendering resolution, this solved it for me
Wrong chroma sampling, manually set to RGB under image resolution in the Nvidia control panel
Glad I'm not the only one, I think the game does something weird with the fullscreen mode that can mess up certain monitors. If you turn your monitor off and back on it will be normal. Then it may go to those crazy colors when you close the game or if you alt + enter to go windowed. Then you can turn it back off/on to make it normal. No idea what it may indicate, I thought it might be my monitor isn't in the best condition since I recently had it fixed, its power supply related stuff were all replaced since they got borked. Old LG 1080p monitor, 22EA53. If you take a screenshot the game looks normal which is why you had to take a photo right? Hopefully this doesn't indicate early signs of the monitor dying again.
Yes taking a screenshot it looks normal

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
My bad, stupid question in retrospect. Id prefer to run at 1440p at as close to 60 as possible with all the bells and whistles.

You should be able to achieve the above fine with everything set to highest, but have all Gameworks Effects turned off. Once you start introducing Gameworks Effects, this becomes harder to nail down. I would honestly see what running the game like with All Gameworks effects on and see if you can live with the framerate fluctuations during battle. If they are too high, I would suggest turning off VXAO, then Shadow Libs, then Hairworks. I would be surprised you couldn't hit a mostly solid 60fps at 1440p on highest settings with at least one Gameworks effect on (barring VXAO...this one will be the hardest hitter).

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
HEADS UP ON AO:

The effect of VXAO and Normal AO stack. Having both on at the same time, or one on and the other off has a noticeable quality difference (though its a little weird, you'll see in a minute.

Will get a comparison up in a second.

Well, if VXAO does its job properly then we shouldn't need to have the regular implementation turned on at all right? Unless VXAO only applies to static objects?