• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My argument was not about day one sales. For a mainline game from a really recognizeable IP that has been out over half a decade, you think it would sold more. Yet it didn't. Sure it might've been a profit but I honestly expect something better from a LTD sales for something like this.
I absolutely love how with each new sales milestone we get even more levels of mental gymnastics from people. This is really just silly, y'all need to move on. No amount of copium will make this in any way a poor outcome. THEY said it surpassed their expectations. Unless you're in some conspiracy theory where you're right and everyone else is wrong, I would take the word of the Publisher here.

User Banned (5 Days): Antagonizing Fellow Members over a Series of Posts; History of the Same

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
This game was a mixed bag for me but that's mainly because the game I played in 2017/2018 and then came back to playing in 2021/2022 felt like I was playing different games lol

But I enjoyed it for the most part

Positives
+I love the interactions and chemistry between the main party
+I loved what they did with the Chocobo and the exploration was on point fun
+I enjoyed doing hunts
+The music imo was the highlight of the whole game, I still listen to the OST on my Apple Music almost every week
+The extra bonus stuff and collaborations were fun like the assassins creed, ffxiv, and moogle/Chocobo festival
+I had a lot of fun with the game so much it became my first platinum trophy on psn and it's my most played game on the ps4 clocking 85 hours on the base game at first, 12-15 hours on the dlc and another 5 hours on the expansion and updates

Negatives
-The story was weak and I felt the support characters could have had more character development - so many characters just disappeared like Cor who didn't even show up in the end until after the updates (played the final chapter before they ceased development of the dlcs and again two years after)
-Speaking of the story , the last chapter in 2017/2018 was completely different aside from the final battle and encounter than when I replayed it again this year , they added in new boss fights , missions and cutscenes that didn't exist originally
-The DLC expansions were okay but felt a bit too different like playing another game, wish it was part of the base game itself instead of just side dlcs. Ignis' alternate ending should have been extended into a "Happy ending" for the base game
-The NPCs and the environment felt like they were made by a western company completely and I felt it clashed with the main cast of characters and monsters - felt like two different games or worlds merged together
-Losing the ability to summon sucked so much , that and the summon system happening when your hp was low and not all the time was bad
-Wish there were more playable characters specifically female characters - iris and aranea I wish I could have played in a bigger capacity in the main storyline, not just the planned but cancelled dlcs. The male characters were okay but felt like a sausage fest lol

I finished the base game and the dlcs

Currently playing through comrades on ps4 and…it's okay so far

Anyways I really enjoyed the game for the most part and bought the pc version so I'll play it in the future sometime

So you can say I got two copies of the game (excluding have the pocket edition on both ps4 and switch)

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
final-fantasy-xv-min.jpg

"Hey, Noct, check it out. They're posting cringe over here."

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
You came into a thread just to shitpost mate and hate in a thread and I bet if you search you do it in other XV threads.

Again your both pathetic.
How did I shitpost by stating my opinion on the game?

I don't need abuse from you or anyone calling me pathetic or rolly eyes for stating my opinion which isn't exactly an unpopular stance of this game.

Don't get butt hurt when someone's opinion differs from yours. I don't need to stoop to calling someone pathetic but maybe look in the mirror.

I don't need abuse from you or anyone calling me pathetic or rolly eyes for stating my opinion which isn't exactly an unpopular stance of this game.

Don't get butt hurt when someone's opinion differs from yours. I don't need to stoop to calling someone pathetic but maybe look in the mirror.
lol abuse calling your ass for what you are.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
lol abuse calling your ass for what you are.
I don't have a problem with people liking the game, you shouldn't with people disliking it. Don't know what you problem is but your attitude is terrible and uncalled for. Calling someone pathetic because they didn't like the game? Keep it up because you ain't gonna last long.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I liked the game despite its shortcomings. I played the edition with the DLC include, so that might have helped.

I also admit I really liked the transition from the final shot to the game logo at the end.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

There's a big difference between "I don't like this game" and "This game selling well is part of the problem".

I'm playing through Final Fantasy XV now. I mostly hate playing it. I disagree with pretty much every design decision they made while developing it. I think its easily the worst mainline Final Fantasy game and, frankly, I consider it to be one of the worst action RPGs I've played in general.

What I don't see the need to do is come into a thread about its success and shit on it and the people who like it, and imply that the game seeing success is somehow a problem.

There's an opinion, and then there's high horse cringe.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You only get a first impression once and sadly I beat it at launch when it had tons of issues. First timers now have a far better experience

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
One of my favourite FF's. Yes, the plot was (is?) a mess, but there's just something REALLY special about the game's world, and I loved exploring it with my roadtripping bros.
FF XV has heart, and this is much more than I expected from a game like this. With that said, what a mess it was (but a good mess, for sure)

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad hardly any of those people liked the game enough to buy the DLC.
Real pity, since all the DLCs improved upon the gameplay and had better story direction than the main game.

There were a lot of little things I loved about the main game.
The monster designs were amazing, and I loved the fishing game.
The lore, story, and character development were all sorely lacking though. Especially for all non party members.
The combat was also pretty rough. It was hugely improved in Comrades, and I wish elements from that would be implemented in the main game.

Overall, despite liking it for the most part, it was a disappointment, and the cancelation of the DLC is a permanent blemish on the franchise.
It's the worst mainline title in the series to me.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I wasn't aware Comrades was still playable. I thought that was the multiplayer that stopped or am I misremembering? XD

I can't do the daily events because I don't have ps+

But I can do the story quests with bots which is…interesting because they are all higher level than me lol

Also glad comrades is separate because once I was done with the base ffxv and it's dlc , I got a extra 75-85 gb of storage back lol

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I didn't like the hunts because they were sort of the main piece of content for the open world stuff, and to me "go to a place and fight a boss on the world map" is like, the least interesting genre of open world content.

I probably haven't played enough open world games but I honestly got lost and lost sight of time when I did hunts and sidequests

I got to chapter 3 where it was open world if I remember right and for a good 30 hours I was doing just quests and hunts left and right before I got to chapter 4. I was so over leveled lol

I really enjoyed it 🤣

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Very deserved, one of my favorites in the series for sure, definitely enjoyed it more than other "fan favorites" despite a vocal minority of haters (who at this point are Star Wars-tier annoying honestly. Fuck off and let people like what they like lol.)

I got it at launch and enjoyed it for what it was then but found it just OK at the time. It really got greatly improved with the many patches it got over the years though and I'm glad I went back to play them when I did a few years ago. Never got to play Royal and any of the DLC though, and I really want to soon.

Shame about the extra DLC being canceled, but I'm just happy there's content I haven't yet touched that exists for me to try. Glad the game found such success.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
What's even more amusing than the posters criticizing FFXV are the posters telling them that they shouldn't say overly negative things about FFXV. FFXV fans are something else. If this thread is just going to be cheerleading for FFXV, then it won't make for an interesting thread. Personally, I have more complaints than compliments for FFXV. The one saving grace was the road trip experience and the banter between the characters along the way. Those still weren't enough for me to call it a great game or top 3 FF game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Real pity, since all the DLCs improved upon the gameplay and had better story direction than the main game.

I'm not surprised folks didn't bite on the DLC since they led with objectively the worst one that didn't add anything of interest to the story and was also the one that was most awkwardly integrated (or I guess the opposite of integrated....) into the main game

Oct 25, 2017
What's even more amusing than the posters criticizing FFXV are the posters telling them that they shouldn't say overly negative things about FFXV. FFXV fans are something else. If this thread is just going to be cheerleading for FFXV, then it won't make for an interesting thread. Personally, I have more complaints than compliments for FFXV. The one saving grace was the road trip experience and the banter between the characters along the way. Those still weren't enough for me to call it a great game or top 3 FF game.
So u gonna point at the undeserved posts? The YouTube video post? The conspiracy theory sales posts? No? Cuz those the main posts getting pushed back on. Nobody cares somebody didn't like a thing

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
There's a big difference between "I don't like this game" and "This game selling well is part of the problem".

I'm playing through Final Fantasy XV now. I mostly hate playing it. I disagree with pretty much every design decision they made while developing it. I think its easily the worst mainline Final Fantasy game and, frankly, I consider it to be one of the worst action RPGs I've played in general.

What I don't see the need to do is come into a thread about its success and shit on it and the people who like it, and imply that the game seeing success is somehow a problem.

There's an opinion, and then there's high horse cringe.
This thread isn't and shouldn't be a "positive comments only" affair. I can tell my story of how utterly disappointing this game is (just as someone can share their joys of it) without being attacked. I never said anything personal or offensive. I expressed my own thoughts (which is downright tame to what I should say about the game really). Calling someone pathetic and getting angry at someone else isn't the way. Be better, like this game should have been.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
This thread isn't and shouldn't be a "positive comments only" affair. I can tell my story of how utterly disappointing this game is (just as someone can share their joys of it) without being attacked. I never said anything personal or offensive. I expressed my own thoughts (which is downright tame to what I should say about the game really). Calling someone pathetic and getting angry at someone else isn't the way. Be better, like this game should have been.
Weird how I just said I hated the game and nobody attacked me. Probably because I didn't imply people buying it and liking it was a bad thing like this does:

Unfortunately part of the problem. Really bad game.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
Well, congrats. I ultimately didn't like the game, but I recognize the devs did the best they could with the shitty hand they were dealt.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

There were a lot of little things I loved about the main game.
The monster designs were amazing, and I loved the fishing game.
The lore, story, and character development were all sorely lacking though. Especially for all non party members.
The combat was also pretty rough. It was hugely improved in Comrades, and I wish elements from that would be implemented in the main game.

Overall, despite liking it for the most part, it was a disappointment, and the cancelation of the DLC is a permanent blemish on the franchise.
It's the worst mainline title in the series to me.

Yeah the storytelling was much better in the dlcs

The lore of the world was divided into different pieces of media that it just felt broken and missing in the main game

Like for an example I consumed aside from the main game

-The ffxv brotherhood anime ONA
-Episode Ardyn anime ONA
-Kingsglaive movie
-Kings tale (beat ''em up on ps4)

I liked it all but kinda wish these moments were in the actual game and not separated

But ya the cancellation of the dlcs hurt the games ranking in my ranking of the series , still in my top 10 though

My top 10 mainline Ff games are…

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Final Fantasy IV
5. Final Fantasy X
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Final Fantasy V
8. Final Fantasy VIII
9. Final Fantasy XIII
10. Final Fantasy XV

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
So u gonna point at the undeserved posts? The YouTube video post? The conspiracy theory sales posts? No? Cuz those the main posts getting pushed back on. Nobody cares somebody didn't like a thing

All of them are undeserved, hope that helps. Like y'all are really, really, really overreacting to folks not liking the game and it's really awkward and uncomfortable for the rest of us to watch.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's impossible to say to be honest. VII Remake almost certainly has sold much less than XV, but its also rarely discounted to a significant degree, so it could have made more money back in the end.

But what we do know is that SE were happy with its sales, and it was a financial success. It won't have been cheap to make, but with a 3 year development cycle, it won't have been significantly more expensive than other open world games. As Versus XIII everyone assumed it was in full scale production for years, but it could literally have just been a skeleton crew until 2013 when the project was rebooted.
You have to remember that the cost poured into vs13 are considered sunk and are irrelevant to the rebooted FF15 project. The rebooted 15 essentially had a new budget and is the project that ended up being a massive success for Square Enix. The dlc under performed, but that has nothing to do with how profitable the rebooted FF15 project was.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
As I mentioned before, FFXV has strengths but it's weaknesses (at launch), were quite apparent. I implore those thinking it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, to watch this video by SuperEyepatchWolf.

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy 15 was a Mediocre Disappointment

I had some Issues with Final Fantasy 15. Spoilers from minute 26.Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/SupereyepatchwolfLets Fight a Boss Podcast:Itunes: https://...

Hey DJ. I hope you have been well. Haven't spoken to ya in a hot minute! ^_^

As for the attached video, I know many people who dislike the game love that video but personally I think he has a lot of bad-faith arguments in the video and focuses on weird nitpicks longer than necessary. But to each their own.

Like I am not a big fan of Automata personally. But I am not in any Nier thread trying to convince people what they like is bad or undercut any of its successes. Imagine if there was a person in XIV threads trying to undercut its successes at every point. I am sure fans, justifiably, would be exhausted with that person. So I am not sure why a few people are trying to downplay this big milestone as much as possible. The last single-player game that made this milestone was X. And only the original VII before that. Its still the fastest selling single-player FF game. Those really aren't milestones and successes to hand-wave.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent. I hope you are well and I'll see you around. :)

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
even I, the biggest FF6 hater on this forum (and probably the only one), don't go into every single ff6-related thread just to shit on it even though I would love to

just let people be happy about something, goddamn

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
You have to remember that the cost poured into vs13 are considered sunk and are irrelevant to the rebooted FF15 project. The rebooted 15 essentially had a new budget and is the project that ended up being a massive success for Square Enix. The dlc under performed, but that has nothing to do with how profitable the rebooted FF15 project was.
Yeah I totally agree. I was just saying that people also often assume the Versus budget was massive, but we don't even know that. It was probably operating with a skeleton crew.

Like we know XVI started development 6 years ago, 7 years by the time it releases. But you don't have people saying "oh my god 7 years development how are they ever gonna recoup the costs!!!" because people realise it won't have been in full development for that time. It's the same with XV but for some reason people still say "oh my god 10 years dev lol SE lost billions"

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I haven't played since its original release. I am interested in jumping back in with all the DLC.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Undeserved. I literally used one word and nothing else. I didn't tag anyone, i didn't offend anyone. Get a life.
I don't have a problem with people liking the game, you shouldn't with people disliking it. Don't know what you problem is but your attitude is terrible and uncalled for. Calling someone pathetic because they didn't like the game? Keep it up because you ain't gonna last long.
I don't have a problem with y'all disliking it. What I think is weird with posters like you, and others in this thread, and honestly everyone on this site at different times including myself, is the compulsion, and I use that word very particularly, to come into threads or conversations like these for something you dislike and don't need to talk about and no one is waiting for your particular weigh-in to be made.

When I see threads about games I don't like being successful, I don't go in there saying "man I don't like this game and its success is a problem/undeserved". There are plenty such threads, with the one about the recent Pokemon remakes coming to mind. And you know what I do when I see them? I move on with my life, knowing that my take was neither important nor particularly interesting. Cause typing shit out on a keyboard isn't so fun that I want to do it for absolutely anything I have an opinion for. It's okay not to post.

FFXV isn't important. You really can just move along if you see it brought up. Because your opinion is fair whether you like the game or not, but the seeming compulsion to share it at the slightest of mentions is weird. Some game having such a grip on you that any mention is treated like a personal summon to shit on it is fucking weird (and to the first person, is definitely not something that puts you in a position to tell others to "get a life").

You also can at any point just make a "man I dislike FFXV" thread if you actually have to get something out.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Weird how I just said I hated the game and nobody attacked me. Probably because I didn't imply people buying it and liking it was a bad thing like this does:
Obviously triggered that person more than your comment did and hit a nerve. I rewarded a publisher for releasing an unfinished mess of a game. Just the same way I would have if I bought Cyberpunk despite its sales success' (but that's cool to hate that game anyways so youd be called pathetic for liking it here). Still no need to throw hate at someone for what I said and shouldn't be classed as an acceptable manner to go about. I could have come in and said "lolz this game is a piece of shit, fuck anyone who likes it" and that would be pathetic but because I don't like it when publishers get rewarded for making a shoddy, bad product that unfortunately I got suckered in to buying as a FF fan, then that's not on apparently.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with y'all disliking it. What I think is weird with posters like you, and others in this thread, and honestly everyone on this site at different times including myself, is the compulsion, and I use that word very particularly, to come into threads or conversations like these for something you dislike and don't need to talk about and no one is waiting for your particular weigh-in to be made.

When I see threads about games I don't like being successful, I don't go in there saying "man I don't like this game and its success is a problem/undeserved". There are plenty such threads, with the one about the recent Pokemon remakes coming to mind. And you know what I do when I see them? I move on with my life, knowing that my take was neither important nor particularly interesting. Cause typing shit out on a keyboard isn't so fun that I want to do it for absolutely anything I have an opinion for. It's okay not to post.

FFXV isn't important. You really can just move along if you see it brought up. Because your opinion is fair whether you like the game or not, but the seeming compulsion to share it at the slightest of mentions is weird. Some game having such a grip on you that any mention is treated like a personal summon to shit on it is fucking weird.

You also can at any point just make a "man I dislike FFXV" thread if you actually have to get something out.
It's a forum. I posted my thoughts. I've seen many thread where people don't like games that i love and i take no offense to it. I read the posts and think it sucks that they don't like it and nothing else. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as we don't attack someone directly for thinking differently. I get where you're coming from but i feel like my one word croticism is easy to ignore.

You have to remember that the cost poured into vs13 are considered sunk and are irrelevant to the rebooted FF15 project.
To a point, Versus was in full development for 2 and half years at one point.

Square Enix didn't find the project fun nor was it coming together where Excs & Wada did consider straight up cancelling the game as they had no confidence in it.