• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

And is it worth playing through it in 2018?

• Yes, they’ve improved on it and today it’s worth playing

Votes: 174 47.7%
  • It still doesn’t hold up until the end

Votes: 166 45.5%
  • Only with the DLCs

Votes: 25 6.8%

• Total voters

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
We're in 2018.
I hold off on playing this game for 2 years.
I have the plain version, missing all dlc.
Is it a complete game today?
Did they update it or is it still incomplete experience wothout the dlcs?
Are the loading times any better?

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Story wise no.
But most of the DLC is solid, and performance isn't bad (depends on your version.)

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I mean, there's one more DLC, but the director has left and all the other DLC has been cancelled, so

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How significant do ya'll think Ep. Ardyn will be, because I'm in the same situation as op.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
There is one more DLC left coming early next year. With that said the game is as complete as it will ever be right now.

No, the loading times are not any better unless you're on PC, even then it's above average.

How significant do ya'll think Ep. Ardyn will be, because I'm in the same situation as op.

Same as the other episodes probably. 90 min linear gameplay, something like that.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The question I want answered is have they completed all the extra cutscenes and stuff they were going to add in updates?

yeah go ahead, nothing else will be added, they really didn't add much though. if you played the game before when it came out, don't expect anything substantial. Chapter 13 and final boss was improved (with more bosses) but that's it.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The question I want answered is have they completed all the extra cutscenes and stuff they were going to add in updates?
Thats has been done for a while. All that is left is the final story DLC. Honestly that last XV edition that was released is pretty much the "almost" complete XV package. Jury is still out on the Ardyn episode but I was satisfied with everything we got with the Royal Edition.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
So what episodes have been cancelled? I remember they wanted to do backstories for the main cast?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but when it first came out I heard a bunch of people complaining over obvious missing scenes and how the game felt incomplete. Does it still feel that way because if it is I may not bother ever playing it.
I mean thats pretty much XV even with the new stuff added. It is somewhat incomplete lore-wise but you'll understand the overall story with XV(+ the cutscene patches and the DLCs) if you just get the Royal Edition. If you want the full XV experience (lore included), you basically have to do a bit of homework before you play by watching the Kingsglaive movie and the Brotherhood anime (most of it is on YT for free) to get the "almost" complete experience alongside XV and the DLC.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
We're in 2018.

As someone who did the same thing as you (recently replayed it two months ago), let's just say it is 'updated' now. It is a fun game and I recommend you finally giving it a try. As I'm sure you have heard, all of the remaining DLC (save the Arden DLC) was cancelled, so now is the time that development in this universe is complete. Also, I purchased all of the DLC - Ignis, Gladio, and Prompto episodes - and never even touched one. To be honest, IDGAF enough to play through those episodes - I don't care where they were during certain events of the story etc. Go ahead and play man. Sure, it is a game that definitely shows it went through a mess in development and was stitched together. But the story did tug on my feels and the gameplay is fun, as well as a semi-interesting world. If you have the time, jump in.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Wasn't that DLC part of the story and experience? Cancelling that means the game will never be complete, doesn't it?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The story and gameplay tweaks were finished with the Royal Edition/Upgrade.

So what episodes have been cancelled? I remember they wanted to do backstories for the main cast?
It was going to be two additional episodes about Luna and Aranea. The third was going to be an alternative ending.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Ardyn DLC has still yet to be released. But the main game was "done" since the Royal Update. The main story isn't going to get more updates. And the dlc are accessed through a different menu.

And yes it's worth giving a shot. It's the best jrpg that I played this generation, and I played pretty much every big title.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I played through it at launch and again after Episode Ignis dropped and genuinely quite enjoyed both playthroughs, and while it has some really great highlights, it is a really uneven experience to the point where I can't really say it was a disappointment, but nor would I recommend it outright.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that DLC part of the story and experience? Cancelling that means the game will never be complete, doesn't it?
Ep Luna and Ep Noctis were going to be set in some kind of alternate timeline, only Ep Aranea was a Side Story, but I don't think this justifies a "the game will never be complete".

Also there's a collaboration with FFXIV next week, and it looks cool.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The second round of DLC was always meant to be purely additive. Bonus content for those who wanted it, but wasn't really meant to fill in crucial gaps/weaknesses the narrative.

After the Royal Edition hit, the base game was about as "complete" as you were gonna get.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I never expected this game to be finished and that's okay. The lore was incomplete and convoluted but it still stands out as one of my favorite Final Fantasy titles because of the brotherhood of the main party. That's worth playing more than anything else, IMO.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still have to go through past interviews for when it was Versus 13 and pick apart what's in the story and what's not to piece the rest of the story together. No in the story standpoint.

From a gameplay standpoint it was fun.

From all the weird choices they made on how the cut the content apart and the huge chunk of the game that never made it playable in the game. Disappointing.

I'll never not be disappointed to what XV was released as. I guess on one side it wasn't a dead project. But I still wish for that alternate reality where Nomura made the trilogy he wanted. Because that was the game(s) I wanted to play.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
The weekly veiled "Let's shit on FFXV" thread.

EDIT: LMFAO, just look at the responses in this thread. Half of them don't even try to answer the question and just plain out shit on the game.

Oct 31, 2017
if you're itching for an open world game that doesn't excel at anything and tells a really terrible story that is also very, very disjointed and terribly paced, go for it.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I think it's a fantastic game (my favourite ever) and after April will be the best time to play it completely. The Ardyn DLC looks great. It has some flaws but is gorgeous and the characters are fantastic; they made the game for me.

Oct 30, 2017
Is it as done as it could get... one DLC left and the book of FFXV can finally be put to rest.

Go ahead and enjoy the game.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes it's done. It was never in a beta phase either.

It's a good game if you go in with the right expectations.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
the update bolstered the game as a whole but the story still needs a bit more filling.

Loading times and odd glitches still prevail

The time to settle down and sink some time into this couldn't be better

5zE6zH7.gif

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I'm saying, is it a finished, polished game, or is it still in the weird "beta" phase it launched in.

Yes it is a finished, polished game after the Royal Edition which came out in March of this year. No, it was never in "beta" phase so I don't know what you're talking about. Even at launch the game was "finished" But it's an even better game then it was back then, day and night due to all the free updates and additions the game was given since launch. The game is complete and is a legitimately good game with over 100 hours of quality content. Do yourself a favor and play it.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
The weekly veiled "Let's shit on FFXV" thread.

EDIT: LMFAO, just look at the responses in this thread. Half of them don't even try to answer the question and just plain out shit on the game.

I kinda feel sorry for these people. You'd think they'd have something better to do with their lives then mash their keyboard against strangers on an online video game forum Lol

Last edited:

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
It was done when it came out, people just didn't like it

I don't know, considering it won multiple GOTY awards, has an 81-85 MC, sold over 8 million, and has a massive following from the vast majority who love the game. Sounds like to me plenty of people liked it. I think you mean the vocal minority didn't like it because that's more accurate. The internet and it's hyperbole bitching doesn't make up the gaming landscape. Outside of it, mostly everyone thinks FFXV is a great game. That's why even on the legit poll from the biggest FF site online, FFXV came in the top 5 favorite FFs for FF fans with #4. This was taken a year after the game came out as well so no honeymoon phase at play.

I know it's difficult to understand here of all places, but maybe, most people just like the game and a very small vocal minority doesn't. And just maybe, people who don't like the game have their complete right, but maybe they should stop bitching every-time the game is mentioned when they don't care about it anyway and stop ruining it for others who do like the game.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I really enjoyed the game when it was released at launch. So I think it would be a definite worthwhile experience now. The story is lacking but I enjoyed the combat, visuals, and music.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plotwise it still feels incomplete. The game itself has been updated really well. It's fun.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Not complete for me. I want a version with Kingsglaive's events as playable, the DLC's built into the campaign chronologically as their events transpire, Luna REALLY needed her own chapter (or at least a series of scenes) to catch us up on what she is up to throughout, since she is criminally underdeveloped, and we really need some scenes that show us what ultimately happens with the Empire (Aranea chapter?).

Then it would feel like somewhat of a complete product.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is complete and has been pretty much since launch. It wasn't a beta, it just wasn't that good at launch. People need to learn the difference.

It is much better now thanks to the updates (8/10 max) but it's still only at best 'good'.

Syringe

Oct 28, 2017
I think it is done. There is something very tragic about this entertaining game. The long and troubled development - end the fact that the person who saved it jumped ship after it was finished. I really like it a lot, but still think it brings bad luck.

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
We're in 2018.

The game is finished, with one more DLC coming soon which is probably going to be side-content, depicting the past of one character and how he became who he is in the main game.
In March, the title received the Royal Upgrade/Pack which added some more cutscenes and expanded the final chapter with new areas, missions and bosses.
Also, the three other characters are now fully playable. There have also been some minor tweaks here and there and a few QoL features.

Basically, if you waited for the game to be "complete", then now is the time to go and play it if you want.

To avoid outrage and being quoted, I put my personal opinion on the game in a spoiler tag.

My personal opinion on FFXV is that of a very bad videogame - I did not have any fun with it and it´s my biggest gaming disappointment. Neither exploration nor combat, a JRPG´s major aspects, were fun to me. And even though the Story does show some potential here and there, you can clearly tell that it´s been stitched together; there are simply way too many design-decisions that were made out of compromises and everyone can see that. I consider the plot to be one of the worst in any medium.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best art direction the series has ever had, with the potential for an amazingly layered story, but got squandered through poor management.

I still enjoyed the game, for what its worth, but It just didn't go far enough. Once again, probably all due to bad management decisions.

Hope they realize the modern setting again, but this time with a team that can deliver what they initially showcased.

I'd still say its worth playing for sure.