• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think XV needs a remake. It had its good parts and its bad parts, just like every FF game. Square needs to move on, for the sake of the franchise.

It's not healthy to constantly keep hammering away at the last game trying to fix everything that was wrong with it, rather than learning the proper lessons from the experience and USING those to make the next game even better.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
On my third new game plus, finally hit level 120 and maxed out the ascension board. Going to start a new game with everything (I have 99 of every item etc) and complete every quest.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Yes you are in the minority.

Actually, that's false. You're in the minority for saying that. The game was a success, critically and commercially. The game ranked as the top 5 best FFs of all time, is now the second best selling FF of all time under only FFVII with 8+ million, and over 50% of people have finished the game.

It's up to you if don't like it but you're not in the majority with saying that, sorry to say.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
All these haters lol.

I actually kinda agree with OP. Loved the story and was hoping for a bit more.

A sequel would be awesome. If 13 could get 3 games, why can't XV get a sequel.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Actually, that's false. You're in the minority for saying that. The game was a success, critically and commercially. The game ranked as the top 5 best FFs of all time, is now the second best selling FF of all time under only FFVII with 8+ million, and over 50% of people have finished the game.

It's up to you if don't like it but you're not in the majority with saying that, sorry to say.

One thing I have noticed is that the game is even more divisive inside Japan.
I have never seen a big budget release drop to bargain bin prices so quickly.

I do think that user reviews and such show that the majority of western fans did like the game, but it seems like the opposite over here.
There was an obvious push to cater to western tastes, so it does make sense.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
It's fine lol

just give us daemonslayer Iris and dump Luna in the trash where she belongs and we're golden

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I do think that user reviews and such show that the majority of western fans did like the game, but it seems like the opposite over here.

It also doesn't help that Japanese players really don't like console games anymore. I won't be surprised if KH3's price craters in a couple of weeks over there too.

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I think after the entire developement hell this game went, square will want to bury it deep in hell

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018

I think that's been the state of Final Fantasy since FFXII. They've been gradually moving to appeal to a worldwide audience rather than focusing on Japan. Japan hasn't been their focus in over a decade.

That's when they started screwing with the formula. XII is still divisive to this day and is still split between the FF fanbase. It's because it borderline plays and is designed like an offline MMO, which is definitely more of a Western appeal. And it has other issues as well. XIII was linear and was designed to make FF play and function like like Call of Duty (Toriyama) XV was designed as a massive open world game in the likes of Witcher 3.

XII-XV are all vastly different from one another, where as, I-X are fairly consistent and similar to each other. Whatever XVI is, it's probably going to be nothing like any of the previous games and keep this trend going.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
It's one of my favorite games, but I'm not sure what they'd do if they remade it? Especially now. FFVII suffers from being genuinely dated, despite being a great game, so it's a different situation. I can think of some things I'd like to be different in XV, but it's nothing a remake would probably change.

XV is one of those games I like for all it's weird quirks. On a personal level, I'd be sad to see some things changed or ironed out in the name of making it more acceptable to certain people.

And good luck having an actual discussion about the game on this forum. Give it another five years or until XVI is out.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even care for the game's main alleged strength, the core brotherhood of the quartet you played as. I really found them boring and generic, aside from a few choice moments with Ignis. Noctis himself is unforgivably forgettable for a main character.

It's tragic that so much development went into this trash fire, but there are way too many things wrong with this game to bother putting in the energy to fix them. I'd rather the remaster and remake arms of companies go into taking 80% games up to 100% by fixing their rough spots. It's not worth it with a sub 50% game.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It also doesn't help that Japanese players really don't like console games anymore. I won't be surprised if KH3's price craters in a couple of weeks over there too.

Nah, that will not happen IMO. Good console games still keep a decent price over here even with the console market shrinking.
Games like Persona 5, Nier Automata, Valkyria Chronicles 4 still hold their price points pretty consistently.

FFXV was obviously an example of the used market being flooded by trade-ins quickly after release.
The only other fairly big games I have seen drop so quickly in recent memory were the Valkyria spin-off and New Gundam Breaker.

I tried to trade in FFXV about 3 weeks after release and was offered less trade-in value than they would normally give on a decade old DS game.

I think that's been the state of Final Fantasy since FFXII. They've been gradually moving to appeal to a worldwide audience rather than focusing on Japan. Japan hasn't been their focus in over a decade.

That's when they started screwing with the formula. XII is still divisive to this day and is still split between the FF fanbase. It's because it borderline plays and is designed like an offline MMO, which is definitely more of a Western appeal. And it has other issues as well. XIII was linear and was designed to make FF play and function like like Call of Duty (Toriyama) XV was designed as a massive open world game in the likes of Witcher 3.

XII-XV are all vastly different from one another, where as, I-X are fairly consistent and similar to each other. Whatever XVI is, it's probably going to be nothing like any of the previous games and keep this trend going.

Yeah, it has definitely been a trend for years now. The irony to me however is that Japanese audiences tend to actually appreciate
Western style games these days, but hate something like XV which is kind of a mediocre imitation of those aspects of western design.

Last edited:

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV is never getting a remake.
That said, we'll get to a point where in 10 years, a team of people will patch in whatever it is you want out of it.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes you are in the minority.

The game sold about 10 million copies worldwide and received very solid reviews. It kept on selling and selling long after the Shitstorm and Review Bombs by angry Final Fantasy fans started. I guess, the minority are still the loud voices you hear on the Internet.

I actually enjoyed XV very much. It's impressive what they created out of a pile of junk. And that clearly was the project when it was handed over to Tabata. It was one mess of a game. To bad it will be forever incomplete since they prematurely cancelled the second season of the DLC's except for Ardyns story, but that's actual a prequel.

The game is, of course, not without flaws. But the post-launch support was terrific. Most other AAA-Companies would have dropped the project a few months after it's release.

Of course I can understand it when long time fans say they are disappointed. The Hype-Level for this game was so gigantic it was ridiculous. The same can happen to the Final Fantasy VII Remake. It's the fate of a popular IP whose golden days are long gone.

But all in all, I never regret my time I've spend with Final Fantasy XV.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it needs to be remade personally. What they put out is the game they chose to be good enough. I got tons of problems with it, but I think it should stay as is as both a reminder of where they messed up and what they did right with it. Hopefully SE learns that too.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
All they had to do was release more mod tools and the community would've been all over it, but SE can't even get that shit right.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
The good was ultimately outweighed by the bad for me with XV, but after finishing the game, like OP I found myself fantasizing about SE coming back to it in 5 or 10 years and fixing it up. Add a fully fleshed out second continent and Luna's hometown, maybe some pre-ruin Insomnia if you can. Tweak some of the narrative stuff that sounds good on paper but whiffed for me in practice, like how Luna is handled and the ending.

Unfortunately, I think the same development and business realities that made the game such a mess in the first place would continue to prevent it from being realized as the developers wanted it.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
It doesn't really need a remake. The underlying tech is so future-proof that they can simply throw more power at it and the engine will blossom on its own.

The other issues (well, a lot of people like it, so whatever, but I found it a spectacularly bland and joyless experience with check-the-boxes style design) with the game would take a pretty significant overhaul, outside the scope of what we think of as a remake.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's never getting a remake because the PC version is as good as it can be honestly, but perhaps it will run as it should on next gen consoles. As far as story, narrative, and pacing, there's no fixing the flaming wreckage that is FFXV, and I say that while fully admitting that I had a really good time with the game.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just let it die. It's okay OP , you've just realized the same thing many square fans did ages ago , they can't make satisfying big games anymore (unless, apparently you're a diehard KH fan). I honestly feel that FFVersus XIII should have been totally cancelled and a brand new FFXV should have come out instead.... what we got was an unfinished mess that deserves no quarter especially 2 years removed from it's mediocre release. I don't want them to take another stab at it , they shouldn't have tried in the first place if they knew they couldn't get the budget or time needed to do it right. Now , we can only move forwards and hope square has finally learned from these mistakes and .. maybe we can get a great new FF game in a few years. For now we'll have to settle for whatever the FF7 remake ends up being (I had hopes in 2015, now there is only ash).

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Not a chance. It's just a convoluted, terrible mess. Fans deserved a lot better from Square, but between this and FFVIIR, the new direction for Square is clear. I will not be buying any more of the FF games going forward, because Square has lost its way

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
A remake nah we just need an alternate reality of this game with Nomura as the director call it
Final Fantasy Versus XV with an unfucked story this time maybe a trilogy.
PC, Xbox Scarlett, and PS5 and the 8th gen consoles maybe a Switch Pro

And it should be like this and use all the XV assets but none of the combat system, or the boss fights, or the story redo that from scratch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hhNFiNwn3w

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
XV is my favorite Final Fantasy but good lord they could spend their time and resources on so many better things than a remake

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XV is my favorite Final Fantasy but good lord they could spend their time and resources on so many better things than a remake
You know, one of my nephews bought REHD the other day. I was looking at it, and started wondering why SE didn't just remake 7/8/9 in that way right now. I doubt it'd take that long and the cost would be considerably less compared to a AAA remake. And you would be bound to get a few million copies sold just off the diehard Final Fantasy fans. You get something relatively close to the originals, sell millions, but more importantly, free up resource to make FF17. I'm still day one for FF7 Remake, and am looking forward to it, but I think I'd have preferred the above route.

I just want a couple new big FF games. If 7 Remake is a multiple game project, it looks like we're only likely to get FF16 in the next decade in addition to a FF7 Remake 2 or whatever. FF17 will probably be beyond that. That's just crazy. We're gonna be waiting a long ass time. Imagine if you don't like the look of FF16 for whatever reason. Means you're shit out of luck until the next go around, which will happen when you're a grandad.

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
I mean if your going to remake XV you won't really need a graphics update just change the story, combat system, and maybe some of the music.
Give it to Nomura get Noctis back to his dad already and give it to the KH3 team or the VII Remake team.
XVI and XVII can be made by whoever I don't care give it to Luminous Productions, give it to BD4, BD5 whoever the fuck don't care.
Oh and give it as many games as it needs to tell it's story 1 game sure, 2 games sure, 3 games I'd love that actually just put them on PC in a timely manner. I'll pay 60 dollars from a properly done FFXV.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
lol, don't get discouraged by the vocal minority, bro.

The overall consensus is that the game is great.
You know, I've seen you cheer for this game before (which is totally fine) but in every XV thread there are a lot of people saying they didn't like it. Just as many as the people saying it was great. So perhaps the consensus isn't quite what you think it is.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I've seen you cheer for this game before (which is totally fine) but in every XV thread there are a lot of people saying they didn't like it. Just as many as the people saying it was great. So perhaps the consensus isn't quite what you think it is.

The game is one of the best selling games in the franchise and has great reviews. The overall consensus is that the game is great. Same happened with XIII and XII.

GalmLikePalm

Nov 29, 2017
XV is maybe the first game I played in a decade where I was appalled at how offensively bad it was. The battle system felt like someone made a first-pass prototype of what they sort of wanted and then they never made another pass on it. Felt absolutely abysmal to me.

Story was godawful and I didn't give a single shit 10 hours in.

I'm not a Final Fantasy fan but wanted to give it a fair shake as it seemed like they were making it for a larger audience. In the process it just seemed like they made a game that pleased nobody (or very very few people). I have alot of respect for most every Final Fantasy game and I have absolutely 0 respect for XV. Truly a trash fire of a game in my eyes.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder the remake will sell as much.

Off topic.
FFXV (both version) got bundled locally as part of a surprise bundle set along with like 5 other games that from multiple retailers in Singapore for <$50 SGD last year and those bundles received a lot of negative feedback because gamer locally don't want the games and the games have no resell value.
Retailer overestimate how much it will sell and overstock the game and now am stuck with two different version of FFXV.

XV is maybe the first game I played in a decade where I was appalled at how offensively bad it was. The battle system felt like someone made a first-pass prototype of what they sort of wanted and then they never made another pass on it. Felt absolutely abysmal to me.

Story was godawful and I didn't give a single shit 10 hours in.

I'm not a Final Fantasy fan but wanted to give it a fair shake as it seemed like they were making it for a larger audience. In the process it just seemed like they made a game that pleased nobody (or very very few people). I have alot of respect for most every Final Fantasy game and I have absolutely 0 respect for XV. Truly a trash fire of a game in my eyes.
Not sure how you can respect FF 13 too.

FF13 was too linear but 15 have a open world that is empty. At least i can follow the underdeveloped plot of 15 unlike 13 but 13's combat is actually good unlike 15 :(

I enjoyed type 0 on psp more than FF 15 if we are talking about Tabata's games.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
the game is fun...but lot of flaw
honestly i believe fans deserve more from the game..lot of half-assed content and storyline there there..the plot should be better, insomnia invasion should be there...we should be able to explore nifleheim..more,town,dungeon..better plot,better flesh out character,more important character exposure (luna lol) and not just some rushing skipping around storyline..its like they ship incomplete game midway of development

the game has love..but it flaw cannot be put aside..for the sake of future FF or square's future open world rpg(if luminous production indeed didnt develop next final fantasy)

i think its time to look foward..stop keep looking at this game..this game not even the best..it had ton of flaws..not good example at all..different story if this game is something had botw quality...look at what future FF could gain, learned and avoid later

Square seems still struggle in developing current hd FF..itseems they still searching for formula and trying to acquire the technology and knowledge required

for me this game kind of like trial and error for the devs team...its like they still learning and figure out things..not mention the engine being developed together...time and money being spend alot for figuring up these things
for next installment, with the technology being laid together with knowhow they gained, next game should tremendously better at every aspect than this one

we see tons of game made huge jump in quality for sequel..after devs done figuring the groundwork for first title..uncharted 2 for example..even cd projekt red 3rd installment of witcher series finally meet the charm(well ffxv its like first proper open world rpg attempt from square)
ff13 sequel also actually improved alot since first title with faster development time(correct me if im wrong),more content,town,better combat etc.

square actually already capable developing high content rpg game..FF14 is great example..tons of unique location,traversal,area and quest had storyline and can be unique too...even if that game offline,still is one of the best ff ever made....probably the issue is the technology..there is crystal tools for ff13, luminous studio for 15 (although we actually dont know the state of current the engine comparing others in the industry)...kh3 development smooth using UE4 and we'll see how it goes with FF7R

Last edited:

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
The game is one of the best selling games in the franchise and has great reviews. The overall consensus is that the game is great. Same happened with XIII and XII.
It is true that the initial reviews of the game were rather positive, but this fact and how the game sold don't create this general consensus. Many players felt deceived by such reviews back then, and later reviews were not so generous. Although I don't know anyone who thinks FF15 is anything beyond okay, I realize that in here and some other forums there are a couple of fans, which is totally fine.

The consensus is at best divisive, but how could you say it is great is beyond me. I learned to appreciate FF13 with all its faults, but I would never dare say that the general consensus is anything close to good.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I agree in that I loved FFXV but really wish it could've reached its' potential. I don't really need a remake; more like, i wish i could go back in time and ensure that habata was director from the get go, as having one solid vision would've helped loads.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how anyone can say FFXVs combat plays great, especially when we have KH3 that just came out. Hard pass on a remake. Letitgo.gif

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
As you can see OP, there was no point even bothering to make a semi-positive thread about this game.

I would go as far to say as I loved the game, warts and all, and I think it is best to just let it be the strange product of development hell it is and move forward with the series.
I agree with this. People have their galvanized opinions either way. We loved it. They didn't.