• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I'll say it out right, FFXV is one of my favorite games I played. I think the plot is there and it's really, really good. Noctis as fugitive crown prince, taking over the kingdom from his dad, etc. But the story and scene to scene continuity needed work. I'll admit, it has flaws. I really think if the game stayed in the oven for 2 more years we would have had a perfect Final Fantasy. The whole production and the troubled development from FF X13 Versus is tragic. The whole thing makes me sad because honestly,

• The battle system is fantastic.
  • The OST is perfect. Quite possibly in my top 3 FF OSTs.
  • The characters (main ones) and their banter is terrific.

There's lot of things the game does right. There are absolutely brilliant touches, like Somnus kicking in when older Noctis and the gang return to their royal city being overrun (just wish it overrode the battle theme as well). Speaking to that a little more, the theme of FFXV and the motif is phenomenal. Some people wrote off the OST as typical piano riffs and orchestra but honestly, I feel FF XV OST is legendary status. I find myself listening to the arrangement more than any other FF in recent memory, since FF 7 to be quite honest. Careening into Danger is sooo good.

I guess my thread doesn't really have a point. It's more of a lament than a discussion because I really do love FF XV and I feel it absolutely deserved better. I'm sure some of the development team who worked on the game probably feels the same way as I do. I dont know if remaking FF XV on Playstation 8 is even a possibility. It's just something that's so far off and costly. Besides, I don't see XV being as beloved as 7 by the community to even warrant this thought. I guess I'm in the minority.

big_1482613448_image.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, remakes have gone too far if we need to remake huge, super detailed games within years. Also, remaking it with even better assets would cost even more than what is already one of the most bloated game developments ever.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
While I don't like it, many people actually do like it, and they like the presentation most about it. (from what I read in twitter, or some local people I know)

So maybe for us fans of the genre or fans of FF, we criticize it a lot but others like it, it did sell a lot afterall

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
My issue with remaking it is that the story / narratives / characters outside of the boys are the weakest part of the game. It looks great and handles well so what would a remake accomplish

Oct 25, 2017
The game is great as it is.

I'll just wait for a 4K remastered version for the next gen consoles. I hope it includes all of the PC upgrades.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest disappointment was that they cancelled the mod tools for PC.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I would rather they move on and forget about it. The whole dev process to release has been a sideshow and I don't forsee a project worth salvaging with a remake.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
My issue with remaking it is that the story / narratives / characters outside of the boys are the weakest part of the game. It looks great and handles well so what would a remake accomplish
Fleshing out the parts that do not deal with the boys. Like making Insomnia a bigger world to do stuff in. There were towns you just pass through and can't even go to. Each town needs its own little history and backstory instead of being just backdrops, which was another miss in my view. Remember when you visited Red XIII's town in FF7 and it had a whole big history to it. I still remember it after what, 20 years.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is.... is the plot "there"?

It always seemed like the FF scenario with the least work on it. "Noctis is a prince whose family gets ousted from the throne.. goes on a road trip to get it back". I guess I don't have any zeal to see that paper thin premise fully realized or whatever.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
There's nothing here that has lasting impact story wise.
People aren't going to be going "Remake XV!" In the same way they do for 7.

Because it's more of a "this was a mess, could they fix it?"

The extra DLCs were cancelled.
Clearly there's no faith in the game.

Why don't they move forwards? Final Fantasy XVI?

Games are expensive to make and take longer.
It's not worth it.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
FF XV is garbage, SE tried to make it better but it is a 6/7 title at most if we want to be nice.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I agree with you on is the music. The battle system was far too easy and button mashy, and the characters are some of the worst in the series.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Is.... is the plot "there"?

It always seemed like the FF scenario with the least work on it. "Noctis is a prince whose family gets ousted from the throne.. goes on a road trip to get it back". I guess I don't have any zeal to see that paper thin premise fully realized or whatever.
It's not really a completely new plot. It's old as time itself. Son takes over the kingdom, but he's maybe unsure and not ready. I just think its a classic plotline set against the backdrop of a fantasy world and it worked really well.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
As you can see OP, there was no point even bothering to make a semi-positive thread about this game.

I would go as far to say as I loved the game, warts and all, and I think it is best to just let it be the strange product of development hell it is and move forward with the series.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The game is great as it is.

I'll just wait for a 4K remastered version for the next gen consoles. I hope it includes all of the PC upgrades.
XV is great. Doesn't need a remake.
I really enjoyed it as well, the story was disjointed because most of it was missing, but it was still a pretty fun game. Imo better than FFXIII which isnt say much for most people but XV is one of my favorite Final Fantasies.

Hooray, my FF XV therapy support group is growing.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be remade as Verum Rex :p

It's too early to be thinking about a remake. Ask again after FFXIII Remake releases on the Apple Pippin 4.

May 29, 2018
I picked it back up again today. Made it through the Leviathan part. The problem is everything feels disjointed. Like one thing happens and then it just moves to another scene then another scene with nothing in between. If there was substance in between the big chunks of narrative this game would be pretty good. I just hate how it feels like everything was butchered.

No biggie though. Nomura is about to make Kingdom Hearts Versus 13: Verum Rex and thats gonna be amazing

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I hope 15 is buried and they move on ASAP. I had fun with it, but it's a shit final fantasy game.

Final Fantasy should be way more than 15 could ever be.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
As you can see OP, there was no point even bothering to make a semi-positive thread about this game.

I would go as far to say as I loved the game, warts and all, and I think it is best to just let it be the strange product of development hell it is and move forward with the series.
I think it's fine to criticize the game. I don't bother with hyperbole like "garbage" being thrown around but in the end the game IS divisive. There's nothing we can do.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the game, and wouldn't mind a remake down the line, though I don't feel like I need one now.

Say what you will about the plot, the development of the cast up to and including the very last scene, and the single line that ended the game, struck me very hard.

You guys... are the best.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Aside from a remaster, you are never getting a remake of this game. It didn't have anywhere near the cultural impact needed to warrant such an investment down the line.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Dont even want to risk having to suffer seeing what happened to Luna again, that was a harsh burn.

Also the boys would need to be fleshed out more too, you can't not just leave them as banterers. I guess that'd just be actually incorporating the DLC, but I don't be think that's good enough either. So much stuff in the storybook is undercooked

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we have to get remakes, could we maybe get remakes for good FF games before we get them for the FF games that are meh at best?

Though given the time Square takes to make FF related titles these days, we probably won't even have part 2 of the FF7 remake trilogy 15 years from now

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i liked the game but dunno if it "deserved" better. the flaws are pretty ingrained in its design and core storytelling, so a spade is a spade in that regard.

in 20 years, sure, i'd be down with a FF7R type of revisioning but for now it is what it is, time to call it a day

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I really liked the game, and wouldn't mind a remake down the line, though I don't feel like I need one now.

Say what you will about the plot, the development of the cast up to and including the very last scene, and the single line that ended the game, struck me very hard.

You guys... are the best.
Actually that line didn't end the game though it should have

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I think it would be better just doing something new in the same vein instead. The good things could be implemented into a new title easily enough.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I really enjoyed it as well, the story was disjointed because most of it was missing, but it was still a pretty fun game. Imo better than FFXIII which isnt say much for most people but XV is one of my favorite Final Fantasies.
I like the game but talking about a remake or something among those lines nope nope nope also we "just" got the royal update that made the game more cohesive

After FF 7R i really wish we could more forward with FF

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't comment on the game's quality but the actual making of FFXV was a complete disaster that spanned a decade of directorial incompetence. It's probably not worth revisiting.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Deserved better than what?

It's not like the story warrants a remake and the game itself was to be a remake I'd like it on the scale of Resident Evil 2.

But then the story isn't great in Final Fantasy XV so what would be the point?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that it didn't do anything right. It's that the problems it does have are so major and glaring that it makes the whole game feel like a mess. It literally feels like half a game is missing.