• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
www.ign.com

The Top 10 MMORPGs - IGN

Massively Multiplayer Online RPGs require an intense time commitment, so these recommendations are for games that grabbed us from the get-go all the way through to the 133rd hour. Here’s our list of the Top 10 MMORPGs.

1. FF14
2. WoW
3. PSO2

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Crazy that the youngest on this list is about seven years old. I literally came to say are there even 10 MMORPGs left and it looks like the same 10 are still around.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it was either gonna be XIV or WoW, and considering how mad everyone seems to be at Blizzard lately I'm not hugely surprised it wound up this way.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I have played a LOOOOOOOOOOT of MMOs, more than you would imagine and FFXIV is by far the best. It deserves that spot.

Oct 17, 2018
Calling FF14 or WoW an MMORPG is laughable and the fact that PSO2 is there should say for itself how dire the MMORPG genre is atm.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
FFXIV is some next level shit. fuck WoW, all my homies chill with FFXIV

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Calling FF14 or WoW an MMORPG is laughable and the fact that PSO2 is there should say for itself how dire the MMORPG genre is atm.
...why?
Ticks all the boxes. They're role playing games played by a massive number of players in a persistent online world. I don't want to infer or assume that you're simply saying they're less hardcore than MMOs used to be and don't deserve that name anymore, but it sounds like that might be the case?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Plain old WoW Classic would easily take the top spot for me but saddled with retail; I get it being second.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
It's really a great game. I'm about the clear the final savage raid, so I'm running out of things to do until the next exp, but I love it and have put plenty of great time into it.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved FFXIV and it's story. Damn it was so good. I'm waiting for Endwalker to release before jumping back in.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Considering that FF14 and WoW have fostered some of the most grandiose community events over time (Tournament of Ages, A Stage Reborn, Songbirds, all the 500+ player PvP wars in WoW), this take seems strange.

If your point is that both games can be played majorly solo, that's ultimately up to the player. WoW does have it's issues with it's social systems, but FFXIV has an overall pretty active (in-game I mean) and welcoming community.

They might not be hitting the same social systems found in something like Star Wars Galaxies, but FFXIV especially is still doing plenty of things right in this area.

Last edited:

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I own it for 4 years yet couldn't played it long.. Way too overwhelming for beginners.

ESO is more friendly

honestly don't agree. you can mainline the storyline and it doles out its systems very slowly and methodically. quests that unlock features are clearly marked, and it's EXTREMELY easy to get an at-patch set of end game gear immediately upon hitting max.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I finally started playing it after being hesitant about MMOs in general, but it's pretty fun so far.

I should really give PSO2 a shot, the original was one of the few MMOs I bothered with back in the day.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It should probably be added to the OP as an excerpt but the list is based on stuff that's still playable today without much issue. Maybe the list should have been titled "the top 10 MMORPGs you can easily get into and enjoy today."

From the article itself:
A quick note: all of these games are still playable, but we tried to balance both how easy they are to recommend in 2021 and their contributions to progressing the genre as a whole. Let's get started!

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up The Old Republic again recently. Started a Sith Inquisitor, honestly surprised at how fun the story is so far. Considering it's supposedly one of the weaker ones.

Might just finish up all the class stories this time.

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of May/ start of June I tried the expanded Free Trial of the critically acclaimed MMORPG FFXIV. I played through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for FREE with no restrictions on playtime!

I had a really good time

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
It's the right pick. FF14 has really come into its own via expansions, while WOW feels more and more like it's just going through the motions.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not goong to quote that post... it is ridiculous, though.

FF14 is really good. Deserves the top spot as much as any other. Even though I dislike it, the story is easily the best in any MMO ever. If you like the story that is a massive boon in a genre that usually suffers here.

I personally prefer PSO2 out of all of the games on show, the combat in NGS especially is so much better than the rest. If NGS grows into its potential over the next few years, I think it could have a good chance of taking the top spot.

PSO2 NGS has the best exploration out of the top 3 easily. Feels like XCX and it only has the starting zones right now. There is so much potential here... I really hope it is realised.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Is there a good YouTube video/series of how to get into FF14? I've wanted to dive in for a while, but I've never played an MMO and it seems really intimidating.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good YouTube video/series of how to get into FF14? I've wanted to dive in for a while, but I've never played an MMO and it seems really intimidating.

Here is what I used. I also never played an MMO until FF14 (apparently I played it for a bit back when the PS4 launched, so I had to deal with some shenanigans)

For a more expanded/rambly podcast version use below

I also had some friends help walk me through some stuff/mechanics

Feb 15, 2019
Man I really wish more MMORPGs were coming out. Glad we at least have a few coming out still like Swords of Legends Online, New World and Lost Ark Online but it's been really barren the last like what? 10 years or so.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017

I wouldn't say you need to look up any guides or anything, just download the trial and start the game. It has a very slow start that gradually builds up and teaches most mechanics along the way.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really wish more MMORPGs were coming out. Glad we at least have a few coming out still like Swords of Legends Online, New World and Lost Ark Online but it's been really barren the last like what? 10 years or so.
mmos are expensive and hard to hold a playerbase. with wow on the decline it opens up some space, so lomng as devs keep expectations in check.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I started playing FFXIV almost a year ago and recently finished the MSQ, and it was hands-down one of the best gaming experiences of my life. The way the story and encounter design expand and improve once you reach the expansions is incredibly impressive. I'm taking a break from it over the summer, but really looking forward to Endwalker.