• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think the Shadowbringers launch trailer is not just the best FFXIV trailer released. But also the best trailer I've seen this E3.
I personally don't give a shit about the VII Remake (except I'm praying to God it's not in the way of development for XVI and other future mainline installments cause that's what I'd rather see than rehashing a 22 year-old story, world, and its characters for this franchise but what do I know), but the Shadowbringers launch trailer was easily the best of the launch trailers XIV has had. The only thing that got me more pumped from that press conference was the desperately needed FFVIII remaster announcement/trailer.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Alphascape farm parties seem dead. I thought I'd try to at least get some more accessories before the expansion.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got my early access code for ShB on PS4 thanks to Amazon. Got the pre-order earring and minion too.

What I'm currently mulling over is what to do about the Digital Deluxe Edition. I want to get that version for PC so that I have a version of the expansion on PC as well as the digital goodies.

Not sure I want to spend the full price just for that though. I was wondering if anyone knew the cheapest place to get the digital deluxe version for PC, as I'm not seeing it show up anywhere but Square's store.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've started the trial, only level 12. What are some good tips for new players and any tips specifically for ps4 controls and interface using a controller? I'm having some difficulty tracking down quests but am getting use to it.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I got my early access code for ShB on PS4 thanks to Amazon. Got the pre-order earring and minion too.

What I'm currently mulling over is what to do about the Digital Deluxe Edition. I want to get that version for PC so that I have a version of the expansion on PC as well as the digital goodies.

Not sure I want to spend the full price just for that though. I was wondering if anyone knew the cheapest place to get the digital deluxe version for PC, as I'm not seeing it show up anywhere but Square's store.

You can get the deluxe extras digitally any time by just paying $20 on mog station. If you're mainly playing on PS4, then get ShB discounted for PC down the road sometime and just add the goodies on.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can get the deluxe extras digitally any time by just paying $20 on mog station. If you're mainly playing on PS4, then get ShB discounted for PC down the road sometime and just add the goodies on.

Does that include PS4?

So I can just spend an extra $20 and nab the digital extras, which also carry over to PC?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Does that include PS4?

So I can just spend an extra $20 and nab the digital extras, which also carry over to PC?
It's not really that they carry over, just if you have the items on your char you have them, they're not going to remove them everytime you log on PC. So if you have the digital collector edition stuff, it works regardless of which platform you're playing on. It's an account wide thing, not platform specific.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not really that they carry over, just if you have the items on your char you have them, they're not going to remove them everytime you log on PC. So if you have the digital collector edition stuff, it works regardless of which platform you're playing on. It's an account wide thing, not platform specific.

Right, I'm aware. I just wanted to make sure the digital upgrade was also available for PS4.

This means I can just get vanilla Stormblood for PC down the line when I decide to add it as a playable option. Thanks for the tip.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I'm aware. I just wanted to make sure the digital upgrade was also available for PS4.

This means I can just get vanilla Stormblood for PC down the line when I decide to add it as a playable option. Thanks for the tip.
Pretty sure the collector's edition stuff is tied to your account/character and not to what system you're playing on.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure the collector's edition stuff is tied to your account/character and not to what system you're playing on.

It should be. I've done this before when getting the previous expansions for one system: whether PC or PS4, the items you get are tied to your character on both.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah, although you might as well get vanilla Shadowbringers instead since it includes SB anyway and it's only 2weeks and a half to wait now.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, although you might as well get vanilla Shadowbringers instead since it includes SB anyway and it's only 2weeks and a half to wait now.

Already did. As mentioned before, I grabbed the vanilla PS4 version on Amazon during its brief price error and got my early access code. I was only pondering the cheapest way to get the digital edition without spending the total amount of the game+digital goodies for PC.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
How difficult are the rotations? I was a monk (quit early game when I stopped) and didn't find it fun. Is the game hard to play (as in dungeons/bosses you have to pass etc)

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How difficult are the rotations? I was a monk (quit early game when I stopped) and didn't find it fun. Is the game hard to play (as in dungeons/bosses you have to pass etc)
I would say it varies from job to job. Some jobs like MNK have a ton going on and it can be hard to do positionals while keeping your buffs up, and on the opposite end you can be a RDM where your rotation is simple and proc-based so you can focus on boss mechanics. Although this is mostly only true near max level when you get most of your abilities. It's hard to gauge how a job plays until you have its full toolkit, with some exceptions.

I'm definitely biased because of how much time I put into the game, but I wouldn't say the group leveling content is particularly difficult. It feels like it at first but the game does an excellent job at gradually introducing you to different boss mechanics on your way to max level. By the time you're at 70/80, you'll find the dungeons you struggled in before are super easy...except Aurum Vale. We don't talk about that one.

Last edited:

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Watched the trailer again.

When the last lines were dropped, the audience had a surprising reaction then it all went to silence.

Interestingly, trailers usually provide cheers, however this one seems quiet the opposite.

First time I see a trailer that produces such a reaction.

Music in the trailer was also top notch, Soken is so going to own it this year.

And I am surprised no one made a thread for the trailer.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
MNK is one of the harder jobs to perform extremely well (I'm talking 90 percentile DPS in raids) but their output is also insane while providing buffs.

As far as the game being hard to play its really not. Some solo duty trials might be a barrier depending on if you can even perform your basic combos, dodge attacks, or prioritize the right targets. iLv provides the boost to get over certain hurdles though.

The game isn't remotely hard. Just requires a lot of time.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a new job to main atm.
I used to play monk and while I do like the job, it's pretty stressful to play.
Had a lot of fun with ninja so far(level 45,lots of potd) , but it also seems quite hard.

I got a dragoon at level 58,but it's not that interesting to play right now.
I'm also curious about black mage, but apparently it can be very hard to play for high level content.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a new job to main atm.
I used to play monk and while I do like the job, it's pretty stressful to play.
Had a lot of fun with ninja so far(level 45,lots of potd) , but it also seems quite hard.

I got a dragoon at level 58,but it's not that interesting to play right now.
I'm also curious about black mage, but apparently it can be very hard to play for high level content.
Samurai and Red Mage have relatively simple rotations.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Dragoon - Rotation is static but continuously builds. It doesn't get remotely complete until close to 70 though now.
Ninja - Skills speed and ping are the devil. Either you like the ninjitsu mechanic or hate it because you're forced to clip GCDs.
Black Mage - Either you're extremely good at it or you play Red Mage. A lot of focus on uptime, rotation management, and proc management. Also fight knowledge helps an insane amount.
Samurai - If you miss positionals go to another job. The punishment for missing positionals hurts dps a lot more than the other melees because of the kenki gain.
Red Mage - Pretty simple and intuitive job. A lot more mobility and plenty of GCDs to hit.

I highly recommend red mage for what you're looking for but at the same time don't let my words discourage you from any job.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monk is a lot of fun at 50+, yeah you have positionals, but they aren't that hard. If I wasn't already committed to healing expack, I would've seriously considered maining it.

You get the basic rotation for monk at 50, and it's not too bad if you realize how it works instead of just trying to memorize it.

That honestly goes for any rotation, if you try and memorize them, it looks daunting, but if you read the tooltips, you can figure out a 90% optimum rotation on your own, then just go to the balance discord server to complete it.

Last edited:

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samurai and Red Mage have relatively simple rotations.
Rotations aren't the problem, it's the combination of postionals, low gcd and little downtime even when the boss isn't on screen that gave me headaches.
Dragoon - Rotation is static but continuously builds. It doesn't get remotely complete until close to 70 though now.
Ninja - Skills speed and ping are the devil. Either you like the ninjitsu mechanic or hate it because you're forced to clip GCDs.
What do you mean by that?

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Can anyone recommend any vids to watch the story of all the raids as I cannot participate in them and would like to check them out for when I can jump into Shadowbringers later this year

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
What do you mean by that?
So DRG has a fixed rotation but it keeps on building up. At level56/58 you get your 4th tier combo and then at level64 you get your 5th tier combo. And even though you get mirage dive before 70 the mechanic doesn't show its purpose until level70.

With NIN your GCDs are already low because of Huton and any extra Skill Speed makes oGCDs more dicey. On top of that your Ninjitsu takes .5 seconds for sign + the execution so likely you're spamming Fuma Shuriken just to prevent clipping but you still have to use Suiton every minute to get Trick Attack off so you're guaranteed to clip your GCD there.

And by clipping your GCD I mean your Weaponskill is available to use (The button you press every approx 2.5 seconds) but you can't use it because you're stuck in an animation for another ability. Its a quirk of the combat system that hurts DPS output. I legitimately don't know of a time a job purposefully clips outside of Ninja's Suiton.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone recommend any vids to watch the story of all the raids as I cannot participate in them and would like to check them out for when I can jump into Shadowbringers later this year
If you want to see the savage/ultimate fights with just BGM I recommend FinalFantasy Magnolia youtube channel.

If you want plot synopsises the regular modes are easy enough to go in and even then I don't think any of them are a must know before going in 5.0.

Maybe the Crystal Tower series but I don't see anything necessary with what we know what's in 5.0. Like I don't think completion of The Coils of Bahamut, The Lost city of Mhach Alliance Raids (3.0 24 man.), Alexander, Return to Ivalice Alliance Raid, or Omega story modes will get you any more important lore drops.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fiye oh, I see what you mean. Already noticed that a bit when experimenting.
Felt like I was doing something wrong.
Although, I was able to pull of the lighting attack during the gcd of my normal attacks without too much trouble,so that's good at least.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
MNK is one of the harder jobs to perform extremely well (I'm talking 90 percentile DPS in raids) but their output is also insane while providing buffs.

As far as the game being hard to play its really not. Some solo duty trials might be a barrier depending on if you can even perform your basic combos, dodge attacks, or prioritize the right targets. iLv provides the boost to get over certain hurdles though.

The game isn't remotely hard. Just requires a lot of time.

What's the easiest class to play? I might not try something easier

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
What's the easiest class to play? I might not try something easier
Red Mage is probably the easiest overall. Samurai, especially after the expansion changes, should be relatively easy too. Monk after ShB goes back to fairly simple, other than requiring positionals on every hit as per usual. Dancer looks like it'll be fairly easy also.

That's DPS only, past that, tanks and healers are fundamentally pretty easy to play, their difficulty comes more from their roles.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Red Mage is probably the easiest overall. Samurai, especially after the expansion changes, should be relatively easy too. Monk after ShB goes back to fairly simple, other than requiring positionals on every hit as per usual. Dancer looks like it'll be fairly easy also.

That's DPS only, past that, tanks and healers are fundamentally pretty easy to play, their difficulty comes more from their roles.

So you're saying tanks have easier to play then DPS? I remember getting stressed playing as a tank,, worrying I wasn't "tanking" enough. This was still early in the main story

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Why did people like the Shadowbringers launch trailer? Honestly, I felt nothing seeing it. This entire travel to another dimension seems so far removed from the rest of the story I've completely lost interest. Vs for Heavensward I was really excited to travel north of Eorzea to reunite Ishgard with the other regions and with Stormblood I was excited to retake lands the empire took from us.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Why did people like the Shadowbringers launch trailer? Honestly, I felt nothing seeing it. This entire travel to another dimension seems so far removed from the rest of the story I've completely lost interest. Vs for Heavensward I was really excited to travel north of Eorzea to reunite Ishgard with the other regions and with Stormblood I was excited to retake lands the empire took from us.

Yeah I felt the same and I addressed it earlier. There isn't a lot of emotional investment from me. It's a foreign world with its own lore. It feels detached. But people are excited because it's covering the game's overarching plot. I've warmed up to it, especially after going back and watching some post Dragonsong war cutscenes with the Warrior of Darkness.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

It plays more with the Light-Dark aspect and makes the WoL's motivation a bit more murky.

We see what happens when Ascians win and now we see what happens when Light wins.

Both outcomes are... Bad. It's also a nice homage to the balance story of FF3.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So now that DA is gone, is DRK going to be a lot easier to play with high ping? Will it be an issue at all?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Because it directly deals with Light vs. Dark (read: Hydaelyn vs. Zodiark), which is the overarching conflict of the entire game.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Because it directly deals with Light vs. Dark (read: Hydaelyn vs. Zodiark), which is the overarching conflict of the entire game.

yes that bit of the trailer where they mention they are primals excited me. hopefully the story is more that and about how they will apply what they learn coming back to Eorzea and less "LET'S GO TO A DIFFERENT DIMENSION OMG TIME AND SPACE"

scy

Oct 25, 2017
So now that DA is gone, is DRK going to be a lot easier to play with high ping? Will it be an issue at all?

Basically. They don't have Blood Weapon's haste and don't need to constantly weave DA at all which leaves them with basically just "hit rotation things, occasional single weaves." Off-hand, I don't even think there's really a bad double weave in the current proposed ShB DRK opener.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
So you're saying tanks have easier to play then DPS? I remember getting stressed playing as a tank,, worrying I wasn't "tanking" enough. This was still early in the main story
That's why I said their "difficulty" comes from their role. But mechanically, tanks are stupid easy to play, and healers are even easier.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
For me I like the asthetic , the music and I main DRK. Lore wise i'm interested in what happened in this light flooded world and like us becoming a warrior of balance.

However yes, its weird. Its weird that like litterally in the middle of this great conflict that is escelating , the pull a " Bleach during Waco mundo raid " arc and pulls what seems like kind of a filler arc and just point us in that direction, except it has lore implicatins. Now obviously we might be going back and fourth between worlds, but yes it really weird.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
You guys gotta admit the monster designs are fucking amazing this expansion. I love the angel motif.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019

Yeah it's weird. To me, the nature of the primals and their effect on the world is at the core of everything since the beginning of ARR when you're investigating Ifrit. It's been a present point of conflict through every story since. TBH, "we gotta take down the Garleans!" has never been a huge motivator for me - their motif remains just as stale as it was in 2.0.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I know there was that one guy who was a Warrior of Darkness but a Paladin...

But isn't that like incompatible?

Shouldn't a Paladin technically not be able to kill Sin Eaters?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's weird. To me, the nature of the primals and their effect on the world is at the core of everything since the beginning of ARR when you're investigating Ifrit. It's been a present point of conflict through every story since. TBH, "we gotta take down the Garleans!" has never been a huge motivator for me - their motif remains just as stale as it was in 2.0.
Even the Garleans are part of that conflict - the Garlean Empire was founded by an Ascian to bring about calamities and trigger Rejoinings.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I thought he was originally a normal Garlean and was taken over by an Ascian later on
I guess Solus the Ascian could have taken over some random Garlean, but his introduction in 4.4 says he was the founder and you might be overthinking things a bit. I doubt there was some pre-Ascian Garlean Empire. Like cdyhybrid said, the Garlean Empire sole founding purpose was to breed chaos and bring calamities for the Rejoining.

Status
Not open for further replies.