• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Not really sure what the point of these quests were? As others have stated already it really didn't end anything and we learned nothing new. I would even say that you have to read up outside the game or watch fanfests to have any clue at all on what the next step is. Still no idea why we are actually going to the first world or why we are becoming warrior of darkness (yes to restore darkness but WoL is not even informed of that?). Just feels like we have no set up for Shadowbringer yet and I was under the impression these quests would do just that. Really hoping that the stuff that happens in the first world has a connection to ours and Shadowbringer is not some kind of "side quest" expansion.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure what the point of these quests were? As others have stated already it really didn't end anything and we learned nothing new. I would even say that you have to read up outside the game or watch fanfests to have any clue at all on what the next step is. Still no idea why we are actually going to the first world or why we are becoming warrior of darkness (yes to restore darkness but WoL is not even informed of that?). Just feels like we have no set up for Shadowbringer yet and I was under the impression these quests would do just that. Really hoping that the stuff that happens in the first world has a connection to ours and Shadowbringer is not some kind of "side quest" expansion.
The build up to Shadowbring is: The entirety of Stormblood, as it's almost entirely unfinished.

My best guess for why we need to go to the First/be the WoD, ties into what "Zenos" was going on about, how getting rid of us would bring balance. The story has been building up that we've been "too good/too light" and now with ShB, we'll bring on some darkness to "balance" ourselves. Maybe doing so, will open the way to defeating "Zenos" and Solus.

I was probably expecting too much, but it makes sense to not drop a hammer as big as Black Rose, or multiple main NPC deaths. It would change the world too much to deal with in the 3 months we're waiting on ShB. We also couldn't be "called" as they need to explain the process of moving back and forth between shards, and that feels like a ShB bit of content.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Yo. So I just dl'd this on my Laptop using the Twitch Prime promo. I already had a character from a couple years ago. It came with a free 30day sub. How long can you play before you have to pay for a sub again? Is it unitl level 35 or 50 now?

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's done. See you in like three months, I guess?

The "Zenos" fight was pretty whatever, and the story didn't really move much further from where it was in the last patch, but I understand.

Was nice to see Uncle Edmont and the reminder that Estinien still exists, though.

Guess it's time to actually go catch up with Hildy on this character.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I hope between this MSQ and this lead in to ShB that the team is just experimenting with the "let's just keep everyone in the dark!" style of build up, because this shit just isn't working and I feel significantly less hyped and interested going into ShB than I ever did with HW or SB

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
The build up to Shadowbring is: The entirety of Stormblood, as it's almost entirely unfinished.

My best guess for why we need to go to the First/be the WoD, ties into what "Zenos" was going on about, how getting rid of us would bring balance. The story has been building up that we've been "too good/too light" and now with ShB, we'll bring on some darkness to "balance" ourselves. Maybe doing so, will open the way to defeating "Zenos" and Solus.

I was probably expecting too much, but it makes sense to not drop a hammer as big as Black Rose, or multiple main NPC deaths. It would change the world too much to deal with in the 3 months we're waiting on ShB. We also couldn't be "called" as they need to explain the process of moving back and forth between shards, and that feels like a ShB bit of content.
I understand what you are getting at but to me Stormblood feels more like a buildup to the expansion after Shadowbringer. Right now it just feels like we are leaving in the middle of the end traveling to the first and doing something there and will continue this story when we get back. It feels weird and very abrupt. I suppose it's because the story is kind of split into the Garlemald + Ascian arc and us being too light with me focusing on the former.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How spoilery is the newest SHB trailer (I haven't played the latest MSQ quest)? Does it spoil story elements we haven't gotten to yet? Been debating on whether to check it out or wait.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yo. So I just dl'd this on my Laptop using the Twitch Prime promo. I already had a character from a couple years ago. It came with a free 30day sub. How long can you play before you have to pay for a sub again? Is it unitl level 35 or 50 now?
The cap is level 35.
If you already have the base game registered onto your account/paid for a sub, you cannot use the free trial. You'll be fine if that existing character was only using the old time-limited free trial though (Your post is confusing, can't really tell what your current situation is)

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I thought this patch would for sure have the item to upgrade your Scaevan weapon to 400 available in Wondrous Sundries like with the last tier of gear. It IS coming right? I've been saving up for it.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
So I woke up and checked the patch notes for 4.56 and while I'm pleasantly surprised that

Hildebrand got a trial again, thankfully; Ultros/Typhoon/Gilgamesh made the original Hildebrand so much better than the other ones, but this should help.

I'm kinda...sad/disappointed that

There's no Zenos Extreme trial to finish the Stormblood MSQ?

I mean with Heavensward we fought Nidhogg in a dungeon and then got him as a proper badass trial to finish the story out. With Stormblood they hype up Zenos so much before release, he's on the cover, and then all we get is a dinky dungeon boss battle against him?? Where is the true badass Zenos trial battle?

I thought with how 4.5 MSQ ended it was setting up to finish the MSQ on a Zenos-Eldibus trial fight. But I guess we'll have to wait until the expansion for that? Eh. I feel like the expansions should be more self-contained and the Zenos story should have started and ended in Stormblood. So we can move onto other stuff in the next expansion.

Also I found the 4.5 MSQ dungeon pretty underwhelming (just a bunch of empire grunts and an easy bodyguard duo boss) so the MSQ gameplay-wise kinda went out on a whimper compared to like the dungeon boss fight at the end of 3.5.

Oh well, will finish up the MSQ/Hildebrand tonight. Was away from the game since September of last year playing other stuff so been spending the last few weeks getting caught up. Probably take a break again after this until about early June. Will hang with the FC and run stuff in the last month before the xpac comes out.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People sound underwhelmed by the MSQ. Damn.

It's short in a "yeah they really did just chop off the ending quest off the last MSQ patch so they could have something for this one, huh" kind of way. We get the hook for the opening quests of ShB and see a couple of characters you haven't seen in a good while, but that's really about it.

Hildy ironically feels like the main content of this patch, haha.

How spoilery is the newest SHB trailer (I haven't played the latest MSQ quest)? Does it spoil story elements we haven't gotten to yet? Been debating on whether to check it out or wait.

I'd do the quest first and then watch the trailer, honestly. There's some minor character spoilers in there for it.
As far as how it spoils ShB? /shrug
They haven't been terribly spoiler-y in the past.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda...sad/disappointed that

There's no Zenos Extreme trial to finish the Stormblood MSQ?

I mean with Heavensward we fought Nidhogg in a dungeon and then got him as a proper badass trial to finish the story out. With Stormblood they hype up Zenos so much before release, he's on the cover, and then all we get is a dinky dungeon boss battle against him?? Where is the true badass Zenos trial battle?

I thought with how 4.5 MSQ ended it was setting up to finish the MSQ on a Zenos-Eldibus trial fight. But I guess we'll have to wait until the expansion for that? Eh. I feel like the expansions should be more self-contained and the Zenos story should have started and ended in Stormblood. So we can move onto other stuff in the next expansion.

Also I found the 4.5 MSQ dungeon pretty underwhelming (just a bunch of empire grunts and an easy bodyguard duo boss) so the MSQ gameplay-wise kinda went out on a whimper compared to like the dungeon boss fight at the end of 3.5.

Oh well, will finish up the MSQ/Hildebrand tonight. Was away from the game since September of last year playing other stuff so been spending the last few weeks getting caught up. Probably take a break again after this until about early June. Will hang with the FC and run stuff in the last month before the xpac comes out.
The end trial of the Stormblood MSQ was Tsukuyomi. Everything beyond that was build up for Shadowbringers

Oct 25, 2017
Might be time for me to come back,
Did the end of ARR through early Stormblood back when it released but Stormblood just burned me out when I got to it.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the MSQ. It really did feel like they split it just for us to have something to do while we wait for ShB.
I'm disappointed that there was no sign of Elezen Zenos. And I'm not sure what to make of the last scene. Varis get possessed by an Ascian or was he always possessed?

At least the artwork during the credits was nice.

Edit: I spoke too soon lol. Still confused though.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I liked the final quests well enough. Definitely felt like they just cut the tail end off from last patch. Best part is the items you get at the end. Really like it.

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
MSQ did very little for me, and at this point it feels like the expansion is setting us on a giant sidequest. Which is probably not the case but the build up was pretty badly executed after all the hype in patch 4.4 & 4.5, and I have a nagging feeling it's partly because Yoshida wanted to get the hype machine going and this time the writing wasn't really able to reconcile it. I think the whole planning around the keynotes for very little payoff hurt the build up and pacing a lot.

Last edited:

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
MSQ did very little for me, and at this point it feels like the expansion is setting us on a giant sidequest. Which is probably not the case but the build up was pretty badly executed after all the hype in patch 4.4 & 4.5, and I have a nagging feeling it's partly because Yoshida wanted to get the hype machine going and this time the writing wasn't really able to reconcile it. I think the whole planning around the keynotes for very little payoff hurt the build up and pacing a lot.

That's basically what Heavensward was and my reaction at the time was much the same as yours here. I turned out to really like it though.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
What an anti-climatic ending. Doesn't even do a real good job setting things up.

Heavensward ended with this.

Stormblood ends with you going to an ARR landmark and Tataru giving you the latest in Nomura fashion....

Hilidibrand quest did more to build up Shadowbringers.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm at item level 399 now. Once we get the solvent or whatever it is available for purchase, I'll finally be 400. I'm happy I no longer have to do any weeklies. I don't care enough about my DPS alts to gear them. Too much work.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
The end trial of the Stormblood MSQ was Tsukuyomi. Everything beyond that was build up for Shadowbringers

Not really. That's how Heavensward was sure, but stormblood was about the liberation of Ala Mhigo and the msq in 4.4/4.5 is about the empire trying to take it back and being able to defend Ala Mhigo. It's all connected themeactically. Also as I mentioned Zenos was the main bad like Nidhogg and they spent so much time hyping him and to never get a real epic fight against him is a let down imo.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Their split focus between Ala Mhigo and Doma did them no favors, because it really never seemed like they had a consistent throughline through it all or any idea of how they would tie it all together and properly build up for the coming expansion. The end of ARR and run-up to HW was incredibly exciting - the run-up to Stormblood was less exciting but still had a good amount of thrilling scenes and big questions for what we could be seeing next. The ending of Stormblood ends in much the same way it always was going - a bit unfocused and feeling like scenes were left out due to lack of time or not having resources because they were devoted to other things in the game instead. The way this has played out makes it really clear they really did just arbitrarily cut off the story progress of the last patch and set it aside for later just to fill in some more time and keep people on the hook.

Like, I'm really looking forward to whatever the story ends up being, but the present conflict we're going into Shadowbringers to resolve really just blindsides you out of nowhere a couple patches back and has next-to-nothing to do with that's been going on before that. All of Stormblood honestly feels like a lull.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That was weak as fuck tbh,
it would have felt better if it was together with the last patch. Or if we got maybe an extra 15/20 mins of story to show WHY we are going to be doing whatever. This kinda falls flat on it's face and the opening/trailer for shadowbringers just kinda feels there instead of well like an opening to shadowbringers

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would've been better if they at least let us go to the Crystal Tower and played some additional scenes there instead of just "go here and I'll explain later." I'm actually mostly hyped for
Zenos vs. Zenos.

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, and if there was still any doubt about the Enigmatic Figure's identity
his ingame character data is identical (save for the face, which is a custom model anyway) to G'raha Tia's

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like they revealed so much freaking stuff at the fan fest early just because the knew this ending was on the weak side.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The cap is level 35.
If you already have the base game registered onto your account/paid for a sub, you cannot use the free trial. You'll be fine if that existing character was only using the old time-limited free trial though (Your post is confusing, can't really tell what your current situation is)
For some reason I thought the cap was 50 for free players. Twitch Prime is giving out the standard PC version of the base game for free. I've played on PS4 a couple years ago. The free PC version comes with a 30 day sub. My confusion was if I could play past the 30 days as long as I was under the level cap. But after doing some more research, and with the help of your post, I understand now.

My current character is lvl 30 already. I'll hop back in for a hot second.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sad that at the end of it all, Stormblood really wound up being worse than Heavensward in almost every regard. I still enjoyed my time with it, but it just feels like a step down. I'll be interested in seeing the ending later tonight, at least...

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
For some reason I thought the cap was 50 for free players. Twitch Prime is giving out the standard PC version of the base game for free. I've played on PS4 a couple years ago. The free PC version comes with a 30 day sub. My confusion was if I could play past the 30 days as long as I was under the level cap. But after doing some more research, and with the help of your post, I understand now.

My current character is lvl 30 already. I'll hop back in for a hot second.
My confusion is whether or not your existing characters/playtime was limited to free trials or if you were saying you bought the base game on PS4, played for the included 30 days and then dropped it. You can't be playing on the free trial if you've already activated a game/sub. If you redeem the Twitch Prime code, you cannot revert to the free trial, even if you are still under the trial level cap. The best course of action would be to level from 30 to 35, then activate your Twitch Prime code. This won't work if you paid for anything (game, sub) on the PS4, though, as you'll need to immediately redeem the Twitch Prime code in that case (cannot play on the trial if you've paid for the base game on any platform)

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Sad that at the end of it all, Stormblood really wound up being worse than Heavensward in almost every regard. I still enjoyed my time with it, but it just feels like a step down. I'll be interested in seeing the ending later tonight, at least...

For stormblood a bunch of team leads stepped down to work on *unknown project*. They promoted from internally within the teams. Hopefully all the new staff has their legs under them now and Shadowbringers will be great. I dug up this old post from duckroll explaining it.

In 2.0 and Heavensward, Hiroshi Takai and Mitsutoshi Gondai were assistant directors. Kazutoyo Maehiro was the main scenario writer. Takai was the director of The Last Remnant. Gondai was the lead battle designer for FFXIV. Maehiro was a lead planner on The Last Remnant and worked as a planner/designer for all of Matsuno's "Ivalice" games - FFT, VS, FFXII.

At the end of the Heavensward patch cycle, just before Stormblood, all three stepped aside. Stormblood is carried by new leads who were promoted from the respective teams. So we have a director, a battle planner, and a scenario writer, who worked on the most well received FF game in the last decade, suddenly doing nothing for about a year now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
For stormblood a bunch of team leads stepped down to work on *unknown project*. They promoted from internally within the teams. Hopefully all the new staff has their legs under them now and Shadowbringers will be great. I dug up this old post from duckroll explaining it.

Yeah. I'm not mad at them or anything, I do just feel like SB is a step down. Hopefully...SB2...is better.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So....

Are we supposed to know who the guy with the sword on the battlefield at the end was?

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So....

Are we supposed to know who the guy with the sword on the battlefield at the end was?
It's likely the original Zenos who managed to transfer his consciousness to a new body through the artificial Echo. Similar to how we saw that one Sahagin with the Echo die and be reborn in another body.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
It's likely the original Zenos who managed to transfer his consciousness to a new body through the artificial Echo. Similar to how we saw that one Sahagin with the Echo die and be reborn in another body.

This kinda throws me off. They made it so obvious and beat your head with who that is that people being confused makes me wonder if they just completely skipped cutscenes or gloss through dialogue.

To the poster you were replying to.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So that's how he did it.
I wasn't aware Zenos even had an artificial Echo. Or maybe I forgot.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
What an anti-climatic ending. Doesn't even do a real good job setting things up.

Heavensward ended with this.

Stormblood ends with you going to an ARR landmark and Tataru giving you the latest in Nomura fashion....

Hilidibrand quest did more to build up Shadowbringers.

Never have played FF14, but hot damn that was a badass ending for Heavensward! I'd heard it was good, but now I want to play it!

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, I liked SB. While Heavensward was overall better, simply for how long it was built up going from 1.x to 2.55, SB had some parts I really enjoyed. I loved Alisae coming to the front and being such a big part of it after Alphi got so much attention in HW. I enjoyed a lot of the new areas, except for Yanxia. The music continued to be top notch. Omega was really good and I loved Ivalice. The quests overall were pretty interesting.

I felt that the lead up to ShB has been my favorite part, though. While they could have done a lot more ending hte story on the same note as they did with 2.55 by shuffling around some of the story scenes a bit to give it that same feeling of despair, I am super excited to see the payoff going into ShB.

Overall, not as good at HW, much better than ARR and overall a pretty enjoyable experience.

Now release the OST so I can put The Burn's music on my iPod and listen to it on repeat.

SonicThrust

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Yeah compared to the huge payoff of HW and ARR there's no big mega-twist like the Crystal Braves' betrayal or crazy spectacle of a cutscene like Shinryu vs Omega

However even though it doesn't go crazy it does make me more hype for Shadowbringer's opening. You just sorta walked into Ishgard and Gyr Abania on their release days... but it could be quite the spectacle on Shadowbringer's release actually going to and discovering what things are like on the first.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
PSA For Final Fantasy XV Event

Many of the rewards for the event are going to be purchased via MGP at the Gold Saucer, with the car costing 200k (if data miners are to be beleived).

Might want to start stocking up now if you're low.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PSA For Final Fantasy XV Event

Many of the rewards for the event are going to be purchased via MGP at the Gold Saucer, with the car costing 200k (if data miners are to be beleived).

Might want to start stocking up now if you're low.
Hm, I just passed 200k, so buying it would bankrupt me MGP wise... but if it's a limited thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.