• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Real Talk: Does the MQS structure and quest design change in the expansions?
Talk to NPC > Go to point B to interact and/or fight > Return to NPC. Start over.

Free account here. Been enjoying the game, but after 15 hours of samey quest design, it is wearing me down.
I want to "play"' the game (dungeons, trial, raids) but feel that MQS are holding me hostage with the unlockables.

I'm finally a WMG, just got regen. Starting to feel like an actual class.

No, the in between quests do always have the flow of go from point A to B with maybe some fighting in between, that's just kind of how MSQ questing is. However, as you move into the expansion, a lot of these quests will be more immediately relevant, you often won't have to travel outside the zone you're in, and there are much more things to break it up, whether it be cutscenes, or solo duties, or a blowdart/telescope minigame that comes later in the game. There'll also be less quests that are just straight busywork, which happens a lot in ARR, and often the gaps between dungeons, in terms of number of quests, is much shorter.

As an example, the gap between the first and second dungeons of ShB is 12 quests, while the gap between Toto-Rak and Haukke Manor (two ARR dungeons around your level) is 25 quests, and the ARR one goes through multiple zones, while the ShB one is basically 'get orders from base -> stay in new zone till dungeon')

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know EW combat changes yet, but considering every job has a bar or meter, and we are hitting the cap on what's reasonable on crosshotbar on controllers, I'm super curious what direction they are going to go in, but I don't think it will change up previous skills much and will be conservative and just augment what we have with new traits and maybe finishers.

They really just need to consolidate combos like PvP.

I play Ninja, so easy examples here:

* Main 3 hit combo - becomes 1 button that cycles, this frees up 2 buttons.
* Main 2 hit AoE combo - becomes 1 button that cycles, frees up 1 button.
* Dream within a Dream & Assassinate becomes 1 button, frees up 1 button.
* Trick Attack turns into Meisui if Trick Attack is on cooldown, freeing up 1 button.
* Do something with Armor Crush lol.

This frees up 5 buttons they can add new stuff with.

Combos aren't exactly the most skill based part of the game, rotations would still be difficult with them being consolidated (especially if they add an equal amount of buttons to make up for it to avoid the problem of PvP not having many buttons).

If they do this they can smooth out the early levels on fun while having new buttons for higher levels and still do more traits to mix stuff up.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Talk to NPC > Go to point B to interact and/or fight > Return to NPC. Start over.

Free account here. Been enjoying the game, but after 15 hours of samey quest design, it is wearing me down.
I want to "play"' the game (dungeons, trial, raids) but feel that MQS are holding me hostage with the unlockables.

The structure will be the same, but the quality and flow will be improved a ton.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

It'll get better as others said, but do keep in mind that the game's main focus is the story. All other contents are MSQ gated in a way so that it makes sense storywise, even if that means locking out new players of said content.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

ARR has the fetch quest problem more so apparent than the other expansion, quest design is more sprinkled with narrative and interesting tidbits in the later expansions. the midpoint questlines in ARR are abhorrently drawn out

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017

Be on the lookout for optional dungeons and the like (not all are at 50-60-70-80), great way to break up the back and forth.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
the only reason I'm levelling up and maining WHM rn is because I want to understand how OP Holy is in-game. I would like to witness Such Devastation™️

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the only reason I'm levelling up and maining WHM rn is because I want to understand how OP Holy is in-game. I would like to witness Such Devastation™️
I can't even listen to this glass shattering sound effect, holy crap. I swear I'm gonna start standing in AOEs just so the WHM doesn't have time to do anything but heal.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
If you're not a tank I'm not healing you for a mob pull.

I swear, with the limited experience I have with healing. it's insane to me how many DPSes go head first into get insane pulls. and here I am with Cure 2 😐 and I don't even have regen yet 😐😐

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
wow, I hope you are not in Shiva then 😅
I'm not :)
But I'm kidding, kinda. I played WHM up to 5.0, so I heard this sound too much haha. But it is very satisfying to use :D

If you're not a tank I'm not healing you for a mob pull.
:(
What if the tank is bad? After the last few weeks, I started waiting a few seconds after the initial tank pull before doing anything at all, I swear I've never died so much on mob pulls than 2 weeks ago.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Fishing is all I know that is affected.
ARR Sightseeing Log. Don't do it. It will drive you insane.
Fishing, ARR sightseeing, S rank hunt spawns, and chocobo racing are all affected by weather. Certain FATEs will cause a special weather pattern for that zone while active, and many instances (trials, raids, etc) have their own unique weather patterns.

Emeny and fate spawns in Eureka and Bozja instances are also affected by weather.
Ahh cool thanks for the info. A lot more than I expected

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
leKC1KT.png

na.finalfantasyxiv.com

Regarding Changes in Congested/Preferred Worlds (Jul. 19) | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

Regarding Changes in Congested/Preferred Worlds (Jul. 19)

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As someone relatively new (just finished ARR) who was playing on a preferred that's a bummer, though I did just pre-order Endwalker so at least I have that boost now.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
As someone relatively new (just finished ARR) who was playing on a preferred that's a bummer, though I did just pre-order Endwalker so at least I have that boost now.

pre-order bonus plus a preferred server exp boost....wow, add a free company exp boost and shit your level ups would have been insane!

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017

pre-order bonus plus a preferred server exp boost....wow, add a free company exp boost and shit your level ups would have been insane!

FYI, with preferred bonus exp boost, you can get 2 level 80 jobs from MSQ alone. Swap between your jobs to receive exp reward. If you play only one job you'll reach lv.80 before you even start Shadowbringers and waste the entire Shadowbringers exp quest reward.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
They really just need to consolidate combos like PvP.

I play Ninja, so easy examples here:

* Main 3 hit combo - becomes 1 button that cycles, this frees up 2 buttons.
* Main 2 hit AoE combo - becomes 1 button that cycles, frees up 1 button.
* Dream within a Dream & Assassinate becomes 1 button, frees up 1 button.
* Trick Attack turns into Meisui if Trick Attack is on cooldown, freeing up 1 button.
* Do something with Armor Crush lol.

This frees up 5 buttons they can add new stuff with.

Combos aren't exactly the most skill based part of the game, rotations would still be difficult with them being consolidated (especially if they add an equal amount of buttons to make up for it to avoid the problem of PvP not having many buttons).

If they do this they can smooth out the early levels on fun while having new buttons for higher levels and still do more traits to mix stuff up.
There's already something like this in the game, when you're given control of other characters in duties. I wouldn't be surprised if they move it to our actions for EW and it'll be a definite QoL increase.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
No, the in between quests do always have the flow of go from point A to B with maybe some fighting in between, that's just kind of how MSQ questing is. However, as you move into the expansion, a lot of these quests will be more immediately relevant, you often won't have to travel outside the zone you're in, and there are much more things to break it up, whether it be cutscenes, or solo duties, or a blowdart/telescope minigame that comes later in the game. There'll also be less quests that are just straight busywork, which happens a lot in ARR, and often the gaps between dungeons, in terms of number of quests, is much shorter.

As an example, the gap between the first and second dungeons of ShB is 12 quests, while the gap between Toto-Rak and Haukke Manor (two ARR dungeons around your level) is 25 quests, and the ARR one goes through multiple zones, while the ShB one is basically 'get orders from base -> stay in new zone till dungeon')
Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear, especially condensing the quests.

Another question. What does late game WBM playstyle look like?
Read somewhere that every class is supossed to dps, which caught me by surprise since I was expecting to just heal shit and watch the scenary. Don't know what is expected of me as a WBM.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017

Read somewhere that every class is supossed to dps, which caught me by surprise since I was expecting to just heal shit and watch the scenary. Don't know what is expected of me as a WBM.
WHM? You will be DPS'ing quite a bit, but the DPS "rotation" is so brain dead that it's really not a problem.

But it'll depend on what you're doing too. Wall to wall trash pulls in ShB dungoens for example you'll probably need to heal quite a bit, but for the bosses you'll most likely be 90% DPS

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

So high level WHM has a really nice loop where your instant cast heals (on a slowly regenerating resource) reward you with a big flashy DPS move, so that's really rewarding in terms of doing both your healing role and your DPS role effectively.

But with every healer, you basically have 3 DPS buttons. A single target spell (Which for you would be Stone), a damage over time (DoT) effect (Aero, right now) and a big area of effect (AoE) spell (Holy). When you have downtime in a fight which when no one needs healing, on a single target, keep up your DoT and then spam your single target damage spell until someone needs healing, and on packs of mobs that contain 3+ enemies, use Holy. Judging when best to do this you'll get the hang of over time, and you'll likely start off fairly conservative, and you'll have to adjust for each party you run with. But you get used to it, knowing your capabilities and judging it against your party.

Basically, think of DPSing as a healer as future damage mitigation. You do do a decent chunk of damage, and the faster the enemies die, the less damage they're going to put out. Also, your AoE spell, Holy, has a stun effect attached, which makes it a potent mitigation tool just by itself.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
SCH got some juicy PvP buffs. Dissipation + Biolysis will now be quite the combo, especially if you have Battle High 2 or higher in Frontline.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
FYI, with preferred bonus exp boost, you can get 2 level 80 jobs from MSQ alone. Swap between your jobs to receive exp reward. If you play only one job you'll reach lv.80 before you even start Shadowbringers and waste the entire Shadowbringers exp quest reward.

yeah I remember hearing about this but I play on Shiva lol

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017

WHM is really powerful at pure healing, both AoE and single target heal. But for normal content you barely have to heal with gcd. Most of the time you'll cast damage spell.

It has the highest dmg single target spell among healers, not doing any damage when there's nothing else to do is a bad habit. By helping ditch out damage healer make a run faster for everyone.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
You'll be able to get the best equipment with tomestones; that goes for each expansion until you reach current endgame.

yeah the Poetics ilevel 130 gear is going to be the best.

I finished the ARR story last night and was immediately overwhelmed by how many quest markers showed up on the map! In a good way, though, I like having lots to do in an MMO

I was expecting for it to take a while to get the Tomestones but getting 300 for doing one of the end scenarios is pretty nice

This is the first game I've had a "why am I stuck at work I want to go home and play" feeling about in a long time

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Testing BLM, and i find the story around BLM more interesting than anything i have read in ARR and beginning of Heavensward, its just kinda fun, and not so political like everything in ARR.

Also my char looked so cute and gay at one point xD

Bildschirmfoto-2021-07-20-um-10-53-08.png

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
So, uh... how the housing situation in FFXIV, I know it's limited and there is massive demand because of that, I'm wondering why is it so limited, can't they figure out some instancing to get rid of the problem? :>

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh... how the housing situation in FFXIV, I know it's limited and there is massive demand because of that, I'm wondering why is it so limited, can't they figure out some instancing to get rid of the problem? :>

Instanced housing existed in form of apartments and FC rooms, albeit in a much more limited sense. The problem comes from developers wanting housing to be a neighborhood full of player houses to visit and look out which obviously limits their option.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Well it seems like PvP BLM got nerfed, so that's unfortunate for me personally, boo.

The Feast reward is also thankfully not Cruise Chaser. It's... some kind of mount. I can't tell what it is. But it's not Cruise Chaser.

EDIT: Dreadnought from Binding Coils, apparently, which explains why I don't recognize it.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
Trust XP is so good now, they once again multiplied the gains by 2.5 so it would seem that one dungeon = one level if you keep the latest dungeon going.
I'm glad I waited, now I'll certainly up all Trust partners to 80.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My god this customer support is a full nightmare. Now I got an answere saying I should offer them more info to unlock my token IN A NEW TICKET, such as registration codes and such.... info that I already detailed in my old ticket. Fucks sake I even told them my FFXIV 1.0. registration code, alongside Heavensward reg code, cc used for payment and such... What in the flying hell is going on with EU support? They just... don't even look at the content of the emails?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
My god this customer support is a full nightmare. Now I got an answere saying I should offer them more info to unlock my token IN A NEW TICKET, such as registration codes and such.... info that I already detailed in my old ticket. Fucks sake I even told them my FFXIV 1.0. registration code, alongside Heavensward reg code, cc used for payment and such... What in the flying hell is going on with EU support? They just... don't even look at the content of the emails?

i made a ticket 4 days ago and still no answer...

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any best methods to grind for tomestones of revelation?

Time depended/Waiting:

Hunt Trains = 120 Stones, 480 Nutsacks (for iLevel 530 exchange material), lots of Materia ~ 20-30 Minutes per Hunt Train
Dalriada = 50 Stones, chance for notes, 3 Mil Mettle per run

Immediately:
Nier Dungeons = 20-30 Stones per run (?), get a medal per run (for iLevel 530 exchange material), chance for other drops like minions, the hair, orchestral rolls
Daily Roulette = depends on what you do, but also good enough

The quickest and most useful are the hunt trains imo. Pretty much depends on what your goals are.

Anyone know what the drop rate is like in bozja for the Loathsome memories now?

I heard almost 100% now, but CLL should still be quicker with its 5 per run (and since this patch you can also solo it).

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
What is the easiest / quickest way to get one of those purple weapons? The rarest I have is a blue one now.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
What is the easiest / quickest way to get one of those purple weapons? The rarest I have is a blue one now.

The color of the icon is more about where they're from; it's not really "rarity" in the same way as other games. Item level is what matters, not the color. At endgame you may pick a slightly lower ilvl piece than max due to its substats, but that's about it.

Purple are for relic weapons, which are from long/tedious questlines at the end of each part of the game. The easiest ones to make may be the current level 80 ones, the Resistance relics. But even then, you can get a better weapon in easier ways than that as it won't beat the best crafted weapons (ilvl 510, can be upgraded to 520) until the last steps.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
The color of the icon is more about where they're from; it's not really "rarity" in the same way as other games. Item level is what matters, not the color. At endgame you may pick a slightly lower ilvl piece than max due to its substats, but that's about it.

Purple are for relic weapons, which are from long/tedious questlines at the end of each part of the game. The easiest ones to make may be the current level 80 ones, the Resistance relics. But even then, you can get a better weapon in easier ways than that as it won't beat the best crafted weapons (ilvl 510, can be upgraded to 520) until the last steps.

So the relic weapons are about looks rather than effectiveness?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So the relic weapons are about looks rather than effectiveness?

For the most part, yes. Relics in this game are only BiS when the last step comes out which is only during the last major patch of the expansion. So right now the ShB relics are currently BiS, but they'll only be so until EW hits. Outside of that, their only purpose is glam and all the older relics (ARR, HW, and SB ones) are purely glam at this point.

The way to get the best weapons normally (in regards to stats) is by doing the last fight of the current savage tier. That drops the best weapon until the last relic step is released.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So I got another answer and finally they deactivated my token. So I can enter my account, everything is there, the game and HW registration, the days I was active..... But not my character. My character list is empty. Omg...

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
So I got another answer and finally they deactivated my token. So I can enter my account, everything is there, the game and HW registration, the days I was active..... But not my character. My character list is empty. Omg...
Is it loading the right data center/server? Sometimes it will try and look at the wrong one.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is it loading the right data center/server? Sometimes it will try and look at the wrong one.

Im not logged into the game. Im not gonna sub until I know my character still exists. The thing is when I try to renew my sub at the Mogstation it shows I have 0 characters in 0 worlds. Pretty sure I remember it used to list my characters.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Im not logged into the game. Im not gonna sub until I know my character still exists. The thing is when I try to renew my sub at the Mogstation it shows I have 0 characters in 0 worlds. Pretty sure I remember it used to list my characters.
There's a free login campaign going on, you don't need to sub, go log in and see if they're there

I'd imagine it's a glitch due to you not playing in a while, considering SE doesn't delete characters and even you couldn't get in, so I doubt someone broke into your account and deleted them

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
For the most part, yes. Relics in this game are only BiS when the last step comes out which is only during the last major patch of the expansion. So right now the ShB relics are currently BiS, but they'll only be so until EW hits. Outside of that, their only purpose is glam and all the older relics (ARR, HW, and SB ones) are purely glam at this point.

The way to get the best weapons normally (in regards to stats) is by doing the last fight of the current savage tier. That drops the best weapon until the last relic step is released.

I see. I checked out some of the relic weapons and they do look pretty cool. I'll probably try to get one for glam purposes as long as it isn't too tedious :p

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There's a free login campaign going on, you don't need to sub, go log in and see if they're there

I'd imagine it's a glitch due to you not playing in a while, considering SE doesn't delete characters and even you couldn't get in, so I doubt someone broke into your account and deleted them

Can I do the free log in on a PS5 if I used to play on PC?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I see. I checked out some of the relic weapons and they do look pretty cool. I'll probably try to get one for glam purposes as long as it isn't too tedious :p

The relics in this game are designed to be a long and monotonous grind, so you're likely to find it tedious at some point. They do nerf the relic steps as weeks go on so they get easier over time but they are still very much a grind.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
When someone puts something on the market for the same price that you did instead of undercutting you...

e6f5349a07fe7d14522146e0322270a3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.