• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Will do. It'll take some doing to top Syrcus Tower and Binding coil though.
Well if you're doing everything, then definitely check out the Void Ark and Alexander raid series too. Might be an unpopular opinion, but the 3rd part of the Void Ark series is still one of my favorites in the game. I just mentioned Warring Triad specifically due to it having more connective tissue to the overall main story.

Warring Triad is a series of Lv60 trials. I guess similar in structure to the primal stuff in 2.1-2.3. Except, you know, interesting. And they moved it to a side quest series instead clogging up the main scenario this time.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, question: I've always been a DRG and literally *never* had an ability that required me to target other players. However, I now have the "Left Eye" ability or whatever, which I can use on its own, but it benefits a party member if I link with them.

What's the best way to quickly target a player of my choice, then get back to fighting? How do healers do this? #ignorant

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Game put a 30 minute duty queue ban on me for being the first to back out on a dungeon becuase I forgot to unsynch so I needed fix it.

Well, screw you too, game.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
So, question: I've always been a DRG and literally *never* had an ability that required me to target other players. However, I now have the "Left Eye" ability or whatever, which I can use on its own, but it benefits a party member if I link with them.

What's the best way to quickly target a player of my choice, then get back to fighting? How do healers do this? #ignorant

If you play with a controller, the up and down d-pad buttons will cycle through the people in the party list. You can use that to select a person. I don't know play with a keyboard and mouse, but I assume people just select the player name from the party list with their mouse.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto

Most DRG's use a macro. This is the one I use
unknown.png

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

I play on PC and use a mouseover macro.

/merror off
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>
/micon "Dragon Sight"

Basically this spams the action ("ac") Dragon Sight on mouseover target (<mo>), suppresses error messages (merror off), and uses the Dragon Sight icon. The ability is spammed instead of just called once because macros can be kind of finicky.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I use that and just hover my mouse over...the player avatar in battle, or their little UI element in the party list?

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Got it.

Sometimes, it's hard to even locate the mouse during the maelstrom of combat. I wonder if I should replace it with a lime green version....

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
What's the best DOH job to lvl up first , I am very inclined to Armorer, which job did you guys start with?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
what's the fastest way to power level a gatherer to start the new tribe quests? I wanted to do it ages ago but gathering is just too boring.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man I forgot how slow leveling gets around mid 50s. I miss gaining 2 or 3 levels a dungeon

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Tried Ruby Weapon for the first time.

*wins pretty easily*

"GG, guys. Thanks for the party."

*weird parasite eve shit starts happening as a second phase becomes apparent*

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Just a reminder, 5.21 is coming Tuesday. Go cap your Ishgard scrips before then!

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Warrior to lvl 80 \o/ (just for the lvl 80 class gear low key)

Now wondering if I should go ALL the way back to my lvl 24 gladiator....or my lvl 9 pugilist I've been ignoring for the 3000+ hrs I've been playing...ugh

I dont want to buy jump potions.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I assume they do, given the technological level of Eorzea. In real life, oral hygiene is about as old as written language. There's archaeological evidence that the ancient Sumerians used chewing sticks with frayed ends to clean their teeth >5000 years ago.
Damn that's actually really interesting.

If Garlond Ironworks can invent coffee brewers I think they can do toothbrushes
I actually never noticed this. When do they brew coffee?

One day I will beat ruby ex with a PF group ; ;
This is how I feel about E6S. Maybe today is the day.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just got my first tank to 80. Dark Knight. That gives me at least one of each role type. Wonder if I should try and touch the crafting/gathering classes.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Magitech really makes direct comparisons to real life hard, anyway. Their technology has advanced much faster than their culture, politics, etc. The sultana of Ul'dah can use her cell phone to ring up the feudal lord of Doma to make dinner plans, and then teleport to his castle.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
What's a really good gathering and crafting guide on YouTube? I'm maybe considering leveling them depending on how easy it is to level, how easy it is to get filthy rich, and how much inventory I need.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
What's a really good gathering and crafting guide on YouTube? I'm maybe considering leveling them depending on how easy it is to level, how easy it is to get filthy rich, and how much inventory I need.
Crafting has never been easier and leveling is fast now as well, all the more reason if you want to make good money on it you need to be ahead of the horde, as in when new patch with new gear hit you need mats prepared, for the crafts and new books asap. Few hours of crafting+gathering new nodes and you make easy 100mil+ day one, then the prices drop like a rock

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about Red Mage: Where do engagment and reprise fit in the melee combo?

Am I right to assume reprise is mainly there to clean out left over mana before flipping back?

Not really sure why I would want to use engagement over displacement.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017

Engagement is meant to be an alternative to Displacement when you don't want to or can't move. It's also allows you to weave oGCD abilities while Displacement does not.

Leveling them is still a grind, but it's a pretty damn easy one. For DoH just use Ishgard turn-ins and for DoL just do Levequests and then Collectables once they unlock.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I have a question about Red Mage: Where do engagment and reprise fit in the melee combo?

Am I right to assume reprise is mainly there to clean out left over mana before flipping back?

Engagement is when you can't displacement without killing yourself. This happens most often in raiding, when you have to say stack with everyone and stay there until the aoe finishes or whatever, or behind you is the void/a death wall, so you have no way to backflip. In which case, it's better to use engagement than nothing(like in previous expansions). It's also used when you need to double weave oGCDs since it's "faster" than displacement since it doesn't move you. Mostly relevant for the opener.

Reprise is a filler, mostly used when you need to move but you don't have a fastcast or swiftcast up, and you know you'll move long enough you won't be on GCD when you can resume casting. This is again, mostly for endgame, when there's a bunch of forced movement. It's also used to dump mana when needed, such as before manafication to not waste mana.

Both are situational.

Last edited:

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Most DRG's use a macro. This is the one I use
unknown.png
I used to use a similar macro but not anymore. It's quicker for me to manually do it now versus a macro that sometimes you have to spam click to get to activate. I simply rearranged the order of my party list as DPS so other melee are near the top (after me), followed by physical ranged, then casters. I play with a Dualshock 4 so I just press down on the D-pad and put the tether on the person right below me in the party list.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
For gathering you'll make the most money right after a patch drops when everything's in high demand. It doesn't require that big of a time investment and even a "suboptimal" build will only be set back a few mats per node (or 1-2 if you're farming collectibles). You can make lots of money just running around and getting whatever the new legendary folklore mats are and it requires basically zero effort. Just do levequests to level gatherers, takes like 2-3 days to level them to max. Collectibles, custom deliveries, and the questline at the Mean all help too.

For crafting if you want to make REALLY big money that would be, again, right after a patch drops when all the new crafted weapons+armor is going for millions per piece. But you'd need high enough level gear (this includes melds+possibly some overmelding) to actually make everything, and you'd also need most of the crafter classes fully leveled so you can make all the in-between mats yourself from the base materials. Outside of that its mostly just seeing what's in demand and making it, but this is kind of a hassle. For leveling the easiest way is to just spam macros to make Ishgard restoration collectibles and turn those in. If you have any easy to make collectibles those are good, as are custom deliveries and the Mean facet quests. Levequests can be really helpful if they're for an easy to make intermediate item (ingots, bolts of cloth and the like). These tend to be easy to make, or you can sometimes buy the item off the marketboard for even less than the gil you'll make for doing the levequest. I leveled Weaver from 58 to 68 in about three minutes just by turning in items I bought from the marketboard and I made back all the money I spent doing it.

Fishing is its own thing, but fish go for so cheap on the marketboard that you can often just buy your levels from levequests. I leveled fishing up to 80 over this weekend with almost all of the time I spent on it being on the actual job quests and was out maybe only about 30K gil or so (I crafted my fishing rods).

Make sure to save gear as you level up a Hand/Land job, as other than the weapons everything is shared among all jobs. Don't bother with scrip gear or any of the high ilvl gear at level 50/60/70 since you'll just level right past those.

Even though I have all gatherers and most crafters fully leveled, it's still mostly easier for me to just do hunt trains/jump on S rank hunts and sell the materia + tomestone mats instead of going through the process of putting together everything myself. I might take a crack at making some of the new gear and selling it myself once patch 5.4 hits (I've only been leveling crafters recently), but that's a while away.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So far leveling crafters is pretty tedious because of switching back and forth between classes to make materials or buying them from shops.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still upset that FFXIV/FFVII theme still isn't recognizing the fact that I own FFXIV and Shadowbringers. I bought the complete edition dammit just let me have the theme.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Wait...You need a relic weapon to get the Elemental armor in Pyros, is that right?

Well, screw that.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Wait...You need a relic weapon to get the Elemental armor in Pyros, is that right?

Well, screw that.
You need to advance the relic weapon quest to the Pyros step yeah, so you need to do Anemos(easy) and Pagos(a lot more annoying). Same for Hydatos if you want the glowing elemental armor, you'd need to complete the Pyros weapon step(between anemos and pagos annoyingness). You also need to unlock all the Logos actions to get the armor so it takes some time/money anyway.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Ima need some tips on being efficient with crafting because constantly going back and rebuilding standard materials like hempen cloth and stuff is driving me crazy. Should I just buy a ton of shit I commonly use in bulk while I do the crafting log? This isn't fun anymore.

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
Bought a house to naturally decided to level carpenter and botanist to 50. Now I am broke, my house is full of logs and I am woefully undergeared for the next level of content. I am an idiot.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Ima need some tips on being efficient with crafting because constantly going back and rebuilding standard materials like hempen cloth and stuff is driving me crazy. Should I just buy a ton of shit I commonly use in bulk while I do the crafting log? This isn't fun anymore.
Well it depends on how you're lvling. There's detailed guides to do leves for example that'll tell you exactly how many materials you need to turn in the right amount of leves. You could also level doing Ishgard restoration turn ins which have much more limited material types, but it's probably more expensive.

Otherwise for "normal" leveling, I'd definitely recommend buying bulk stacks, converting it into materials, and then selling the surplus on the market once you're done with a particular type of item(can be worth keeping a few though since higher tiers often have one item that require a lower tier material and what not. If you have a bunch of money I definitely wouldn't concern myself with buying "not too much", just buy a few hundred stuff and make hundreds of cloth/ingots/leathers/lumbers of each type and then figure out what you need. Low lvl materials still sell surprisingly well on the market even NQ, generally you'll recoup your costs or at least a fair amount of it, and it saves you a lot of trouble.

Generally that's my crafting way when there's an expansion or whatever. Just buy everything in large amounts, don't sweat it. You'll make the money back anyway, it's only an issue if you're at risk of running out of money soon(which is why I farm a nice surplus of money before an expansion). In SB since I didn't craft much in HW I had to do 50-70 on many classes(and 60-70 on others with all the class quests since I didn't bother doing most anyway) and ended up spending like 35 or 40millions leveling(terrible time to buy materials mind you, just at SB launch so everything was expensive). Wasn't a big deal though because I made the money back in a week and a half once I got my stuff maxed. Obviously it won't cost as much now, but don't hesitate dumping a few millions to get to 50+, and then resell most of your ARR mats to make room and get like a million back, and do the process again for HW.

Status
Not open for further replies.