• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Are you starting Heavensward or starting post-ARR? Difference between the two. Heavensward is strong right off the bat but it requires finishing post-ARR to get there which is definitely a slog to get through with a great payoff at the very end; still a damn slog though.

As I posted earlier I'm just starting Shadowbringers and so far it's a strong start. Regarding Stormblood I enjoyed it though it does have flaws. I'd say wait off to buying other xpacs and see if you enjoy Heavensward before committing.
Yea, post-ARR, my bad. Doing some mad teleporting around right fucking now, these quests are crazy tiring... lol

Got some new gear, though.

k9E7Mfc.png

Also you look like nerd, you healing nerd
Guilty...

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what are some good and very broad overviews on tanking 101? Levelling warrior is helping expose how little I really know about boss mechanics, positioning and general raid behaviours. I'm only level 54 but I find I'm still in that healer zone of watching the party health bar when maybe I should be spending more time looking at the enemy cast bar

We level so fast now that by the time we new tanks get to 70 content we are still pretty fucking stupid, even if we've been playing the game a long time 😅

This is a bit outdated since some things changed, but is good advice overall.
BlnLLeX.png

Late response and all that, sorry

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Any chance someone has a Starter Edition code kicking around? My partner has started playing with me and would like to dive deeper into crafting, but it's hard / impossible to get much traction on the free version. I'm happy to drop the money on the Starter Edition for them but thought I'd ask first, since there were a ton a codes circulating from Twitch a while back.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah should've probably mentioned that I know the guide is old but the way aggro works now is so braindead I wonder how tanks still lose aggro in dungeons and trials

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Yea, post-ARR, my bad. Doing some mad teleporting around right fucking now, these quests are crazy tiring... lol

My best advice to you is to keep at it and don't be afraid to take breaks if you feel burnt out. Know that the payoff after doing the slog of quests is definitely worth (though they can still trim a buttload of quests from that segment of the game). And I mean worth in terms of voiced cutscenes and narrative.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I'm 5 or 6 quests away from finising the Stromblood MSQ. So far I really like the new zones. I think they were much more interesting overall than those in Heavensward. I loved how you would move to specific zones at the beginning of the expansion, but couldn't explore everything since you were basically gate locked from the rest until much later on in the MSQ. Heavensward did this with the first zone you explored, but it wasn't done nearly as well as how Stormblood did it. I also loved how you would start in the western continent then move on to
free Doma
on the eastern side only to go back to
Gyr Abania
and finish the job in
Ala Mhigo.
I admit the MSQ, from the 115 quests or so that I've done isn't as poignant as the one in Heavensward, but it's still interesting nonetheless. The war thematic is well done. About what I expected from the game really. I like the villain. I like how
you would have many duels with him, with a visible progression on how well you did against him each time.
I felt like my character was getting stronger. Meanwhile the obligatory dungeons from the MSQ were overall quite good. Maybe not quite on par with Heavensward, but some of them really managed to make a great impression such as
Bardam's Mettle and Doma Castle
. I've also heard that the lvl 70 dungeons were really, really great too. Many say they are even better than ARR or HW so I can't wait to do them (I'm like 40% exp away from reaching lvl 70)!

Overall I am very impressed. I can't wait to see how the SB MSQ ends and I am eager to start The Legend Returns MSQ patched content.

Last edited:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I did the lv80 drg quest. I didn't even realize there were job quests this expansion until I went to coeurthas central highlands. I'm guessing these are meant to cap off the original storylines of the jobs so that new ones can be introduced. It was literally like a recap episode of what has happened so far in your character's tale pertaining to that job. Are all of the lv80 job quests like this or is it just drg in particular? I was hoping to get some lore on the dragons.

GamerKingFaiz

Nov 15, 2017
Started this game over the weekend as a CNJ/WHM and have got a few questions.

1. Do most healers just click on a party member and then click their keybind to heal? Coming from WoW where I had heal frames, this interaction just feels really awkward. Especially after the heal when I want to tab back to the original mob I was DPSing, but then the tab targetting targets something completely different.

2. Through leveling so far I've picked up a bunch of extra gear and crafting mats. What should I be doing with these? Are they already saved to my "glamour" inventory like in WoW, or do I need to save the gear to then transmog it later? And for crafting mats should I save them, sell them to a merchant, or put them up on the AH?

3. Last thing I was wondering about is how do I level a new job? I'm on a preferred server so I'm shooting past the level requirements of MSQ. I was thinking about taking up another job, but what would I do to level this new job? Just all the random side quests that I hadn't done yet? Or are there new quests that get unlocked?

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

1. Do most healers just click on a party member and then click their keybind to heal? Coming from WoW where I had heal frames, this interaction just feels really awkward. Especially after the heal when I want to tab back to the original mob I was DPSing, but then the tab targetting targets something completely different.

2. Through leveling so far I've picked up a bunch of extra gear and crafting mats. What should I be doing with these? Are they already saved to my "glamour" inventory like in WoW, or do I need to save the gear to then transmog it later? And for crafting mats should I save them, sell them to a merchant, or put them up on the AH?

3. Last thing I was wondering about is how do I level a new job? I'm on a preferred server so I'm shooting past the level requirements of MSQ. I was thinking about taking up another job, but what would I do to level this new job? Just all the random side quests that I hadn't done yet? Or are there new quests that get unlocked?

1. You usually press F1 to F4-F8 to target a party member. And then just click/press the key to heal. To target back the mob, press T (will target the mob the party member you just healed is attacking).

2. For glamour you need glamour prisms, go to your inn room and there use the Glamour Dresser to make the plates. There are a few rules for glamour, but the most important one: you can't glam a level 15 item with the appareance of a level 80 item (for example). There is no Action House, but a Market Board. You can sell the mats in the market board, you can use them with your crafting classes,.. if you sell them in the MB, look up the prices (search "mogboard" in google).

3. You have your job, you go to whichever city your NEW job is, go to their guild/mission, get it, activate it, do like 1-2 steps, and you have the new job, simple as that. To level the new job you can do Dungeons, Fates, Sidequests, procedural leveling (Palace of the Dead-Heaven on High), Hunts, Tribe Missions. The most important thing is that you do your roulettes.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The old cloud mount was white, while this new one is literally just Kintōun, lol.

I did the lv80 drg quest. I didn't even realize there were job quests this expansion until I went to coeurthas central highlands. I'm guessing these are meant to cap off the original storylines of the jobs so that new ones can be introduced. It was literally like a recap episode of what has happened so far in your character's tale pertaining to that job. Are all of the lv80 job quests like this or is it just drg in particular? I was hoping to get some lore on the dragons.

They're hit or miss, honestly. The others aren't quite as recap happy as DRG, and instead do a tiny bit of building on whatever the last story was. They're kind of just there, lol.

BLM, for example, has you go meet Lalai, who needs your help convincing her order to accept the book she wrote since the last time you spoke with her.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the BRD Level 80 quest was nice. One final performance and the title you get is sweet. Haven't taken off "Song Upon the Wind" since

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017

I set the Tank as a Focus Target and have the Focus Target box down near my hotbars, so I can either use Shift+Tab to target the Tank or just click on the Focus Target box (or the Party List). It also lets me keep track of the Tank's HP without having to glance up at the Party List, either.

xoXnXqo.png

It just helps me move the mouse and my eyes less, instead of constantly having to check or click the upper left box.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It seems it depends, jobs like DRK, SAM and others seems to give the epilogue to its respective plot lines.

Overall all quests seems to give some kind of closure to it's storyline. It kinda gives the feeling the won't be coming back (although in DRK it gives some implications of a new plot Sidurgu and Rielle)

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
1. You usually press F1 to F4-F8 to target a party member. And then just click/press the key to heal. To target back the mob, press T (will target the mob the party member you just healed is attacking).

Ah, thanks for this. I've just started my first few dungeons and could tell that clicking on names / tabbing through enemies wasn't how I was "supposed" to do it.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wonder if the Moogle tomestone event will increase the activity for MSQ roulette and help a bit with those DPS queue times. Got RDM to 77 now and MSQ roulette seems like a pretty chill way to level at this point (just making sure to watch or listen to something in the background to stay entertained lol).

Also a bit tempted to get that cloud mount. I'm not even that big a Dragon Ball fan, but just something cool about flying around Eorzea in a cloud lol. And while I wouldn't call $12 for a mount 'cheap' by any means, I suppose it's not terrible compared to the prices on some of the other ones currently on the cash shop.
Did hear depending on your character's race and maybe gender they either sit or stand on the mount. I think the standing looks a bit cooler, so will have to look into that before I get it.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Anyone know the specific math on MSQ roulette XP? I'm wondering if doing MSQ roulette every day of the Moogle Tomestone event would get my DRK from 63 to 80 (probably wouldn't, but I'd still like to know how close it gets me). I've been doing PvP every day for those marks and tomes anyways, so these Moogle Tomestones are a nice bonus

Any chance someone has a Starter Edition code kicking around? My partner has started playing with me and would like to dive deeper into crafting, but it's hard / impossible to get much traction on the free version. I'm happy to drop the money on the Starter Edition for them but thought I'd ask first, since there were a ton a codes circulating from Twitch a while back.

Still looking? I found an ARR key sitting unredeemed from a Humble Bundle in 2015 while sifting through my unredeemed Humble keys last week, was planning to give it away in here anyways but didn't get around to it, no clue if the key still works or not though

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know the specific math on MSQ roulette XP? I'm wondering if doing MSQ roulette every day of the Moogle Tomestone event would get my DRK from 63 to 80 (probably wouldn't, but I'd still like to know how close it gets me). I've been doing PvP every day for those marks and tomes anyways, so these Moogle Tomestones are a nice bonus

Still looking? I found an ARR key sitting unredeemed from a Humble Bundle in 2015 while sifting through my unredeemed Humble keys last week, was planning to give it away in here anyways but didn't get around to it, no clue if the key still works or not though
I think you could do it, but that's my gut feeling. Wait for the adventurer in need bonus to line up with Tank and you'll get a fuckton of XP.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Does anyone have any idea when the 5.1 patch is going to hit (and end the moogle event)? Kinda want some of those mounts but I don't want to panic grind a lot, since I still have so much shit to do in this game.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Does anyone have any idea when the 5.1 patch is going to hit (and end the moogle event)? Kinda want some of those mounts but I don't want to panic grind a lot, since I still have so much shit to do in this game.

I think the going prediction is end of October, maybe last Tuesday of the month (think that's the day of the week big patches usually go up). Event will probably last at least 3 if not 4 weeks in that case.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
It's definitely either the 22nd or the 29th. Predicted odds will differ depending on who you're asking, but I'd say 80% 22nd/20% 29th

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Shadowbringer spoilers images (right after doing the first dungeon), but this is one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever experienced in an MMORPG.

SPOILER_ffxiv_09302019_123602_192.png

SPOILER_ffxiv_09302019_123608_125.png

SPOILER_ffxiv_09302019_123612_609.png

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
How many mounts are available? Is it one of those "def have to grind to afford one or two of them situation?" or is it more of a "def have to grind to get all of them sorta situation?"

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I started fishing in the game lately and it's super relaxing. Then I started doing it near the Limsa aetheryte and just people watched while fishing. I have come to conclusion that Hrothgar hate clothes.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
How many mounts are available? Is it one of those "def have to grind to afford one or two of them situation?" or is it more of a "def have to grind to get all of them sorta situation?"
152 mounts in the game (some are real money only)
The grind level of each specific mount varies heavily
The vast majority of them are locked behind specific achievements/goals, it's not like you grind out gil to get them
A mount is provided to you at level 20, so it's not like you'll be mountless if that's your concern

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
152 mounts in the game (some are real money only)
The grind level of each specific mount varies heavily
The vast majority of them are locked behind specific achievements/goals, it's not like you grind out gil to get them
A mount is provided to you at level 20, so it's not like you'll be mountless if that's your concern

Sorry! I just meant for the moogle event, not overall.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Sorry! I just meant for the moogle event, not overall.
There are 10 mounts, with one being basically exclusive
You could get two or three of them if you did your Frontline roulette every day (10-20 mins) i.e. 21 times (could just run them in large chunks if you want, but doing Frontline Roulette daily is pretty good XP/Phanta tomes to get along side your Moogle tomes)
The non-exclusive ones are not particularly hard to get outside of this event (some can be grindy though), so you don't need to get them now if you don't want to

Last edited:

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
How responsive is their customer support? I got logged out of the software token for some reason and don't have the removal password....

BTW iOS13.x has so many bugs. It made my AirPods and Apple Watch keep disconnecting and now this....

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
How responsive is their customer support? I got logged out of the software token for some reason and don't have the removal password....

BTW iOS13.x has so many bugs. It made my AirPods and Apple Watch keep disconnecting and now this....
I've luckily never had to contact them, but I think email can be pretty slow, I'd call them tomorrow, I think their phone support can help you out with this

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

I've tried searching the answer to this online but couldn't find an exact answer, so if anyone knows that would be great info. All I can say is it gives a pretty solid amount of XP. I just got Castrum today as a Lv 77 RDM and it gave me just under 10 mill XP, or about a third of the XP bar. Prae gives even more but of course takes longer to run. It feels like pretty easy XP for not much work. A lot of times I'll put on a lecture I have to watch for work and do PotD/HoH (for pre-70 leveling) or MSQ roulette and kill 2 birds with one stone lol.
Unfortunately don't know exactly how far it'd get you from 63 to 80, but if you combine it with Alliance Raid Roulette (and wear lower ilvl gear to guarantee getting the ARR Alliance Raids) have to imagine it'd get you a decent chunk of the way there without much effort spent (not to mention both get you the Moogle Tomestones).

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I've luckily never had to contact them, but I think email can be pretty slow, I'd call them tomorrow, I think their phone support can help you out with this

yeah i am in Canada and I remember they don't have a toll free line (so international call charge...)... i guess i'll try online chat...

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's definitely either the 22nd or the 29th. Predicted odds will differ depending on who you're asking, but I'd say 80% 22nd/20% 29th

I really hope 5.1 is on the 22nd. I've got surgery on the 29th and won't be able to play for a while. I would like to do the 24 man when it's new, instead of just watching streams of it.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Excuse me, that's clearly a duckling
You trying to pull a fast one on us?

The real goose is going to be added in 5.1, when Yoshi-P announces that as part of the SMN rework, instead of trying to rescue Titan-Egi out of the trash can, he's cutting it and replacing it with Goose-Egi. You heard it here first (and last)

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This will be my first reset since I got the 470 tome weapon definitely looking to see where my parse is gonna be now in e1s-e3s. I might not get them all done tomorrow though as I'll be focusing more on the Brewers wild card game tomorrow. Hopefully I can get e1s done in the morning before I go to work.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017

I had the same thing happen to me on Friday. I had reset my iPhone because the battery was being shitty and it wiped out my Token app. I emailed them that night and had a response Saturday after noon. Not immediate but pretty good. I explained what happened and provided my token key and they just removed it.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I had the same thing happen to me on Friday. I had reset my iPhone because the battery was being shitty and it wiped out my Token app. I emailed them that night and had a response Saturday after noon. Not immediate but pretty good. I explained what happened and provided my token key and they just removed it.

good to know! I opened an email ticket and a chat link...hope it doesn't complicate things lol.

katagai

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried searching the answer to this online but couldn't find an exact answer, so if anyone knows that would be great info. All I can say is it gives a pretty solid amount of XP. I just got Castrum today as a Lv 77 RDM and it gave me just under 10 mill XP, or about a third of the XP bar. Prae gives even more but of course takes longer to run. It feels like pretty easy XP for not much work. A lot of times I'll put on a lecture I have to watch for work and do PotD/HoH (for pre-70 leveling) or MSQ roulette and kill 2 birds with one stone lol.
Unfortunately don't know exactly how far it'd get you from 63 to 80, but if you combine it with Alliance Raid Roulette (and wear lower ilvl gear to guarantee getting the ARR Alliance Raids) have to imagine it'd get you a decent chunk of the way there without much effort spent (not to mention both get you the Moogle Tomestones).

I'm pretty sure at 79 you'll get upwards of 19mil, which is about half the required experience to get to 80. So ballpark is probably around 50% of your experience bar.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Need some help for a friend. He just started with the game through Steam but I recommended him the normal Windows version. Iirc there's fuckiness with the two. Is he able to buy the non Steam version and register it to his account as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.